Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Everyone is scaring me. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Lisa, I just visited "Joyful Chaos" - what beautiful children!

What a blessing you have such good health in your pregnancies - congratulations on another beautiful addition, soon to enter your lives.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Congratulations on the good news! Nothing more exciting than the impending arrival of a new little one, is there?

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Jeanna
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanna

Congratulations on your pregnancy Lisa! First a disclamer, it is almost 2am in my time zone and I hope this doesn't come across wrong or incoherent. My brain is fried and I apologize. This subject has really been on my heart lately.
I only have five right now but they are close in age and when I got pregnant with my 2nd I started getting lectured on "2 years is natural spacing." I have really been struggling with the whole question of should we use NFP to avoid ever since I got pregnant with twins right after we moved to the UK (knew hardly anybody,) dh deployed, and I got really sick (like I always do, but even worse with twins). Trying to figure out is this responsible etc... I just found out last week that I was pregnant with our 6th and it scared me for several reasons that are too many to go into here. I knew that things were not normal and went to the Dr. I got to see the heartbeat on Wednesday and miscarried on Thursday. There have been so many "God" things in this whole situation which got me thinking about how blessed I am to have been a part of this baby's life. If we had been avoiding, this little one may have never existed. Now there is one more soul up in heaven giving praise to God for all eternity. God is not going to give me more then I can handle, but he still continues to bless me. God Bless you and your precious little one! Don't let anybody scare you. You have been given a gift from God and He will not abandon you.

dd11; dd9; ds7; dd6; dd6; dd4; ds3

"There is only one tragedy in the end, not to have been a saint."
- Leon Bloy
Back to Top View Jeanna's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanna

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Fear is not from God...

Look at some of the saints who came from large families. Think of the "medical care" their mothers were given.

Sorry about the 2 disjointed thoughts there and no elaboration, but I haven't had breakfast yet

KrisZ
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote KrisZ

Lisa,
May God grant you a peaceful pregnancy. I'll pray that the Holy Spirit will give you the words to speak to those questioning you about another baby. I'm sure you will joyfully enlighten many souls.

Kris
Back to Top View KrisZ's Profile Search for other posts by KrisZ

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Lisa

Congratulations
I think alot of it comes down to today that it is all so unfamiliar to everyone. Other than hsers how many families do you know who have large families, often close together? Not many I'm sure. Your midwife has had a terrible experience and she is now goiong to be hyper-cautious.

Thrilling news, stay around positive people, only tell those who are going to be positive until your ready.

Jenna,

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Alice R

First, congratuations!

Your family is probably coming from a good place...they are just worried about you and your health and worried that something could happen.

People who are not devoutly religious in their faith (any faith) will NEVER understand those of us who are. They see fear and terror and we find strength from God and peace. They just don't get it. I've found out that you can't explain it to them either.

My MIL has not spoken to us after hearing the pregnancy announcement of babies #2, 3 and 4. If I even MENTION a fifth, she says "God FORBID".    There is no way she can understand the faith my husband and I share...to her, life is a scary place!

Pray for them...that they will find faith.

In the meantime, just be happy and ignore them. It's in God's Hands anyway so there is not much more you can do anyway. Maybe one day they will come around and maybe they won't. But look at the blessings you have with your children. They are a great testimony!

This is why I love to come here and other boards like it. We understnad eachtother. We fill in where family sometimes fails.

May God richly bless you!
Alice R

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oh Lisa,

Congratulations!! And I'm sorry that you've been getting negative feedback when you're the most sensitive emotionally (or at least I am!).

I think sometimes when people who love us are worried about us, they don't stop to realize how their comments might come across as unsupportive.

And are you taking a risk -- of course! And will "they" call your risks "irresponsible" - of course! Incidently, life is so full of risks -- why large families get labelled as being "irresponsible" is one of those things I'll never get.

So, no advice on the midwife and all those other concerns -- you and the other moms of many have so much more experience than me...

But picture me standing in awe of your sacrificial generosity (doesn't that sound better than irresponsible?) What a beautiful legacy of faith you and Tony are helping to create. And I pray that my husband and I can even be half as generous.

Prayers here...

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Alice R wrote:
Your family is probably coming from a good place...they are just worried about you and your health and worried that something could happen.

Your mom just loves you SO MUCH and worries about you, I'm sure!!   
Everything will be fine, and I am so thrilled and happy for you and your family. You're in my prayers.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Lisa,

Just wanted to share my congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your family!

Dawn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Thank you SO much dear friends. You have no idea how much your kind words, practical advise, understanding, and joy have uplifted and strengthened me. I felt a bit like I was falling apart last week, so much was going on at once, and I was not dealing well. Truly, it was coming here and reading what you all have shared that put me back on track. Thank you for your frienship. A million thanks!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Maturemomg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2007 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Maturemomg

I'm late to this discussion, by my two cents anyway...
Posted in another thread:
I have (had) a great midwife- the same one through 5 pregnancies and 4 miscarriages. (I had 2 before that with another midwife in another city.)
She says (and makes sense to me) that in your early 20s, if you can't easily carry a baby to term without major problmes, something must be really wrog with you.
BUT, when you start getting up there in years and after multiple pregnancies, YOU better do your part.
When I was pg at 48, God gave me some pretty clear (nothing new or earth shattering here) insights.

1. NOTHING is more important right now than taking care of yourself. This baby is TOTALLY dependent on YOU and if you don't do your part, s/he will suffer. That's pretty plain and simple. So if the rest of the family subsides on canned pineapple and peanut butter on crackers for a few months, so be it, they'll live. Use paper plates, wear the same clothes 3-5 days in a row (except underwear and socks), whatever.

2. I had 3 areas that I took care of each day, without fail.
A. Great diet (not just good- great). No empty calories, lots of protein, fresh veggies and fruit, etc.
B. Exercise. Dreaded exercise. I walked an hour daily (bought a treadmill), 6 days a week.   I will admit that during the last 4-6 weeks it was more like attempt to waddle for 45 minutes!
c. Solid prayer life. This was/is JSUT as important as what you eat or anything else. I needed to stay closely tuned in with God. Now, in my case, our little one was obviously such a miracle, thsi was easy. My whole pregnancy felt completly enshrouded in a protective bubble and no evil of any kind, no evil thoughts or words or attitudes from others could penetrate or reach me. It was amazing.

Anyway, I never had a "hard" pg, but I can truthfully say that my pg at 48 was easy and the delivery was also fairly easy.
PTL!

And now, in response to some of your concerns.
With my 6th full term pg, I hemorraghed after delivery. We were at home. My midwife (a good Catholic woman) was VERY confident and experienced. She/we were able to handle the crisis without transport. PTL!
My last full term pg was 10 years later. My midwife was no longer practicing. But because we were friends and had been together for so much, we all (her, dh and I) considered home birth again. Most were born at home (the first two in a birthing cneter with midwives).
BUT, I was 48, I had had cancer, I had hemorhaged last time. There WERE real risks. We prayed about it. All was going so well, we considered staying home, playing with the idea, almost until the end. Now, I happen to have a GREAT OB, who has been perfectly content all along to be availble for back-up and lab work as I desire. He was fine with not "seeing" me. We did go in once at the beginning to talk with him and tell him we were expecting and not sure if we were staying home this time around or not. (This is the OB, who, when I walked into his office at age 42 and was pg the 10th time and wanted to avoid another miscarriage, took my desire to carry the baby to term VERY seriously, prayed with us, etc.)

Anyway, we DID end up choosing the hospital. The staff knew we were pretty "independent", we had a licensed doula with us, they pretty much left us alone (as desired). I was fine, but the baby needed help (oxygen) after birth. Also, she ended up being transported by helicopter to Mayo Clinic for suspected heart problems. (She was fine and all cleared up on their own.)

I think if you pray about what to do, God WILL guide you to where you need to be. The human part of me really wanted to be home for that birth, but somehow God guided dh and myself to the hospital.
You will get graces you need WHEN and IF you need them.

Ask dh to run intereference for you. It is his job (and generally they are pretty good at it) to protect you. That may be from nasty comments from family or anyone, negative thinking from an OB, whatever. There is nothing wrong with him having a private consult with any caregiver and tell them what he expects. As a pg woman, you are in a rather vulnerable and (often) emotional state. He can deal with all that 10 times better than you.
Pray that you find the caregivers that are right for you.

AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
YAHHOOOO!!!!

Yours in Christ,
Kathy
Back to Top View Maturemomg's Profile Search for other posts by Maturemomg

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version