Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tights? Boots?Modesty when it's cold Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Cay Gibson wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

If you don't mind shopping at Walmart, I saw some gored, A-line skirts there this week for about $10 (black, khaki, denim).

I just came from there and found...nothing.

I also realized that this is not the best season to be shopping for a new wardrobe. Too many other expenses.

I think Walmarts vary regionally. I never find things at ours that other people have mentioned. And I'm with you on the timing of this endeavor Cay! Think after-Christmas sales!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The skirts were tucked away on the side, hiding under some seasonal sweaters. I wouldn't have noticed them had my dd not grabbed one in passing. I did notice the label said they are part of the new spring line, so maybe they will be in more stores later. But I tried to find them on line, and they weren't there, either.

Elizabeth wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

If you don't mind shopping at Walmart, I saw some gored, A-line skirts there this week for about $10 (black, khaki, denim).

I just came from there and found...nothing.

I also realized that this is not the best season to be shopping for a new wardrobe. Too many other expenses.

I think Walmarts vary regionally. I never find things at ours that other people have mentioned. And I'm with you on the timing of this endeavor Cay! Think after-Christmas sales!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Lisa R wrote:
Thanks for all the answers to my questions on my previous post. Only one left....leggings? I hate tights so I'm thinking of wearing silk underwear and leggings(on really cold days) with socks and boots? Does that seem right? Just silks and socks on other days? Sorry I seem so dense!

Thanks!

Anybody? And where is a good place to get leggings?

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Do you mean leggings as in leg warmers (circa the 1980s) or pant like leggings?

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

OK, it's been a little time and lots of posts between the question I wanted to ask and the actual asking, but I remember a post about 3/4 length or longer sleeves somewhere up there. I understand that it's immodest to go sleeveless, but what's wrong with short sleeves? We get up to about 100*F in the summer. I think I'd start having heat rash again like I did when I was a child if I wore longer sleeves.

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

MicheleQ wrote:

I don't know!!    I know on other post it's been talked about so I don't know if they mean the silk long underwear or something else?!    I feel so fashion challenged all of a sudden.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2006 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Lisa R wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:

I don't know!!    I know on other post it's been talked about so I don't know if they mean the silk long underwear or something else?!    I feel so fashion challenged all of a sudden.

LOL! OK here's a sample of both leggings and legwarmers. Personally I prefer leg warmers over leggings and that's only if I need them because I wear flannel backed satin slips and they are usually plenty warm enough.

Hope this is helpful.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Lisa, I wear black cotton leggings (not legwarmers) under my dresses alot. Someone gave them to me, so I dont' know one would buy them. They come about mid calf on me, and sometimes when doing something very active like bike riding, I will wear a knee lenght dress and the leggings show. For warmth, I wear the leggings over tights or trouser socks. HTH!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Coming in very late. As mentioned already, the thread title didn't hint to how informative this thread is.       Obviously, 12 pages of responses was a hint.
...and it took two days of reading to get through it all.

Just a few comments I wanted to add from someone who rarely wears skirts (only on Sunday or if my pants or in the hamper).

I also love the way I feel in a skirt. I'm treated noticably different while out shopping...I'm invisible in sweats, jeans, or junky clothes....HOWEVER, put on a skirt, nice blouse or sweater and doors are held open and an attitude/treatment from others that's so obvious.

My dd won't wear a dress...no how - no way. She says why should she because I never do.    She's right. That's when I realized how I dress does matter and I'm influencing her by wearing daddy's oversized shirts and sweat pants for comfort. (She also won't wear jeans...just sweats or when we go to church she'll wear slacks)

I used to only wear dresses and skirts..before kids & when I worked outside the home...but little by little I've turned yucky.

Inspired, I plan to change my wardrobe. It's just so expensive. I follow the links posted & cant imagine spending that kind of money on myself.....per item...and I'd need it all ...boots, leggings, skirts, shirts....the thrift store purchases have inspired me to at least try to get skirts there.

Big confession....sometimes, dressing the way I do I feel more tough than gentle & loving. (As I sit typing in my DH's oversized sweatshirt w/ hood. LOL)

Pics won't happen because I'm overweight & you ladies are all skinny.    Too many rolls even if I wasn't pregnant. LOL

I do plan to make more of an effort to wear skirts though.

One question....is there a reason a majority (if not all) in this thread seem to favor skirts over dresses?

I can see more outfit options (change shoes & shirt...different look) & maybe even more comfortable with skirts. I feel stiff in a dress.

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Michaela, I'm with you.. I'm overweight and clothes aren't easy to come by that fit well and look okay on me. I have a couple of Land's End knit skirts I love. One was purchased via thier Overstocks section and the other was a hand-me-down from my cousin. I'm a half and half dresser... half the time skirts, half the time pants. Cato's has some nice-looking plus-size skirts but I haven't had a chance to look in there beyond the window.

JoAnna

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Hi Michaela:

One nice thing about finding skirts at thrift store is that they're generally not overused like your average pair of used jeans. You can find nice skirts at good prices because no one but *you* will be looking to buy them.

For me, skirts are easier because I can nurse in them. I also have a jumper that I practically live in. It's really nondescript, not very pretty, just a plain denim jumper. However, it buttons down both sides to the waist. And it's sooooooo comfy!

I mostly wear nice dresses, but have gone the skirt route, to church.

God bless,

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Michaela wrote:
... Inspired, I plan to change my wardrobe. It's just so expensive. ....

Michaela that was a beautiful post. Thank you for pointing out the difference in treatment you experience in a skirt.

I've been meaning to mention that boots do last a long time. Christine has amazing boots that lasted 12 years - but I'm on my second pair of boots in about the same amount of time. Something to consider when looking at the prices. (And the boots still look good.)

You really don't need that many things. The skirts also last a long time. They don't need the constant washing especially if you have the underclothes. Those things get washed often and they wash easily.

I also use my older skirts under newer skirts for warmth. Skirts are very versatile.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Michaela wrote:
One question....is there a reason a majority (if not all) in this thread seem to favor skirts over dresses? I can see more outfit options (change shoes & shirt...different look) & maybe even more comfortable with skirts. I feel stiff in a dress.

I like both, but immediately postpartum I prefer my knit nursing dresses as they are more comfortable on the belly and hide the bulges a bit better.    In fact I have one in my bag all ready to wear home if this baby ever decides to get here. . .

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Michaela, I'm a plus-size as well (and much more buxom than I'd like to be). I have been really blessed to find nice skirts, blouses, slips and even coats at Goodwill, thanks to St. Anthony and the generosity of career women who probably donate the clothing I find there. It takes some patience to slowly build a wardrobe by shopping at thrift shops, but I've found that I usually run across much better quality than I could normally afford and more modest styles than most retailers are currently offering.

Moleskin is a wonderful fabric that tends to skim over less desirable features, is very comfortable, easy to care for and virtually indestructable. I have a favorite moleskin top that is six years old, shows no wear and looks as new as some I've gotten much more recently. I tend to choose darker shades or jewel tones to de-emphasize the bustline, and they all go well with a favorite black moleskin skirt, or worn over jumpers. I recently found a skirt and blouse set of black and brown floral knit with spandex (at Goodwill), which I layer under a chocolate brown moleskin top, worn like a jacket...it makes a very nice outfit and is amazingly comfortable (when I wear this outfit I feel like I'm wearing nightclothes, but it doesn't look like it at all)

One benefit to skirts, if you've been used to wearing pants, is that it's not as much of a change from wearing slacks. Usually you'll find you already have some tops, blouses or sweaters that can be worn with skirts, so if you want to make the transition your initial investment is likely to be for a skirt or two, and perhaps footwear. I have to buy two sizes of shoes or boots (due to different size feet), so I tend to choose black, which goes with almost everything. I always keep my eye on clearance racks at the end of seasons for shoes, stockings or undergarments.

Another benefit to skirts, for plus-size women, is that separates are sometimes more flattering. Dresses and jumpers sometimes tend to look more tentlike, especially if you're more well-endowed. Jackets or an over-blouse can lessen that effect if you find dresses or jumpers you like.

If you carry yourself with grace and dignity, wear a smile along with whatever clothing you choose, your beauty will shine forth mo matter what size you might wear. Health issues have taken me from a size 8-10 when I was young to a size 22-24, so I'm not inclined to share photos either. But I can assure you that at age 50 I have never felt better about myself as a woman....I have finally come to the realization that true beauty comes from the soul and radiates outward to the people you meet on the Journey to Heaven...where we all get new bodies anyway!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Helen wrote:
[QUOTE=Michaela]
You really don't need that many things. The skirts also last a long time. They don't need the constant washing especially if you have the underclothes. Those things get washed often and they wash easily.

Okay, true confessions here. My favorite black knit skirt was purchased from LLBean after Michael or Patrick was born. That's either 18 or 12 years ago . It still looks decent. I've worn it to church for all those years and all those sizees. That means it fit me when I was a size 6 and it also fit me 7 months pregnant. And I wore it yesterday. That's a lot of mileage. A pair of jeans can't do that...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Tina P. wrote:
I understand that it's immodest to go sleeveless, but what's wrong with short sleeves?

I mulled over this question and posted an answer to my blog:
the Practicality of 3/4 sleeves
It seemed long to put here.
If you want to start a new thread and critique the points, I'm toast ... er ...
I mean I'm game.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Elizabeth wrote:
Okay, true confessions here. My favorite black knit skirt was purchased from LLBean after Michael or Patrick was born. That's either 18 or 12 years ago . It still looks decent. I've worn it to church for all those years and all those sizees. That means it fit me when I was a size 6 and it also fit me 7 months pregnant. And I wore it yesterday. That's a lot of mileage. A pair of jeans can't do that...

Exactly. And I think that clothing manufacturers have figured that out as well .

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Okay. So I am trying to "update" my wardrobe. For you ladies that live on the East Coast and up North, a little snow is probably not that drastic. But here in the Heartland of Oklahoma, it is. We had 12 inches of snow this week!

Now, I don't own a pair of boots, haven't worn leg warmers since the 80s, and cannot fit in any of the leggings that I used to wear. So I am wearing skirts, socks and penny loafers. I am cold! I helped my ds deliver papers wearing my dh muck boots! Help!

Michele, where do you buy flannel backed satin slips? Also, you mentioned flannel backed satin pajamas (either here or in another thread). These sound like options I want to try, but I have no idea where to search for these items.

Thanks for the tip on leggings and legwarmers. I will try to add these to my wardrobe as well. And I think I will seriously consider adding a pair of boots as well. I just have to wait for Lands End to have the right color!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Carole N. wrote:
Michele, where do you buy flannel backed satin slips? Also, you mentioned flannel backed satin pajamas (either here or in another thread). These sound like options I want to try, but I have no idea where to search for these items.

Carol,

I'm sorry I don't know where to buy them either because I make mine. Not very helpful am I? But if you want to learn how to sew them I can help you there!

BTW, 12 inches is a lot of snow in this north east coast gal's opinion!

God bless,

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Michele,

I knew that you were a seamstress, but did not realize that you made your own slips! I should have known! I am not sure that my sewing abilities are ... well let's just say that Home Economics was many moons ago, and I never excelled in the sewing area! Now if you want a great meal, I can help you that area.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version