Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Cay and Jenn (and all those searching for the perfect undergarment)

Have you seen this company, Decent Exposures?

They sell the "un-bra" which I tried several years ago, on the recommendation from my then La Leche League leader. I haven't bought another bra since then. They are not cheap, but I have averaged 1/year. So, I guess $40/year for a comfortable, great-fitting bra is worth it. It's the only bra I feel comfortable wearing a bit more clingy clothing with.

Several of my friends have the above-mentioned-issue, and they have been pleased with these (they get a lined or velour). They are great for nursing too. The women who work there are VERY knowledgable and helpful, and they have a VERY generous return policy and good information to help get the right fit. I'm in Seattle, so I just go in for a fitting, but that is not the case with MOST of their customers.

They look weird....like a sports bra, but they are MUCH MORE than your average sports bra....these women have this down to a science: loopers in the front, the right size elastic, the fabric choices, etc.    

I also started a Week in Winter Skirtson my blog, following Bridget's idea.

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3, 9 months
Gladdest Hours
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Well, Cay. I'm wearing a skirt right now with a simple cotton shirt. And there is an enormous trail of spit up down the back of my shirt and then down my skirt to the hips, culminating in a puddle of the stuff on the chair. There is no danger of my children mistaking me for a refined elegant lady who is afraid to get dirty.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Yes, me too....I just took inventory ....oatmeal on the front of my skirt, flour on my stomach (shirt) and spit up on my shoulder and vest.    Not to mention the several evergreen needles I find all over my clothing throughout the day....I'm sure there are a couple SOMEWHERE on me right now!

Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3,9 months
Gladdest Hours
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

SeaStar wrote:
Cheryl-

You look great in all the pictures, but the skirts make you look- well- elegant! no other word for it.

What about having a Carnival of Skirts? That would be fun and inspirational...

Not a bad idea, or even perhaps a "Loveliness of Femininity" fair? Showing ways to be more feminine could be really interesting and inspiring!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

So how about those of us who are tiny, I'm 5'3", with a size 34 D bra, and i'm not nursing at the moment. I weaned my 4 year old in Feb. Every sweater I wear looks tight, but since I have a small frame, getting anything large looks huge on me.

God bless. Ruth

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

MicheleQ wrote:

perhaps a "Loveliness of Femininity" fair? Showing ways to be more feminine could be really interesting and inspiring!

I second this idea.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

burneweb wrote:
So how about those of us who are tiny, I'm 5'3", with a size 34 D bra, and i'm not nursing at the moment. I weaned my 4 year old in Feb. Every sweater I wear looks tight, but since I have a small frame, getting anything large looks huge on me.

God bless. Ruth

Well Ruth, I'm also 5'3 and 3/4" and a 34dd and will nurse for at least another 6-8months, and my bust size will not change much. I just try to wear sweaters and blouses that are not quite so tight, ribbed knits seem to be most flattering than a flat stitch or cotton knit materials. It's important to remember that God gave you the body you're in and the point is not to hide away, just not to draw obvious attention. Sometimes it may be impossible, but it's worth the try.
God Bless!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Cheryl wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:

perhaps a "Loveliness of Femininity" fair? Showing ways to be more feminine could be really interesting and inspiring!

I second this idea.

I'm willing to host...if you all want to do this.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Helen wrote:
Cheryl wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:

I second this idea.

I'm willing to host...if you all want to do this.

I'll schedule it into the 2007 Fairs. And you can be our hostess Helen.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Cay Gibson wrote:

Speaking of which, if you live in the boondocks I don't guess you get out often in public. So does it really matter what one wears?

I would think it's perfectly okay to wear jeans to go out in the snow with the children and wear around the house. Unless, of course, you're setting an example for your children. Which raises other questions.

Do the ones mainly wearing skirts go "out" much (as in public outtings) and only wear skirts when they make trips to town? or do you wear them even at home as an example to your children regarding modesty and femininity? or do you wear them all the time as a personal conviction?

I started wearing only skirts because I thought they were modest as well as feminine. I wanted to be an example to my daughters & didn't even realize the effect it would have on my sons & dh.

We go out once-twice/week at the most. One thing I love about always wearing skirts is that when someone stops by - a delivery person or repairman, for example -I'm never worried that I look frumpy or unkempt. Also, I find that men, especially, act very respectfully towards a woman in a skirt. The other nice thing is that on the days we do go out I'm always "prepared" - i.e. I don't have to change my clothes to put on something nicer as I'm already wearing my nice clothes.

Keep the questions coming Cay!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

BrendaPeter wrote:
I started wearing only skirts because I thought they were modest as well as feminine. I wanted to be an example to my daughters & didn't even realize the effect it would have on my sons & dh.

We go out once-twice/week at the most. One thing I love about always wearing skirts is that when someone stops by - a delivery person or repairman, for example -I'm never worried that I look frumpy or unkempt. Also, I find that men, especially, act very respectfully towards a woman in a skirt. The other nice thing is that on the days we do go out I'm always "prepared" - i.e. I don't have to change my clothes to put on something nicer as I'm already wearing my nice clothes.

Keep the questions coming Cay!

Brenda,
These are great answers. Thank you.
I was worried I might be offending those who choose skirts, etc. AAnd I don't mean to. Really.

I'm really just searching for answers and I have lots of questions. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer them.

Helen, I look forward to the Fair.   

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

suzgallus wrote:

I also started a Week in Winter Skirtson my blog, following Bridget's idea.

Suzanne in WA

Oh, good!    I love these.   

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Bridget wrote:
"Modesty is what keeps you from being an occasion of sin to others when you are young and fit, and from making a spectacle of yourself when you're not."

Cay, This is why I started wearing skirts. I looked around one day and realized there were a whole lot of women making spectacles of themselves and I was one of them.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Suzanne,
I already have a question.

You mention that you love gored skirts because they are attractive and slimming.

I avoid dresses because of my belly. I don't like looking pregnant when I'm not pregnant. When I am pregnant I absolutely LOVE it.

What other skirts are good for giving a "slimming" appearance?

Loved your pictures, btw. You are lovely.

mom to 5

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Angel wrote:

I'm also glad to hear the questions (and answers) about wearing skirts out in the boondocks. We live on 15 acres in the Great White North (otherwise known as Upstate New York), and we have either snow or mud about 9 months of the year. So the warmth thing is a big deal here; in fact, many of the moms I know who wear skirts during the warmer months I've noticed wearing pants now. (Although today was nice -- 50 degrees! Whoo!) Plus, there's walking through the muck to haul compost to the compost heap. (I have to say, Bridget, your compost heap is very nice! )

Not quite in the boondocks here in central PA but I do have barn chores that can get pretty dirty.

For most of the morning barn feedings, garden weeding , pruning and planting I can get by with an apron (working on sewing some old fashioned ones that go around the back more to protect from jumping goats) and wellies to protect my clothes--skirts included. Tights, boots, long underwear all help with the warmth issue.
I wear skirts and wear them about half the time.
For the monthly barn and chicken coop muck out,fencing the bramble infested hill, deep snowblowing the driveway, and helping buid the new shed, my Carhart overalls work well.
Anything else from my closet would be torn to shreds or just too filthy. Although they are hardly "feminine" , I feel feminine in the Carharts because I am caring for my home, barn and animals that provide us with fiber, food, and healthy land management.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Elizabeth wrote:
These are mid calf, too

I bought these in black a few months ago. They are sooooo comfortable! I'm very happy with them and they look really nice with denim.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

I've so enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for everyone's contributions. Thanks also to the bloggers who've posted their pictures....so helpful to see someone else's style.

I began wearing mostly skirts two years ago. I much prefer skirts but sometimes wear pants for various reasons but mostly only at home. I, too, feel "wrong" in pants (I have jeans and running pants).

BrendaPeter wrote:
I started wearing only skirts because I thought they were modest as well as feminine. I wanted to be an example to my daughters.

One thing I love about always wearing skirts is that when someone stops by - a delivery person or repairman, for example -I'm never worried that I look frumpy or unkempt. Also, I find that men, especially, act very respectfully towards a woman in a skirt. The other nice thing is that on the days we do go out I'm always "prepared" - i.e. I don't have to change my clothes to put on something nicer as I'm already wearing my nice clothes.

This is what I've encountered as well. I also find that people seem friendlier to my larger than average family (than when I'm in pants). I think it's because as a skirt wearer you look like you like "girly" things like children and homemaking. The joke's on them though...if they could only see my home, they'd know homemaking is no strong point for me!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

suzgallus wrote:
Cay and Jenn (and all those searching for the perfect undergarment)

Have you seen this company, Decent Exposures?

They sell the "un-bra" which I tried several years ago, on the recommendation from my then La Leche League leader. I haven't bought another bra since then. They are not cheap, but I have averaged 1/year. So, I guess $40/year for a comfortable, great-fitting bra is worth it. It's the only bra I feel comfortable wearing a bit more clingy clothing with.

I haven't seen this, thanks. In the pictures it doesn't look like they provide much support??

Now...how about shirts? Where do you find them? I want skirts that can be untucked, stay around waistband. I have all these great skirts and at a loss to what to top them with. Where we live having sweaters and vests are too hot for indoor living. And I can't wear wool or cashmere.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:

Now...how about shirts? Where do you find them? I want skirts that can be untucked, stay around waistband.

Yes, how about shirts?
I've been meaning to ask Bridget where she found her elbow-length shirts (and I saw Suzanne had one as well). I prefer three-quarter length sleeves. I also prefer tunic style shirts that won't shrink and crawl up my waistline.

mom to 5

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I prefer elbow length shirts also, and I like my shirts loose with a bit of spandex in them for stretchablity.   (but NOT tight!) I shop at Goodwill and Walmart...

I'm blogging my week in skirts also...
http://joyfulchaos.wordpress.com/

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10