Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Coffee addicts Unite......... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Carole N. wrote:
Oh Molly, I am sorry, but I did not read your first post completely (short on time sort of thing, ykwim). You should be proud that you went out! I would have stayed at home. I'm from Texas and we don't have that kind of weather down there! Absolutely no training, but dh is from PA, so he knows how to handle it.

I am very picky about coffee as well. That is why I have it shipped in. My neighbors think I am daffy, but a good cupa in the morning goes a long way!

Carole, don't apologize! I have to apologize. I was just teasing that Molly couldn't wait 2 days...but your suggestions are great!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Chari wrote:
my dh says he had to buy so many Granny Smith apples for my first pg, he thought our daughter would be a Granny Smith

So is her real name Annie Granny?

Chari wrote:
I decided as a young twenty not to let myself get addicted to coffee "like everyone" around me

My coffee drinking began in ernest when I got a great job in 11th grade at the Catholic hospital here cleaning surgery rooms all day Sat. and Sun. I shared a break room with the nurses....well, you probably know what that means! The coffee pot got a workout.

Chari wrote:
.........I drink tea all day long, just for fun.....no cravings.

Don't worry, I have lots of tea

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Chari wrote:
I decided as a young twenty not to let myself get addicted to coffee "like everyone" around me .........I drink tea all day long, just for fun.....no cravings.

I WILL drink fun flavored coffees, about 2 times a year

I had the same conviction as you, at about the same time, too. And then flavored coffees came into my life. I drink tea, too. I'm actually rather addicted to Irish Breakfast tea.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Jenn now you are silly , no one needs to apologize

Chari you are hysterical

BTW Jenn there is NOOOOOO WAY I could wait 2 days, I would probably be in prison

I do love tea, but not first thing in the AM, what are your favorites?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I have a friend who drinks soda religiously. She even carries around a six-pack. It's bad. She gave up soda for Lent one year and after Easter, people commented on the fact that it was good to have "the old Juli" back. She didn't recognize a difference.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

I'm laughing hysterically at your post! It's amazing what we'll do for a cup of the bean!

We're getting hit with the blizzard here, and sorry to say I woke up to discover I was out of the good coffee. I had to resort to my emergency can of Maxwell House (yuck!) It just isn't hazelnut, but it is better than nothing. . .

if I were out totally, you better believe I'd drive in a blizzard if I had to!    I'd have a migraine if I had to go a day without coffee. You were brave. . .and you totally did the right thing!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I was laughing asking my dh if caffiene qualifies as a drug. The local sherriff has declared us a level 3 emergency, no one is allowed to drive unless it is an emergency. We were told to call the sherriff if we need a prescription, and they will bring it to us. So what would happen if I called and explained I needed a bag of whole bean Italian roast    I can just see the dispatchers face as I'm begging for coffee
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

molly wrote:
We were told to call the sherriff if we need a prescription, and they will bring it to us. So what would happen if I called and explained I needed a bag of whole bean Italian roast    I can just see the dispatchers face as I'm begging for coffee

Oh, I think you'd be perfectly justified!   

You're a woman after my own heart!

Once, when our coffeemaker broke down, we jerry-rigged a contraption involving boiling water, a strainer, paper towels and the magic ground beans.

Anything for that cup in the morning!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

My mom sends me chocolate-covered espresso beans.   I save them for emergencies. Not the same as real drinkable coffee but might work as a stand-in!

I just think coffee is a wonderful part of life. The smell, the taste, the health benefits, the ritual of making it and serving it, the comradeship, everything. I do not have the problems with anxiety and insomnia unless I overdo it, which I don't usually.   All that being said, I'm probably going to give it up or at least cut down over Lent.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I have loved, loved this thread. I needed this *boost* and *rev-er upper* today--VIRTUAL COFFEE!

Thanks, Molly! Sending you vibes of caffeine, antioxidants, tannins, and theobromines over the wires.... !   

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

I think the most desperate I've ever been for coffee was on my first adoption trip to China in 1998. After five days of coffee being totally unavailable, my adoption group got on the plane with our new children (Dragon Air, I think) in order to fly from Kunming to Guangzhou to get their visas to enter the U.S. with us. As we boarded the plane our senses were reeling from the heady scent of really good coffee. We all practically needed "drool buckets" as we took our seats and couldn't wait for the plane to take off. You never saw a bunch of more eager American coffee addicts than were on that plane. The stewardesses even commented on the Americans wanting that coffee.

Soon we were up and off and the beverage cart came down the aisle. One by one, each of us begged for a coffee, and the lovely hostess complied. A few minutes later, she was totally confused by the number of barely touched cups she retrieved at each seat. The pot she poured from had already had enough sugar mixed in with the coffee to bring it to a syrupy consistency, and it was undrinkable. One dad remarked that maybe hell was like that--smelling the coffee, wanting the coffee, and not being able to drink it. No one had the heart to tell the stewardess why we didn't drink it, as we didn't want her to lose face. What a build-up, and what a let-down.

BTW, good coffee was more easily available on my second adoption trip to the same lovely city in 2001. Just to be sure, I brought some coffee and a Melitta single-cup maker.

Mary Alice in Kansas
p.s. now I'm missing China, little coffee and all........
Back to Top View wamegomom's Profile Search for other posts by wamegomom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version