Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Have you met 4Realearners IRL? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: How many 4Real members have you met in real life?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [27.82%]
49 [36.84%]
34 [25.56%]
13 [9.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Molly, where in OH are you?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

kristina wrote:

I am in NH. I live in the Lakes Region, sort of in the middle of the state.

Oh, I remember summers (and winters!) on Lake Ossipee (sp?) in NH, where my dad's cousin had a place--boating, swimming, skiing, snowmobiling--wonderful! If I ever had to live away from the sea, you'll find me on a lake in NH.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

kristina wrote:

I am in NH. I live in the Lakes Region, sort of in the middle of the state.

I just mapquested Swanzey, NH and it is:
Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 51 minutes / Distance: 87.45 miles away from my home. (nearly the same distance from Boston, but in the opposite direction). Pilgrim Pines looks lovely, by the way.

Because of our location, we are used to traveling a bit for activities. Our children love daytrips.

Blessings,

Some of my friends go to scrapbooking weekends at Pilgrim Pines, but I've never gone because I always have a nursing child. My sister-in-law found out about the beach, etc. and last summer she went almost once week with her two boys. I joined her about 3 or 4 times. I don't care for driving, but it was really fun. If you are up for the drive this summer, we'd love to meet you there for the day. It takes us about 1 1/2 hours to get there.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Chari

kristina wrote:
Someday, I hope for opportunities to meet with other families.

I am only 2 hours from Boston, so any activities in the Northeast would be fantastic. Last year, our group traveled to the Museum of Science in Boston. It was a reasonable group rate. I am up for a daytrip for a 4Real Science trip, or any other field trip with anyone who wants to get together in the Northeast.

Kristina,

I will be staying a few days in NH, Richmond, I believe, on our cross-country trip. Are you anywhere near there?

We will also be in Boston..........Maybe we could meet up!

Also, if someone wanted to take just a day trip of a drive up some of the Maine coast from that area, is it a feasible idea? I am trying to get used to how close everything is to each other on the east coast!

Blessings,

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Since phone calls count .......I just bumped my number of 4RL meets..........as I got to chat with Jodie and Molly (from Ohio) this week!

I am SO surprised when I read Jodie's posts.....she sure thinks a lot like I do ....I think she will make a great addition to our westcoastfun campout.

And it was a joy to chat with Molly! We should have done it sooner!

I just have to say, especially to those of you really isolated from others in similar situations, like I was (and am, I guess......though I do not feel as isolated now that I have 4RL friends all over the state, and country, who are now IRL friends), that if you feel connected with someone here, make contact, maybe they can be your phone pal.

I do not like to be tied down on the phone myself, but about once a month, I will have a long (2hour) conversation with Willa or Robynn...or Molly or.....and it helps me to get my fill of friendship of a kindred spirit. That's not even the amount of time I would need to invest in a friendship if it were local. And, you could find something to do while you chat: laundry, make dinner, clean out fridge, or the garage....

And, if you can pick someone who does not live too far away, it would be easier to meet someday IRL........AND, an even greater blessing is if your kids' ages mostly match up! Oh, and genders! Sometimes we do have trouble matching genders Seems most of the Catholic homeschooling girls do not live on the west coast!

Hmmm........what about mentors? We have so many young homeschooling moms here..........and we have the ladies who have been around awhile...........we could do a matching mentor program here.

Talk at you later, the kids want to go skiing this afternoon. Won't bother me. I will get many hours of uninterrupted scrapbooking time

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Lisa I am in Steubenville, well actually Toronto,6 miles North of Steubenville!

Chari I plan to meet this summer when she blows through the Ohio Valley we are sooooooo excited! Anyone else coming this way for the conferences etc. feel free to stop by for a bon fire and McGovern style chaos!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Chari wrote:
Hmmm........what about mentors? We have so many young homeschooling moms here..........and we have the ladies who have been around awhile...........we could do a matching mentor program here.

Chari, this is a brilliant idea!!!

Where do I sign up? Even though I am 29 (with a lot of experience at it ) I need to be in the *young* category!

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote kristina

I live much closer to Lake Ossipee as Macbeth remembers, than to the places Chari and Cheryl have mentioned. However, I mapquested Swanzey and Richmond and those two towns are only seven miles apart from each other. Small world. (They are very small towns, too!)

I was on a belated birthday date with my husband this evening. I mentioned to him the 4Real families were discussing get-togethers. His reaction had me giggling out loud. I wanted to what? Meet strangers from the internet? I reminded them that we see their pictures on their blogs.    He played it out and kept me laughing.

Of course we would love to visit with any 4Real families traveling to NH. We can travel as far south as Boston with little planning. So Cheryl and Chari, let us know when and where and if it is at all possible, we would love to meet up with you.

oh.. and Chari, you posted some terrific ideas on your most recent post.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Well, it doesn't change my numbers yet, but I actually got to meet Genevieve. What a wonderful person and our 4 yo busy boys really hit it off. At least we are both in the deep south but a bit too far for weekly playdates. My sister and I really are toying with the Memphis conference so keep us posted if there are any meetings of 4realers there.

I did want to say one other thing to encourage newcomers and new homeschoolers to share whatever advice they have. We really all help each other. I know Genevieve seemed so surprised when I asked her about science and how to find stuff on this board (she taught me how to do a search ) since I've homeschooled so long. I even had her look at my highschoolers science since she has a science background. She helped me more than she will ever know. Years of homeschooling don't make us experts and only starting out doesn't mean you don't have really important things to share! Thanks Genevieve!!!

I am really looking forward to meeting more of you this summer - and then I'll get to bump my numbers up - besides gaining from all the wisdom - new and old.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Janet,

I was planning to start a thread about 4real people meeting sometime during the Memphis conference. I know of two/three ladies in the homeschooling group who is following MA but aren't on this forum. Or maybe they are but are just lurking. Keep an eye out for it!

It was truly fun meeting up with you too. Next time, we must however go to see the local sights BEFORE meeting your family.

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Well, let's see. I know a couple from the homeschool group I used to belong to locally. And I met Cay at a conference in Atlanta last summer...and got to hear her wonderful talk on Catholic Mosaic! And see her "real notebook" in person!    What fun that was!

And I "know" several Real Learners from over at the FIAR boards...I've been at those boards for over 7 years now. Everyone there seems like a familiar face, so I count them as "knowing."

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Did we decide it "doesn't count" if you knew someone IRL before they were on the board? I hope it does, because I know Courtney! We lived in Houston at the same time and were in Familia together!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I'm at 2:
I cried on the phone to Elizabeth after Hurricane Katrina and I went to high school (in Oslo, Norway!) with Monica (1floridamom).

I need to get out and meet more people!

Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I'll overlook the fact that Chari hasn't mentioned meeting Me yet ,ahem, but I certainly met her
And, MaryM has been to my house 2x's, materdei7 is my best friend in a Pacific NW locale, and RobinF on the West Coast too!!!

When do we get to meet the EastCoasters, I have hopes for a Lissa meet this summer maybe...

That's all so far, hoping...

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Meredith wrote:
I'll overlook the fact that Chari hasn't mentioned meeting Me yet ,ahem, but I certainly met her

When do we get to meet the EastCoasters, I have hopes for a Lissa meet this summer maybe...

aw, man.........see what happens when you start listing the names........someone always gets overlooked!

Gee, Meredith, I am sorry ........I WILL admit to having met you.........AND your darling children....AND your goofy husband .....in fact, there are things about Meredith I could tell you, that are NOT common knowledge .....but, you will have to join us at the campout to find out what that is ......

......One of the things I loved about Meredith right away...........was that she went camping in skirts, just like me! ....and I am NOT talking denim here.......fun flowy skirts! That was the first time it had ever happened. Her skirts were prettier than mine

Do you feel counted now, Meredith?

Erica is game for a campout.........I am hoping to meet Lissa this summer, too! Oh, I mean, see her again!   

Actually, I expect to raise my IRL meets with 4RLers significantly this summer!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JSchaaf wrote:
I'm at 2:
I cried on the phone to Elizabeth after Hurricane Katrina and I went to high school (in Oslo, Norway!) with Monica (1floridamom).

I need to get out and meet more people!

Jennifer

And drove right through the Lake area on her way to Texas and missed staying a night with us.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I know Noreen! I would love to meet more! How about a southern campout, Cay? Texas? A nice beach "campout" would be fun!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Courtney wrote:
How about a southern campout, Cay? Texas? A nice beach "campout" would be fun!

Just let me know place and time and I'll have a date with my planner.

The beach though? In a tent? Overnight?

Sharks! Jellyfish!    Sting rays!

<blech!>

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

Wow there are more people in New England than I realized!!! I am in NH - only 30 to 45 minutes from Swanzy and Richmond. We used to live in Loudon and so I am also familiar with the lakes region. Used to do a lot of hiking and camping in the white mountains.
I would love to meet more people in our area! (and I mean that in the broad sense of area - I don't mind driving).

PS - also I have "met" many people here at conferences but very briefly for the most part.

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

My idea of beach campout was "beach hotel". Just kidding about the beach, though! I really would love to do a southern area campout, though. There are probably quite a few of us! I'm not much of a camper, but am open to go just about anywhere. Maybe there are some neat place in East Texas or Louisianna?

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version