Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What foods define where you live? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Common English foods we eat ...

Shepherd's pie (we usually make it with beef - technically it should be called cottage pie as shepherd's pie should be made with lamb).

Sunday roasts - roast meat (beef, lamb or chicken for us), roast potatoes, assorted veggies (carrots, brussels, mashed swede, roast parsnips for example). Yorkshire puddings with roast beef.

Fish and chip (fries ) takeaways.

Scones and jam.

Kippers (smoked herrings) - dh likes them whole, the rest of us prefer fillets.

Most regions of England have their own local dishes, but ours doesn't have any I can think of, so as I'm half Yorkshire I'll add some Yorkshire specialities ... Yorkshire pudding (batter pudding), Eccles cakes (puff pastry with currant filling, curd tarts (sweet tarts made with curd cheese - yum!), custard tarts, Yorkshire parkin (gingerbread).

As for barbecues - usually hamburgers (which we call beefburgers), sausages and chicken, and cooked over charcoal. A few people have gas bbqs, but they are not common. We usually buy bbq packs - a tin tray full of charcoal bricks with a firelighter sheet and a foil grid for cooking on. Just take, light and throw. Why we would choose to cook over burning bits of charcoal in an climate reknowned for unpredictable but frequent rain and erratic summer temperatures is beyond me. One important tip: never barbecue in England without an umbrella and someone prepared to stand in the rain and hold it over the food.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

The chili from the Texas girls made me hungry, so that's what we're having tonight, but again from my upbringing in New England here's two not so original foods...

New England Boiled Dinner (Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, etc.)

New England Clam Chowder!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Such yummy things...

Stephanie - I would love to talk with you more about food. I've been trying to teach myself a bit of german cookery.. my dh's grandmother was from Liechtenstein. I have a couple of small cookbooks is all.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Well, a few things from New England:

As Maryan mentioned, boiled dinner (corned beef and cabbage) and clam chowder. I would add lobster *anything* but especially lobster rolls and lobster stew (my grandmother's was the best!).

New England Clambake. Haddock pie. Fried clams. Steamahs.

Boston Cream Pie (or donuts! ) and Indian Pudding. Molasses cookies. Toll House Cookies.

Boston baked beans. Brown bread. Maple syrup. Cranberries.

Maine blueberry pie and Brigham's vanilla ice cream. Apple pie with cheddar cheese. Hard cider and Samuel Adams beer.

Fluffernutter sandwiches and Dunkin Donuts!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Cay Gibson wrote:
I've never heard of an Entenmann's or a Crunch Cake. Is it a name brand? I'll have to look it up. Possibly from New Orleans?

Oh, Cay! I found a link to the cake: Louisiana Crunch Cake. Entenmann's is a baked goods company up here in the Northeast. I practically grew up on their chocolate-chip cookies.   

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Oh, I'm Northern California...nothing in Sacramento!

Um, I'm close to San Francisco which is Sourdough Bread, great shellfish, and in Chinatown, great Chinese Food! And the famous: Ghiradelli Chocolate.

Close to Napa...which is vineyards, grapes: WINE!

Goelitz Candy Factory, the maker of "Jelly Belly" jelly beans and other scrump-dilly-icious candies.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

PaulaL wrote:
ANYTHING made with Rhubarb or Zuchinni...and I make a mean Zuchinni brownie...

That is cracking me up, Paula. The zuchinnis are pretty prolific here too, and you just can't get away from zuchinni baked goods at our Wisconsin potlucks.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Angel

stefoodie wrote:

We also lived in St. Louis, and the two big St. Louis things I miss the most are

TOASTED RAVIOLI, a specialty of the Italian restaurants on "the Hill" and
IMO's PIZZA (cracker thin and cut in small squares instead of wedges)

Toasted ravioli! I forgot about that. Toasted ravioli is awesome. I could never get into Imo's, though.

I forgot to mention that the one thing I really like about upstate NY is all the maple products they don't sell many other places -- like maple cream and maple candy. Maple cream is, I think, just about the perfect food. The first time I tried it I was pregnant with the twins, and could not prevent myself from eating the entire jar straight out of the refrigerator. I think my husband and kids had it with ice cream once.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote 5athome

I live in TX now but grew up in St Louis and really miss:

- toasted ravioli
- chocolate drops from the Hill (an iced cake of sorts)
- gooey butter cakes
- truely thin crust pizza -- it is so popular in St Louis but it is not just the pizza's thinness but the cheese that is used - provel (not provolone) - it is called provel and is made of a blend of other cheeses. It is impossible to describe its unique taste but it is wonderful. I have my mother drag 5 pound blocks of it when she comes to visit!
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I am from No Calif. so Nina already stated what I consider local foods. Now we live in Steubenville, and Pittsburgh people have this famous sandwich where they add to the sandwich coleslaw and french fries. No kidding, it was invented for the steel workers years ago so they could eat their meal quickly. Now it is this famous local custom to eat your sandwiches like that. When the Presidents come or any dignitaries they always make a big deal of taking them to these delis. My dh being a local Pittsburgh boy thinks they are awesome, I think whatever!!!!!!!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Oooh, Molly, I remember that sandwich. We had it at Primanti's. The sandwich didn't really impress me, but the restaurant atmosphere sure did !

5AtHome, glad you mentioned Provel -- that's it! I've never been able to find it anywhere else but St. Louis. I actually am not a big Imo's fan (is there a better version?) but because I associate it with home almost (lived in St. Louis 13 years), I miss it. I'm glad we can get Volpi's sausages here in Cincinnati though.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

molly wrote:
I am from No Calif. so Nina already stated what I consider local foods. Now we live in Steubenville, and Pittsburgh people have this famous sandwich where they add to the sandwich coleslaw and french fries. No kidding, it was invented for the steel workers years ago so they could eat their meal quickly. Now it is this famous local custom to eat your sandwiches like that. When the Presidents come or any dignitaries they always make a big deal of taking them to these delis. My dh being a local Pittsburgh boy thinks they are awesome, I think whatever!!!!!!!

I'm glad you mentioned Primanti Brothers sandwich, because when I saw this thread that immediately came to mind!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Dawn wrote:

As Maryan mentioned, boiled dinner (corned beef and cabbage) and clam chowder. I would add lobster *anything* but especially lobster rolls and lobster stew (my grandmother's was the best!).

Boston Cream Pie (or donuts! ) and Indian Pudding. Molasses cookies. Toll House Cookies.

Maine blueberry pie and Brigham's vanilla ice cream.

Now we're talking about real food . How about a nice squash pie? Popovers? Anthony's Pier 4?? And yeah, Steamahs! The first time I tried to order them on LI they gave me 6 steamed little necks, and I almost cried. And boy, do I miss Brighams!!

Hey, have you ever heard the story of how the Haddock got his stripe? Funny, but it seems it's a story much older than I ever thought...it's listed as a tale from Yorkshire, Iceland, PEI, and more...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

In Nebraska its CORN!!! Beef and Pork! Muskmelons!

We have lots of Czech folks here--kolaches! I'm not sure what else they eat. I'll have to ask. . .

Also in the midwest its plain cookin' all seasoned with good ole' salt and pepper:like mashed potatoes & gravy, ham, roast beef, jello salad, green beans, cold cuts- bologna on Wonder bread with Miracle Whip and a slab of American cheese, pickles, and washed down with "pop."

This reminds me of the Midwestern meals at my Grandparents. We eat differently, though.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Both my parents are from RI--Clam cakes with clam broth-clear, white or red--yum!

DH and I are transplants to central PA.
Here in central PA I notice an affinity for putting chocolate and peanut butter together . I am a straight chocolate girl so it just seems a waste of good chocolate.
Also , bologna is not the German , from the deli kind I grew up with. It tends to be smaller in diameter and has a great many flavors and meat sources--venison being very popular. So, the place you get the bologna is important because meat markets, and butchers have their own recipes.

DD's are from central PA and they love venison jerky.

And after many years in PA , we really enjoy venison chili and steaks on the grill.

DH is from the Buffalo area so Beef on Weck ( a kind of salty roll)sandwiches and of course wings--not BBQ, not garlic, but made with plenty of butter and Frank's hot sauce.
Wall eye or yellow pike , as DH knew it, is by far our favorite Friday Fish Fry fish.
BTW- Those from Western NY--do you realize how lucky you are? Not every one has Friday fish fries at every little place in town--"fancier fish dinners" , yes, but not the down the street , comfortable , reasonalbly priced places. Now maybe it is not just the food but the chance to run into everyone from the dental hygenist you had when you were 7, your first Little League coach, and your 10th grade teacher. My DD's all love going to the "Shack by the Tracks", the place DH went to as a child for their serving of yellow pike.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

BBQ here in SC as well...it's pulled pork just like NC but has a mustard based sauce. Cringe....I'm a Vegetarian .

Also, I live near to a town called Irmo....where they have the annual Okra Strut.....deep fried okra anyone?

Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Dawn wrote:

Maine blueberry pie and Brigham's vanilla ice cream. Apple pie with cheddar cheese. Hard cider and Samuel Adams beer.

Fluffernutter sandwiches and Dunkin Donuts!

There is at least one Dunkin Donuts in every town here, with a drive through - still more popular in our little state than Starbucks (and half the price - New Englanders are known for thrift). I cannot imagine that it will change, at least in my neck of the woods.
For many native New Englanders, it is: Coffee-Regular. That means coffee with cream and sugar. If you say Coffee-Regular anywhere but here, it means not decaffeinated. I say this with too much summer coffee shop waitressing experience (Friendly's and Brighams).

Marshmallow Fluff : We have added it to our hot chocolate when we were out of mini marshmallows. DH's uncle buys a case when he visits before he heads home to Virginia. When I lived in that area, I did not even notice that it was not in the grocery store, so I guess I did not miss it.

As mentioned before... Boiled Dinner- Corned Beef, Cabbage, Carrots, Potatoes, Onions and Turnips. (except my mother in law says the she make it "The French Way" with Roast Beef).

Pork Pie is on the menu every Christmas for many people in this area. Another NH resident we know posted a recipe for this on her blog.

Boston Baked Beans, usually served with cole slaw at the same meal. My mom used to serve Schonland Hot Dogs, with the beans and cole slaw every-Saturday-night. The hotdogs had a "snappy" skin. I do not carry that tradition, we like Hebrew National all Beef Hot Dogs, on the rare occasion when we have them.

Kielbasa is on the repertoire of many family menus in this area, too.

Steak and Cheese Subs - my sister has to have one whenever she comes home to New England.. she claims that no where in the country has them like they do here. Philly may have good ones, but they use Cheez Whiz . Here it is shaved steak, American or Provolone cheese and optional mushrooms, onions and peppers.

Pizza - Most every New England town has a little pizza and sub shop. This pizza is usually rather thin-crusted and pretty good. But in my travels, I found between Boston and New York it just gets better and better!

Yes, the seafood is quite good here!
Steamed Lobster with drawn (melted) butter.
Thick white (not red), creamy Clam Chowder.
Fried Clams usually with the bellies (eww!, yet still common among New Englanders - I also worked three seasons at The Weathervane).

Ice Cream - whenever I am anywhere near the NH/Mass border in the warmer months, we try to squeeze in a stop at Kimball's Farm Ice Cream. The lines are so long, that I cannot but wonder if people come from far and wide to wait in line half an hour for an ice cream cone, sundae or Frappe (which is a milkshake blended with lots of ice cream ).

Whoopie Pies are dessert treats that always can be found in local Bake Sales.

Am I allowed to say what I cannot find in central NH? Chinese - I have searched for ten years and cannot find anything really good. If I drive half an hour south, it makes all the difference and gets a whole lot better.

And.. Mexican.. Oh, how I long for good Mexican food!

This culinary tour of the country is fun! Thanks, Dawn.

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

kristina wrote:
Steak and Cheese Subs - my sister has to have one whenever she comes home to New England.. she claims that no where in the country has them like they do here. Philly may have good ones, but they use Cheez Whiz . Here it is shaved steak, American or Provolone cheese and optional mushrooms, onions and peppers.

I remember hearing that somewhere, but I swear, in my almost 40 years of life, I have never, EVER had a cheesesteak (aka steak and cheese sub) with Cheese Whiz on it. Maybe some parts of Philly make them that way, but no place I have ever eaten at and no place around here does that. American cheese all the way baby!

I did have someone ask me if I wanted mayo on a cheesesteak though - what's with that?!

A few more items I remembered that are specific to Lancaster County or at least they claim originated here:

Lebanon bologna (sweet or regular)
ring bologna
Scrapple
Kunzler hot dogs
In general I dislike hot dogs but I will eat Kunzler's because they are very light and mild for a hot dog.

Scrapple I will not touch. There's no telling what's in that stuff - the names says it all.

Lebanon bologna is a childhood favorite. Like Viv said earlier this is totally different from the German bologna (which I don't like). I like venison bologna too though it tends to be sweet and I like my bologna to have a bite to it.   

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Yes Jen and Stef it is called Primanti bros. that atmoshere is not to be missed when traveling through Pittsburgh.   Totally bizzare for this California girl
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

In my area of Virginia (DC suburbs), I'd say there aren't many (any?) regional foods. This area is known for great international foods, however. You can get genuine Mexican, Thai, Filipino, Peruvian, Afghani, Indian, Ethiopian, etc, etc, etc. food, even in the suburbs.

But I went to college in Williamsburg. And in that part of Virginia, the regional foods would include Virginia ham, peanut soup (yum!), and the type of BBQ sandwich described by those from NC and SC.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version