Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tznius skirt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 10 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I've never seen these sites before. Very cool! I am almost 6 ft tall and usually buy skirts at a 38/39" length. So that should mean I can wear these.

But there are many of you wearing these skirts that are 5'5"ish! I'm confused? How can it fit both heights?

Also, about the tie...I read one review that recommended tying at the side.

Hmmmmmmm...wondering how long I could wear one of these while pregnant...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Congratulations, Books!!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=526&group id=

Did y'all see this one on sale? Its beautiful for summer. I'm no size 10 (way too tall for that!) but for those of you who are, its a great price and comes in some beautiful colors.

Total rabbit trail, but has anyone noticed how beautiful and graceful their head coverings are? I bet they look so cool walking down the street in NYC!

Edited to add: What is viscose fabric? In the picture on the Modest World website, it almost looks like polyester. Is this going to breathe at all during the hot summer months?

~Books

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2007 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

mairejam5 wrote:
nak...ok, so any modest wear out there for 6' and size 18 - 20? the only things I have that fit me right and look nice are those that I have made.

Maire -
My girlfriend wears these wrap skirts and she's a size 20-24. She's not 6'. But, on a 6-foot person, they'd actually be a regular length skirt - halfway down calf or so?
Do you feel like there is just "too much" skirt in these for you since you're 6'?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Books, I am a short mama that can wear this skirt right now just fine because I tie it above my belly bump. Once the baby comes, I know I will have to hem it. I've also found that it is begining to look a bit 'tenty' on me, but I solved that by wearing a belly band over my belly to give it more of a fitted look. I don't know how much longer I will be wearing it though, because tying is a bit uncomfortable over my sensitive belly. I'm 18 weeks along.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

mairejam5
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 14 2007 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote mairejam5

Suzanne,
Thank you for telling me this. I wasn't afraid it was too much skirt, I just thought it wouldn't go around my middle and not gap inappropriately. :) From what you're telling me, I may be able to wear it after all! :)
Maire
Back to Top View mairejam5's Profile Search for other posts by mairejam5

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2007 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Maire -
There is 48 inches of fabric at the waist. So, that gives you an idea how much extra there would be.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Suzanne, have you seen the Modestworld skirt? I'm trying to figure out what viscose fabric is? I've never even heard of it before...

~Books

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Books, I have had both the twill from Tznuis and the Vicose from Modest World, and I do not like the twill at all. There are many issues with the Tznuis besides the fabric (for me at least.) But there is nothing about the Modest World skirt that I do not like! :)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Lisbet wrote:
Books, I have had both the twill from Tznuis and the Vicose from Modest World, and I do not like the twill at all. There are many issues with the Tznuis besides the fabric (for me at least.) But there is nothing about the Modest World skirt that I do not like! :)

What I'm wondering is if viscose breathes like cotton, or if its more like rayon. I'm worried about being too hot in the summer.

What don't you like about the tznius one besides the bulky bow issue?

~Books

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

From my friends in the South....Georgia, etc....they LOVE Viscose in their hot months....even more than cotton. Friends of mine that live in hotter climates have opted for the viscose skirts from Modest World instead of Tznius.    

I have two viscose dresses and I really like them in hot weather. It is a very "fluid" material, like rayon......but a bit rougher texture. Very thin, but durable....I've had my viscose dresses for years. I think it's also a very "slimming" material. I'm not sure how to explain that, but the way it drapes....is very nice, slimming, yet modest.   

Here is the definition of Viscose Rayon from from Home Comforts :

Most rayon you buy is viscose rayon. ...... This type of rayon is usually identified on the fiber content label merely as "rayon" or, often, "viscose".

Fabric made from viscose rayon is usually soft and drapable with a pleasant cottony hand. It is weaker than silk, linen, cotton, and wool. It is highly absorbent -- even more than cotton or linen--and cool, characteristics that make it one of the most comforable of fibers, especially in warm weather. Viscose rayone fabrics, especially in warm weather. Viscose rayon fabric may stretch when it gets wet and shrink as it dries, and may even stretch and shrink with changes in atmospheric humidity; thus it is usually a poor choice for draperies. Unlike cotton and linen, rayon fabrics lose much strength when wet, so laundering may not be recommended or may have to be done with gentle agitation. Unless given a shrink-resistent treatment, viscose rayon fabrics tend to shrink more than compoarable cotton fabrics. Viscose rayon fiber is modestly more elastic than cotton or linen but less elastic than silk and wool. Rayon fabric tends to be rather limp or lacking body.

Viscose rayon fabric tends to lack the resilience of silk and wool and therefore wrinkles more readily. Its inherent tendency to wrinkle is one of the biggest disadvantages, but this may be reduced by wrinkle-resistance treatments and by careful engineering of the construction of the yarn and fabric. When buying an item made of rayon fabric, crumple it for a few seconds in your hand and then release it to determine how much it wrinkles.

More than you EVER wanted to know about viscose!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Not more than I wanted to know at all. Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear its comfortable in the summer, because that is my biggest concern. Woohoo! I'm putting one of these on my list.

~Books

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Good to know about the viscose - my only problem is that the colors aren't all that great

I did order that stonewashed denim from Tznius. It is a really thin cotton material which I can totally see wearing throughout the summer. Since the material is thinner, the bow in the back isn't as bulky as the twill. HTH.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

A review for us taller sisters!

I'm a good 5' 11". I ordered the denim skirt from Tznius. The fabric is much lighter than the average denim skirt. It comes with the fabric having never been washed (a routine concern for us tall girls), so I washed it once, and then only dried it long enough to soften the denim, then hung it to finish drying. It definitely needs to be ironed. I measured from the tag to the hemline after this one wash and it is still measuring 40 inches. Mine won't see the inside of my dryer again.

Several reviewers on the Tznius site mentioned a hem imbalance. I don't think its a factor for taller women who are not likely to use the smallest sized holes for wrapping. My hem is hanging nicely. I can see how reams of fabric around a woman 5' 5" or less with a small waist could affect the hemline, though.

The denim is nice enough quality that with the right blouse and shoes, its probably appropriate for mass. It feels kind of dressy to me. Something about all that fabric layering and the way it hangs just looks a bit more formal, I think.

I'm at the beginning of the second trimester and I can still wear it (probably through the end of the second trimester), but I feel um...more than a bit rotund in it. I don't like how the folds hang around a pregnant belly. And the longer the maternity shirt, the more chubby I look. I think I'll like it more for postpartum.

As others have mentioned, the tie is large and thick. I'm tying mine at the side and looking for ways to alter it.

I think a lighter fabric, like the ones they have at Modestworld, probably hang nicer, but at the moment I don't care for the color choices.

Overall, its pretty, and the construction is excellent. I'd definitely say this skirt fits women up to 6' tall as long as it doesn't get dried regularly. I can envision it fitting up to a size 16 or 18 nicely, but the wrap might not cover modestly a size 20 or up.

~Books

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

There are some new wrap skirts at Modest World, different fabrics and a few new colors.

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Does anyone know of any place else to get a lightweight (preferable gored) denim skirt? I'm leery that the Tznius skirt may be too warm in the summer.

I've heard good things about tencel but I've also heard that it stains. A clerk at Coldwater Creek told me not to put Shout on it as her skirt permanently stained.

I have a gored-skirt pattern but the problem is finding lightweight denim fabric. A friend suggested buying a large denim skirt at Goodwill & cutting the pattern pieces out of it.

Sorry, to hijack the thread !

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Brenda -

I'm going to show my ignorance here and tell you first off that I don't know what "gored" means but I will follow this by saying that I got the Tznius denim skirt, and it is very lightweight - totally perfect for the hot sticky days we have here in the Virginia summertime. HTH.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2007 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Thx Cindy!

That's great to know!

Brenda (mom to 6)

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

For any of you who have the viscose skirts, how have they held up? My rayon skirts has "pilled" over time & have to be handled (i.e. washed) most gently.

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Does anyone have the cotton modest world wrap skirt? If so, does it need to be ironed?
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version