Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Cay Gibson wrote:

Yes, how about shirts?
I've been meaning to ask Bridget where she found her elbow-length shirts (and I saw Suzanne had one as well). I prefer three-quarter length sleeves. I also prefer tunic style shirts that won't shrink and crawl up my waistline.

Christopher and Banks. They had many different colors.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bridget wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:

Yes, how about shirts?
I've been meaning to ask Bridget where she found her elbow-length shirts (and I saw Suzanne had one as well). I prefer three-quarter length sleeves. I also prefer tunic style shirts that won't shrink and crawl up my waistline.

Christopher and Banks. They had many different colors.

Tunic shirts are too long for me and hit me wrong. Where do petite women find their shirts. C&B were so long in sleeves and length for me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Okay, you ladies are talking me into making a few changes. I'm looking to ease into this whole dressing with more femininity. SO, this winter, as I work on reaching a better weight, I'll stop wearing jeans day in/day out. I'll probably still wear pants, but nicer ones. I also checked the store locator and found a Christopher and Banks in the town where I usually shop. Who knows, once I take a look in there, I just might go over the edge and get some skirts!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jenn,

I buy my tunics in petite sizees at Sears (Lands End).

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Cay Gibson wrote:
I avoid dresses because of my belly. I don't like looking pregnant when I'm not pregnant. When I am pregnant I absolutely LOVE it.

Oh, this is me to a T! I was so happy to get into maternity clothes this time! I was so tired of being asked when the baby was due, and I wasn't even pregnant.   
I had told my husband a few months ago that I'd better get skinny or get pregnant I'm glad it was the latter
This thread has been very interesting to me. I don't know if I'm ready to make "the leap" yet, but it's given me a lot of food for thought. It's especially encouraging because I realize that you ladies are all living life, and not just sitting on the sidelines looking so "dainty" in your skirts. Thanks for the encouragement!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

kingvozzo wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:
I avoid dresses because of my belly. I don't like looking pregnant when I'm not pregnant. When I am pregnant I absolutely LOVE it.

Oh, this is me to a T! I was so happy to get into maternity clothes this time! I was so tired of being asked when the baby was due, and I wasn't even pregnant.   
I had told my husband a few months ago that I'd better get skinny or get pregnant I'm glad it was the latter
This thread has been very interesting to me. I don't know if I'm ready to make "the leap" yet, but it's given me a lot of food for thought. It's especially encouraging because I realize that you ladies are all living life, and not just sitting on the sidelines looking so "dainty" in your skirts. Thanks for the encouragement!

Hurray Noreen and Nancy! Noreen, the same thing happened to me 4 DAYS after I had my first baby. AND HE WAS WITH ME! I could've slapped the lady (just goes to show how Christian I am, eh?), but I just smiled and said, "I just had this baby!" It takes me a long time to shed the extra baby weight.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Just wanted to let you all know that-- nine pages later--I have a pair of black mid-calf boots from Lands End (I ordered a half size up and an orthotic and they're perfect) and I have some tights and I ordered
these long undies.

It's pretty funny that we've had such a great conversation about BOOTS! And BTW, I personally know of at least three anonymous gifts given to three different people as a result of this thread. You are an amazing group of women!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I missed out on the black mid-calf boots from Lands End. They no longer seem to have them in black! On an up note, it is interesting that so many of us seem to like similar footwear.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JennGM wrote:
suzgallus wrote:
Cay and Jenn (and all those searching for the perfect undergarment)

Have you seen this company, Decent Exposures?

They sell the "un-bra" which I tried several years ago, on the recommendation from my then La Leche League leader.   

I haven't seen this, thanks. In the pictures it doesn't look like they provide much support??

They provide GREAT support, much more than bras in the stores. The women who started the company are bigger women who were frustrated with the lack of commfortable, supportive bras on the market, so they started designing their own.

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3,9months
Gladdest Hours
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Christine wrote:
I missed out on the black mid-calf boots from Lands End. They no longer seem to have them in black! On an up note, it is interesting that so many of us seem to like similar footwear.

Keep trying, Christine. They didn't have mine at first either. Hmmm...wonder what kind of impact we're having on the market? They no longer have the Eddie Bauer skirt linked above.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Cay Gibson wrote:

I already have a question.

You mention that you love gored skirts because they are attractive and slimming.

What other skirts are good for giving a "slimming" appearance?

IMHO....here are a couple thoughts for the “tummy” issue:

What about jumpers and dresses – either with an empire waist (right under the bustline) or with no waist at all. I have found several A-line jumpers in various places (thrift stores included) that I think are very attractive and slimming. These tend to be a more “straight” style, but I’ve found A-line also. I have a few examples that I will post on my blog …I don’t wear them as much now because of the nursing. But, I LOVE them. They look great on my mom too….and she has a tummy. I have more of a hip problem, but she has a tummy, and I think she looks great in these. So, dresses and jumpers should be fine for you, they should just be big enough and the right style…..(ie: no waistline)

With skirts….don’t be afraid to wear a bigger size. If you think your tummy sticks out too much on a certain skirt, try a bigger size. You just don’t want the protruding tummy “sticking out” but if fabric is “flowing over” the tummy then that’s a different story. (not sure if this is making sense).

Go here to see the different cuts for skirts. I reference this only because I think line-drawings are more helpful to SEE the cut of a garment than a photo.

I like the A-line and full skirts (from this webiste)...for mobility. But, if you're not concerned about scrubbing and working and moving in them, look at the straighter skirts with a long shirt over them...VERY slimming.

I would also second the “tunic-style-shirt” for this body style. Wherever the shirt ends (the bottom of it) THAT’s where the eye goes. Plus, USUALLY women with tummies have smaller hips and butt….so you can bring attention to your hipline, instead of to your waistline, which is where your tummy sticks out.   

Empire-shirts are in-style now (I’m not sure exactly what they’re called) but they are tighter at the bust with a seam under the bust and then flowing underneath. They look like maternity shirts, if you ask me, but it’s ALL THE RAGE and very IN STYLE now….and it will cover up the tummy, so WHY NOT???? How cute…..a khaki A-line skirt with a darker, flowing, long, empire shirt…..?????

Longer vests, sweaters, button down shirts worn open can all detract from the tummy.

Sorry this is so long , maybe I should've PM'd this. Oh well....why not go for TEN PAGES??

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3,9 months
Gladdest Hours
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

I just wanted to express my thanks for all of these "modest and feminine" threads. All of these positive comments are making me re-think the whole question of dressing in a more feminine fashion. It is true that you can do almost anything in a skirt. (I remember 20 years ago when I was in Mexico in the rural areas that almost all the women and girls wore dresses - even working in the fields! My sister and I stuck out by wearing pants!)

So thank you for letting me "listen in". You all are helping me feel much better about being a woman!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I just ordered these.
I can't wait to get them. I hope to get some boots for Christmas.

God bless. Ruth

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Here's a question: for those of you who buy silk underwear, do you let the underwear peek out (with socks on, of course) from under your skirt as if it was tights? I like the pair that Ruth linked above, but I was thinking that if I ordered it in a mocha color, I could let it show a bit under khaki/tan skirts ... ? Am I way off base? And one more question about silks ... don't you sweat in them? Ugh! I hate to even think of it!

Also wanted to thank our newest Fasion Consultant, Suzanne!

God bless,

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

OK, I haven't had a chance to read all 9 pages of this thread. I'm going to print it out and read through it tonight. In the meantime, can someone please tell me how you can pull off long skirts during pregnancy without looking like a tent? (Obviously I need to be working on the vanity thing, huh?) This is my 5th pregnancy and we were told after the 4th that we wouldn't be able to have any more. I donated ALL of my maternity clothes. Thank God we were blessed with #5, but I had to start from square 1 with maternity clothes and they are just awful! Everything is tight and if I tried to pull off a knit maternity shirt with a long shirt I think with today's maternity fashions it would be anything but modest. I found some button down oxford style shirts from Gap Maternity that I am pretty much living in. I've been wearing them with jeans mostly. Does anyone know of a good source for long maternity skirts?

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

kjohnson wrote:
OK, I haven't had a chance to read all 9 pages of this thread. I'm going to print it out and read through it tonight. In the meantime, can someone please tell me how you can pull off long skirts during pregnancy without looking like a tent? (Obviously I need to be working on the vanity thing, huh?) This is my 5th pregnancy and we were told after the 4th that we wouldn't be able to have any more. I donated ALL of my maternity clothes. Thank God we were blessed with #5, but I had to start from square 1 with maternity clothes and they are just awful! Everything is tight and if I tried to pull off a knit maternity shirt with a long shirt I think with today's maternity fashions it would be anything but modest. I found some button down oxford style shirts from Gap Maternity that I am pretty much living in. I've been wearing them with jeans mostly. Does anyone know of a good source for long maternity skirts?

As with my previous pregnancies, I have been wearing non-maternity elastic waist skirts and dresses that I purchased during my first few pregnancies. The latter makes me think that you might be able to find decent used maternity dresses. I prefer wearing the dresses, as they look better than the skirts. However, the skirts are better for doctor's appointments. I also have one pair of maternity pants that I use for doctor's appointments.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Has everyone seen the daily skirt wearing posts? (I linked them from my blog.)

Elizabeth wrote:
I'll schedule it into the 2007 Fairs. And you can be our hostess Helen.

If anyone else makes any daily skirt wearing posts, would you let me know? I can begin collecting the links.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Cay Gibson wrote:

Yes, how about shirts?
I've been meaning to ask Bridget where she found her elbow-length shirts (and I saw Suzanne had one as well). I prefer three-quarter length sleeves.

I thought Amy had a good blog post about wearing three quarter sleeves.

I had never put the idea of simplicity together with this whole modesty idea. It does simplify your wardrobe and maintenance by wearing skirts and three quarter or full length sleeves all year.

(This might be another thread.)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Several of you have mentioned wearing leg warmers. Where have you bought them or do you simply make your own? I'm thinking it would make a great Knifty Knitter project for my daughter.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Helen wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:

Yes, how about shirts?
I've been meaning to ask Bridget where she found her elbow-length shirts (and I saw Suzanne had one as well). I prefer three-quarter length sleeves.

I thought Amy had a good blog post about wearing three quarter sleeves.

I had never put the idea of simplicity together with this whole modesty idea. It does simplify your wardrobe and maintenance by wearing skirts and three quarter or full length sleeves all year.

(This might be another thread.)

Skip right over this.
You will be redirected in 2 seconds ...
This post is now invisible...

Are these words working?
Can I delete this?

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version