Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Last Child in the Woods--book study Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 29 2005 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Extremely funny article, Jenn, although the author's childhood sounds a lot more boring than mine was! I loved the cartoon alongside the article--my girls are going to laugh out loud when they see it.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2005 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That was my husband's reaction -- painted his childhood to a "T".

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2005 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

What a hoot.

Hey,we made one of those mud pools, too! And ant bed wars!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 29 2005 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Kelly wrote:
Hey,we made one of those mud pools, too!

So did I! In inner city Boston! My mom said "No" for days, and I persisted, and finally, I dug the hole and fiiled it with water. It took me a long time to figure out why I did not have a beautiful pool full of clear blue water.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2005 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Oh I'm still trying to wipe the tears out of my eyes.....I've gotta confess though, I never thought of digging a pool. I must have gotten my fill of water from sitting in front of Gilligan's Island and McHale's Navy . It's so funny, my dh and I were trying to remember the lyrics to Gilligan's theme song and the kids were sitting around rolling their eyes. We DID climb the trees though.
God bless,
Gwen in Denver
Back to Top View momwise's Profile Search for other posts by momwise

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2005 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

The mate was a mighty sailin' man
The skipper brave and true
Five passengers set sail that night
For a three hour cruise...
(A three hour cruise...)

The weather started getting rough
The tiny ship was tossed
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The Minnow would be lost...
(The Minnow would be lost...)

The ship set ground on the shore of this
Uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan...
The Skipper too,
The Millionaire
And his wife
The Movie Stahrrrr
The Professor and Mary Ann
Here! On Gilligan's Isle!

PS I can't quite remember the intro...was it "I'll tell you a tale of some castaways...something something...on board this tiny ship (on board this tiny ship...)"?

Was this OUR Charlotte Mason Education growing up, you suppose??? Our "poetry" memorization? BTW "McHales Navy" was great, too...and of course, there was always "My Favorite Martian"!

Kelly in FL

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2005 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Kelly wrote:
Was this OUR Charlotte Mason Education growing up, you suppose??? Our "poetry" memorization?

We are educated by our intimacies.   

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2005 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

alicegunther wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Was this OUR Charlotte Mason Education growing up, you suppose??? Our "poetry" memorization?

We are educated by our intimacies.   

Or, to quote that esteemed Chinese lady, Madame How... Did a fairy tell us???

Kelly in FL (still laughing over your description of the Madame How book!)

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

I horrified by the violence towards children we hear about. Safety vs. allowing the children to have some independence. Is there more violence against children or do we just hear more about it in our media-ized world. This comes up more and more for me as Brigid expands the perimeters of her play area beyond the yard and within-sight fields.
As children my siblings and I ran free in our Long Island neighborhoods, Connecticut woods, and Western NY fields. Were we just lucky to be safe? Did we have the protection of safety in numbers by running with siblings and friends?
I just do not know the answers to these questions and I struggle.

We live in a more rural area but we have neighbors along the road. Brigid has friends 1 and 2 miles down the road. Generally she meets the one friend halfway-they call eachother as they leave and let us know when they arrive at the destination house. Is this enough accountability? I love the idea that she hops on her bike or skips to meet her friend. I remember the freedom and joy of riding to my own friends' houses.Is this safe enough? The other girl's mother is not comfortable with this amount of freedom and drives or walks with her daughter.I understand her worry and actions.

Presently the girls have a campsite set up in the orchard. Completely girl initiated. Laurea mowed a path to the site, which is beyond the crest of the hill. We cannot see to that side of the orchard, but with the trees and long grass they have a very private spot. They have the fireplace , 2 tents , covered firewood, lanterns and a clothesline. They have slept out for 2 nights and loved it. Yesterday morning they took a hike after a breakfast of crumbly Poptarts. ( I am not getting involved in too much of the planning of this adventure--if they want to add warm food to their experience I can assist, but I am really trying to stay as a cheerleader and happy observer)
One summer my friend and I lived in a blanket over a clothesline tent in our side yard. This is one of my fondest summer memories and I want Brigid to have that thrill of this experience.

So obviously we have decided that this is safe enough, but I do worry . Rick is the first to check on them in the morning. He arrived this morning before they were up and started their campfire

This parenting is not for the faint of heart
Viv

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

lilac hill wrote:
Presently the girls have a campsite set up in the orchard. Completely girl initiated. Laurea mowed a path to the site, which is beyond the crest of the hill. We cannot see to that side of the orchard, but with the trees and long grass they have a very private spot. They have the fireplace , 2 tents , covered firewood, lanterns and a clothesline. They have slept out for 2 nights and loved it. Yesterday morning they took a hike after a breakfast of crumbly Poptarts. ( I am not getting involved in too much of the planning of this adventure--if they want to add warm food to their experience I can assist, but I am really trying to stay as a cheerleader and happy observer)
One summer my friend and I lived in a blanket over a clothesline tent in our side yard. This is one of my fondest summer memories and I want Brigid to have that thrill of this experience.
Viv

Viv, this sounds like so much fun! What a great way for the girls to experience some independence and adventure! Your children certainly will not suffer from "Nature Deficit Disorder" spending the Summer like this.

Time to read "Swallows and Amazons"!

Cottage Blessings

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Rick has ben reading The Swallows to Brigid for a few years. They are reading The Coot Club now.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

lilac hill wrote:
Rick has ben reading The Swallows to Brigid for a few years. They are reading The Coot Club now.

Oh, how perfect! There is nothing like living out some of the adventures from a book through active play. I remember spending entire summers "in character" as Laura Ingalls. This is the type of thing that makes such a deep impression on children.

Now all you need is a sailboat and an island and you'll be all set!

Cottage Blessings

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

SAILBOATS!
Alice you have no idea.
I live in central PA and Rick's hobby is sailing and building boats. We have 4 boat trailers, 2 16-18'day sailers (1 is a Sharpy design), a sun fish, a lapstraked dinghy with sailing rig, 4 "plastic" kayaks, 2 wooden kayaks,a 16'electric skiff with a market umbrella for motoring around and a 20'Nimble trailerable sailboat! He built all but the plastic and only rebuilt the Nimble.
The Swallows sail talk means something here since Rick's boats are simply rigged and easily managed, as Arthur Ransome books discuss.
BTW there is another boat on the form now.

Viv

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 30 2005 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

lilac hill wrote:
SAILBOATS!
Alice you have no idea.
I live in central PA and Rick's hobby is sailing and building boats. BTW there is another boat on the form now.
Viv
And Rick does beautiful work...my kids were drooling!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

lilac hill wrote:
SAILBOATS!
Alice you have no idea.
I live in central PA and Rick's hobby is sailing and building boats. We have 4 boat trailers, 2 16-18'day sailers (1 is a Sharpy design), a sun fish, a lapstraked dinghy with sailing rig, 4 "plastic" kayaks, 2 wooden kayaks,a 16'electric skiff with a market umbrella for motoring around and a 20'Nimble trailerable sailboat! He built all but the plastic and only rebuilt the Nimble.
The Swallows sail talk means something here since Rick's boats are simply rigged and easily managed, as Arthur Ransome books discuss.
BTW there is another boat on the form now.

Viv

Oh, I love this! You are truly living the Arthur Ransome life! Now if only I lived next door to you so that my children could get in on this!!!

Cottage Blessings

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

The Arthur Ransome life without much water!
Central PA has many streams and a few small lakes. Most of the lakes have high hills around them so their winds are shify and unpredictable. Rick travels to the Chesapeake in the spring and fall (No wind in the summer) and dreams about the waterways of England, New England, and the Caribbean.

BTW, Brigid thinks she is most like Roger, because she likes to eat, and Susan because she can start a fire.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 09 2005 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

MacBeth wrote:
2. A dissapearing line between machines, humans and other animals.
I want to pull the conversation back to his points again, from chapter 2......

What do you all think about this asserion? I am not eve sure I know what he is on about here (maybe someone without pre-summer brain-fry can help me out here ).

Are we losing connection to nature becuase we are no different from animals or machines (or because many people percieve things that way)?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 09 2005 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I have been thinking about how growing our own food makes the kids feel differently about it. The kids will always eat what we grow (often before it gets two inches from the vine!), and if I make my own bread, none ever goes to waste. I'm begining to think (for the first time, perhaps) that this is an imperative connection to nature, and reality in general, which we have lost as a society. Could this be more important that we all realize...or is MacBeth just slow to come to the conclusion?

I think I'm going to head to the beach and ponder this more!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

One last thing...is anyone still waiting for the book? I'd like to really pick it apart with lots of participation when we are all set.

I am especially looking forward to discussing "risk" which is a locally hot topic lately!!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2005 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

I have been slowly reading through the first few chapters of the book.
I have found this book so sad for modern children.
With living in a semi-rural area and surrounding ourselves with outside-loving families, the author's world seems foreign.
We are not back to the landers or overly fanatical about outside play but I find myself parrotting my mother's word,"Go outside and play,", "Find a tree to climb," and "Go sit in the shade." I choose an outside place mysself to rest in the heat of the afternoon.
Lately, with the heat and humidity, my favorite afternoon reading hide out is in a corner of the period garden.From this hidden spot I can hear the comings and going of the girls and their friends and still have bugs and birds all around. When the girls "issues" beome unresolvable or they want some rest, they seek me out.
Where will my neices, nephews, grandchildren, and my children's peers get their share of nature time

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version