Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Last Child in the Woods--book study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 13 2005 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Last Child in the Tree (or is it Gollum?)--this tree is over 30' high:

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Oh my, MacBeth! Is that Trip?

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Yes. He is my climber. I have seen him toss off his shoes and climb trees with no branches. Now, if only we had palms and banana trees around... .

The pine is not much of a challenge for him, but to get to the top was his goal. Usually, I can't look (a friend took the photo).

Remember, this is the kid who got yelled at by the power authority guy when he was 6 for being in a dogwood tree, not 5 feet from the ground. I imagine that guy would be speechless if he saw Trip now.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

cathhomeschool wrote:
Oh my, MacBeth! Is that Trip?

Hey, I know that tree!!!!   

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Nicholas is our climber, and regularly scales branchless trees. (He doesn't have much to work with in the "branched" department in our yard.) But if he went that high in a tree, I'd have to have someone else take the picture too!

He'd certainly think the picture of Trip neat -- not sure I should show him, though!   

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 14 2005 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

cathhomeschool wrote:
Nicholas is our climber, and regularly scales branchless trees. He'd certainly think the picture of Trip neat -- not sure I should show him, though!   

This never ceases to amaze me. I'd fall after one feeble attempt.

On the idea of showing Nicholas, please know that Trip has a small fan-club of smaller boys who are overly impressed by his abilities. These boys regularly tell tales of Trip's adventures and feats to horrified and often disbelieving fathers, and to the chagrin of the mamas who are chided by the fathers for exposing the youngsters to hikes with such a troublemaker. . So, if Tim has not seen the photo, you might want to let him see it firts...though I have a feeling that Tim, the great wall climber himself, will understand.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2005 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote julia s.

MacBeth,
This thread reminds me of the time when my youngest son was about a year old and my oldest was 5 years old. I was in the kitchen trying to get dinner ready and my youngest was crying because he was hungry too, and it just seemed like everything was going wrong at the same time. So when Michael, my oldest, came into the kitchen saying he threw his Power Rangers up in the tree and could he please climb the tree and go get them I agreed (would have probably agreed to anything at that moment).

I then proceeded to settle the baby and get the dinner under control. About ten minutes later I got to thinking what I agreed to and in a bit of a panic looked out in the back yard to see Michael swaying at the top of our fairly large pine tree ... grinning ear to ear. He looked so happy and accomplished, something that I hadn't seen on him for awhile that year, that I realized it must have been God teaching me to let him grow a little and trust him and God more.

I wish I had the presence of mind to take his picture then (or the other billions of time he climbed that tree that year before we moved). But your picture of Trip really brought it all back for me!

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 19 2005 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

MacBeth wrote:
So, if Tim has not seen the photo, you might want to let him see it first...though I have a feeling that Tim, the great wall climber himself, will understand.

LOL! I'd forgotten about that day! You hit the nail right on the head. I showed Tim, Nicholas and Zachary, and they were all impressed and didn't find it at all shocking. Nicholas believes that climb to be beyond his abilities, but I'm sure it will encourage him to push to new heights in our trees. I was quite the climber when I was young too, so I can't exactly reprimand, but I can worry and wonder why they have to take after me!   

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wow, this is an old thread. As this book was mentioned in this thread I borrowed it. I'm currently half way through and really enjoying it.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

atara
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 11 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote atara

Just wanted add that I picked this up from the library today! It looks like a great book!
Back to Top View atara's Profile Search for other posts by atara

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version