Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2005) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Oney
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:35pm | IP Logged  

Hello, My name is Oney and I am new to this message board. Well, relatively new to homeschooling too. We began homeschooling our 2 sons in August and have an enjoyable first year. The boys are ages 7 and 8 1/2. We also have a daughter who is 16 and in public high school. My husband and I have been married since 1986.

I "met" Elizabeth on another message board and was delighted to find out about 4RReal Learning! I'm looking forward to learning more from the lovely families who are a part of the 4Real Family!

christyisrc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 16 2005 at 6:03pm | IP Logged  

Hi, I am Christy and this is my 3rd year homeschooling, my children's 2nd. (I hs'd my oldest 3 yrs ago as an only then he went to a minor seminary and is now back home and at a public school phew - make sense?)Our catalyst for HS'ing was the short life and then death of our baby Luke. I was gone for 4 months with him in another town. I missed my kids and so I decided to hs (having done lots of research). Now we do it because I like it and so do my kids for the most part. I use MODG loosely, belong to CCM, wish I liked nature and the outdoors so to be more CM. We are very busy with sports and Conquest and Challenge. We like it that way. Often school suffers because of our busyness but we are plugging along.
I am due for #9 on April 15th and am very nervous to try and hs with a newborn but I have faith!

Wife to Doug, Momma to Doug Cassie Katie Tessa Josh Joe Ellie ^^Luke^^ and due for #9 on April 15th.
Pray for holy vocations.
Back to Top View christyisrc's Profile Search for other posts by christyisrc

krgammel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 17 2005 at 6:15pm | IP Logged  

Hi! I'm Kristen. This is my second year homeschooling (minus a brief visit to ps). We are rather ecclectic right now with FIAR, CCM and many other things. I have two boys who are ages 3 and 6. We live in a small rurual community in TX with very few catholics and even fewer homeschoolers - reading the posts really helps me keep my focus and feel connected. Thank you all for sharing your wisdom.

Kristen
Back to Top View krgammel's Profile Search for other posts by krgammel

cashioncrew
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 18 2005 at 12:25am | IP Logged  

Hello All-
My name is Stephanie and I have been happily married to Trey for 16 years. We are currently homeschooling six (3 formally and 3 lurkers(a set of almost 4 y/o triplets) catching nuggets from their big brothers and sister). We have homeschooled since our oldest was 5 and we withdrew him from public school Kindergarten. We were so blessed to "God-incidently" find CM and have been using her methods/philosophy for almost 4 years and I think that I am just beginning to "get it"! (with the help of some good friends - thanks Janette and Kimberly, Elizabeth's book, CCM and now this forum!) Our biggest desire is for our kids to love and know their faith and love to learn! Not asking much am I? I look forward to learning SO much from all of you and hoping that I can give back, too.

Brenda in MI
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 18 2005 at 3:13pm | IP Logged  

Hi-
My name is Brenda and this is my 5th year of homeschooling. I have been married to Dean for almost 13 years and we have 4 wonderful children. (dd-Morgan 10yo, ds-Conor 8yo, ds-Parker 5yo and dd-Kellyn 3mos). We are currently doing a combination of Classical and CCM and trying to figure out how to balance the two. One more fun bit of info.- we are joining the Catholic Church this Easter Vigil! Please pray for us.

God Bless-
Brenda
Back to Top View Brenda in MI's Profile Search for other posts by Brenda in MI

Sammysue
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 18 2005 at 3:48pm | IP Logged  

Hi, my name is Susan and this is my first time posting here -hope I'm doing it correctly! I am wife to John (almost 21 years) and mom to Sarah 19, Amanda 15 TODAY!, Joshua 11 (in 6 days), Chistina 9, Rachel 4 and three little girls, Jesse, Emily and Alexandra, who went on to their heavenly father before birth. We are a military family nearing retirement in the midwest. We may or may not have a move or two left... We have homeschooled off and on (some and/or all the children) the past 9 years. DH was a cradle catholic but his family stopped practicing when he was very young. I am a convert of 10 years now! and we continue to grow and learn. This last year or so has been a period of incredible spiritual growth and there is just way too much to tell in an introduction. But I found my way here because we have felt the Lord's calling to bring our children home for their learning - among many other things. The last few months I have been trying to 'unschool' myself so I can find the right path for our son who has been labeled dyslexic and ADD. We removed him, for a second time, from public school mid-year. During a recent homeschooling conference DH and I felt a tremendous need to make major changes in our life. We plan to keep ds home for learning and keep our 9 yr old dd home after she finishes the school year in May. We are struggling with whether to also bring home their 15 year old sister. The youngest dd (4) will also stay at home as well as any future blessings. I have much self-educating to do and I am sooo excited about it! I will be praying for clarity of mind and discernment as I read the many books you all have recommended and as I devour all the wonderful things you share here. Our family has begun a journey to a wonderful place and I feel so blessed!

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2005 at 4:56pm | IP Logged  

I'm interested in seeing how these boards work. I've been on the CCM list for a while, and I feel like I've learned so much from all the generous posters
I will go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Noreen, and I've been married to Ed almost 8 years (this April 26). We have 3 children, Joseph-almost 7, Maggie--3 1/2, and Johnnie-18 months.
Maggie is in preschool 2x a week, and I will bring her home when it's time for Kindergarten. I have enjoyed having my older son home. He's very curious, and I don't think that a traditional school setting would be a good fit for him. I'll have to start learning all over again when my daughter comes home and starts math, etc. She's a completely different type of person. Just to make sure that I never start thinking that I know what I'm doing....
Homeschooling has been a huge blessing for my family. My biggest stuggles right now are on the domestic front, trying to keep house and cook (relatively healthy) meals, while still getting everything done with the children.
I'm looking forward to participating in these lists.

Thanks,
Noreen
Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Maryarm5
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 28 2005 at 11:42pm | IP Logged  

Hi Everyone, I'm Mary Armstrong from San Antonio, Texas.
I've been reading the posts on the CatholicCMason e-group since last summer, and decided to try out this forum of sharing and learning about homeschooling and our Catholic faith.
My husband Scott and I have been married 18 years and are the parents of Brian-14yo, Maddie-11.5yo, Patrick-10yo, Carrie-2.5yo, and newborn Samuel 1/21. We have been homeschooling for 7 years, mostly following MODG. I love the CM style of learning, but have not implemented as much as I would like.
I don't know why!!! I am trying to make the ideas like nature study, narrating, lapbooking come more naturally for me to incorporate into our learning, but it isn't happening. I like the structure of the lesson plans from MODG. I also need to learn more what narration and lapbooking is all about.
My daughter and I just finished the book Because of Winn-Dixie, and loved it! Now I'm trying to figure out how to go further with the book. Probably we will just talk about it, then we will see the movie.
Thanks to all those who got this forum up and running!

Mary A.
Back to Top View Maryarm5's Profile Search for other posts by Maryarm5

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2005 at 4:33pm | IP Logged  

Hi Everyone!
I'm Rachel from Virginia (well originally I'm from England but I live in Virginia).
I've been a member of the list for a few years, since my son James was about 2... and I am not a regular visitor, but do step in now and then.
I loved the forum idea... and thought I'd come over and see what it is all like!
I love the smilies!
My Son James is 5 1/2 with an early birthday which means he is supposed to be in school this year... we're Cm style Kindergartenering him at the moment... lots of read-alouds and nature study plus reading lessons
My daughter Lenore is 14 months... and is beginning to learn too she LOVES books! A good start to a CM education!
I will be looking for advice as to dealing with her in here!

~Rachel~

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:59pm | IP Logged  

Hi,
I am Louise, mom of 11 from NC. I am sure some of you will remember me from the CCM list. I took a Lenten break from my e-groups, but I am glad to be back and I am looking forward to contribute a little on this wonderful message board.
My dh and I are both native French Canadian. We move to NC when Sara our oldest was two, and Francois-Xavier was two months old. We have homeschooled right from the beginning and have graduated the four oldest ones. I am an elective homeschooler with a passion for books! I also love to cook, sew, knit, garden, and used to draw (haven’t have much time for this one in years I know shame on me! ). I guess the best way I could describe our homeschool style would be a real living and learning lifestyle! We surely ARE busy living fully our lives soaking up knowledge and skills as we go along. The children’s science lessons are often part of real life here as we butcher animals or plan, dig, plant, water, watch, weed, explore, make mistakes, and harvest the garden. Learning is truly an atmosphere here!   The children not only have countless opportunities for real learning they also have “thousands” of books available. They are everywhere and well used. We just love learning! Each child has so many rabbits-trails going on at all time, I can’t even keep track of them all. The intro to this message board fits us to a T!
It is good to see so many familiar names. I’m happy to be part of this big joyful family.

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

Dana in TX
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 30 2005 at 1:42pm | IP Logged  

Hi,
I am Dana from Friendswood, TX, near Houston. The CCM forum has been one of my greatest homeschooling blessings these past many years. I like the new forum in many ways but I'm taking a while to adjust. So today I'm finally registering here and phasing out the CCM Yahoo group...

My husband, Mike, and I have four children ages 17, 14, 11 and 8. They have all been homeschooled all along and I would say that "living is learning" is the main rule here. We are surrounded by our books inside and our animals outside. Life leads us on many rabbit trails which turn out to be our greatest knowledge-gaining moments. Currently my highschoolers use TRISMS as a guide. The younger two roam freely on topics they choose once math is completed. We are all entering a more bravewriter lifestyle this spring via Julie Bogart's website...we are all so auditory here that writing is a weak spot.

It is still a daily blessing to have this wonderful, Catholic community with which to share and grow.
Easter Blessings to all of you.
Dana in TX
Back to Top View Dana in TX's Profile Search for other posts by Dana in TX

AMdeJong
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 30 2005 at 5:38pm | IP Logged  

Christ is Risen!
A beautiful Easter Wednesday to you all!

I'm Ann Marie de Jong in Kansas. My husband, Jonathan, and I have three precious blessings - Arianna (9), Nikolaas(6), and Mara (17mos). We have been homeschooling for four years...and the journey continues. My homeschooling style continues to unfold as I learn more about my children - and myself! I have been a "reader" of the CCM list for the past few months gleaning wonderful ideas, wisdom and encouragement. My thanks to you!

A little about me... a dietitian by career. Although "retired", I'm still "into" food - growing it, cooking it and eating it! I enjoy exercise and the outdoors - and being with my kids. My husband is Orthodox and the children and I are Catholic providing some opportunities for growth and some long liturgical seasons at times.

Well, enough about me...I look forward to being a part of this forum, although I must admit, I'm not very computer savvy and a bit intimidated. Just another learning opportunity....

Again, Easter Blessings to you and yours!
Ann Marie in KS

Back to Top View AMdeJong's Profile Search for other posts by AMdeJong

arcornbread
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 30 2005 at 5:42pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
I am Ginger, mother of 4 beautiful children.Their ages are 8, 5, 4, and almost 2.I have homeschooled since the beginning and can't imagine ever sending my children away for school. We use mostly CM type ideas, lots of living books, time outside in the garden, caring for the chickens and turkeys and learning how to cook and work together.Religious instruction is very important to me.I know there is much to be learned here. I am so happy I found this group.
Back to Top View arcornbread's Profile Search for other posts by arcornbread

Lisa in Indiana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:40am | IP Logged  

Hi!

I'm Lisa Tobin of rural Boone County, Indiana (just outside of Indianapolis). I've been married to Mark since 1990, though we first dated as teenagers more than a decade earlier. We have two living children, Marshall (2/92) and Laurel (2/96), and three saints in heaven.

I was a longtime CCM list member until serious health and family concerns caused me to go "no mail" shortly before last Christmas. I just learned about this new forum yesterday at a park day with a fellow "Real Learner" and here I am today! I hope to find time to read and participate here because CCMers -- Elizabeth, MacBeth, Angie, Lissa, Alice, Leonie, Chari, Maria, and many other members -- have been great sources of inspiration to me (as a homeschooler, as a mother, and as a Catholic) and I've missed "hanging out" with all of them!

God bless,
Lisa
Back to Top View Lisa in Indiana's Profile Search for other posts by Lisa in Indiana

JackieH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 31 2005 at 4:03pm | IP Logged  

Hi!
I'm Jackie from AZ. I've been homeschooling 7 years now. I have 3 wonderful children 11yob, 7yog, and almost 3yog. I've been attracted to real learning since we've started, but have never seemed to be able to implement everything. I've decided to really give it a try and make the transition. I'm also new to this type of forum. Looking forward to getting to know you and chatting about this wonderful way of learning.

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:38pm | IP Logged  

My name is Michelle. I homeschool our 3 children on our little farm in the Oregon coast range. I have been reading posts and being instructed and comforted here for a few weeks. Thank you sweet ladies.
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

Irenekay
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 02 2005 at 8:51am | IP Logged  

Good Morning Ladies, I have been lurking for awhile. My name is Irene Kay Reyna wife to Philip, mom to 3 wonderful children Virginia, Robert and Jacob. We have been homeschooling for starting 7 years now. I also belong to several other groups to. I am still trying to get use to coming here instead of having it in email. I like the board it is easier to find what you want then in the emails.
Blessings,
Irene Kay wife to Philip mom to Virginia, Robert and Jacob

Kathleen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 02 2005 at 11:49am | IP Logged  

I am Kathleen, longtime learner on the Catholic Charlotte Mason yahoogroup. I am a cradle Catholic married 14 years to a Methodist. Our two sons (10 and 2) are being raised RC. We live in NYC. I look forward to this new way of sharing ideas on line (new to me, anyway LOL).

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2005 at 3:42pm | IP Logged  

Hi!

I'm Laura, and I live in Chandler, AZ. We have lived here in the desert for 15 years, since our oldest was born, and every summer I decide I REALLY want to move, but that hasn't happened yet

We have three children, dd 15, ds 6, and dd 2 - and one in heaven. We have been homeschooling for almost 6 years. We have just started to lean more towards a CM style. We also use a lot of Sonlight. My middle child has Asperger's Syndrome, and we have struggled a lot with the decision to homeschool him or not. We have decided to (I think!).

We like to do historical re-enactment, we like to read, my dh loves movies.....

Um, that's all I can think of to say

Smiles,
~Laura in AZ
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

KToste
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 04 2005 at 8:00am | IP Logged  

Hi I am Karen and am finally getting back to the forum to do the intro. My dh, Frank, and I live in SE MA with our 5 chidlren - Olivia (8/93), Catherine (7/95), Nathaniel (12/99), Isabel (4/02) and Julianne (5/04). We have hs since 2000. I am looking forward to looking around and trying to catch up with everyone.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version