Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2005) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2005 at 10:52am | IP Logged  

Hi,
My name is Chris Volpe. This is our family's second full year of homeschooling. My husband Dan and I have been married for almost 19 years and have six wonderful blessings in our children, Katie 17, Jessica 14, Ben 12, Rebecca 10, Thomas 4 and Hannah not quite 2. My two oldest attend a wonderful Catholic High School, here on Long Island. The rest are homeschooled. I am hoping to find likeminded people here who can share their wisdom and experience with those of us who are new to the world of homeschooling. I hope to also share some of my own ideas on family life with others.
Chris Volpe
WIfe of Dan 6/21/86, and Mom to 6 Blessings from Above

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2005 at 4:01pm | IP Logged  

Hello!

I am a homeschooling mother of four: Lisa 22, Katie 19, Kristin 17, and Joseph 5. The younger three are autistic. I am finishing my 14th year of hsing. I have long used some of Charlotte Mason's ideas, but I wish to follow her method more closely -- as closely as I can with an autistic Kindergarten child.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone in a similar situation.

Thank you.

In Christ,

jlhughes4
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 31 2005 at 9:10am | IP Logged  

Hello Everyone,
   This is a first for me to join a discussion group on line. I am so computer illiterate that I have been too nervous to try it out.
    I just love Charlotte Mason's philosophy on education. When I came across the 4reallearing web site a few years ago I was so excited. This was an answer to prayer. I was raised a cradle catholic and knew very little about my faith. I have learned a great deal homeschooling my childern.
    My name is Jenny and my husband is Chris. We have been married for 13years (14 this July). We have 4 childern Amy(11), Noah(9), Mariana(5), and Patrick(2).
I have been homeschooling for 6 years. We enjoy camping, some hiking, and Chris takes the kids fishing. For me, I enjoy cooking, gardening, and I just recently learned to knit- I'm at a point where I need to take a knitting class. Chris and I also teach NFP. We live in the Columbus, Oh area.
     I'm so glad to be a part of this forum. The support is awesome.

God Bless,

Jenny Hughes

Author Unknown
Back to Top View jlhughes4's Profile Search for other posts by jlhughes4

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2005 at 2:56pm | IP Logged  

Hi! My name is Lisa and I homeschool my two boys ages 9 and 11. My husband and I have been married 21 years. We are a military family and move every 3 years. Currently we live in Spokane WA. We'll be moving next summer for our last assignment before retirement .

I'm so grateful to find these boards. I've been on others but finding one that is Catholic is awesome!

Blessings,
Lisa

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2005 at 12:19pm | IP Logged  

Hello Everyone!

My name is Jenny, and I'm new to the board. I am a Catholic homeschooling mom of 4 children so far, ages 12, 10, 5, 2. We are just beginning our 4th year of homeschooling (we go kind of year around).

I am hoping to get to know each of you in the future!

Blessings,

Jenny
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

chooselife4
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 05 2005 at 6:38pm | IP Logged  

Hi, my name is Allison. I am married to my wonderful husband Chris, and homeschooling Mommy to 4 beautiful blessings, Jack (8), Megan (5), Andrew (2) and Hannah (8 weeks). I learned about this forum from the yahoo group Literature Alive. We have been homeschooling for 4 years now, and really love it. We currently live on the Central Coast in California, but are hoping to head back down to So Cal, as soon as hubby's transfer goes through. I am so excited to have found this forum, and am really enjoying it so far. Thank you for being here!

Mom to Jack (8), Megan (5), Andrew (2), and Hannah (8 weeks)
Back to Top View chooselife4's Profile Search for other posts by chooselife4

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2005 at 11:06am | IP Logged  

Hi!

I'm Dawn and new to this group. I live in Massachusetts with dh Bill and our three sons, ages 10, almost 6, and 3 1/2. This August we will begin our 6th year of homeschooling. My interests include reading, nature study, celebrating the liturgical year, baking, crafts, homekeeping, creating lesson plans and strengthening our Catholic faith.

I would say we have been "eclectic" homeschoolers, but lean strongly toward CM philosophies. I am hoping to bring more of her ideas into our home this year. To this end, I am currently re-reading Real Learning (what a beautiful and inspiring book!) and taking *lots* of notes :)

I am so happy to have found these boards and the CCM list. Thanks to the moderators and all who participate. I'm learning much!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2005 at 3:19pm | IP Logged  

Hi Ladies,

I am overwhelmed to have found such a wonderful gift to homeschooling Catholic Mothers as this Forum Site. I am finally coming around to introducing myself after reading many, many posts.

To jump right in, my life has been so profoundly challenging these past years and during my last pregnancy that I reached a state of total bewilderment about how this could all be God's Will. Somehow I heard of Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss and ordered it. I literally read it over and over in the next few weeks. Two quotes saved my sanity and made me remember I am not alone: One from Simple Abundance defining burnout and the other from Willa concerning the family crisis time when her children were eating hot dogs and watching TV constantly. I would read those two quotes and thank God for them....because I was on the edge of "quitting" in so many ways.

I won't ramble on here, but just succintly sum up what my family looks like. I have been married to my husband Brendan--who I met in Choir my freshman year at Santa Clara University in Northern California--for almost 18 years. We have 8 children, two with Cystic Fibrosis, Joey, 2; and Clare, 4.   (Side: We just got results back that Andrew does NOT have it and I am able to ecologically breastfeed again.) My husband's brother died of CF at the age of 13 in 1979. The lifespan is an average of 30 now. We have been homeschooling since the beginning. My passions are children, books, and music.

I must run but want to thank everyone for taking the time to even contribute to this Forum; it is an invaluable service and I am sure there are many who are not writing but are benefiting in a "silent" way. It has really ministered to me at this time. Also, I want to thank whoever suggested the two books, The Hidden Feelings of Motherhood and Mothering the Mother which I am reading at this time. I also began Homeschooling with Gentleness.

Please pray for my family as we are struggling on many levels right now with a very high-need newborn who screams if not latched on and I am questioning how to fulfill my many duties and serve each child responsibly (not to mention my husband and my own insomniac self)!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2005 at 7:19pm | IP Logged  

Welcome Nina --

I live north east of Fresno. Your family sounds so beautiful -- I will keep you all in my prayers! My sons Aidan and Patrick were both born with neonatal hemochromatosis which is a sort of iron storage disorder -- Patrick is thriving after some early difficulties (and I was able to relactate and breastfeed him, so I know what you mean about that blessing!) and Aidan had a liver transplant in San Francisco a couple months after I wrote that quote in Elizabeth's book.   He just turned six! (hard to believe!)   

I think I know what you mean about God's Will and thinking one MUST be doing something wrong -- God bless you and again welcome (and welcome to everyone else who has recently joined, as well)!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2005 at 2:35pm | IP Logged  

Willa,

Thank you for your response and welcome----it was nice to find it today when I got a chance to log on. My father-in-law just took my four youngest (sans bebe) to lunch and I am ALONE and nursing (and eating)!

May I ask you some questions about your sons' disorder? Is it genetic? Has it been a risk for all pregnancies? Were they premature/spent any time in NICU? Wow. A liver transplant. Thanks be to God he is doing so well. We absolutely attribute my son Joey's safety and progress with the prayers of our Catholic community.

Joey was born 7 1/2 weeks prematurely after my hemorraghing throughout the pregnancy. He was in the NICU for a month due to complications that had nothing to do with prematurity but were CF related (Meconium Ileus, failure to pass meconium due to intestinal blockage). He then got RSV a few weeks after we had him home and that was a terribly scary time, 12 days. Both times the teams considered surgery a necessity but we begged for intercession...and received blessed reprieves and he was spared the further danger/complication.

Did you ever feel tempted to have the other kids "occupied somewhere" or busy in school so you didn't have to feel the weight of your responsibility to them at every moment?   I would love hearing any wisdom you have to share on maintaining the other children's well-being, peace, and education and general family survival and growth during the times you had to focus all of your energy on the needy child. I still haven't figured it all out---how to meet each of my children's emotional, physical, spiritual, intellectual, academic needs--- as the level of care is a continuing thing....and should intensify, as lung deterioration is inevitably progressive with CF.

Thank you for taking the time to write!

and 2 yet-to-be-met

blessedmum
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 21 2005 at 7:13am | IP Logged  

Hi everyone,

My name is Kym and I had planned to fold the washing tonight and somehow ended up joining my first forum message board. I live on the east coast of Australia up north and it is a balmy 72 degrees F at 10pm in the middle of our winter. My husband Mark and I have 2 children, Luke 6 and Brigid 4 with another due in Sept. This is our second year homeschooling and we are currently using CM, FIAR and Math-u-see. We are evolving in our style of learning. My husband is in the military and we are due for posting at the end of this year so next winter may not be so warm.

God Bless, Kym.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged  

Dear Nina,

I just found your post and apologize for not replying sooner --

Our sons' disorder may have a genetic component -- it's so rare that the drs are not sure yet. It acts as a kind of placental incompatibility which transfers lethal amounts of iron from the mother to the unborn baby, which affects the baby's major organs and especially the liver. Our first 3 children and our 5th were born healthy. Our 4th child had what in retrospect looks like a mild case and was in the NICU for a few days. Our 6th was seriously affected but drs didn't figure it out until he went into liver failure.   He was in the hospital for 7 months post-birth and then has been in and out periodically since.

They tell us that statistically the chances are very high that a future child will have the same condition. Our youngest was given an experimental treatment in utero (weekly IVIg infusions given to me to offset the immune response on my part that apparently causes the damage) and that seemed to help (plus prayers). Normally the only remedy is a liver transplant, but he did not need one.   It is different from your case in that the damage is done by birth and so it is not degenerative except as a consequence of that damage, if that makes any sense.

YES, I often worried about handling the other childrens' needs PLUS spending many days and months in the hospital.   I could probably write a book about it. You probably could too.   I just tried a couple of times to write out a response and deleted it because it didn't sound right. Maybe we can open a thread in the Special Blessings forum, or talk by private messenger.

I guess the key is to ask God for wisdom, and to realize that the bottom line is that none of us can meet our kids needs in our own strength -- and that God has promised to make His strength perfect in our weakness.   I know you know that, so I'm not sure it helps at all! I was so burned out and worried when my oldest went into his high school years.... at the same time Aidan was having many problems and needed oxygen and lots of other medical care at home, and I was pregnant with Patrick and had to spend almost all day at the hospital twice a week.   The "world" thought that we were crazy to even have a seventh child in those circumstances -- we weren't sure if Paddy would make it or if he too would need a transplant.

I was definitely beyond my human strength but God did give us the grace we needed to go on.   I thought a lot about how our Lord stumbled and fell, not once, but three times on His road to Calvary. I thought that if He got to the end of His strength and that this was not failure, but victory, in the end, that the same could be true of mothering and continuing to homeschool. I could "feel" like I was failing and yet be accomplishing God's will by letting His strength work through my weakness. I know by experience that that's easier to say than it is to live.

We were led by prayer to continue homeschooling but it was a continuing discernment. Definitely I don't think that everyone is called to continue homeschooling in all circumstances.   However, sometimes a family might feel they are called to continue homeschooling, but feel inadequate.   That was how I felt.   But some of my "inadequacy" was just a matter of comparing my homeschool with some ideal one or with what I imagined a "building school" would be like.   So there's a matter of distinguishing between how God sees it and how the "world" sees it.

Oh, I know there is SO much more to say than this! but the kids are waking up and I have to get the day started. Please feel free to write to me privately any time, or ask questions on the board -- I know there are other people on here dealing with medical and other issues... I will be praying for your family, you are a witness for life and faith to me !

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2005 at 1:20pm | IP Logged  

Willa,

I can't thank you enough for your response; it was just what I needed today. "Meeting" you through this Forum was obviously of the Holy Spirit's doing because I have been thirsting to hear another woman articulate my thoughts and echo my experiences as a homeschooling mother of a large family with special needs.

Thank you, thank you for the prayers. Ditto on that last sentence.

(My 6 year old just threw up, believe it or not, and I need to run, but hope I will be given the opportunity--God willing-- to reflect and explore some thoughts further on the board.)

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Heidi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 23 2005 at 1:56pm | IP Logged  

Hello, everyone

My name is Heidi. I've been a lurker on the CCM list for about a year and I've finally found time to join this board, too. I'm a wife and mother of six beautiful children (10yob, 8yob, 6yog, 4yob, 2yob and 5mog).

When my older boys were smaller, we'd spend what seemed like hours on the couch reading books (and reading them again...). But when my oldest son reached "school age" there was the feeling (and pushing from family - we're the only homeschoolers on both sides of the family) that we should be "doing school" and that was the beginning of the burn out.

After a few years of trying different things and having my children screaming, crying, running away upstairs or fighting me when I said it was time for school, I read about Charlotte Mason and I was so amazed. This was the kind of education I'd dreamed about for my children but didn't quite know how to go about it.

I feel so blessed to have found these groups and to have read Real Learning as well as a couple of books about Charlotte Mason. It's helped me so much "seeing" how others use a CM/Real Learning approach with their own children.

This past year, we've added a lot more reading back into our day. The children are also now narrating what they've read. And between the extra reading, narrations and the other things we've changed, I'm so pleased to see how much they really are learning and how much more eager they are to learn. Oh, and how much the little ones pick up from listening! :-)

This is a lot longer than I had intended! I'm looking forward to having a little more time to look around the board and learn more. God Bless! Heidi

mi4ol
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 24 2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged  

Hello,

My name is Debbie and we're starting our 5th year of homeschooling. I'm mother to 3 boys aged 10, 6, & 2. I've been adjusting from bringing school home (I have a degree in education) to embracing CM-styled learning. We're really starting to use Century Books and are increasing our Nature Journal use. I need to increase the use of narration- but we're getting there.

I enjoy making rosaries (custom and for missions), reading, cooking, hiking, pets (we have fish, birds, gerbils, a cat, and are thinking about getting a dog), and... more things than I have time for.

I'm looking forward to sharing all the wonderful ideas and support this forum has to offer.

Do whatever He tell you. John 2:5b
Back to Top View mi4ol's Profile Search for other posts by mi4ol

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2005 at 11:58am | IP Logged  

Hello Everyone! My name is Jennifer. For those of you who have been here a while, you may know my sister, Angie Mc. Hi Angie!!! I'm excitied about being involved with this wonderful group!

My family and I just moved to Holly Springs,(South of Raleigh) NC last November. My daughter will be four in August and is wanting to learn-learn-learn! We are working on reading and she's doing great! I figured I better get moving on connecting with other Catholic homeschooling families. CM seems like a wonderful fit for us! I look forward to getting to know you all on-line. And.....if there is anyone who happens to live near Holly Springs...I would love to hear from you!

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2005 at 5:28pm | IP Logged  

Hi everyone. My name is Tina and I was part of the Yahoo list before we moved overseas. We are a military family, so we move a *lot* and part with a lot over the years. We also tend to collect things a whole lot faster than do stay-in-one-placers. I remember so many of you folks from before we left for Germany (which was shortly before we moved to England). I recognize Tracy Q, Chari, and Alice besides MacBeth and Elizabeth. It's a real pleasure to be able to get *some* kind of homeschooling support. I was feeling quite frustrated without it here. In Germany I had a few friends who homeschooled, but some were succumbing to the pressures of their husbands' jobs or other outside forces that encouraged them to put their kids into German school. Part of me can't wait until we get back to the U.S. and the other part wants to stay here and let the kids steep themselves in history, culture, and science (botany, to be exact) that we just can't duplicate in the U.S. We have seven children (the seventh is actually due in September).

Social studies is one of our two delight-directed studies (the other being science). Unfortunately, the organization of all that we're studying will have to boil down to a book of centuries. We've already covered ancient times to some extent and backward from our own little patch of history. Now we're in the middle with absolutely no connectors from either side.

I'm also trying to figure out how to fit *it all* in. There's so much stuff we want to do!
Back to Top View Tina P.'s Profile Search for other posts by Tina P. Visit Tina P.'s Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2005 at 10:47pm | IP Logged  

Hi,
I am Kristina. I have enjoyed reading the posts here every so often and I had posted to another forum when I joined a few months ago. However, I did not introduce myself in this forum first.

I am thankful to be married to the father of our five children (and one precious soul with God). We both feel blessed (and occasionally stressed ) to be home educating our
four boys 7, 6, 4, 3 and baby girl 16m.

We live in the northeast, a couple of towns away from where we grew up and where the grandparents still reside. My husband was a cradle catholic and reverted shortly before I converted at Easter Vigil '97.

Now that summer is here I plan to spend a bit more of my online time here.

Blessings,
kristina
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 06 2005 at 11:55pm | IP Logged  

Hi-I am Nicole from Minnesota.

We have an 8 yob, 5 yog, 3yob, and 5mob. We have been homeschooling for a few years now but I still feel like it is my first year! I would love to just sit at my computer and glean wisdom from this site!

We really live in the middle of nowhere so it is great to connect with other Catholic HSing parents as I often feel isolated.

I would love to meet others from Minnesota. Also if anyone has a child with a congenital cataract, I would love to chat.

Nicole
Back to Top View humanaevitae's Profile Search for other posts by humanaevitae

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 15 2005 at 6:32pm | IP Logged  

In case I haven't introduced myself here. (I guess I assumed everyone knew me, LOL) I'm JoAnna, mom to   5 living children. We've homeschooled all along. Jacob is going into the 7th grade, Grace 5th, Mary- 1st, Lucas is almost 3 (next week) and Emma is almost 4 mos. old. I'm slowly getting the hang of these new boards but when I have to go back to dial-up I"m sure I'll be disgruntled again.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version