Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What foods define where you live? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

marcie wrote:
Oh gosh...............where to begin!!
UH..........boiled crawfish, boiled crabs, boiled shrimp.
Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file gumbo!!!
boudin......chicken andouille gumbo.....king cake.
roux.........poboys, dressed!
I could go on and on.!!!
Now I am hungry...........

Marcie, that's what I was going to say! I'm kind of a misplaced Cajun...we lived in Lafayette until I was 12.

We can survive for days on just red beans and rice and gumbo.

Dawn

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

I miss crawfish boils!

When I was a little girl, my dad would take me to his office party crawfish boils...picnic tables piled high with steaming crawfish. All his employees would take turns peeling them for me.

Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

ElizLeone wrote:
Wisconsin -- The land of cheese, milk, beer, bratwurst, knockwurst, liverwurst, sauerkraut, landjaeger, venison, walleye, fish boils, and Friday night fish fries. Also anything that goes with beer and can be cooked in a crockpot.

Yes, Wisconsin and beer! My dad is from Wisconsin and I guess when my mom first went home to meet his family she asked for a glass of milk at a meal and my grandmother said, "You don't have to drink milk, we have beer."    It's a running joke in our family.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 3:01am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

In general, Germany is known for it's beer, pretzels, sausages, sausages, sausages ... pork roast (Schweinebraten), sauerkraut, Apfelstrudel and vanilla sauce, different cakes and a huge variety of breads. It is so difficult to decide which bread to buy at the bakers with a choice of over 30 different sorts, freshly baked!

In particular...in Bavaria, where I used to live, one great specialty is Weißbier - it is a beer brewed with yeast. I really like that one.
In NorthRheinWestphalia, where I am now...A big specialty is Kale cooked with sausages - (not my thing), and Dicke Bohnen - which is thick big beans! Not at all my thing.

We use real butter,real cheese, whole raw milk and cream daily. Just in the last couple of years the words 'low-fat' have been appeariing on labels in the supermarket. A lot of people use margarine, but I don't know why????
Ever since more low-fat and 'finished foods' began appearing in the supermarkets, the Germans began to get fatter. Obesity is becoming a problem in Germany too. It was not a problem 10 years ago. Inspite of whole milk and cream.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 3:07am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Mmmmmmm! Germany sausages with sauerkraut!    We eat alot of organic sauerkraut at home with any of our meat, a very healthy fermented food that even the children love!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 3:12am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

St Ann wrote:
We use real butter,real cheese, whole raw milk and cream daily. Just in the last couple of years the words 'low-fat' have been appeariing on labels in the supermarket. A lot of people use margarine, but I don't know why????

Actually we do this too (where we can afford it or obtain it) a book called Nourishing Traditions opened this once vegan girl's eyes!

It is a funny thing that the Australian Heart Association give margarine a 'tick' for good health on the packet - this is certainly not my understanding of it.

Wow! I'd do well in Germany! (interestingly my husband's ancestory is almost all German) and certainly our children look very German/European.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Angel

We live in upstate NY now -- maple syrup and dairies-- but my husband and I both grew up in Tennessee. I grew up about 30 miles away from the Jack Daniels distillery and dh grew up in Memphis, where people eat BARBECUE. And none of that vinegary stuff, thank you very much.    It's a sweet BBQ, pulled pork sandwich served with coleslaw on top, and of course, banana pudding for desert. Memphis is also known for ribs, which are barbecued with a dry rub. We try to have his parents smuggle us up some real barbecue sauce when they come visit.

Some other foods:

cornbread dressing
pimento cheese sandwiches (I could never get into these.)
fried okra and squash
turnip greens with hot vinegar
peach cobbler

When we lived in St. Louis, it was pork steaks and brats. And beer.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We live in Cincinnati now -- which is known for its CHILI!!! It's also known as "porkopolis" -- people love pork here (as a Filipino, I'm glad).

In PA where we lived, the particular area (NE PA) was known for its

WHITE PIZZA / Pizza Bianca - no tomato sauce, lots of provolone and mozzarella and major sprinkling of olive oli and rosemary. Perfect with spicy sausages, Chianti and a bean salad.

We also lived in St. Louis, and the two big St. Louis things I miss the most are

TOASTED RAVIOLI, a specialty of the Italian restaurants on "the Hill" and
IMO's PIZZA (cracker thin and cut in small squares instead of wedges)

And when we lived in Texas, it was

TEXAS BARBECUE (the one you make with a dry rub and a "mop") and cook for 8 hours and eat with raw sweet onions after, and of course
bowls of TEXAS RED -- dh's cousin who was born and raised there says COCONUT CAKE but ugh, i'm not a big fan of coconut, not in cakes anyway...

Cay et al in Louisiana -- I miss the crawfish boils!!! Those were the best. And the deep-fried boudin balls!!! And you reminded me of jambalaya, just the thing I need to pack for dh's lunch for next week. Thanks!

Yum. Great thread, Dawn! One of my blogs-in-progress is a cookbook-type blog that incorporates geography, literature, religion and history -- I hope you gals don't mind if I use the info you've shared here...

Edited to add, I should add Filipino favorites here:

Lumpiang Shanghai (mini spring rolls stuffed with ground pork, chopped shrimp and chopped jicama and green onions, then deep fried)
Pansit/Pancit (the Filipino contribution to the Asian noodle category -- comes in soups and sautes)
Adobo (the quintessential Filipino dish -- meats and/or poultry and/or veggies slow-cooked in garlic (LOTS) and vinegar, oftentimes soy sauce, and black pepper)
Sinangag -- garlic fried rice (yup, we love our garlic!)
Inihaw na isda (grilled fish, with or without a pico-de-gallo-type dressing/dip/stuffing)
Lechon de Leche - spit-roasted baby pig
Leche Flan -- super-rich with egg yolks and caramelized sugar

and lots of Spanish and Chinese influenced dishes

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Under the Minnesota category, in addition to Lefsa and Lutefisk:

ANYTHING made with Rhubarb or Zuchinni...and I make a mean Zuchinni brownie...

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote marcie

As I sit here with my breakfast..........how could I forget. Community Coffee! Barq's rootbeer!!

By the way......Dawn........the lemonade bread is yummy!!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MicheleQ wrote:
Theresa in MN wrote:
Lots of pies there Michelle. Mmmmm

What is fastnachts?

The best donuts you have ever tasted! They are a traditional fat Tuesday treat (the day before Ash Wednesday). We're making our own this year and I hope to get pictures and the recipe up on my blog.

I had just blogged about finding the fastnachts up in PA. They were better than regular doughnuts!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

J.Anne wrote:
Mexican food and barbecue here. Lucky me

Yep!!! Love that Mexican food.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Oh, have to add in the chili too. Authentic Texas chili does not use ground beef or beans. It's slow cooked with stew type meat. Yummo (as Rachael Ray would say).

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

On the northcoast of Ohio, we have walleye, fried perch, delicious apples from family owned orchards, apple cider and apple butter, maple syrup, wine (many local wineries), Harry London chocolates, brown "Stadium" mustard and delicious honey. Here we call soda "pop" . There are many different nationality's food festivals every summer (Irish, German, Czech, Italian, etc.) where you can sample some hearty and yummy treats.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
The one that I can think of that sort of is a specialty here in Colorado that you don't find in a lot of locales, is Rocky Mountain Oysters -

Yuck! . I've been here 46 years and I've never tried them. Most people don't eat them regularly.

I think Buffalo is a little more popular. Elk is pretty plentiful (if you are or know a hunter friend ) and it's delicious!

Also famous here (and mostly very seasonal): Rocky Ford cantaloupes, Western slope peaches and cherries, fresh apple cider during Sept., fresh Rainbow Trout, panfried, all kinds of wild game jerkies.

The classic Western Sandwich (also sometimes known as a Denver Sandwich) is composed of scrambled eggs or egg omelet cooked with ham, onions, green peppers, salt and pepper. "The Western Sandwich was invented by pioneers. It was common for eggs to get "high" after a long haul over hot trails. In order to salvage the eggs, and kill the bad flavor of them, pioneers women mixed eggs with onions and any other seasonings on hand.

1/4 pound ham or 4 slices bacon, diced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 eggs
Salt
Pepper
Bread or round buns
Fry ham or bacon in a skipped for several minutes. Toss in green pepper and onion and cook until vegetables are almost tender. Beat eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper. Pour over mixture in skillet and cook until eggs are set. Turn with a broad spatula and brown second side lightly. Place between slices of buttered bread or buns. Makes 4 sandwiches."
---American Heritage Cookbook and Illustrated History of American Eating and Drinking, Menus and Recipes [American Heritage:New York] 1964 (p. 539)

ETA:
The menu at the Fort Restaurant shows traditional Southwestern and Rocky Mountain foods (with a definite gourmet twist!)

Fun topic Dawn.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote momwise

KC in TX wrote:
Oh, have to add in the chili too. Authentic Texas chili does not use ground beef or beans.

KC, I volunteered myself to bring chili to a gathering of people just here from TX. After I thought about it I could have kicked myself.    To top it off their extended family were restaurant owners. I went ahead and cooked it with ground beef and beans but I apologized because it wasn't really chili.   

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

I've had beignets and fastnaughts. Beignets are better. Even though I live in western NY, I am a Southern Girl through and through. I keep bacon grease in the fridge, for use in frying eggs. I use lard for my baking needs(can we say flaky biscuits?), and butter on my toast. My favorite meal is fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and green beans cooked till they are almost mushy with bacon bits in them. And sweet tea. Good thing I don't cook like that everyday ! My family is from AL, and they KNOW how to cook....fried pies...beans and rice...jambalaya...hush puppies...oh I am getting hungry I better stop!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

8kids4me wrote:
I've had beignets and fastnaughts. Beignets are better.

I've had them both, too. They are different, and both good, in my opinion. In my memory, beignets are similar to funnel cakes, except the shape is different.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

marcie wrote:
Community Coffee! !

I'm sitting here with my second cup of Community decaf, Marcie. Nice and hot on a chilly, chilly day. Is it cold on your end too?

If only we had some fresh beignets from Cafe' du Monde's.

I was looking at this link on fastnaughts provided by Jenn. They are shaped almost just like beignets without the holes in either. When I saw the recipe had 1 cup mashed potatoes and thought "there's the secret ingredient!" To me, potato bread is much better than regular bread. So light and fluffy, yet moist.

The secret ingredient in beignets is on the outside. You cover it in powdered sugar. The more, the better. Jenn, is right. They are like funnel cakes.

Here is Chelsea taking a bite of a beignet at Cafe' du Monde in New Orleans.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

My brother who lived in New Orleans for 4 yours taught me to LOVE Community Coffee. And one of my fondest memories of New Orleans is an early morning breakfast of beignets and iced coffee. I think my son thought he had died and gone to heaven. He was only 5 years old but he still remembers how good they tasted.

And Cay, I could eat all those great foods 24/7.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version