Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Living Books about Hawaii? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 28 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

ALmom wrote:
I'll be happy to ask my dad about the shell. What shape was it - that narrows down where to look? Does it have a color on the inside or just the stripes on the outside? Did you get to see the animal in it?

Janet

When you looked inside the shell, it was hollow. The color inside was similar to the color on the outside. We did not see the animal in it. Didn't get to take this shell home as it was both fragile and stinky, stinky, stinky. Your mother was much more tolerant than I. Thank you!

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2005 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Victoria,

I asked my dad and learned something new in the process.

There are a lot of shells unique to Hawaii, that we would not have seen on Kwajalein. Unfortunately, he couldn't identify it but did give some leads that may help.

Generally the more rounded shapes are in a group called cowries. They are not generally fragile unless immature as far as we know, so that part doesn't fit. Also the cowries we had all had a lip on the underside and the inside was not usually patterned.

Cones are more triangular so it probably wasn't any kind of cone.

Conch shells that we knew were typically colored/patterned on the inside and pretty dull on the outside with finger like projections of varying thickness and delicacy.

There is another group which name escapes me but it is rounded at one end with a very thin point. These tend/appear to be more fragile.

When you look to identify it - try to find groups who match the basic shape and go from there. My dad said you will probably need something peculiar to Hawaii to get an ID because the shell is probably unique to Hawaii. You might find something on the internet or in a detailed field guide specifically for Hawaii.

Sorry we couldn't figure out more. Did you take a photo of it or sketch you can post? I'm very curious myself now!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2005 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

ALmom wrote:
When you look to identify it - try to find groups who match the basic shape and go from there. My dad said you will probably need something peculiar to Hawaii to get an ID because the shell is probably unique to Hawaii. You might find something on the internet or in a detailed field guide specifically for Hawaii.

Sorry we couldn't figure out more. Did you take a photo of it or sketch you can post? I'm very curious myself now! Janet

Hi, Janet. Thanks for all this info. It is definitely not a cowrie (though I did find a couple lovely ones as well), a cone (found a pretty, pure white one) or a conch. Your dad is right; I will need an ID book specifically for Hawaii. I did find a shell ID book at our library, but nothing even close to this bugger. Did not take a photo, but sketching it is a great idea. The shell was a hollow, round, like a small orange sliced at the top and bottom and devoid of its inside. Now we are wondering if it was a shell at all? You did get me going to looking at shell IDs on the internet and I learned that I could have simply boiled the shell. That would have been easy enough. I'll let you know when we solve the mystery. Thanks, again.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2005 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I know this is an old thread, but going through some of my old books I remembered a Catholic author to recommend. Eva K. Betz...she's out of print, but she wrote several books on the missionaries to Molokai. The Knight of Molokai (Father Damien), The Yankee at Molokai (Brother Joseph) and The Quiet Flame (Mother Marianne of Molokai).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2005 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

Thanks, Jenn. Will look for these!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version