Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

SaraP wrote:
OK, one more question if you don't mind . . .

What about hiking around in the woods or chasing little people around (and up and down) on the playground?

...lots of prickly vines, poison ivy and big rocks and fallen trees to get over.

Any ideas? Please, please don't tell me that if I can't do it in a skirt I shouldn't be doing it! I really love being outside and active with my kiddos and giving that up in order to adopt a particular style of dress seems like putting the cart before the horse to me.

Berry bushes do present a problem with skirts as you have more material to catch in the thorns around you in a skirt than in a pair of jeans. Also, where we went up north (in the middle of Wisconsin) when I was young there were wood ticks. My mom made us wear jeans even in the heat of summer in an effort to thwart the ticks and save our legs from scratches.

I feel that if you intend to have a light activity day, a skirt is a good option. If you have planned a day of hiking, berrying, biking, chasing kids, or cleaning bathrooms, wear pants. It is wonderful that women can choose what to wear for different occasions. And it is not an occasion of sin to wear pants, as long as they are modest.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Tina P. wrote:
   Also, where we went up north (in the middle of Wisconsin) when I was young there were wood ticks. My mom made us wear jeans even in the heat of summer in an effort to thwart the ticks and save our legs from scratches.

I considered writing about this very subject! I feel if you are in a tick infested area the best option is to wear jeans tucked into socks. I think it is a health issue at that point. A dress simply gives the ticks additional places to hide.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Tina P. wrote:
Now can I bother you to show me an A-line skirt?

An A-line is a skirt in the shape of a capital A. They work best with fabrics that drape well and stretch so you don't get a lot of fabric at the waist. That's why I like knits in A-line because you get both stretch and drape.

This is an example similar to how I make mine.

All this skirt talk even has me dreaming about them! LOL, I really do need to update my wardrobe. A dear friend just lent me all her very pretty nursing tops and I could really use some new skirts to go with them. I stopped at the fabric outlet today to get more stretch lace ( to make more comfort/sleep nursing bras ) and I found 2 great deals on some lovely knit in khaki and navy. I can't sew today though because men are in my bedroom/sewing alcove installing new windows. But I'm washing the fabric and getting it ready! Now if my back just stays feeling well I'm all set.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

MicheleQ wrote:
   I stopped at the fabric outlet today to get more stretch lace ( to make more comfort/sleep nursing bras )

Michele,
I see you mention these are for comfort and sleeping. I wondered at first because the material is thin. I could never have worn these in public when I was nursing. Not even now for that matter. I'm wondering about padding on nursing bras (and bras in general).

I'm keeping this under this "modesty" thread because it is rather embarrassing.      But when I was nursing (and ever since then) I have not been able to find a well padded bra that reduces the showing of the nipple. (I'm sorry, I simply can't think of how to write that "modestly" ).

I certainly don't need the padding as Mother Nature has been over kind but I need something for smoothness (if you know what I mean).

Even when I nursed and had to use the circular pads when in public (for milk leaking), one could faintly see the circular ring (of the nursing pad) through the shirt. I hated that. My shirts are not tight at all. I am just very full-breasted.

How does everyone else handle the "showing"?

I hope this post isn't too revealing.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Michele -

I thought you were going to say you couldn't sew today because you couldn't get close enough to the sewing machine!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Cay, what about vests and sweaters? I've also wore tank tops over my bras and under my tops to help conceal.   I'm not overly endowed, but I've been nursing non-stop for nearly 12 years now and I have the very same issue. Here're I'll have this flowing skirt, slip, and nice top, covered up all lady-like, and, well, you know...

I've been using lots of wraps and shawls lately, the weather has been so mild and they cover me nicely. I have also been lucky enough to come across a few shirts at Goodwill that have a double layer in the front.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Cay-

I haven't tried them, but I have a couple of friends who swear by Lilypadz.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Cay Gibson wrote:
I see you mention these are for comfort and sleeping. I wondered at first because the material is thin. I could never have worn these in public when I was nursing. Not even now for that matter. I'm wondering about padding on nursing bras (and bras in general).

Don't be embarrassed. It's a modesty issue yes but we're talking nursing here so we should be able to talk about it albeit discreetly.

I wear the bra like I linked to for sleeping because I have to wear nursing pads or I leak all over everyone. Sometimes I wear it around the house (especially in the beginning when my milk comes in) but never in public as it's not supportive enough. I don't think it would be immodest depending on the top and since I tend to wear nurisng tops that usually means 2 layers in the front.

Have you tried the foam padded bras? They use a thin foam that really reduces show thru but doesn't add bulk. I know Leading Lady sells some.

Quote:
Even when I nursed and had to use the circular pads when in public (for milk leaking), one could faintly see the circular ring (of the nursing pad) through the shirt. I hated that. My shirts are not tight at all. I am just very full-breasted.

Oh I understand. I use these nursing pads. They are large enough that they mold to you, don't show through and are the best at controlling leaking that I have ever used (I leak like crazy!). But they are wool and some people are allergic I'm not). They are VERY comfortable - not itchy at all.

I'll see if I can find a example of the foam bras I'm talking about.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

SaraP wrote:
Cay-

I have them. They work but they don't breathe well so I don't like to use them all the time. They are great for now shown thru though!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay, I have the same problem my whole life. Even with padding seems to show up. I am now more endowed, too, and the larger the bra size the less padding and camoflauge bras can be. I haven't found the solution...it's just a chronic problem. I try to wear less clingy clothes when I can, but I show through oxford shirts, knit shirts, sweaters...it's bad.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lisbet wrote:
Cay, what about vests and sweaters? I've also wore tank tops over my bras and under my tops to help conceal.    

Conceal! There's the perfect word, Lisa. I just couldn't think of it.

Sweaters are out except in winter. I'm in the hot south.

Vests look dorky on me for some odd reason. Manly even. And my breasts leave them too short to cover the five-baby bulge.

I have seen women wear nice blazers which I find very attractive but they look bulky on me because my waistline is no longer concave.   

I really wish I could find something nice and feminine that would conceal without looking bulky.     

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

hylabrook1 wrote:
I thought you were going to say you couldn't sew today because you couldn't get close enough to the sewing machine!

Ha ha! Well technically I can't get close to my machines because they are all put away for now. But the baby dropped a few days ago so I actually can reach things a little better.

I have to have an ultrasound again tomorrow because they are afraid I might be having another 10 pounder again. I don't think she's that big and I wouldn't elect for a c-section anyway but they want to have a physican in the room if they thinhk she'll be 11 lb. or more. Whatever. Maybe I'll actually go into labor before then!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

MicheleQ wrote:
Have you tried the foam padded bras? They use a thin foam that really reduces show thru but doesn't add bulk. I know Leading Lady sells some.

No, I haven't. Truth be told, I wear the bras my mother gives me.    She buys the very best (the very expensive) for support, wears them three to six months, buys her some more and gives the "old" ones to me.

I'm grateful, really. I could never afford to buy the ones she buys. But, while they have good support, they aren't padded.

Does Leading Lady have a website? What stores is that found in? Are they costly? I definitely want to check into trying some.

SaraP wrote:
Cay-

I believe I heard Kathy Lee Grifford mention these years ago.      Where can they be bought? In a regular store? Are they full, breast-molding?

Another pet peeve of mine was the nursing pad constantly moving around and slipping down inside my bra. Getting bunched up even.

mom to 5

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

MicheleQ wrote:
I don't think she's that big and I wouldn't elect for a c-section anyway but they want to have a physican in the room if they thinhk she'll be 11 lb. or more.

Good for you and don't let them bully you! My second DS was 11lbs 11oz and I refused the 41 week ultrasound to check amniotic fluid levels because I knew he was big (I was ENORMOUS) and didn't one anyone getting antsy. We did NSTs every other day instead and he was born easily, naturally and with no problems at all.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Cay Gibson wrote:
Does Leading Lady have a website? What stores is that found in? Are they costly? I definitely want to check into trying some.

Leading Lady website.

Boscov's is where I buy them.

Not costly. Average I'd say. Not your $12 bra more like $25 but worth it.

God bless,

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I for one was so excited to see a fellow 4real mom showing us a week in skirts via her blog.

It's so helpful to see another mom doing her daily duty in skirts.

Thank you, Bridget. I love your skirts. They look very classy.

For me, I think my family might go into culture shock if I began wearing skirts every day. Yes, they might even ask me if I've become "pre-Vatican II".

I might try a skirt a week and see how it goes. But, gosh, I love my pants. I do see though how feminine and lovely you other ladies look in skirts vs. pants.

Can I be so bold as to ask another "intimate" question?    What do you ladies do who wear skirts when the monthly cycle rolls around? This is one time of the month I never wear a dress or skirt...even to church. You can PM me for privacy's sake.   

mom to 5

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Cay, cycles are few and far between for me, but one word - leggings! :)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I just had to add that when I was reading the comments under Bridget's post, one comment stood out above the rest. It made me want to cry .

Her husband, Kevin, wrote:

"Seriously, Bridget defines 'femininity' for me. She is the yardstick by which I measure it."

-Kevin

Isn't that simply beautiful!!!   

So if you're a skirts-wanna be, go by her blog and see how it's done 4real.

mom to 5

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Cay Gibson wrote:
I for one was so excited to see a fellow 4real mom showing us a week in skirts via her blog.

It's so helpful to see another mom doing her daily duty in skirts.

Thank you, Bridget. I love your skirts. They look very classy.

For me, I think my family might go into culture shock if I began wearing skirts every day. Yes, they might even ask me if I've become "pre-Vatican II".

Yes, thank you, Bridget! I think this is very helpful.

Cay, I think "culture shock" is exactly what I was worried about with my family.

I'm also glad to hear the questions (and answers) about wearing skirts out in the boondocks. We live on 15 acres in the Great White North (otherwise known as Upstate New York), and we have either snow or mud about 9 months of the year. So the warmth thing is a big deal here; in fact, many of the moms I know who wear skirts during the warmer months I've noticed wearing pants now. (Although today was nice -- 50 degrees! Whoo!) Plus, there's walking through the muck to haul compost to the compost heap. (I have to say, Bridget, your compost heap is very nice! )

I've also wondered, along with Sara, about the going out thing. As I contemplate wearing skirts this time of year, I wonder, "When I want to take the little ones out into the snow, what will I do?" (We don't have any snow on the ground now, but we're due. We should have snow on the ground from December to March.) I doubt that I will be doing any big sledding this year -- we have an enormous sledding hill -- but I guess that would be a question, too. I really don't think I'd be comfortable sledding in a skirt.

The other thing I was thinking about as I sat outside with a baby on each knee... I guess you can't sit like that in a skirt either. So many patterns to relearn!

I've also been thinking about the "dressing up" issue. I think maybe this has to do with type of fabric. For instance, a denim skirt looks like jeans and seems less dressy to me than a skirt made out of anything else. I am sure that my attitude toward skirts as dressing up come from the fact that as a child, pants were for playing and getting dirty, and skirts/dresses were reserved for school and church. In my head, I know that just because it's a skirt doesn't mean you can't get it dirty, but it's like a muscle memory -- hard to get rid of!!!

Does anyone have a good source for aprons? I have been thinking I need an apron for a long time (even with my jeans), but -- sigh -- I do not know how to sew. don't go out much -- too far away from stores -- but when I've looked, I haven't been able to find anything I really like. Has anyone found an apron that covers part of your shoulders? All my shirts have stains on the shoulders from picking up babies.

--Angela
Mom to 3+2
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Angel wrote:
I'm also glad to hear the questions (and answers) about wearing skirts out in the boondocks.

I've also wondered, along with Sara, about the going out thing.

Speaking of which, if you live in the boondocks I don't guess you get out often in public. So does it really matter what one wears?

I would think it's perfectly okay to wear jeans to go out in the snow with the children and wear around the house. Unless, of course, you're setting an example for your children. Which raises other questions.

Do the ones mainly wearing skirts go "out" much (as in public outtings) and only wear skirts when they make trips to town? or do you wear them even at home as an example to your children regarding modesty and femininity? or do you wear them all the time as a personal conviction?

I'm really treading the water here. I've never had a personal conviction or an eye-opening experience. But the ideal appeals to me. I've read one book that really spoke to my heart regarding femininity and that's Colleen Hammond's book "Dressing with Dignity". Ever since reading it I have been looking at the way I dress and my daughters dress with a more discerning eye.

Still, I fight it. My mother is very refined and proper. She wears dresses and skirts almost all the time and my children, as dearly as they love her, can't picture their grandmother having a very good time in dresses all the time. I'm afraid if I got that route my children will think I'm trying to be a refined, proper lady all the time and will make me less approachable.

I know this isn't the case with others whose children have grown with this image. But it will be a brand new image to my children and I'm not sure what they will think.

Sorry if all these questions were answered earlier. I fell behind in the discussion due to being out-of-town.

mom to 5

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version