Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Migraine Headaches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

doh! I meant low blood SUGAR.    Gotta eat as soon as I feel like it (maybe that's why I'm a bit soft around the middle . . . )

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Dear Anne,

I know what you mean about soft around the middle. Just wish I was soft around the top.
Keeping hydrated is a must for me. I quickly get dull headaches if I don't drink enough water and that seems to be most of the time. Always on the go, worrying about how much fluids the kids are intaking and forgetting about myself. That's motherhood.

Thanks Erin,

It's good that you know what to avoid for Dominic. It's not at all pleasent when kiddies get headaches. I also suffered bad headaches as a child. I don't recall at what stage but it wouldn't surprise me if it was around puberty. I don't deal with hormones very well - neither does my husband.
Red colour preservatives I don't eat to much of. For me I think it's plain old STRESS.

Love to all
C

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I heard that a vegetarian diet is lifestyle change towards controlling migraine.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, does a vegetarian diet exclude poultry and fish?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 09 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I've had migraines for a very long time. Red wine, excessive sugar, and hormones were all triggers. We changed our diet about a year ago for unrelated health reasons. All organic, we still eat meat, drink milk, but all organic - no hormones added, no antibiotics added, etc. Now, for the first time in my life, I don't have hormonal related headaches. No more monthly, 2 day migraines.     Our eating changes have been major, and we're still really working on them, but I mention them because Cay asked about a vegetarian diet. I don't think it's the meat that's the problem, but all the stuff in it! These diet changes have eliminated 90% of my migraines, and the headaches I have now are much more manageable (I take Excedrin when I'm not nursing.)

Don't know if this helps at all - just my 2cents

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

In case this hasn't been covered, I heard on a radio program that some people get them from artificial sweetners (gum, pop, etc.) A woman who suffered for years finally discovered this and is migrane free now. Just a thought... would be great if it were this easy!
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Pecans, caramel and chocolate have all been triggers for me. I can almost always control a migraine with OTC progesterone cream, though. I also had less frequent episodes after having a wisdom tooth removed.

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Since starting this thread I have found out that we are expecting and that with the twice weekly progesterone shots I’m having, may be an answer to some of my migraines, so far so good.

I certainly feel a little less restless that's for sure since starting the injections and haven't had a migraine since Holy Week in which I had three that week, yes I see the connection.

Neck and posture problems can also be a cause for headaches. We are often so busy with our families/babies/pregnancies that we forget about our backs and necks which need some consideration. My kiddies can sometimes give a good shoulder rub if my neck starts to ache, and they love to be able to try and help Mummy feel better.

I would love to go all organic fruit, veges and meat. I started out that way with my first two children, getting a box of organic vegies and fruit delivered to the door once a week, but as the kiddies kept coming along it all got too expensive for us. Now with eight mouths, to feed including us, it just seems impossible on my husband’s wage. One day maybe when we hopefully live on larger property (we currently have a very small steep backyard), God willing, we will be able to grow our own supply - which is a real dream of ours. Keep that one close to St Anthony I think.

God bless
Chemai

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 10 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote helene

Congratulations, Chemai! Buying plain old fruit and vegetables from the grocery store and washing them well is a healthy, economical alternative to fancy delivered organics. I am also willing to bet they are every bit as good and good for you. Enjoy your pregnancy!

Essy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Essy

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and just wanted to say that I too have suffered with migraines for quite a while (since my teens). For me they seem to be hormonal. I have recently made some lifestyle changes for other health reasons, which I'm hoping that it will help it also. No caffeine, sugar (fruit ok...I'm following Sugar Busters), lots of water and exercise.

Back to Top View Essy's Profile Search for other posts by Essy Visit Essy's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2007 at 4:31am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Thanks Helene,

You have a very pretty name. Yes you are right. For now it is what we can do and it seems to keep all of us pretty healthy. I am big on salads and one pot cooking, stews soups in winter. I always have cooked relatively healthy.

Dear Essy,
Will keep you in my prayer for success.

God Bless to everyone who has responded
Chemai

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version