Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introduce Yourself (2005) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
1st grade mom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 12 2005 at 7:35pm | IP Logged  

Hi all,

Thank you for all the wonderful discussions recently about Catholic unschooling, classical education, structure in homeschooling, etc. I have really appreciated and enjoyed them.

I am relatively new to homeschooling, so I'm not sure how helpful my advice will be, but we learn a tremendous amount in our homeschool without drudgery.

I have one six-year-old daughter, who is a livewire and is interested in almost anything presented to her, so if I "go with the flow" to some degree (her interests and inclinations at a particular time), she is able to make progress in all subjects. To me it doesn't really matter whether she wants to learn about a subject at 9 a.m. or 9 p.m., so there are plenty of hours in the day to cover the "curriculum".

And because I, like many others, observe my pupil learning all the time, school is really year-round, whether or not we are doing anything formal.

I will probably chime in on the unschooling, classical, and Montessori topics because they are presently the most interesting to me.

1st grade mom
married to dh ('87); dd ('99)

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2005 at 4:58pm | IP Logged  

Hello All,

I am a 25 yo Single Mom to a precious dd almost 5yo.

I was homeschooled from 5th grade on. Am homeschooling dd, nothing real formal yet(due to Part-time work schedule, and dd's level of readiness). I am so grateful for the freedom to homeschool.

I like to read; cook; garden; do anything outdoors; pray,play, and read with dd; and most of all love going to Church.

Really like these Forums!

Blessings to All!

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 16 2005 at 5:05pm | IP Logged  

Hello everyone,

I thought I had joined the forum after the rabbit trails posting but then life and a new baby came along and upon trying to login after so many months I had to rejoin. Never the less it is good to be back.

The number of forum discussions has really increased and I can't wait to spend the next couple days browsing and reading....

A brief introduction about me... I live in Woodstock Georgia and I am in my 6th year of homeschooling. I have five children my oldest being 10years on down to our newborn 6weeks old.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

lilybear
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 02 2005 at 9:50pm | IP Logged  

I've been a member for a long time, but I just got around to posting something today, so I figure I'd better write my introduction. I live with my dh and four children near Greenville, South Carolina. My older daughter is in her first year at college. She was homeschooled 3rd-9th grade and then attended a local charter high school. My older son is in school for the first time in his life, in 9th grade at the same charter high. I have two children still at home with me: a 6th grade daughter and a 3rd grade son. I can't believe I'm in my eleventh year homeschooling! I'm mostly a lurker on these boards, but maybe now since I've gotten my feet wet, I'll post occasionally. I mostly like to read what everyone else has to say!

Back to Top View lilybear's Profile Search for other posts by lilybear

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged  

Hello, my name is Rebecca. I live in Canada. We just moved out of the city and are discovering together life in the coutry, in a big old farm house. My dh and I have just happily celebrated our 8th anniversary. And we've been blessed with 7 children already! I have very easy pregnancies, and we wanted to have a big family.

I have been discovering more about Charlotte Mason, and am very attracted to her ideas about whole learning. We are also enjoying discovering more about our natural world, and reminded daily who created it! This is my second full year of homeschooling, but at this point I am a bit tired and need some refreshment.   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 10:22am | IP Logged  

Hi. My name is Tracy. My dh and I have been married for 12 years and have 4 kids. We live in Virginia. My oldest ds is 8, dd 5(almost 6) ds 3(almost 4) and ds almost 10 months. I love homeschooling my kids but we are really struggling right now. I will try to post a new topic to ask for advice. I have been reading along n here for awhile and have seen lots of great advice and ideas. I look forward to being a more active member of these forums.
Back to Top View tracym's Profile Search for other posts by tracym

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2005 at 7:13am | IP Logged  

Hello All!

I wandered my way here after enjoying Elizabeth's columns in the Arlington Catholic Herald for years and reading her book Real Learning this fall.

I am the momma of 3 little ones ages 4, not quite 3 and due-any-day-now. I was homeschooled myself in the early '80's and plan to continue teaching my own children at home as they reach school age.

We live in north eastern Maryland and I am also an active NFP teacher (Billings Method) and on and off I write for websites and magazines on NFP.

I love what I have read about the Charlotte Mason method and am looking forward to asking all my 'technical' questions here.

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2005 at 4:20am | IP Logged  

HI, I'm new here. I am thrilled to find this forum all based around my favorite homeschooling book :). Honestly I think I've read most of the books out there (the older ones at least), but REAL LEARNING is the one I turn to again and again, when I feel the need of fresh ideas or inspiration. I used to freqent the SL forums but I find they "fit" me less and less these days. I have two sons, Simon and Calvin, ages 10 and 6, and a new baby daughter, Lydia Rose, almost 7 months.

We live in Antwerp, Belgium. We are, *bear with me here*, protestant missionaries, helping nurture a new baby church, and my husband has a passion to see church leaders in unity and working together. We are certainly not seeking to convert Catholics. I have a deep respect for Catholics and in fact a Catholic friend in high school played a part in leading me to faith. I also have a lot of curiosity about Catholicism, especially re. incorporating family traditions based on the liturgical year, something I have tried to accomplish in small ways (eg. we do an advent wreath), but having grown up with no faith at all, I always feel a bit stupid about these things. I love Elizabeth's chapter on incorporating faith into the family and school. Many sentences are like reading my own heart on a page.

I just wanted to share a bit so nothing is awkward later, if this is a predominantly Catholic forum! Maybe it is not necessary. Sometimes I talk too much!
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2005 at 3:23pm | IP Logged  

Hello! I am Lisa, in Southern CA. I have three children: a 6 1/2 year old daughter, 4 1/2 year old son, and 2 year old son. I am expecting another boy in about three weeks. I'm not homeschooling at the moment, but we are investigating the possibility for next year. My daughter is in first grade at our local public school, and while it is a "good" school, she is bored with just about everything but recess!

I am a convert, married to a cradle Catholic for 11 years.   In my non-existant spare time, I love to read, knit and sew.

I'm glad to be here!

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2005 at 11:19pm | IP Logged  

Hello,
My name is Rebecca and I live in Cleveland, Ohio. I have been married for 12 years and have four children, a 9 yo son, a 5 yo son, a 2 yo daughter and a 1 month old daughter. I am always interested in what others do to make learning fun for their children. I have used the Montessori approach/materials with my preschoolers but when it comes time for the school years, I have fluctuated between overly structured (dull) and fun, living literature based/moderately structured learning. My children definately prefer the latter and "eat up" all they can.

I am entering the world of "larger families" with recent birth of my fourth child. I am looking for helpful advice on how mothers and families do it all with many children. Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of getting back into the swing of homelearning next week after taking a month off after the baby's birth.

Some of my hobbies are knitting, classical guitar, scrapbooking and ,of course, reading!

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 10
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version