Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Have you met 4Realearners IRL? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: How many 4Real members have you met in real life?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [27.82%]
49 [36.84%]
34 [25.56%]
13 [9.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Chari wrote:

Elizabeth, you aren't talking at a homeschool conference in June, are you?????

Paula, where do you live in MN?

Elizabeth, are you talking at the 9th Annual MN Catholic Home Educators Conference and Curriculum Fair at St. Thomas College in St. Paul?? That is June 1 & 2....I know that Danielle Bean willl be there, too...

Chari, I live by Mille Lacs Lake. If you look at a map of Minnesota, there is a great big lake in the center of the state - I'm just south of there. About 2 hours north of the Twin Cities.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
Zero! Zero! Zero! I'm afraid.

If you look on our cool little map I'm the one way down on the Florida penninsula.

I'd love to meet up with others, there has been tentative plans in the past depending on travels and such.

So, if you travel South FL/Miami way (or the Keys, of course) contact me! 'Cause I'll be PMing you if I ever travel off this rock...

How far away are you from Tampa? Disney World? Can you travel? I have a possible trip after Easter, driving down to see dh's aunt...but that's probably too far.

And you'd BETTER PM when you're around this way!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

doris wrote:
No-one! Sob!

I'm doing my best to convert UK folk to the 4Real way, though!

Hey Elizabeth, I'm sure we will get to meet some day ... we aren't exactly a million miles away!

I think the only 4Real people I have met are Michele Q and Jane (mumofsix), plus one delightful young adult daughter of another 4Realler.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I told someone it was a whole day's drive away, then revised my estimate to 12 hours then looked it up on Mapquest to find out it was significantly closer The problem is this darn state is so long and boring to drive through. The never changing green tunnel on the Turnpike is boring, boring, boring! I'd do it though for a chance to meet up with a 4Real Friend!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

PaulaL wrote:
Elizabeth, are you talking at the 9th Annual MN Catholic Home Educators Conference and Curriculum Fair at St. Thomas College in St. Paul?? That is June 1 & 2....I know that Danielle Bean willl be there, too...

Nope. Only Denver this year. I'll be in Virginia Beach the first weekend of June, most likely for the U-12 State Cup finals. And then the following weekend I'll be here for a dance recital and our first homeschool graduation. Then, there's Denver (which I somehow thought was in April).

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I have no idea if you can change your vote. I guess the best way is to put your corrections in the comment boxes (as some of you have). Sorry .

Those of you who have not met anyone from 4Real...do you have local support groups?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

marihalojen wrote:

I'd love to meet up with others, there has been tentative plans in the past depending on travels and such.

OK...you're in a boat, and I'm on an island, both on the same ocean...sounds like the perfect situation...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elizabeth wrote:
Then, there's Denver (which I somehow thought was in April).

I don't know why but I did too. It's Milwaukee that's April (27 & 28). I should have remembered that Denver was June because I went last year...and it was HOT.

I won't threaten you but I will encourage you to GO to Denver. I'm sure you'll have a good time. And the mountain view is awesome!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Kim F

And Kim has threatened me with my life if I chicken out. >>

LOL not quite that but geesh it was like pullin' teeth to get a yes out of her.    

Kim

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

MacBeth wrote:

Those of you who have not met anyone from 4Real...do you have local support groups?

There are three other homeschooling families in our little parish, yet the parish does not sponsor any group/support/activities.

There are two masses said for homeschoolers each month, usually with crafts/fellowship afterward. One is 45 minutes away and the other is 30 minutes away. The closer one has a monthly mom's night out. We participate whenever possible. In both of these groups, our family is a "small" one with only five children. Since every thing is rather far away, we have co-oped activities with other families, such as Alice's teas and we did a five family Tomie de Paola Advent study for four weeks (the blog post is in my draft folder awaiting more pictures.. ).

Reading the threads here at 4Real is so good, especially when I feel a bit isolated and that our lives are completely countercultural to most aquaintances (even family!). Getting together with my real life homeschooling friends is a phenomenal blessing, but it is not everyday. This forum is a place I check in nearly everyday to read thoughts and ideas from others with such similar priorities for our families. There are so many blessings from this forum, from the great ideas, support, and prayers. I have been on some e-lists that have been a wonderful, but this group has been the kindest, most welcoming place that I have ever been online. Someday, I hope for opportunities to meet with other families.

I am only 2 hours from Boston, so any activities in the Northeast would be fantastic. Last year, our group traveled to the Museum of Science in Boston. It was a reasonable group rate. I am up for a daytrip for a 4Real Science trip, or any other field trip with anyone who wants to get together in the Northeast.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

kristina wrote:

I am only 2 hours from Boston, so any activities in the Northeast would be fantastic. Last year, our group traveled to the Museum of Science in Boston. It was a reasonable group rate. I am up for a daytrip for a 4Real Science trip, or any other field trip with anyone who wants to get together in the Northeast.

Blessings,

Kristina,
For some reason, I'm thinking that you are from NH. Last summer, I made quite a few day trips to a camp at Lake Swanzey, NH. Is that anywhere near you?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Cheryl wrote:
kristina wrote:

Blessings,

Kristina,
For some reason, I'm thinking that you are from NH. Last summer, I made quite a few day trips to a camp at Lake Swanzey, NH. Is that anywhere near you?

It's called Pilgrim Pines and it's actually in Swanzey, NH.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

kristina wrote:
Reading the threads here at 4Real is so good, especially when I feel a bit isolated and that our lives are completely countercultural to most aquaintances (even family!)...This forum is a place I check in nearly everyday to read thoughts and ideas from others with such similar priorities for our families. There are so many blessings from this forum, from the great ideas, support, and prayers... but this group has been the kindest, most welcoming place that I have ever been online. Someday, I hope for opportunities to meet with other families.

Kristina, I feel exactly the same way. Thanks for expressing it!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Paula,
Do I get to meet you, too, if you come to Texas? I'm only 15 minutes from Katherine--we could have a big party for you--and all get together!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Jennifer, I was counting on you being there! Then I get to see 2 brand new babies....if you would just have yours!!

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Well, I've met the Bruggemans when they were doing their continental tour <G> and Christina L. who posts here every blue moon or so. ;-)

Mary G., you'll definitely have to give me a holler this summer and come for a visit! We could host a NC 4Real get-together. The Lapaz family could join us and Louise and everyone else in the territory, too! I'm up for it!

I'm not far from Raleigh and I'm a stone's throw from I-95 and I-40's intersection. I literally have 40 in my back forty, LOL! Any Southerners are more than welcome to jump on 95 and join us, too!

So I'll look at my calendar and see what I can come up with... Oh and I'm about 5 hours from D.C.

JoAnna

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

MacBeth wrote:
marihalojen wrote:

OK...you're in a boat, and I'm on an island, both on the same ocean...sounds like the perfect situation...

We were hired to deliver a huge cat to NYC this past summer. I was imagining this great 4Real trip up the coast and was super disappointed when it was cancelled. But the cat is still here and his mooring ball is still there...I think they need to get together!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I've met several, I've introduced others to the boards ( so that counts as meeting, right? ) and my eldest son met many when he was in the US in 2004 - so thats gotta count for something!

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Cheryl wrote:

Kristina,

It's called Pilgrim Pines and it's actually in Swanzey, NH.

Hi Cheryl,

I am in NH. I live in the Lakes Region, sort of in the middle of the state.

I just mapquested Swanzey, NH and it is:
Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 51 minutes / Distance: 87.45 miles away from my home. (nearly the same distance from Boston, but in the opposite direction). Pilgrim Pines looks lovely, by the way.

Because of our location, we are used to traveling a bit for activities. Our children love daytrips.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

OK this sounds weird but I don't know?????   Is Sherry Curp on here?   I knew several from Steubenville when the group was on Yahoo, not sure if they switched over. So is anyone on here from Steubenville? X-hail I remember from the university. And to answer your question MacBeth, yes we have a very large C HS community here
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version