Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Is anyone cut out for this? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Bookswithtea wrote:
When people tell me, "I could never do that" I usually just say, "I didn't think I could either until I did."

My approach is similar. When someone says "oh my gosh 10 kids I can't even imagine that" or something similar, I'll say something like "well I couldn't have imagined it either but it's really not like you think it is".

Honestly I remember as a child thinking how awful it would be to have a lot of kids - well ha ha the joke is on me huh?!

But of course it's not awful, it's really great.

Dh and I were out to lunch yesterday and I was nursing Maria while we were both just gazing at her sweet face (I know when we have just her with us people must think we are new parents the way we are ga ga over her) and I said to him "gosh I hope we get to do this at least a few more times." to which he quickly replied "me too!" .

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

In our case, my dh was diagnosed with a chronic heart condition that has gotten worse this past year, to the point of it affecting him and all our plans daily. So, though there are times as an introvert by nature, I feel very inadequate for my family of 4 children as compared to other go-getter friends of mine, it is my situation that has made us feel that a big family right now is not the wisest.

It's taken alot of heart wrenching prayer and crying to come to that conclusion. I don't think this was the direction of your question, but I guess some people feel that their personality or financial situation makes them disadvantaged or not cut out to have children. And for some rare people I'd have to agree.

There is a person very close to me who has two girls. She does not enjoy being a mother and is very open about that. Her 5 year old daughter thinks being pregnant is gross. The mother didn't even shed a tear about her last miscarriage. This grieves me so much. At this point, I'd be happy if she would just be happy with the two she has and love them like she should, much less add more children to the picture.

God gives grace for each situation and in my situation, He knows my heart, how I'd love to have another baby (especially since my miscarriage this year), but His grace is also helping me let go of the hurt and bitterness and be really appreciative of the family I have and that I have a husband that's still "tickin" each day.

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

dhbrug wrote:

The major barrier in these times is not capacity or intellect but more a matter of will. There is enough information and resources to assist in raising children and being a good family man or woman but you must use more than the general media as your guide.

Ain't that the truth!

Lisbet wrote:
Someone mentioned here on the board a while back about God supplying the graces for the state we are in now, not more not less. So, when you have, say 4 children, you cannot imagine being 'cut out' to care for 5 or more, or when you have 8, the thought of 9 may sometimes be enough for you to call it a day! (not that I've been thinking about that at all myself, really, not at all.... )

For me, it has gotten easier, not because I have been given magical 'deal with it' powers, or even because everything is easier. I fully feel it's because of the graces and lessons God has granted to me along the way. His Generosity, His Faithfulness, His Love, His Mercy, time and time again He has come through and blessed me. In turn, in being open to His message for me, I my faith has grown in leaps and bounds, my trust - this is a big one, my trust in His plan for me and my family, I no longer question it.

That is beautiful, Lisa.

Speaking of grace, I was talking with someone recently who asked me how I was able to stop committing a certain kind of sin. It took me YEARS and YEARS and confessing it many times to finally stop committing this particular sin. When I stopped to think about *how* I did it, I couldn't remember. I don't really know how I did it. I couldn't remember doing anything special. I just kept confessing the sin when I fell into it and I greatly desired to stop committing it. I really believe that God freed me from that sin...that the reason I'm free from it now is because of His grace. There are plenty of other sins I still struggle with, but that one battle that I've won gives me great hope that God will eventually free me from the other sins I habitually fall into.

Bridget wrote:
We are all cut out for the work God has planned for us. The thing is that His work is never easy and human nature is to take the path of least resistance.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. I often feel like my job is hard...sometimes it even feels impossible. But if it were easy, would I ever turn to God for help? The difficulty of being a mother drives me to my knees, it makes me totally dependent on God for the grace to get through the day.

So many great thoughts here! I was surprised to come back this afternoon and find this thread so long already! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though, with this group.

Dawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version