Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Modesty in shoes, makeup, hair, pjs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2006 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

BTW, Michele:

Hijack away, especially if it means you're telling us that that baby is on its way!

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2006 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

I am new to all this...I'm trying my hand at the skirt wearing thing, my husband really likes it but I'm struggling big time. I'm home alone with my girls all day today so I'm in jeans and t-shirt. I really struggle with physical comfort in skirts and the fact that there's really not much money there for me to make a major switch (my DH works for the Church, he's a youth minister), and lastly, I'm 23, somewhat fashion-conscious, and have a hard time finding things that are pretty and not frumpy.
Anyway, I like cute shoes. But, I'm a mom (and a newly pregnant one at that!) so of course the practicality of my shoes are important. But I still like really cute ones.
I hate nightgowns. I can't stand for my legs to touch (that's one of my comfort "issues" with skirts), especially in the night. I sleep in PJ pants most of the time. Night gowns are pretty though! I wish I liked them, lol.
Makeup...I wear quite a bit, though I don't think it's obvious, as I have learned how to do it in a way that is attractive, but subtle. I wear powder foundation, blush, eyeliner, very light eyeshadow (my eyelids are so dark..it's strange), mascara, and lipstick if I'm going out, a light gloss if I'm home. My husband preferes the "made up" version of me, he doesn't have to say it in so many words though. I feel like I should feel good about myself and be presentable to the world, and that is my main way of doing so.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2006 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Andrea! I didn't realize you were pregnant! Wonderful! Congratulations! I had my 3rd at 23!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2006 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Thank you, Lisa.    We just found out a couple weeks ago... Yeah...I still have to pinch myself sometimes to accept that I am ONLY 23 with 2 kids and a baby on the way. lol

www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2006 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Try 31 with 8! (hopefully you will one day! :))

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2006 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

lol I'm sure I will...at this rate we're looking at...18 by the time I'm 50 Hahahaha

www.hiswillmypeace.com

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2006 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Hi Andrea:

anniemm wrote:
I really struggle with physical comfort in skirts and the fact that there's really not much money there for me to make a major switch ... somewhat fashion-conscious, and have a hard time finding things that are pretty and not frumpy.

Are you calling us elderly folks frumpy?!? Actually, I wanted to chime in on the fact that you're fashion conscious and don't have a whole heap of money to spend on clothes because on the other fashion thread, ~ you know the one with thousands of posts? yeah, that one ~ we are discussing how really cheaply we can get new clothing by shopping at thrift stores and you would be surprised at what you can find there. In style, out of style, old and frumpy, really hip, you name it, you can find it. It is a slow and laborious process, but it can be fruitful.

anniemm wrote:
I can't stand for my legs to touch (that's one of my comfort "issues" with skirts),

Me either. That's why I wear leggings or cotton tights with my skirts. These things I buy new and I do buy high end because theyre high quality, they're not going to bunch or do strange things, and they last for *years.*

When I was 22, I was working fulltime but was *very* irresponsible in other ways. Late in that year I met my husband, who completely turned my life around. By the time I was 23, I started to change for the better, but was still nowhere NEAR having almost 3 kids! Yikes! God bless you!

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2006 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

anniemm wrote:
I can't stand for my legs to touch (that's one of my comfort "issues" with skirts),

Me either. That's why I wear leggings or cotton tights with my skirts. These things I buy new and I do buy high end because theyre high quality, they're not going to bunch or do strange things, and they last for *years.* [/QUOTE]

Thanks for mentioning that, the other thread with thousands of posts is sooo intimidating to me, this is very new thinking for me, plus I can't sit around and read all night lol. Anyway, do you have any suggestions as to what leggings/tights are really good? I'm pregnant now..and slowing (yet too quickly with this third pregnancy!) growing, tights just sound miserable, but necessary as it is cold now. What about in the summer? I live in Houston, it's hot!
Thank you for your encouragement! I'll look at the other thread...and maybe I will go check out a thrift shop sometime!

www.hiswillmypeace.com

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

anniemm wrote:
Anyway, do you have any suggestions as to what leggings/tights are really good? What about in the summer? I live in Houston, it's hot!

I especially like hanna andersson knit tights. I shed tights in the latter part of my pregnancy, but this is OK for you since it'll be summer. The leggings I have are from Land's End. One pair I purchased through them in a medium fit me through pregnancy. I used it so much I trashed the pair! The other pair fits me now.

In summer, I wear bike shorts under my skirts and go bare-legged the rest of the way (since the skirts are long, they'll cover everything). Maybe this isn't an accepted practice on this board, I don't know. But it sure is comfy.

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Oh yeah, bike shorts. I should have thought of that! Good idea...plus they're slippery so the skirts won't cling. I guess skirts in the summer would actually be better...I always wore jeans in the summer after having babies, my strech marks are so embarassing that I couldn't bear to wear shorts.
Do you have any problems with the leggings from Land's End clinging to your skirts? I have mostly cotton skirts (or some blend thereof), and some certain tights tend to cling. I guess the solution is a slip? I don't even know where to get a slip...I haven't worn one since probably kindergarten!

www.hiswillmypeace.com

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Tina P. wrote:

One pair I purchased through Lands' End in a medium fit me through pregnancy. I used it so much I trashed the pair! The other pair fits me now.

So, if you wore a MEDIUM all the way through pregnancy, what size would you wear in these regularily? I guess I'm wondering "how many sizes bigger" would you buy these to fit through pregnancy? ie: if you wear a small non-preg, buy a large for maternity wear.

I don't feel like my leggings cling to my skirts....maybe b/c leggings are usually part lycra as opposed to being 100% cotton???? So, maybe make sure that they do have some lycra in them?? Just a thought.

And, the bike shorts under the skirts in the summer....that's sort of a modified "bloomer" concept!!! Easier to find bike shorts these days than bloomers!

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls
Gladdest Hours
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

suzgallus wrote:
Tina P. wrote:

One pair I purchased through Lands' End in a medium fit me through pregnancy. I used it so much I trashed the pair! The other pair fits me now.

So, if you wore a MEDIUM all the way through pregnancy, what size would you wear in these regularily?

That's what's strange. I bought two medium pairs when I was *not* pregnant. One fits me now, the other fit me all the way through pregnancy. So size is very relative with Land's End.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version