Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: We’re Going to Disney World! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

This thread is so wonderful for me. We are contemplating a trip to Disney as a family this Spring. Never been before and want to try and go before our son goes off to college. This will be so helpful. Thank you to everyone who has contributed with such great tips and advice.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Cay, at OUR Disneyland here in CA...the ORIGINAL Disneyland (can you tell I am jealous I have never been to Florida???)......you can only bring lunch in if it is already prepared........like, you cannot bring a jar of peanut butter, jam and bread and make it there.....it has to be already made........or they will not let you take it in. Also, no glass. So, check.

We eat at the pizza place every night: whole pizza, 2 salads and 2 drinks and share it all..........costs about $50. (Still too much!)

For lunch, we always do pbj's because we do not have to keep them cold........and lots snacks, apples, oranges and baby carrot sticks. Do not plan to go back to hotel for lunch......it is a time waster and you want to maximize all of the money you spent to be there. We do not bring anything that needs to be kept cold.

We just fill up our water bottles at the fountains all day..........which is yucky cuz the water in Anaheim is yucky blech!

DO NOT blow off the stroller........if you still have one or can borrow one.....better.........then you can avoid the stroller line.......very annoying when you would rather be in a ride line

The stroller can hold your sweatshirts for when it gets cooler, plus your cooler and snacks......and occasionally your kid

Malachy has been 10 times in his short life ......this includes multi-day passes (four times really)....and we have been getting this down to a science!    Robynn and I have it worked out very well. My dad treated in Sept last year........and he had so much fun, he is doing it again this Sept

Have a blast!

ps.....I know the thing about going together as it is the last chance to go as a family.........that is why we are hitting the road! (those are mixed feelings )

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Dh and I went shopping tonight and got the bulk of stuff.

Twice we stood there in the grocery aisle (once in front of the peanut butter and the other in front of the frozen seafood microwavable dinners) discussing Ash Wednesday.

Remember, it wasn't my idea to go this week of all weeks. We have three other friends going the same week as us. Seems plenty of people from Louisiana avoid the Mardi Gras celebrations and head to Florida.

We agreed on peanut butter sandwiches on Wed.

Any more tips on fasting at Disney World on Ash Wed.?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

What is a reasonable (if there is such a thing) amount of time to plan to stay at Disney. Obviously, we can't see everything, but do at least want to do Disney and maybe Sea World. Thanks!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Maria B. wrote:
What is a reasonable (if there is such a thing) amount of time to plan to stay at Disney. Obviously, we can't see everything, but do at least want to do Disney and maybe Sea World. Thanks!

I think a week is perfect. You can easily rent a place to stay for that length of time. When we first looked into park tickets, we thought we could only afford to go to the amusement parks for a few days, even though we would be staying in Orlando for a whole week. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tickets are sold so that the longer you stay, the better deal you get. When we went, 7 day tickets were only a few dollars more than 3 or 4 day tickets. Really! And we easily filled 6 days with the main Disney parks alone. We didn't try to do Sea World, or Universal, or even the extra Disney parks like the water park. I have an entire folder of info from our trip, which I'd be glad to share with you sometime, Maria. Just let me know.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

My dh called this morning to see what an extra day would cost us. Only $3 per ticket. Wow! Good deal. We're staying a week, Maria. Everyone tells us we won't be able to see everything there is to see but I figure a week's better than nothing.

My dh doesn't like to use up all his vacation weeks in one sitting. And he always saves one of his weeks for honey-dos around the house.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Cay: Have a great time ... let us know how everything goes. So excited for you!

Irene, when you think of it, I would love to see your folder of information. Thanks so much!

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

We're very picky about the taste of water in our house - so when we went to Disneyland in December, I took powdered Gatorade to flavor our bottles of water filled up at the water fountains. I just poured a bunch into small freezer bags along with a small plastic spoon to carry in our backpack.

Avoided all complaints about yucky water!

We saved up quarters for a few months and split them evenly between our 2 boys. They ended up with $10 each and I put their quarters, along with enough pennies, into freezer bags for the penny press machines. We did buy the souvenir wallet for the pennies (I think it was $6.50?), but it was a good souvenir and they loved searching for the machines. There are some machines that press quarters and nickels as well -- but the penny machines are the best deal.

They chose one more souvenir for the 4 days we spent at Disney - but I didn't let them buy it until our last afternoon. By that time, I KNEW my oldest REALLY wanted the Tigger hat he chose.

Have FUN!

Melanie
Mom to boy6, boy4, and baby girl on the way!
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

We went to Disneyland (believe it or not) for CHRISTMAS this year. Wow---the place and rides are totally different--It's a Small World was completely transformed into Christmas Around the World.   

Anyway, HAVE FUN, you lucky-duck. Disney World is TOTALLY better!!!   

Go on INDY!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Clever, Melanie! I think my kids would choose yucky water over gatorade......except maybe the two youngest

...but, I wonder if there is another way.....you have inspired me! Living and drinking mountain spring water makes it hard to drink water almost anywhere else ....we are so spoiled. In fact, Mount Shasta just won an award for the purest water in CA.....and now will compete nationally

Your idea of waiting till the last day for gifts is a good idea. That is how I shop, too......over the course of my three days, finalizing my purchases on the last afternoon. We barely buy anything, except perhaps music scores and CD's........and HUGE tea mugs

BTW, welcome to the boards, Melanie! Where do you live? I am excited you have a little girl on the way! What fun!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Thank you everyone for all the advice.
I'm printing all this out tonight so I'll have it at my disposal throughout the trip.   

The weather is looking good for next week.

Someone asked if I was bringing my crockpot. Yes. They now make disposable crockpot liners. You place in the pot and put in the food and pitch the liner when you're finished. No clean-up. I'll have a kitchenette but still this will be so nice.

All the food is packed and ready. I washed clothes and everyone packed last night. Dd cleaned house and ds vacuumed this morning. I'm washing all the bedding today. New atlas is marked and girls have been getting a real life learning lesson with it. Opa and oldest ds will be holding down the fort. Pets. Check. Mail. Check. No worries there.

And my book bag is packed for the journey. I just have to do some computer saving tonight.

For once in my life I feel organized.       Perhaps that's not a good sign though.

And your prayers for a safe trip are SO APPRECIATED. Thank you!

Also, my oldest has developed a head cold. Many prayers please. I know I can always count on you guys for wrapping my family in prayers. Y'all are so dear to me.

mom to 5

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

OH NO000!!! Horrors!
---------------------------

Every time that we have had a trip planned to Disneyland I have spent weeks beforehand praying that the kids wouldn't get sick---it is SO Murphy's Law that somebody comes down with SOMETHING. God just does not want us to have too much all-consuming trouble-free fun.

This time, guess what? The DAY before we were supposed to leave I noticed my Clare had a reddish face and bloodshot eyes. I just had a sense that it was conjunctivitis or a bacterial infection. My husband said, "NO, she's just having a histamine reaction..." and gave her Benadryl--- but I just had a feeeeeling of dread and knew that wasn't it. We never get off easily.        

Miraculously, holiday and all, we squeezed into our doc before closing. I said to my husband: GET EXTRA DROPS (or we're doomed)!!!   

Well, long story short: one by one each child passed the scary-looking red splotching and green-goopy eyes to one another on our trip. But they refused to admit they should act impaired in any way (and after having to buy Mickey sunglasses due to the burning while out in the sun) insisted "I'm fine" lest we make them stay in the room, or something....    

We had to administer drops every 4 hours while waiting in line, etc. !!! Sigh.... Then, day of travel home (phew!) guess whose eyes started itching and sticking together: MOI. And I got it the worst. Could barely open my eyes for days.

So, alas: I will pray!! Hopefully cold meds, Vit. C and Zinc, and rest will nip that head cold in the bud. And you guys will have that carefree family-bonding-memory-making time that you are dreaming of and praying for!!!!! (Because you are Gibsons....and Murphy's Law doesn't apply to you.)

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Nina Murphy wrote:
(Because you are Gibsons....and Murphy's Law doesn't apply to you.)

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

aussieannie wrote:
Nina Murphy wrote:
(Because you are Gibsons....and Murphy's Law doesn't apply to you.)

I was just coming to

as well.

mom to 5

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Cay, I cannot imagine how I missed this thread, but I am glad I have time to say have a wonderful time!! We will begin praying for your family tonight!!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version