Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Have you met 4Realearners IRL? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: How many 4Real members have you met in real life?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [27.82%]
49 [36.84%]
34 [25.56%]
13 [9.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

kingvozzo wrote:
Well, I met Cay a couple of years ago at a conference in Houston (I was pretty star-struck!)

Oh, dear! I'm sure you descended rather rapidly back to earth, huh?

Paula wrote:
I will be in Louisianna around Easter, and hopefully will be meeting up with Cay.

Natalia wrote:
Paula, I am in LA too. I would love to meet both of you.

Natalia

Paula, when are you coming down again? Short term memory here.    We go on a family camping trip every spring.   Natalia is near Shreveport (am I remembering that correctly)? How far is that from Toledo Bend, Natalia? Cheryl is Baton Rouge. Perhaps we can meet up somewheres near by.

Marcie in New Iberia? That would be quite a drive for you, dear.

Anyone else?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Oh dear I couldn't possibly name all the people I have met! I'm well over 10 but my count is skewed because I travel to conferences to sell my planner. Anyone is Milwaukee? I'll be there this year for sure. Not sure where else yet though.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Cay Gibson wrote:
kingvozzo wrote:
Well, I met Cay a couple of years ago at a conference in Houston (I was pretty star-struck!)

Oh, dear! I'm sure you descended rather rapidly back to earth, huh?

Paula wrote:
I will be in Louisianna around Easter, and hopefully will be meeting up with Cay.

Natalia wrote:
Paula, I am in LA too. I would love to meet both of you.

Natalia

Paula, when are you coming down again? Short term memory here.    We go on a family camping trip every spring.   Natalia is near Shreveport (am I remembering that correctly)? How far is that from Toledo Bend, Natalia? Cheryl is Baton Rouge. Perhaps we can meet up somewheres near by.

Marcie in New Iberia? That would be quite a drive for you, dear.

Anyone else?

Cay, I believe I have to be in Kaplan for an 80th birthday party on April 7th. I don't know when I'm leaving MN or when I'm coming back!! I believe that is one of the benefits of homeschooling.....

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

PaulaL wrote:
And since I might be driving through Texas....there are a few folks there I'd like to meet, also. And maybe even get a peek at a brand new baby........

YOU'RE COMING TO TEXAS? Well, you better keep me posted on that! That would be so wonderful!

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I took the poll and put less than 10. I have met 12 or so, but some locals I new of and just hadn't connected with before they joined the board, so I didn't think that I should count them.

It's hard to believe that we haven't met more people. We used to travel a lot and still do, but we've been in time crunches lately and haven't had the time to wander.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

JennGM wrote:
   I think I scared her off, as I've never got to meet her!

I'm hermit . 'Though someone I know somehow persuded me to go to Denver in June...
And my daughter has her Daddy convinced we need to go to New York as soon as possible.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote doris

No-one! Sob!

I'm doing my best to convert UK folk to the 4Real way, though!

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

lapazfarm wrote:
I have not met anyone yet, much to my dismay. If I ever got to go to a conference, how would we recognize each other wondering amongst the booksellers? We should get some 4Real name badges to wear at these types of things so we can spot each other!

Theresa,
I meant to ask you if you had been in Maryland in the past month or so -- I forget when exactly.   I saw a woman coming out of a grocery store that looked like you from your blog and a little girl like JB. Were you here?
I told my husband I think that's the woman with all those great ideas, but I think she'd think I was a lunatic if I jump out of the van yelling her name.
Maybe I'm just hallucinating you all by now.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

kjohnson wrote:
PaulaL wrote:
And since I might be driving through Texas....there are a few folks there I'd like to meet, also. And maybe even get a peek at a brand new baby........

YOU'RE COMING TO TEXAS? Well, you better keep me posted on that! That would be so wonderful!

I didn't want to tell you until I knew for sure...plus, you might be in the middle of delivery! Once the plans are finalized, you'll be the first one to know!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Zero! Zero! Zero! I'm afraid.

If you look on our cool little map I'm the one way down on the Florida penninsula.

I'd love to meet up with others, there has been tentative plans in the past depending on travels and such.

So, if you travel South FL/Miami way (or the Keys, of course) contact me! 'Cause I'll be PMing you if I ever travel off this rock...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I've met Chari, Robynn (Lavenderfields), Nina, Sharon (sailor mom) and all the other crazy west coast campers!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

PaulaL wrote:
I didn't want to tell you until I knew for sure...plus, you might be in the middle of delivery! Once the plans are finalized, you'll be the first one to know!

Yes, that's true. I could be in labor. Ugh...that seems like so far away. I wish we just laid eggs. I can't imagine doing this for 9 more weeks (my husband reminded me earlier this evening that I say this every time).

Either way, I am so excited about the possibility of seeing you.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

julia s. wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:
I have not met anyone yet, much to my dismay. If I ever got to go to a conference, how would we recognize each other wondering amongst the booksellers? We should get some 4Real name badges to wear at these types of things so we can spot each other!

Theresa,
I meant to ask you if you had been in Maryland in the past month or so -- I forget when exactly.   I saw a woman coming out of a grocery store that looked like you from your blog and a little girl like JB. Were you here?
I told my husband I think that's the woman with all those great ideas, but I think she'd think I was a lunatic if I jump out of the van yelling her name.
Maybe I'm just hallucinating you all by now.

LOL!!!
Nope. Sorry to say I have not been anywhere near Maryland lately. Must have been some other lady with a half-crazed look in her eye followed by a little brown bundle of energy!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth wrote:
JennGM wrote:
   I think I scared her off, as I've never got to meet her!

I'm hermit . 'Though someone I know somehow persuded me to go to Denver in June...
... and I might miss you as we'll be in SC for a neice's wedding

But the upside is that there are some other 4realers here -- who are absolutely marvelous IRLs as well as virtual.....Mary M, Momwise, Michele M. and we've got a few that are slowly being adopted into our "CM club" . On top of that we had the pleasure of Michele Q. coming last year to the conference and Lissa buzzing thru on her cross-country trip.

Maybe this June I'll be able to hook up with Cay (now that will be a riot) and any of y'all in SC/NC available in June? I think we'll be there almost the whole month of June and I'll need some downtime from dh's lovely family......

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

stefoodie wrote:
Whoops, I messed up. I should be in the 4-10. Can I vote again? Sorry MacBeth.

I've met MacBeth, Elizabeth, Lissa (though I was a total dork and didn't know what to say, so I don't know if she'll remember me at all; I guess I was in awe at meeting so many CM (no 4real forum at the time) "biggies" ), MicheleQ, Donna Howey (?) and -- oh no, I forgot her name, she's also in PA....

and I know momtomany and AngieMc IRL.

Of course I remember you, Stef! You came up to me after my talk at NACHE, and we chatted at Sonya Romens's table where she was hosting my booksigning. I remember how pretty you are and how surprised I was, later, to realize the ages of your kids--you looked too young to have more than babies!

I can't even count how many RL/CCM friends I've met in person. I knew Alice IRL first, of course, and met Helen through her. Then, let's see...I'm afraid I will leave someone out and she'll feel bad, when really it's just that my brain is a sieve. Elizabeth, MacBeth, Michele, Karen E, Mary M, Mary G, Gwen, Molly Davis, Irene, Stef, Erica (LOL--we hung out at the park for hours today!), Katie, Chari, wahoo92 (IRL friend), Joann from AL who posts here occasionally, Laureen, Mary Chris, Bridget, Faith, Wendy, OOH THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY, I know there are a bunch more!! If I met you, remind me because it is really fun to recall all of these encounters!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Lissa wrote:
Erica (LOL--we hung out at the park for hours today

Let me just say that it is SUCH a HUGE blessing to be able to hang out with Lissa! Oh my goodness!

What makes it so easy to hang out with women from these boards when we are able to meet in person is we have so much in common. A love of the faith, a love of family, a passion to educate our children in the very best way we can, fairly similar ways of parenting..... There are so many things to talk about! Sure there may be a few differences. I think also there is a certain level of respect(or awe in some cases) and a connection is made right away.

I think I listed everyone I've met in my long, long post about '4real' friends - Chari, Katie Newton, Robynn, MaryChris, and Lissa. I did speak with beautiful Bridget on the phone!   So that makes 6....so far! We have plans to camp with the CM West Coasters this summer. :)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Are you kidding? I cannot even keep count anymore! AND I hope to increase that number this spring/summer.    I voted >10    Not bad for an isolated Catholic Homeschooler! In fact, I was thanking God just today, for giving me a wonderful place in the country, but right near I-5, so I could have a better opportunity to meet some of you!

I agree with Erica! Most of us are instant friends because of this commonality.......what a blessing God has given us, friends to pray for and to pray for us!

We had this conversation before......look up this topic:

"Camping in the west & who have YOU met??"

in the search.....and you will see the thread. It was short........but it is kind of sweet.....just since that time of July 05, so much has changed! Go read it and enjoy the walk down memory lane.

I REALLY, REALLY encourage you to start your own regional campout. We are on our 6th year. If you do and want help on planning and not avoiding all of our problems, I will gladly help anyone, via phone.

OH, the phone! If that DOES count, I can increase my numbers more!

Mary G, I will be in Denver before May is up.....let's meet up and we can add each other to our lists.

Elizabeth, in the UK, you and Kathryn are too far apart to meet???

Elizabeth, you aren't talking at a homeschool conference in June, are you?????

I have lots of friends who are 4reallearners in real life, but are not on the boards. Most of them are not as isolated as I am and have each other.....so do not get to the boards very much. Sometimes I feel like I am the lucky one!

Paula, where do you live in MN?

Well, this is my one chance at a post tonight! Goodnight and God's blessings on all of us!

Oh, wait....I better go for a pray request....

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Chari wrote:

Uh huh . And Kim has threatened me with my life if I chicken out.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Elizabeth wrote:
Chari wrote:

Uh huh . And Kim has threatened me with my life if I chicken out.

Which conference, Elizabeth?

Does anyone know of a Catholic conference that comes to the Northeast?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

MarieC and MissyC are good friends of mine, MissyC and I are in a Splendor of Love study group together, and MarieC and I belong to the same parish.

Bridget, you and I need to figure out how to meet up! You should come to our tea party!!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet