Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: marriage enrichment ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2005 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

jenngm67 wrote:
BTW, Trader Joe's has some great $3-6 bottles.

That would be "Three Buck Chuck," also known as Charles Shaw!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2005 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Yeah, for Chuck! He makes all the family parties we host very affordable!   

Marybeth

PS I think learning and trying new wines sounds very fun!
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2005 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote tovlo4801

jenngm67 wrote:
About the wine...I'll just put in a bit of info from our little perspective. Alcohol is such a touchy subject for Americans, particularly Christians, so I never know who I might be offending.

I have to admit I wasn't sure when you first mentioned the wine. I'm a little cautious with the way we approach alcohol in our family because there is alcoholism on all sides. We've always been very clear with our children that alcohol is not bad in and of itself, it's the excess of it that causes problems. But that's true of most things isn't it? I think if wine tasting evenings become a question for our kids we can easily approach it in a way that leaves a healthy attitude about alcohol intact. But you're right, it is a touchy subject, isn't it?

I love the idea of making it an experience of learning about the grapes and the places the wine is from. That would be so fun! We've never really explored wine, so thanks for all the links. That should give us a good start! I'm thinking tommorrow night we'll go for a walk, come home and open an interesting bottle of wine and play scrabble.

Do you have a good (inexpensive) wine to start us off with? Does anyone have any fun board games for date night?

(BTW my dh leaves me articles to read every morning too.    He's constantly printing out articles from the internet and passing interesting one's along to me.)
Back to Top View tovlo4801's Profile Search for other posts by tovlo4801

tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2005 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote tovlo4801

alicegunther wrote:
It sounds corny, but I never speak to my husband without telling him I love him, even if it's a two minute phone conversation. I also thank him often, even for small, routine things he does every day.   A nice, loving tone of voice goes a long way.

These are great suggestions. I'm sure I must do these things frequently, but they are not something I work on doing regularly. Just the attention it requires to remember to voice my love for my dh and to notice the nice things he does regularly will help me keep my focus on him throughout the day.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2005 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

My dh got of us each new cell phones this past week. He set it up so I can text message him from our computer. He just loves to get these messages from me each day. I think b/c he is just so happy I am using technology in a new way.

Marybeth

tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2005 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote tovlo4801

Here's a quick update on how our new and improved date night went. I went to the store and picked out a new wine to try. (After wandering the store in complete confusion for 1/2 hr, I finally broke down and asked for help. The man was extremely helpful and directed me to a good and inexpensive wine.) I then stopped to pick out a new game for dh and I to play. I went to Games by James first and was COMPLETELY overwhelmed. I decided we'd just play the Battleship game my dh had picked up at a garage sale and couldn't get our sons to play with him. But then on my way home I thought I'd stop at Target to see what they had there. I figured the selection wouldn't be quite so overwhelming. I was right. I managed to pick out the Cranium game, Hoopla.

So after the kids were in bed we pulled out the game, opened the wine and had a great time. The game is like Pictionary, Charades and a few other games rolled into one and you play together against a timer. After playing for a while we went on-line and dug around the website of the wine we chose and finally cuddled with some popcorn to watch my dh's favorite news show before he had to leave for adoration. All in all it was a wonderful evening. Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Also, I just have to share that I discovered I might not tell my dh I love him and appreciate the nice things he does around here quite as often as I thought I did.    Friday evening I tried to make sure I told him that I loved him everytime I talked to him and also thanked him for every nice thing I noticed him doing. At first he just looked at me skeptically, but eventually he said, "Am I dying or something?"    Guess I'm going to have to slowly work up the percentage of nice comments so I don't put him into shock!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2005 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

tovlo4801 wrote:

Also, I just have to share that I discovered I might not tell my dh I love him and appreciate the nice things he does around here quite as often as I thought I did.    Friday evening I tried to make sure I told him that I loved him everytime I talked to him and also thanked him for every nice thing I noticed him doing. At first he just looked at me skeptically, but eventually he said, "Am I dying or something?"    Guess I'm going to have to slowly work up the percentage of nice comments so I don't put him into shock!

Richelle! This is the best laugh I've had all week!!! Maybe all month!

I am so glad your "date night" went well!

Love, Alice

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2005 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Richelle,

My husband and I were laughing so hard. Glad to hear you had a great night. Hope the next date is wonderful too!

Marybeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version