Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tell me about 'hormone free' milk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 25 2007 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Hi there,

I'm brand-new to this discussion board and was just browsing and noticed this thread. I must say, I am really impressed at how civil this conversation has been! I've been in a lot of online groups where topics like this can get ugly. I'm glad to be here!

We get raw milk as well, and I just wanted to add that it is really important to know the farmer and trust him. That is one of the reasons our family buys this milk--the human contact. We've visited the farm several times and are confident in the farmer's handling practices. Our farmer supplies 600 families on a weekly basis and no one has ever been sick.

I've appreciated seeing Kristine's perspective on all of this as well. Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Susan
Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Welcome Susan!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 26 2007 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SusanJ wrote:
I'm brand-new to this discussion board and was just browsing and noticed this thread. I must say, I am really impressed at how civil this conversation has been! I've been in a lot of online groups where topics like this can get ugly. I'm glad to be here!

We're glad you are here, too, Susan. We do strive to be a respectful community in our on-line discussions, so I'm glad that has been apparent in this discussion. I would second that this has been a very respectful discussion on what is often a very heated topic. It is very interesting to hear the different views articulated.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2007 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Over here in Australia, Sally Fallon, author of Nourishing Traditions is touring. I spent last weekend at her seminar which has been a God-sent.

I think Australia always tends to follow the States lead more slowly and so while I happen to have easy access to raw milk, it really is not that commonly used or easily found.

Our state has also tried very hard to close the raw milk industry down. One farmer re-labelled his milk as, "Cleo's Bathing Milk" ...it's great to bath in!" due to the pressure of not advertising it as 'drinking' raw milk.

The main thing I wanted to add to this discussion is that it would be interesting to have a forum poll set up, as I would love to see how many women drink pasturised compared to raw...

What is very sad is the restriction or loss of choice, raw dairy products should be as freely avaliable as those who buy pasturised as their personal preference.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

aussieannie wrote:
Over here in Australia, Sally Fallon, author of Nourishing Traditions is touring. I spent last weekend at her seminar which has been a God-sent.

You are so lucky! We follow Nourishing Traditions as best we can. We have recently relocated and I have just found a new source for Raw Milk. It's so delicious. We don't drink hardly any milk that isn't raw.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2007 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well.. I don't have any info to help.. just that I find the smell of "organic" milk different (better) than regular milk.. I tend to sniff the milk before pouring.. everytime.. even when I just open it and it's good by dates..

But I don't much like milk to start with

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 27 2007 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote simplemama

This thread has been very interesting. I recently read the Real Milk and similar articles and am scamming through some info in a book called Nourishing Traditions, connected to the Weston Price foundation.

I am having a hard time deciphering wheter to drink any milk at all right now. The information out there is so confusing! Right now we just use rice milk but i know that has a lot of sugar and not a whole lot of nutrition. I just use it for baking/cooking and occasional cereal.

so I had been getting ready to buy some raw milk but now I don't know what to do.

Is there any harm in just not drinking any type of milk? I love baking and don't know of a better alternative.
Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Great information and discussion!

What about the rGH (bovine somatotrophin) which is supposed to be an artificial growth hormone? That is the hormone that most organic foods say isn't used on their cows.

About the raw milk, a local family decided to take up the raw milk way, until a daughter caught Ecoli from drinking it. Now they are much more wary!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 29 2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

simplemama wrote:
This thread has been very interesting. I recently read the Real Milk and similar articles and am scamming through some info in a book called Nourishing Traditions, connected to the Weston Price foundation.

I am having a hard time deciphering wheter to drink any milk at all right now. The information out there is so confusing! Right now we just use rice milk but i know that has a lot of sugar and not a whole lot of nutrition. I just use it for baking/cooking and occasional cereal.

so I had been getting ready to buy some raw milk but now I don't know what to do.

Is there any harm in just not drinking any type of milk? I love baking and don't know of a better alternative.

We've been where you are! In the end, we decided to purchase only organic milk in order to avoid the added rgbh hormone, and in the hopes of reaping some of the benefits of consuming milk from pasture fed cows (note: organic milk differs in its sources - check each company to find out how its cows are fed.) I like Organic Valley - they are a company representing several small dairy farmers who pasture feed their cows, and do not add additional hormones, etc. Because of the price, we did cut back on the amount of milk consumed around here. My 6yo can chug a half gallon daily on his own! We drink water with most meals, and allow milk for desserts, yogurt making, and for baking. Occasionally, I'll let the 6yo have a glass with a meal, but I limit it to one glass. I'm very drawn to raw milk, but after doing a fair amount of research (some of it with my dad who is a doctor of immunology ) I decided to stick with pasteurized. I don't dispute the the problems associated with pasteruization, just chose what I thought was the lesser of the evils for our family at this time.   Spent a lot of time in prayer to the Holy Spirit asking for the gift of wisdom regarding this. HTH

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version