Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What’s your bag? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Oh, you've found my weakness! Do you have any idea how hard it was to pass up all the cute tote bags at target this last week! But... I was good girl. I have boxes of bags. I two larger leather bags with big handles that I use for church. My Bible fits in there along with all of the kids if need be.

My everyday bag is a currently a Curves tote that I found at a garage sale. I keep my monthly planner in there, my wallet, a small composition notebook and usually throw in whatever book I'm currently reading.

I have a small makeup bag that I put in also that holds power, blush, lipstick and a tweazer. I find more chin hairs in the mirror in natural light than I can see in the house. Did I just share that? LOL

The tote also holds a water bottle and a few other items if need be. The only thing I don't like about the tote is that the handles aren't long enough to swing over my shoulder with a winter coat.

I used to have a cute quilted Noah's Ark tote from Avon but it was a little two loved.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I have been a devotee of "fanny packs" for years. My m-i-l (may she rest in peace) gave me a Coach leather pack years ago, and I was hooked. Since it stays on, I never worry about losing it. My kids call it my "pouch" (think Kanga!! ). I currently use a big mesh pouch that my s-i-l gave me. It has two LARGE pockets, and a place for a water bottle.

My girls prefer designer bags, but I just don't get it. When the bag is worth more than the contents...hmmmm .

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Theresa in MN wrote:
My Bible fits in there along with all of the kids if need be.

Wow! You can fit your kids in there too?? That IS a big bag!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

MicheleQ wrote:
You can fit your kids in there too?? That IS a big bag!

ROFL!!

Reminds me again, of Lewis...bigger on the inside than the outside, if you get my meaning.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

My kids don't have huge Bibles. The two boys have a small bonded leather snap closure Bible and my daughter has soft calf skin student Bible.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

molly wrote:
Mary I felted one that I knit also, only the straps did'nt felt short enough. Can I remove them from the bag and refelt them?
Yep -- you can also just cut them and re-sew or knot them ... the great thing with felting -- once you've felted the knit, those stitches aren't going anywhere! That's why felted projects are a great starter project -- most of the mistakes can be hidden....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I have a tote bag of sorts that friend of mine made for me from one of dh's old uniform tops (it's cammo and doesn't match a thing). I love it because the top had tons of pockets and she incorporated it into the bag. Also, she put on dh's old unit patches and it's a trip down memory lane.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh I JUST got a new one.. and it's way on sale..

Civita Shoulder Bag

It's great.. not too big, fairly light weight.. a big pocket that I can carry a couple diapers/pullups each for the 3 kids in them and wipes, a change of clothes and a burp cloth for the baby, and some smaller pockets that aren't too small for my *purse* stuff.. and yet the whole thing is small enough even if I don't have the kids with me.. it's not a big deal to carry around or look funny like I have a diaper bag on my shoulder and no kids with me. Oh and it has a handle on the top.. that is so nice.. as well as the shoulder strap. It's that sueded microfiber.

oh and I forgot.. it has 2 water bottle pockets too.. I don't carry water at this season but it'll be so nice this summer

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I am totally practical in this area. I always have one purse that I use daily -- for the past 10 or more years it's been a black leather hobo bag. My current one is only about two years old and already looks awful. The leather straps are ready to fall apart. I really need to get another soon. Unfortunately, it is also way too heavy for the health of my back.    

My fashion-conscious 12yo dd, on the other hand, owns about a dozen purses, including two Vera Bradley bags that she purchased with her own money from her mother's helper job. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't even know who Vera Bradley was.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Cheryl wrote:
I don't have any hand bags or pocketbooks. I use a black leather planner binder (around 5 x 8in). It holds all my cards, money, monthly calendar and addresses & phone numbers. When I go to a wedding, I use my dh's pockets.

Second only to my pocketbook obsession was my planner obsession. What kind of planner do you use, Cheryl?

MacBeth wrote:
I have been a devotee of "fanny packs" for years.

Yes, Macbeth! I remember when we met in Boston last summer you had a fanny pack! They are so convenient - I had one at one time.

I admit to a weakness for Vera Bradley bags. I love their colors and patterns. I have worn them for years. Currently I am using a green and violet pattern with all kinds of great pockets inside and out. I like it because when we go out I can pack in my calendar, my weekly folder, my coupon pouch, a few magazines or books for the kids (and me), a couple of snacks, my wallet ... etc.!

Thanks everyone for talking "bags" with me!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote soodow

I'm crazy about bags ... and have far too many ... but
My love of bags has been handed down to my 16yodd who now sews and sells book bags. She is making a great one now for a friend who wants a bag just for her Magnificat and In Conversation.
I love my leather book bag from LLbean. I can fit my planner and "to do" stuff in it when we go somewhere. My husband laughs that I always need my bag at my feet in the car on trips. I will curl up if thats what it take to fit my "to do" bags in there with me
My purse in now a Coach bought at a thrift store for $12 Its about 12"x12" and has dividers and pockets it's wonderful.
I will try to post some photos of dd bags they are fun. She has made each of the youngers there own "to do" bags for travels.

Sue
Mom of 6
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

soodow wrote:
I love my leather book bag from LLbean.

Many of you have mentioned this bag, so I will have to check it out tomorrow! The older boys and I are heading over to Bean's with my mum. My oldest desperately needs pants and I have a year's worth of LL Bean bucks to spend!

Maybe I'll start a new thread - what would you buy at LL Bean's?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dawn wrote:
I admit to a weakness for Vera Bradley bags. I love their colors and patterns. I have worn them for years. Currently I am using a green and violet pattern with all kinds of great pockets inside and out. I like it because when we go out I can pack in my calendar, my weekly folder, my coupon pouch, a few magazines or books for the kids (and me), a couple of snacks, my wallet ... etc.!

Thanks everyone for talking "bags" with me!

Oh, I had to chime in. I do want a Vera Bradley bag..but I want one that is more "organized". The only ones I've seen are big wide open spaces. Which "model" do you have, Dawn?

I love bags, but I have a problem buying them. I use a purse, and it's pretty big because I had to hold my son's epipen, Benadryl and other emergency items. Everything falls to the bottom and I don't like it. I look for what fits my stuff and is on sale. I have a 9West black bag right now...I bought it for function, but I get all sorts of compliments on it. It makes me chuckle. I usually buy one bag and use it until it's worn out.

I prefer spending money on books. Or clothes.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

JennGM wrote:

I prefer spending money on books. Or clothes.
You mean, after you buy books, you still have money left over??????

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

JennGM wrote:
Oh, I had to chime in. I do want a Vera Bradley bag..but I want one that is more "organized". The only ones I've seen are big wide open spaces. Which "model" do you have, Dawn?

Well, I have four at last count:

The Tote in a retired blue-and-brown pattern. Just one pocket inside.

The Villager in last year's green-violet shade. Six pockets inside, three outside, key fob.

The Handbag which was my first 8 years ago - in a retired red pattern. One pocket inside with zippered pouch.

The Carry-All in a brown-orange-pink floral. It is the biggest I have, with the most pockets. It is almost like a smallish diaper bag. Four pockets inside. Five outside - one zippered, two velcro-shut and two open at ends (great for sippy cups ). Also has a key fob and adjustable staps.

A friend of the family's works in a shop that sells Vera Bradley so I have been able to get them discounted. I know they are pricey, but they last and last.

(Plus they match my cardigans. )

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Dawn wrote:
   What kind of planner do you use, Cheryl?

The binder is my dh's old black leather Franklin Covey binder. He bought a new one and I took the hand-me-down. It's a good thing too, because it's all banged up and has some green glitter glue on one corner.

Right now I'm using the Franklin Covey Blooms monthly calendar pages and address tabs. I'm using my home management binder for weekly plans. (a Word document for school, and I'm penciling in the weekly house plans on a form until I find out what works for me.)

Dawn, your handbags are very pretty. My sister just bought a Vera Bradley one. I might try one someday. They look very feminine.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Cheryl wrote:
Dawn wrote:
   What kind of planner do you use, Cheryl?

The binder is my dh's old black leather Franklin Covey binder. He bought a new one and I took the hand-me-down. It's a good thing too, because it's all banged up and has some green glitter glue on one corner.

Cheryl, when I worked (goodness, 12 years ago!) I *loved* Franklin Covey. I used them, my husband-to-be used them, I got my editors using them ...

I last used FC about 5 years ago - I had a lavender suede binder cover and I think the filler was called Seasons.

That was back when you had to order their products. Now I see them at Office Depot. In fact, because I really wanted a daily planner, I picked up their Compass One-Page-Per-Day Wire-Bound Planner. It's not in a binder or anything, it's just like a spiral-bound notebook. But I really needed something that had one page per day. So far I like it.

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

I used a black leather backpack purse that I spent way too much on in 1995. I used it for 8 years, so I did end up getting my money's worth. I replaced it with a black cheap microfiber bag, which did not last but a few months before ripping.

My current bag is a much better quality Black Microfiber Backpack. I just linked the exact bag, but I only paid $17 plus shipping for it new from eBay over a year ago and it is still holding up! Being hands free is so convenient.   I think this is the best bag I have had yet. It has handy little pockets inside, in the front for keys and phone and inside the back, too.

I also use a canvas tote as a gather bag. As in, the paper monster on the desk needs to go somewhere, so it goes on in this until I have a pocket of time to sort, file and toss.

Then there is the go-bag which contains whatever we need to "go." Usually a magazine to read, sometimes our current read aloud, a bible, babywipes, coupons, snacks, etc..

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Theresa started a fun Bag Tag and I just put up my post.

So, if you have a blog, consider yourself tagged! Let's see those bags and all the "goodies" inside!

And if you don't have a blog, we could continue this thread and list what's in your pocketbook this very minute? (No fair cleaning out first - though that's what I ended up doing ... )

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I haven't carried a purse/pocketbook in years.
I just use whatever diaper bag I bring home with the newest baby.

I may have to blog mine....

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version