Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2005) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
angelemc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 18 2005 at 4:56pm | IP Logged  

Hi All,

My name is Angele. I am a mom of five, homeschooling 3ds ages 11,9, and 6, and finally getting around to posting an introduction. We live in GA, originally from LA, and have homeschooled for about 6 years. I have gleaned so much helpful information from Charlotte Mason's writings, Real Learning, and the wisdom of ladies on this forum. Thank you so much - for being such a blessing to Catholic homeschoolers.

Angele
Back to Top View angelemc's Profile Search for other posts by angelemc

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2005 at 8:02pm | IP Logged  

I am Cay and live in LA with my dh of 18+ years and our 5 dc. We've hsed using an eclectic mix...usually whatever suits the weather, the season, the moment.

Corey is my graduating senior this year, Kayleigh is in 10th, Garrett is in 6th/7th, Chelsea is my 2nd grade 1st communicant, and Annie is impassioned with reading books, doing her little preschool books and working on her Montessori trays...she's busy, busy, busy.

Aren't we all? It's so fun!!!
~ Cay ~

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

PamSmith
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 19 2005 at 7:01am | IP Logged  

Hi!
I'm Pam. I live north of Boston with my husband Douglas (mortg. banking atty) and our two children Hunter (10 yrs) and Charlotte (8 yrs). We have just finished our first year of homeschooling. We used a combination of MODG and CM. MODG helped me to feel secure that I was providing structure while I was learning about, getting the hang of, and slowly integrating CM. This year we will be bring more CM into our schooling and "weaning" the MODG. Homeschooling has been the BEST thing we have ever done for our children and family. I wish we had done this sooner. It has changed our lives so much for the better!

cjmr
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 30 2005 at 8:28am | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Cheri.

I homeschool my 7 yo son and I also have a 2 yo daughter. I live in Bowie, MD, with husband Jerry, our children, and two elderly cats.

If asked, I'd describe myself as Lutheran with Catholic tendencies. For the last couple of years I've been feeling a pull to take a leap of faith to Catholicism, but as usual for me with everything in life I've been called to do, I'm digging my heels into the status quo.
Back to Top View cjmr's Profile Search for other posts by cjmr

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 31 2005 at 1:16pm | IP Logged  

My name is Amanda Rashford. I live in Woodstock, Georgia with my three children: Stephen, 5, Michael John, 2 1/2, and Mary Clare, 10 mo. We will officially begin kindergarten this fall. My life was changed by reading Elizabeth's book and I look forward to a lifetime of learning with my beautiful gifts from God. Thank you for all the time all of you have put into posting and responding. I have learned much.
God Bless you all,
Amanda
Back to Top View rashfordmom's Profile Search for other posts by rashfordmom

misa95ag
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 31 2005 at 10:47pm | IP Logged  

Hello all,

My name is Michelle. I live in East Texas with my 4 children: dd 12yo, ds 8yo, ds 5yo, and ds 21mo. My dh is currently serving this blessed country in Afghanistan. We have been home-schooling our children for 7+ years and love it so much. I never really had a set method of teaching...just sort of jumped in and did it how we wanted to...and have learned to adapt through the years to what came our way. I kept hearing people talk about Charlotte Mason and it sounded like what we were doing. So after all this time, I sat down and read a book about it and was pleased to learn that others home-schooled like we do! So here I am and hope to learn more and broaden our understanding of this wonderful way of learning.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2005 at 9:20pm | IP Logged  

Hi everyone.

This is my long overdue introduction. I've been reading here and posting occasionally for the last few months.

Dh and I have 5 children 12-4months old, and have homeschooled since the first was in Kindergarten.

We are converts from conservative evangelicalism, since Easter Vigil 2002. All the books I read on homeschooling tend toward CM and Unschooling, but I couldn't put a label to what we do. But it sort of works for us and gets a little bit better each year. :-)

I love to read books, bake bread, watch the Brady Bunch and Good Eats with my children and DH (our current dvd's of choice) and I love to learn new things, especially if its related to History. I am a fan of Jane Austen and U2.

And I'm awfully glad this forum is around. Y'all encourage me more than you could know.

Nice to meet you all!

Bookswithtea
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2005 at 12:32pm | IP Logged  

Hello, everyone.

This is just my second year homeschooling. I have an almost 7 year old son in first grade who is on the high end of the Autism Spectrum. He is actually borderline Asperger's. We spend a lot of our mornings running to therapy. I also have an almost 4 year old, a 2 year old and a 2 month old daughter. We've been blessed.

When I was first researching homeschooling, I came across For the Children's Sake and fell in love with the idea of a CM education for my children. I'm still working on it, but am excited about it all. I discovered Elizabeth Foss's book and ordered it two weeks ago. I felt everything click into place when I started reading it and couldn't be happier about the Catholicism. Finally!!

I know I will learn a lot through this site and am very, very excited.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Patrick
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 09 2005 at 5:01pm | IP Logged  

Howdy!
My name is Patrick and I'm single, have no children, and I certainly don't homeschool. What am I doing here? Good question.

Tim is a close friend and former co-worker and he asked me to see about posting on this board. Right now I'm in a transition from being a computer programmer in College Station, TX to being a student in Washington DC. I'll be attending the John Paul II Institute to get a Master of Theological Studies in Marriage and Family. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two from all of these good Catholic families!

God bless,
Patrick
Back to Top View Patrick's Profile Search for other posts by Patrick

Laura
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2005 at 3:42pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
My name is Laura and I live in Virginia Beach, Va. I have been married for almost 20 years now! My dh and I have 6 children ranging in age from 17 down to 2. I am due any time now with number 7. My due date was August 11. I re-subbed to the CMlist, and found these boards! They are great, and since the list is much quieter then it used to be I thought I'd join up here as well. We currently use MODG, but I still dream of one day using my own CM approach for K-8, and then MODG for 9-12. I have been a CM wanna be for over 6 years now! We have been home schooling for 9 years. Each time I have stepped back and taken a break away from the computer, I have missed you all dearly.
JMJ,
Laura
Back to Top View Laura's Profile Search for other posts by Laura

ElisabethGrace
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2005 at 2:32pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
My name is Angela. We are hsing our four dc in TX. I stumbled upon these forums and was delighted to discover that we know the webhost family from our time in their town! Anyway, we hs using a mix of classical and Catholic CM. Our children are ds 10, dd 7, ds 3, and dd 1. Nice to "meet" all of you.
Blessings,
Angela
Back to Top View ElisabethGrace's Profile Search for other posts by ElisabethGrace

esperanza
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 8:29am | IP Logged  

Hi, my name is Tammy and I began hsing 13 years ago. My dh is Johnny and he is an incredible hard working dh and dad to eight dc ranging in age from 1 to 20. My oldest was married this summer I have been lurking around this site for some time ..I see many familiar names from other groups. I am especially drawn to the charitable atmosphere of this forum.
Currently, I am hsing my 14yos and 16yod. My introduction into hsing was very relaxed. I read Ruth Beechick and the Moores. I cried when I read For The Children's Sake and Charlotte Mason Companion years ago. I am still struggling with developing habits and having routines. This is my year to have physical help..and I hope to have friends here to share the liturgical year, hsing teens, managing a busy household, support thru sleep deprivation...teens and nursing babies can be exhausting!..and so rewarding!
Gotta run my dd to apply for a job at The Coffee Bar...Thank goodness its not Starbucks!!

Tammy Gonzalez in VA
dh-Johnny
mom to Tara-'85, Noelle-'88, Jeremy-'91, Elizabeth-'93, Emma-'96, Dominic-'99, Gabriel-'01, Elijah-03
and Jacinta-06
Back to Top View esperanza's Profile Search for other posts by esperanza

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2005 at 10:27am | IP Logged  

Hello everyone! Bridget recommended this site to me, so hear I am - ready to see what going on here and hoping to find some interesting bits to add to my own hs-ing life.

This is our 5th year homeschooling. I've got 5th, 4th, 2nd, 1st, K, a 3 yo old and a 1 year old this year. I'm none too keen on unschooling at his time, but have heard you don't have to be an unschooler to appreciate this forum??

Anyhoo. Looking forward to learning from the other moms/dads here!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

JenQ
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 26 2005 at 11:51pm | IP Logged  

Hello to all,

My name is Jennifer. Our family of five lives in Eastern Ontario and will be expanding in late September with the birth of our fourth child. We have been interested in homeschooling since a priest (good friend of the family) suggested it 3-4 years ago. I would say that we have been unschooling in a "CMish" style since then. Our oldest will be turning six in October so the heat is being turned up by some relatives who think he should be in school (my mother, MIL - the grandfathers are wisely silent :) My husband and my Dad are strongly behind our children learning at home.    

I have been on the CCM and various CM lists for likely more than a year now and have read most of the well-known CM books (including Elizabeth's, of course). I can honestly say it was such a relief to find the CCM list after joining one of the more radical lists (unknowingly!) and being immediately burned . The experience has kept me more cautious about contributing .

I am currently struggling with the "new school year" starting in the next few days. We like to say that we "school" year 'round, but 45 deg Celcius weather here has taken most of my energy this summer. Being eight months pregnant with my husband away for several weeks (coming home this weekend thank goodness !) isn't helping much. I am truly unsure about how much structure to build into our day. There will be a new baby in a few weeks plus 5 yob, 3 yog, and 18 month old son... It doesn't help that structure is not my strong suit ! I can handle a routine, but somehow a schedule hurts... My almost six-year old, Thomas, is a "highly sensitive child" (if you have read Elaine Aron's books) so he can be quite volatile if we don't do things in a manner he can handle.

Unschooling/interest-led activities have worked really well for us so far but...he is in "grade 1" now ! He can read a bit, and his math is probably approaching grade 2, but we don't have the workbooks to show it! His handwriting has improved a lot this summer, but I had a panic attack the other day trying to figure out what style of writing to expect from him for copywork (I am laughing at myself here as my own writing is no particular style - despite several years of calligraphy, and I know this panic has more to do with grade 1, 8 mos pregnant and husband away!)

I have purchased curricula (CHC, Sonlight and various other bits and pieces) and found that I couldn't follow anyone else's schedule. So, I guess it is up to me. (I do have a plan - but would feel better if it was on paper, but it is so hard to commit myself to an approach and schedule!) I guess we can change schedules and approaches in midstream, but I am a perfectionist and would so like to get it right the first time! I have been reading the unschooling and various other topics and soaking up the wisdom they contain.   

Blessings,
Jennifer
wife to Vincent
Mummy to Thomas 10/99, Brigitte 10/01, Matthew 03/04 and a new baby in Sept/Oct
Back to Top View JenQ's Profile Search for other posts by JenQ

Jenn in WY
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 05 2005 at 10:50pm | IP Logged  

Hi! My name is Jenn, and I live in Laramie, Wyoming with my dh Lincoln, my daughter Maria, age 6, my son Gerald, age 4, and my son Benedict, age 2. A new blessing is due to arrive the beginning of March, and I am just beginning to recover from the evening nausea and fatigue that seems to accompany all of my pregnancies!

I am new to this forum, though I joined in April. I haven't logged in due to slow dial-up. We switched to DSL this month, and what a difference!!! I have been on the Yahoo Group for a couple of years.

I have gained so much from the Yahoo Group, but I have a hard time keeping up with the mail. I am hoping this forum will stream-line the process a bit.

I look foward to learning together.

Jenn
Back to Top View Jenn in WY's Profile Search for other posts by Jenn in WY

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2005 at 11:27pm | IP Logged  

I am Dawn Sauer. I live in Wichita, Kansas with my husband, Matt, and our 3 children. Mary Beth is 6, Anna is 3, and Lucia 15 months old. We are beginning our 3rd year of homeschooling this year.

I just read Real Learning, and I'm hungry for more! The Charlotte Mason approach seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm so glad to have found a group of faithful Catholic ladies who are using her method in their homes. Most of what I've read so far seems very "do-able." I'm trying to get away from programs that are "preparation-heavy," as I have found that I get quickly overwhelmed with them.

My husband and I teach Natural Family Planning through the Couple to Couple League. He also volunteers with our local Emergency Management Department as a storm spotter (yes, we live in Tornado Alley!). To put food on the table, he works as a 911 dispatcher. I like to cook, sew, knit, read, play the piano, and sing.

So, from Kansas, hello!
Dawn

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2005 at 11:11am | IP Logged  

My name is Jennifer Lawler. I live in Burke, Virginia with my husband Kletus (Klete) and three children, ds Ben 8/95, dd Gracie 12/97, dd Mary 11/00. I am mostly a devoted lurker (occasional poster) to this site. I ALWAYS take something valuable away from it whenever I visit.

I like to read (fiction and non-fiction) to myself and to my children, I am trying to learn to quilt, and I spend too much time on the computer .
Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged  

My name is Rachel May. I joined this summer as we were moving from Hawaii to the DC area. Morning sickness and a bad attitude about where we now live have kept me down for a while, but now I'm moving past that first trimester/missing friends pity party. We have 5 kids, Thomas and Anthony 4-99, Maria 1-01, Charles 10-02, and Cecilia 07-04 with the new baby due in the spring sometime. We're living in Ft. Washington, MD while my husband lets the Army pay for an MBA at Georgetown. I doubt I'll be a frequest contributer, but I do love to read the posts and get inspired. This school year has been great so far, but I'm always interested in trying something new.   

cctabb
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 22 2005 at 3:08pm | IP Logged  

Hi everyone.

So where to start? My name is Charlene. I am a stay at home/homeschooling mom. Dh is in law enforcement. Our dd just turned 6 this month. We live in northeast Montana.

Dh and I have been homeschooling our dd for 3 years. She is in 1st/2nd grade. We lean heavily towards classical education, but we do have our unschooling moments. Even though we are Catholic we are using mostly a secular cirriculum. I found that it was easier to use non-religious books, text, activities, etc., and supplement them with church, ccd, daily living and a homeschool catechism text/workbook.

I look forward to meeting all of you, and sharing thoughts, views, and ideas.
Charlene

Back to Top View cctabb's Profile Search for other posts by cctabb

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 11:58am | IP Logged  

Hello, I've been checking out this board since I read Elizabeth's book late last spring. I throughly enjoyed the book and have been so impressed by the discussions here....finally decided to join.

Our oldest is 7 and she has always been homeschooled. This is our first year of having two "school aged" children. It has been easier than I thought it would be.

Looking forward to joining in here.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version