Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What foods define where you live? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Cheryl M. wrote:
Marcie - my first thought....."Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file gumbo" - hummed of course!

Every time I make Jambalaya, I scream that whole song so that the kids think I'm a nut. But hey, at least they can tell what's for dinner!

NY--Pizza, huge "deli" sandwiches, Manhattan clam "chowder" (it's really just soup--wouldn't touch the stuff myself ), bagels, little necks, cherry stones, oysters. The thing is, we can get any food imaginable within a 5 mile radius, so it's hard to tell what's real NY food any more!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

OK, I'm not sure if these are specifically AL - but definitely southern:

pecan pie, apple or peach custard, barbecue sandwhiches and iced tea made with the sugar added while the brew is hot - not after the fact. I'd also say bacon grease seasoning (my grandmother had a can to collect bacon grease and it sat permanently near the cooking area for convenient use -but that is passing as everyone worries about health), buttermilk biscuits, biscuits and gravy, okra, either breaded and fried or baked with tomatoes, purple hull peas and black eyed peas with ham bone.

I'm not sure about hash - may be common throughout the country but it is basically leftover roast with water, onions, carrots, potatoes and a little corn starch and milk for thickening. We prefer our roast the leftover way!

Not as common in everyday fare, but more common around here - deer meet stew, pheasant. Hunting is very, very common so recipes for game are as well. (Had to laugh with Genevieve as only in this part of the country would a door prize at an office party be a rifle)

Janet

Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote Diane

Belgium is known for chocolate, waffles, speculoos (crisp gingerbread cookies), frites (french fries), moules (mussels), endives, and beer (over 500 different ones). And the bakeries are amazing---breads, baguettes, fresh fruit tarts, and pastries filled with chocolate, fresh whipped cream, fruit, custard---oh my!

No wonder I've gained some weight in the past three years! (it's not the endives )

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, here in NC it is barbeque pork with a vinegar base. Served on a bun with Cole slaw.
Also, biscuits and gravy, country ham (very salty), field peas, butter beans, fried chicken, chicken and dumplins (buscuit style)...
Basically think "Cracker Barrel" and you've got it.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Although I am not *there* right now, I grew up eating Cuban and Peruvian even though I live in VA, so here are my foods:

Black beans and rice and the mixed up version moros y cristianos
ham croquettes
ropa vieja (old clothes)-shredded flank steak in a tomato sauce
boliche (cuban pot roast)
fresh ham (every holiday)
yucca (boiled for Cuban, fried for Peruvian)
Peruvian style rotisserie chicken
broiled beef heart
ceviche
lots of rice
fugasa (Peruvian version of foccacia
fava beans (fried crispy and bolied)
cancha (Peruvian version of popcorn)
Choclo (Peruvian corn, think giant kernels)
Sopa serana
alfajores (cookies)

Oh my, I could go on and on. Lets just say that my mother and grandmother have passed down a great love of cooking...and eating.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Lancaster County, PA

shoo-fly pie
whoopie pies
funnel cake
hand-dipped ice cream
pretzels
chicken pot pie
chow-chow
ham, green, beans and potatoes,
pork and sauerkraut
and my favorite. . . fastnachts!

We also have a touch of Philly with cheesesteaks, hoagies and Tastykakes

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Lots of pies there Michelle. Mmmmm

What is fastnachts?

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Theresa in MN wrote:
Lots of pies there Michelle. Mmmmm

What is fastnachts?

The best donuts you have ever tasted! They are a traditional fat Tuesday treat (the day before Ash Wednesday). We're making our own this year and I hope to get pictures and the recipe up on my blog.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Dawn wrote:
My mum came over to visit and she brought a Louisiana Crunch Cake for tea. When I saw the box, I could not help but think of my dear friend Cay, from LA! It got me to thinking how fun it would be to know what everyone's regional specialties are.

Cay, I have no idea if this cake was authentic (it was an Entenmann's ring cake with a delicious almond-y glaze) but I would love sometime to serve a tea snack that really represents your roots!

I'm just seeing this, Dawn. I saw the subject line and thought "How fun!"    You're right. A geography lesson with food would be such RICH learning.    

The only "ring cake" we have are our King Cake found anywhere from Epiphany to Mardi Gras. I've never heard of an Entenmann's or a Crunch Cake. Is it a name brand? I'll have to look it up. Possibly from New Orleans?

Ruth wrote me the other day saying she ate some kind of catfish po-boy that reminded her of me. I'm so glad you dear friends relate me with food.

Dawn, Boston Cream Pie is my favorite dessert. I'll never eat another one without toasting you first.

And, Michele, I call a challenge. If we ever get together I'll make beignets and you can make fastnachts and we'll see exactly which ones are the best donuts.

That reminds me, someone asked me for a beignet recipe on my blog. Perhaps I'll post it and everyone can sample the two recipes and vote for themselves.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I think Marcie and Cheryl listed everything. Crawfish is a given delicacy which we force every Northern to eat. I think that would be the biggest delicacy any Louisiana native would offer you.

Boiled Crawfish
Crawfish Jambalaya
Crawfish Etoufee
Crawfish Stew
Crawfish Pie
Fried Crawfish
Crawfish Au Gratin
Crawfish Bisque
And the list goes on.

One other thing I thought of (on the sweet list) is canned figs. If you don't know how to can your own figs, your Momma and your MawMaw didn't teach you right.

Cheryl M. wrote:

Marcie - my first thought....."Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file gumbo" - hummed of course!

marcie wrote:
Oh gosh...............where to begin!!
UH..........boiled crawfish, boiled crabs, boiled shrimp.
Jambalaya, crawfish pie, file gumbo!!!
boudin......chicken andouille gumbo.....king cake.
roux.........poboys, dressed!

marcie wrote:
more.............
red beans and sausage, duck, oyster, andouille gumbo........anything with okra.,,, grillades, rice dressing........

most anything that crawls on the ground ,swims in the water,,fried, stuffed or blackened!

It's true....cajuns will eat almost anything!!!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, Theresa (Lapaz) beat me to NC...but that's where I live now. I grew up outside of Atlanta...

I honestly don't think that there are too many differences, except that you won't find Carolina style BBQ down there, lol. And I prefer it the way I get it down at "Hot 'lanta"...with a rich tomatoey based sauce...sliced, not pulled...

Here in NC, the pork is pulled...it's alright. Dh loves it. Esp with loads of the vinegar sauce on it.

Cracker Barrel food is pretty accurate, esp if you have a country grandma like I did (I had two, praise God!).

Oh. And we have a bacon grease container. ONly we keep ours in the fridge, for safety sake...safety of the grease---don't want anything getting into it...lol. That is DHs favorite seasoning, running almost neck and neck with garlic. LOL.

If you've ever watched Paula Dean on Foodtv, she cooks alot like my grandma, esp when she's adding more "buttah"....lol

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Do you know I've had it said to me that the Aussie BBQ is not like American ones. Now I would love an American to describe to me how/what your BBQ's consist off.

I'll describe an Australian one: Steak, Chops(lamb) and Sausages (otherwise called snags) are placed on the BBQ. The BBQ these days consists of a hot plate, for the sausages, and a grill, for the steak and chops. It is attached to a gas bottle.
Now generally the menstand around and talk to the host whilst he cooks the meat. The Barbie is out in the backyard. The men seem to enjoy the whole experience if flames lick up and torch the meat whilst they stand around giving 'advice' (generally ribbing) the cook. And inevitably they generally have stubbies (beer bottles) in their hands.

Well the children all run around playing whilst this 'ritual' is being enacted and the women catch up with one another. These days the men and women will co-mingle with one another but still the Barbie is a man's domain. When we get togethter with friends everyone brings a plate, a salad to share. Potato salad, a green salad, beetroot are the staples and then whatever is a particular women's 'specialty'. One friend will always bring a rice salad for example.

This is all a bit upmarket from when I was a child, then it was just a 'snag on bread' with tomato sauce for the kids and adults got the steak with some basic salad.

When we get together with friends we always have a Barbie. Here at home we tend to have Barbies a couple of times a week at the moment as it is summer here. Although they can be rather late if dh gets home later as I wouldn't dare touch his the last time I used it I didn't stop hearing about it for weeks Like the time I cleanedout his garage his brothers were horrified when they heard that I touchedhis garage, boy did I get 'told off'

Maybe this is the same as American's barbies? I would also love to hear how they are in England? and Belgium and Germany and....

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SuzC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzC

One of the best things about Texas is Blue Bell (during February they have a Chocolate Covered Cherries flavor that I LOVE...and am actually glad when it's gone. Then on up the road toward me and my fridge is Dr. Pepper. (ok not a food, but deserves to be mentioned)

TexMex and the obligatory frozen margarita are a must for my visiting relatives.

In fact last night I enjoyed several of the above mentioned regional treats!

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Wisconsin -- The land of cheese, milk, beer, bratwurst, knockwurst, liverwurst, sauerkraut, landjaeger, venison, walleye, fish boils, and Friday night fish fries. Also anything that goes with beer and can be cooked in a crockpot.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Erin,
Sounds exactly like an American barbeque to me! Except here the snags are called hot dogs, and itis more likely hamburgers than steaks unless there is company.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Erin,

I think I know what the person you were talking to was talking about. What you describe we would call "grilling" in my house. If it is just meat on the grill then we don't usually call it BBQ (though we could, it wouldn't be all that confusing). Usually BBQ involves BBQ sauce. At least around here. If we are going to BBQ then we marinate the roast or the ribs in a really tangy sauce and put it on the grill and baste it for a couple of hours. Sometimes we cook BBQ in the oven or the crockpot. As long as it has BBQ sauce it counts as BBQ.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think there's some official definition somewhere that says

to barbeque - is to slow cook on the grill
to grill - is to quick cook on the grill

But in general it's just what people call it.. some people it's all BBQing and for others it's all grilling

and I sure wish it was steak on our grill.. but it's more often hamburgers, chicken or pork ribs.. all of which cost a good half of what steak does.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

OK - we do both in AL - the barbeque just like the ones described above - except that steak is generally too expensive so it is hamburgers, hot dogs and if you are really upscale - then maybe some chicken brushed with bar-b-que sauce.

But bar-b-que sandwhiches are a whole 'nother thing. These are smoked pork (Memphis ones weren't really tangy but definitely not just grilled)then shredded in some way into small pieces/ pulled into string-like pieces. You buy/get hamburger buns, mayonaisse, cole slaw and pickles and it all goes together on the bun. It is great!

I think NC and AL sound a lot alike. Nothing like scrambled eggs in bacon grease and a bit of bacon bits rolled in! My grandmother was a country cook and did the bacon grease until my grandfather's heart attack - then overnight she found a substitute - a tablespoon of vegetable oil and a beef bouilloun cube went in with every pot of beans - not sure it was any healthier than the bacon grease but it was on the docs OK list . But margarine is the staple rather than butter (I think due to cost as my grandmother remembers coloring her own margarine. I never tasted butter until I met dh).

I'd forgotten about dumplins - but that is a standard after thanksgiving done with turkey or chicken.

Oh and how could I forget grits - salted and smeared with lots and lots of butter/margarine. That was standard hot breakfast food when you didn't have a big bacon and egg breakfast (much like other people eat oatmeal).

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

In Oklahoma..."Beef, it's what for dinner", or venison.

Now we would put the ground beef or venison in:
frito chili pie
meatloaf
any casserole, covered in cheese of course

Steaks, roasts, burgers...

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Here in Ontario there are many authentic multi-cultural dishes (much immigration in the last 30 years), but in my area because of the French influence, anything that is French Canadian fare is pretty popular, especially the "Tourtiere" (pork pie) "Poutine" (french fries with melted cheese and gravy on top), and Tim Horton's coffee (I kid you not there is a Tim's on every corner!)

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version