Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: School names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I really love all your names, and the meanings behind them. We chose Sacred Heart Academy, because of our devotion to the Sacred Heart and having the Sacred Heart enthroned in our family and home during our early years of homeschooling. I think dedicating our homeschool carries greater significance than we might even know or realize when we are doing so!

May those to whom we have entrusted our homeschools, and families, send an extra measure of grace and protection upon us all! "Sacred Heart of Jesus, we place all our trust in Thee", is one of our favorite aspirations!

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Veritas School

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

What an awesome choice!!

Have you read the book of Fr. Mateo's called "Jesus King of Love"?

I can't find a link to it anywhere on the interenet. The copy I have is new and it is published by Paraclete Press.

Great book...

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote soodow

Rose of Sharon School
(I am the rose of Sharon and the lily of the valleys. Solomon 2:1)

We don't use it much, but at one point needed a name... we had a beautiful Rose of Sharon at our front door at our previous house...we also have a beautiful HUGE one here at our home now. When we were looking for a house 2 years ago... I was very hesitant to say yes to this house as it was an hour from our home school community that we have been a part of for 12 years. My husband was sure and just waiting for me to jump on board and I was not so happy about that. Well I asked God to help me.
"Give me a sign.. one that I will KNOW without a doubt that this is the place for us" SO.. we looked at the house for the 3rd time... and there in full bloom was the HUGE Rose of Sharon (our school was already named). I hadn't even seen/noticed that the bush was even here. So here we are and we love it
Sue
Mom of 6
Homeschooling 4

Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Ours is Holy Family Academy.

My son picked it when he started Kindergarten.

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

We too are Our Lady of Guadalupe school. My youngest dd started to have a great devotion to Our Blessed Mother as Our Lady of Guadalupe when she was not quite three, soon after we lost our infant son.
She's nine now, and her devotion has grown, so that was her choice for our school name.

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

momtomany wrote:
We too are Our Lady of Guadalupe school.

Mary Ann, is this fate? This is the name of our school. You and I were paired up for the ornament exchange.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

Ours is St. Michael's Academy. We need all the Angelic help we can get.

God Bless
Robynn
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Ours has always been, 'Sacred Heart School' as there is a great devotion to the Sacred Heart in our family that goes back to my great grandfather - we have inherited his treasured Sacred Heart picture, which hangs in view of our schooling area.

Our school motto is, "Ad Jesum per Mariam" as we are St Louis deMonfort devotees as well. Schools usually have a motto (in Latin, interestingly enough) but an older friend who supported me when I was starting out inspired me to choose a motto, as her school was, "St Joseph's School" and their motto, "Totus Tuus" as they were a family completely devoted to the late Holy Father. I suppose a motto further expresses our spiritual mission.

In recent years my heart has been drawn to Our Lady of Guadalupe and so if I ever started a blog as a further expression of our school and liturgical life, it would be "In the folds of her starry mantle" - one day maybe!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Star of the Sea School or Stella Maris Academy if I feel a tad Classical that day.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote mavmama

Thank you for all your names! They are giving me food for thought.

Last night my dd couldn't sleep, so I gave her an "assignment" to think of names for our school. This morning she brought me a paper with her pick. It was
"St. Mother of Mary"! Sounds great, but doesn't quite make sense, huh?!? Now, to explain gently that we need to keep thinking.

Twice yesterday, I was confronted with ideas about St. Joseph and it made me think. My dh is devoted to him, and since the kids were all adopted, it fits. However, I really want to acknowledge The Blessed Mother with our name since she is my hope and strength everyday, and brought me into the church years ago.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmm....."

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

MrsKey
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote MrsKey

St. Thomas the Apostle Homeschool

St. Thomas is my husband's patron saint and the saint his mom named him after. Since my husband is the principal, prime benefactor, head of the Math department, head of maintenance, the auto shop teacher, substitute teacher and groundskeeper we figured we should name the school for his patron.

Back to Top View MrsKey's Profile Search for other posts by MrsKey

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Hedgerow Academy. It's a play on our last name, as well as a play on my love of history (how difficult it was to "take" the countrysides of Europe, due to the hedgerows...the armies literally had to fight field to field, all across Europe)...also I had noticed that hedges and hedgerows were regarded as protective in the bible....seemed to make sense to me, lol. Here I am hsing to shelter and protect my dc from a lot of things out there, til they are strong enough to handle it on their own...and are well-formed Catholics, God willing.

Not as Catholic as some, and definitely a long-winded explanation. But being in NC, and to get my educator's discount cards, lol, I needed a school name. And that was what I came up with, at the moment.

I do like "Rosa Mystica" (Mystical Rose), could definitely use some rose stickers and such for that one. Maybe if this dc is a girl (again) I'll go for that. Between my love of roses and having dds who love flowers too...

Rachel

Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Ours is Immaculate Heart College. My mums' was John Bosco Academy.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Erin wrote:
Ours is Immaculate Heart College. My mums' was John Bosco Academy.

You know Erin, I think my Mom named ours Immaculate Heart School/Academy or something along those lines. Reading your post just triggered the memory!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

When we moved to CA we registered as a private school and had to choose a school name, so now we are officially the Bonny Glen Academy!

Sandyone
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Sandyone

We don't have an official school name, but I like to joke that we'll call ourselves "The S*c*a*n*l*o*n School For Wayward Boys and Girls".

Liz, maybe something with Holy Family in it?
Back to Top View Sandyone's Profile Search for other posts by Sandyone

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl M.

We've been St. Anne Academy for many years.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Bridget wrote:
Ours is Our 'Lady of Wisdom' which is the statue in my avatar. She is my favorite. (Actually, the Latin on the statue translates to 'Our Lady Seat of Wisdom'.

I wanted our homeschool to be called Our Lady Seat of Wisdom. I have loved Mary under this title since seeing a statue of Our Lady Seat of Wisdom in a Catholic bookstore ten years ago. I was so happy to see Bridget's avatar.

The name of our homeschool was chosen by my husband. It is St. Thomas More Academy.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

When we started homeschooling in the Dark Ages, homeschoolers often had to order materials using paper with a letterhead. I didn't do that much ordering, but I did pick out a name in case I needed it. After some consideration, I picked St. Thomas Aquinas Academy as I have a particular fondness for the Dumb Ox, and one of my dd's reminded me of him.

In Christ,
Deborah
Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version