Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2005) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 9:29pm | IP Logged  

Hi everyone.

I'm Julie Bogart.

I've been a long time lurker on the CatholicCMason. I just noticed the new
message boards notice and thought I'd at least pop in. There are so many
of you whose posts have spoken to me at different times.

I don't post to the loop (too busy with Brave Writer) but I like the forum
set up so I can be one of those hit and run posters. I'm always on
the prowl for good books for homeschooling and enjoy the values and
perspectives of many of you from the yahoo group.

A few quickies about me:

I am in a graduate program at Xavier University studying theology. I love
it!

I have five kids who've always been homeschooled. The oldest is finished
with high school so I'm down to four. It's been the joy of my life to be
home with my kids.

And of course, I run Brave Writer. But that's not why I'm here. Feel free to
carry on with or without me on that topic. I really just want to be able to
have a place to discuss homeschooling reources that isn't a loop!

Julie
Back to Top View juliecinci's Profile Search for other posts by juliecinci Visit juliecinci's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 10:54pm | IP Logged  

Hi everyone,
I found you from the CCM and rabbit-trails list. I live on a cul-de-sac in Western Massachusetts in a little raised ranch that's white with a midnight blue door and shutters. The lawn is usually green and manicured, but right now it's covered with dirty snow.

I'm married to my best friend, Bobby, who owns and operates an insurance agency. Our children are Matthew 6, Joseph 4, Sarah 2.5 and Angel who's in heaven. (I had a miscarriage one month ago.) This is my first year homeschooling and it really feels right. We started out doing short lessons of many subjects each day, but now we're mainly doing my made-up math, phonics, handwriting and FIAR. Oh and art...my children's favorite.

I LOVE reading, scrapbooking, organizing... used to love golf when I could play it(I just got hooked on "The Big Break III") I wish I could say I liked cooking. I like surfing the web and reading my e-mails (especially CCM.) I'm only going online on Sundays during lent so I better go because I only have 7 minutes left.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Mamatoabunch
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 5:33pm | IP Logged  

Hello! My name is Annabelle. M dh's name is Jeff. We live in the mountains of NM on 2 1/2 acres w/ some livestock.

My dh and I have been blessed w/ seven children twins dd's almost 11, a dd 9y/o, dd 6y/o, ds 4y/o, ds 2y/o, and dd 3m/o. We have always HSed.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 11:04pm | IP Logged  

I am computer-challenged, hope I can figure out how to do this message board thing. So, jumping in with both feet...

I'm Kelly in Florida, happily married to Mike for almost 20 years but I can't remember the exact date (isn't that terrible?!)and haphazardly homeschooling six children ages 2 to 15 for the past ten years. Even though it wears me out, I love homeschooling, but have to confess that my "style"---if I dare call it that---lies somewhere between unschooling and CM, with the odd nod to Classical. We build our curriculum around History, which I love, and incorporate heavy doses of music, art, living books, poetry into our history studies. I hate math, but my children think I love it because we do so much of it. I really DO love learning foreign languages---which we don't do enough of----but we combine our studies of Spanish and German with extended visits overseas to places that speak these languages, so that helps. Ongoing Latin constitutes the Classical part of our curriculum. Science definitely revolves around nature study and doing the Great Outdoors thing. Lots of music, with everyone screeching away on violins or pounding the piano---old Suzuki veterans. My father, who was a concert violinist, would be pleased...I think.

DH is an investment banker. As a result, we travel a lot. Due to extensive practice, I think I may have perfected the art of carschooling and travelschooling... though my back aches from carting around all those books!

I figured out a while back that the only way I could have a hobby was to do it as a family activity. Consequently, our/my collective hobbies are: reading; riding-one of my daughters and I are training to compete in a three day event of dressage, showjumping and crosscountry in the Fall; fencing; ballroom dancing (especially Viennese Waltz and Tango); and tennis. Our house overflows with books and boots, saddles and sabres, foils and fencing helmets, dancing shoes and tennis rackets.

Celebrating the Liturgical Year is another constant in our household, though I'm not sure if that's a hobby per se! However, I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate the faith into the home.

Over the years, I've gleaned so much information from various Catholic homeschooling loops. I come to this forum from the Catholic Charlotte Mason loop, and recognize many familiar faces. Looking forward to further inspiration from this message board!   

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

lmrook
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 22 2005 at 1:23am | IP Logged  

Hello, my name is Laura and I live in Washington State. I'm the mother of 9, ages 23 down to 4 months. I've been mostly a lurker on the CCM list for a few years, and I also participate on the Magnum Opus list.

I do like all the different discussions going on. I hope I'll get into the habit of finding time to get to these forums. My connection is slow, and moving from page to page takes a lot of patience!

I've been homeschooling for the last 9 years and we are very eclectic in our approach. I have found a lot of support on the various lists I've been a part of. I'll probably "see" some of you over on "The More the Merrier" and maybe here and there on some of the other discussions.

But not tonight , I'm going to bed.

God Bless,
Laura
Back to Top View lmrook's Profile Search for other posts by lmrook

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2005 at 2:13am | IP Logged  

I've already been posting so had better do my introduction. My name is Mary and I live in Denver, CO. I've been married to Rick for almost 20 years and we have 4 children, three sons who are 5, 13, and almost 17 and one daughter who is 9. We have been homeschooling for eight years. Our oldest is not currently homeschooling - he attends a local Catholic high school. I don't have a label for the type of homeschooling we do. It borrows from a lot of sources/philosophies but definitley embraces "real learning." I found the CCM list through local friends and have really enjoyed being a part of that list for the past 6 months or so and am now enjoying this forum as well.

Personal interests include reading/study particularly on parenting issues like birth and breastfeeding and Catholic topics like apologetics and Church history. I'm into rubber stamping, beading, and actually all forms of crafts (constantly trying out new ones) when I can find the time.

I look forward to spending time with all of you.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

fivemkids
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 22 2005 at 1:18pm | IP Logged  

Hi. My name is Mary A. and I made my way here from the Magnum Opus list. I've been married to my dh Michael for 18 years and we have five kids: Megan (14), Monica (12), Morgan (9), Michael (4) and Matthew (2).

My oldest attends a Catholic high school and the 12 & 9 year old are currently in public school. They had all attended our local Catholic elementary but the school has changed recently and there isn't much "Catholic" or education to be found there. I had homeschooled the 3 oldest for a year, but my husband's schedule changed and homeschooling wasn't working for us. I have started working with my 4 year old and plan to keep him home.

All the older kids are involved in sports, so that takes up most free time. I also like to read and surf the web (mainly homeschool/family sites).

I hope to learn alot from the site.

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 22 2005 at 5:15pm | IP Logged  

Hi, my name is Jeanne. My husband and I have homeschooled our 6 children(11,9,7, 5,3,and 9 months)for 6 years.

I have been gleening lots of wisdom from all the members of ccm and other lists. This forum looks exciting.

Blessings to everyone.
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 6:35am | IP Logged  

I am Viv Lapp and we live in central PA. We have been homeschooling for 6 years and have followed an eclectic mix of materials with a CM bent. Dd#1 returned to public school after spending her 7th and 8th grades at home. Currently we are homeschooling our 9th and 4th grade dd's at home. Dd#2 is using MODG for high school. We follow the teacher assist program for religion and history. This type of accoutability was requested by dd#2 and is working very well.
Our place in PA is rural and only 5 miles from town. We have a 2 dogs, lots of barn cats (with a cat that has migrated indoors due to dd#2's love of that particular yellow feline ), a spinning flock of 4 sheep and 5 hens. In the summer we run 2 batches of meat chickens using a chicken tractor in the orchard and raise 2 beef until a November.
I enjoy gardening, particularly organic vegetable gardening, and have a colonial period garden on one side of our house. I keep a nature notebook which has given my an appreciation of the birds and plants of our area. My husband's love for anything on the water (sailing and kayaking) brings great variety to my nature journaling too.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 3:50pm | IP Logged  

Thank you Elizabeth (and everyone else) for these new message boards! My name is Jennifer, and I found my way over here from CCM or rabbit trails or FCL. I can't quite remember!! Anyway, I live in Mississippi where I am married to Nick. We have three daughters, 5, 4, and 2. I've been reading/researching homeschooling since I was pregnant with #1! I'm not quite sure how to define my educational philosophy/method of homeschooling. I real aloud alot and we play outside as much as possible. Is that a method??
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 6:51pm | IP Logged  

Hi all. I just heard about this board today and thought I would take a look.

I'm Michele Q. from Lancaster, PA USA. Dh Tim and I have nine children ranging in age from 6 months to 19 years old. I already know a lot of you from around the web. I like to read, sew and work on my computer (digital scrapping, webpage building etc.). I noticed Elizabeth wrote that she liked to cook. I have to say, I hate to cook. But I love to sew so that makes up for it...right? Don't know if I'll post much as I'm kinda busy these days (who isn't!) but I just wanted to say "hi".

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Julianne
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 8:01pm | IP Logged  

Hi my name is Julianne. My husband Joe and I have 7 boys ranging from 15 down to 10 months. We have homeschooled from the beginning except for 2 years in a charter school when my oldest was in 4th 5th grade. I use MODG curriculum with all of them. I like to read, the outdoors, riding my horse, taking care of my goats and most of all spending time with my family.

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 24 2005 at 10:16pm | IP Logged  

Hi all! I'm Wendy, married to DH Joe thirteen years, both of us cradle Catholics. We have 5 kids (erin 8 amanda 6 alex 3 jacob 1.5 jonathan 7 mos) DDs currently attend a small wonderful Catholic grade school, which I almost feel guilty pulling them out of and not supporting...BUT I feel homeschooling calling our family! Next school year will be our first homeschooling year, and I've been doing much reading and decluttering/organizing to try to prepare myself...love the CCM board (although I'm mainly just a lurker), Berquist and CHC materials. I think my curriculum will be a hodge-podge! I also have enjoyed the magnum opus board.

We live in the country in central Wisconsin, and I actually have quite a few friends who homeschool. The homeschoolers are strong in this area. Like everyone else I rarely have free time, but when I do, I enjoy scrapbooking, reading, crocheting and the outdoors. Looking forward to getting to know everyone better and learn lots!!

Wendy
Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 10:40am | IP Logged  

Hello,

My name is Michaela. I live in Las Vegas with my DH Robert, and our three children Nicholas 8, NAthan 4 1/2, and Olivia 4 1/2. (praying for another child.)
We are a military family. This October, Robert will be in the Army 20 years.   

I usually check in on the FIAR board a few times a day, but I've already found this messageboard a better fit.    I'm still trying to learn about the Catholic faith. Please forgive me when I ask the obvious questions.    I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 12:53pm | IP Logged  

Hi, My name is Christina. I live in Dallas with my husband who is attending grad school. Both of us were homeschooled and although our children are too young yet, I joined this to get ideas and glean wisdom from you ladies. I enjoy reading, scrapbooking, and playing the piano.

Deborah
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 4:21pm | IP Logged  

Hello!
My name is Deborah and I am a 43 year old, seperated, homeschooling mom to Tommy age 5 and Hailey who is almost 4. I also have a 20 yr. old daughter named Stephanie who is a HUGE help with the kids. We care for my mother who is in the late stages of Alzheimers. Without Steph's help, I don't know how I would manage!   
I found the boards after reading Janette's reply to Lisa O. I too found it hard to keep up with the emails and this is great! Thanks for the info Janette.
I look forward to being active on the boards and getting to know all of you.
Deborah

Be Not Afraid!
Back to Top View Deborah's Profile Search for other posts by Deborah

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged  

Hi, I'm Victoria, striving to be a Servant of God. Blessed to be married to my high school sweetheart, Mike, for nearly 20 years now. Equally blessed with ds, Kyle, 14 in March, and dd, Katie, 7. We have homeschooled for 8 yrs. Born and raised in Chicago and now live south of Tucson, AZ. I enjoy reading and more reading (a mix of everything), movies, bargain hunting, scrapbooking and years ago had time to cross stitch. I see many familiar names at this site and feel among friends. My family sure hears often about my Catholic hs e-mail moms group at CCM, from hs ideas, to opinions, to prayer requests, to what's for dinner.

God bless,
Victoria in AZ

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 9:23am | IP Logged  

Hi,

I just posted on the Real Learning forum, so thought I should post an intro here. (I noticed I didn't get the "quote" part of my post done correctly ... ah, well, I'll get the hang of it....)

I've been a member of the CCM Loop since our first year of homeschooling, and I love having a "Real Learning" lifestyle with my three girls, ages 11, 8 and 2. (We think of all three of them as miracle babies, as I've had five miscarriages ... there were times we didn't know if we'd ever be given another child, but we have been extraordinarily blessed.)

My husband and I are both converts to the Catholic Church (me in 1995, Tom in 2000.) My husband is a public school teacher and I do some writing when time/life allow me to (mostly for Catholic magazines, but also a little bit of secular parenting stuff.)

I feel totally inadequate when others talk about how they love to cook and sew ... I'm inept in both areas.

I do love to bake. My main strengths aren't necessarily domestic: my kids will grow up being able to discuss where in the Catechism one can find a particular doctrine ... but they won't be able to meal plan very well (though they'll make a terrific dessert for after the discussion....)

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 1:11pm | IP Logged  

teachingmyown wrote:
Well it took me a while to read all 6 pages of introductions! There isn't a test is there. LOL!

I felt the same way. I was torn between wanting to read all of the intros (now 9 pages) and needing to get the intro done and move on with the rest of my life.    I chose to skim.

I recognize many of the names from some of the other groups I'm part of (CCM, CCE, Bravewriter). I'm Richelle from Minnesota. I'm married to Michael (13 years this summer) and mom to Nick-11 yrs, Seth-5 yrs, and 3 saints in heaven. We've been homeschooling for almost 2 years now. I spent about 6 debating about homeschooling before that. When we finally took the plunge we went down a classical/unit study road. Somewhere along the way I was introduced to CM and then on the CCM list someone recommended that I read Real Learning. The kind of homeschooling described in the book was the first time I really felt "at home" with an image of what I wanted our homeschool to be like. Since then I've been slowly trying to figure out how to meld Real Learning into our home. I was on an internet search yesterday to find the Real Learning website for book ideas (I'd forgotten the web address) and Google came up with this forum.

I really love this set-up! It's nice to be able to go right to the section that you're looking for at the time. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and I hope that in someway I'll have something to offer back too.

God Bless,

Richelle
Back to Top View tovlo4801's Profile Search for other posts by tovlo4801

LauraCalifornia
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 1:28pm | IP Logged  

Hello! This is Laura (Crazy Laura...). I just saw this posted on the Literature Alive board. Hello!

I am mom to two sweet boys ages 3.5 and 1 year old. I am gearing up for 'school' when my boys get bigger. I love to learn new things. I am exploring all the options for homeschooling now before we really get into it--we are learning at home, but California doesn't require children to be in preschool.

Man is it a beautiful day! I missed mass this morning but I had to stop by and talk to Jesu because it is so Springy out there! It is driving me crazy.
I want to jump in a lake or something.

I hope everyone is doing well... I'm overflowing!

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version