Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Loveliness Fairs 2007 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

On Thursdays, my children take a little Science class with other homeschoolers.

Today, as I was sitting in the class, I thought, "What about a loveliness fair on crosses and how they change us for the better?"

I could host The Loveliness of Poverty.

What do you think?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

ladybugs wrote:

I could host The Loveliness of Poverty.

What do you think?

There we go, Maria, thats my speed!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

How about the Loveliness of Sunday family traditions? Has that been done before? (I'm still a bit of a newbie around here, ya know.)

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

How about the "Loveliness of cooking with children?"

I could host that one. You all have come up with wonderful ideas. It's very inspiring.

God bless. Ruth

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

TracyQ wrote:
Can someone explain (detailed please) what a *hostess* of a loveliness fair does, and what is the difference between a *loveliness fair* and a *carnival of ____* is?

I'm a bit confused, but would love to possibly help sometime if the Holy Spirit leads me.

Thank you!

I'm quoting Tracy here because I, too, would like to know the answer to her question. As someone who does not blog, I only sometimes catch these fairs and carnivals, so I could use a primer on them. Thanks.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Tracy and Irene, I am no expert, but will try to answer your questions a little bit.

To the best of my understanding, a fair is just another name for a carnival, and they both serve the same purpose - to showcase links to posts from many blogs about one subject, be it homeschooling, living rooms or nature, etc.

A hostess just collects the links up until a given date, and then writes up a post in which she writes about, and links to, each entry. For example, when I do Field Day, I ask people to send me a link to a post they have done at their blog about nature. Then I write up a post and introduce each person's link with a few words (relating to the theme of their post). When people read through my post about say, Early Autumn, they can access nature posts at many blogs at one time.

Now, Loveliness Fairs are pretty much the same thing. Elizabeth came up with this beautiful idea and we brainstormed some themes and she nailed down a schedule through the end of the year. Each hostess has announced her Fair here and at her blog and then set a deadline for submissions. (I keep a folder in my email inbox and file all related emails there - note: you can email yourself PMs which I do to keep it all in one place.) Then the hostess just writes up a post about her topic and links to each person's entry in that post. (Also, organizing any submissions by non-bloggers into her post as well.)

I hope this helps you a bit. I just read back through this and it sounds kind of muddled, but I'm afraid I have no time to edit!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dawn wrote:
Tracy and Irene, I am no expert,

LOL, Dawn, I beg to differ!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Dawn wrote:
[QUOTE=Angel] Loveliness of Special Needs?

--Angela

Angela, I *love* this idea!

I'd be willing to host it <gulp> -- not sure I'm organized enough, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

--Angela
Mom to 3+2
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Dawn,
    Thank you! I was confused I think by the Fair vs. Carnival wording. I didn't know they were the same thing. I thought it could be the case, but wanted to be sure.

Thank you for explaining this to me. It has helped me a lot, and didn't seem muddled to me!

I'm still a novice at the blog thing, and don't even know how to put links in, or how to do my sidebars or anything, so it'll be awhile before I could do a *Fair*, but will try to work on my blog skills, and learn so that in the near future, I can also be included. I know I'm so blessed by those that you all have done, and the ones to come in the future will bless me as well.

Maybe we'll have to do a *Loveliness Fair of Loveliness Fairs* sometime in the future!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote Erin

TracyQ wrote:
      I'm still a novice at the blog thing, and don't even know how to put links in, or how to do my sidebars or anything, so it'll be awhile before I could do a *Fair*, but will try to work on my blog skills, and learn so that in the near future, I can also be included.

Tracy
Nothing like having a lovliness fair as an impetus, I just participated in a fair and for that I had to learn how to link blogs, download my pictures to Kodak, then upload tp my blog etc Whew a STEEP learning curve for me. Who are you with? If not sure how do do things can you email your provider or do they have a FAQ's page? My provider has been so generous at answering my questions. And if I re-read her explanations I get it after only about 10 reads.

Dive in and 'have a go'. I'm off now to work out the sidebar picture thing too.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Erin,

I'm at the 10 times thing. I have to read and re-read before explaining too, because I'm a visual picture person, not a visual print person. I need to SEE someone doing it to understand it.

I'm with homeschoolblogger.com and I don't really want to be there because of their statement of faith (or mission or whatever I read), but tried to ask them to remove my blog, and they didn't, so I'm guessing God wants me there. I'm hoping by being there, I can interject some *Catholic ideas* in a subconsious way. And it's free.

I've had thoughts of trying another as others have here (Typepad??? I'm not sure which is best). I'd have to check the cost, and see if we can swing it or not at this point. AND see if I have the time to devote to it.

I love writing, and I love designing, so it seems like something I'd love. Plus it feels like I'm having people over for tea when I have a blog, and going to someone's for tea when I visit other lovely blogs, kwim???

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Maybe over the Christmas break when I have a bit more time, I could try to become more skilled at it.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Nov 19 2006 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it all, Dawn!

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2006 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

Wow, there are so many good ideas here!

I had one since I'm getting focused on losing some weight!

How about the loveliness of fitness,
or the loveliness of good health
or the loveliness of nutritious meals

I'm also thinking about
The loveliness of laundry (or lovelines of getting the laundry done). That might go along with the loveliness of matched socks - but I think that would be the loveliness of miracles!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2006 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Elena wrote:
I had one since I'm getting focused on losing some weight!

How about the loveliness of fitness,
or the loveliness of good health
or the loveliness of nutritious meals

Ooh, I'd love the loveliness of fitness - I am writing this as I sip a cup of tea, feeling totally worked out after my Taebo workout.

I also thought of the loveliness of quotes and mottoes - favourite quotes or mottoes that inspire and help.

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

I had another idea on this. I don't know if it was mentioned before but how about...

The loveliness of serving our families.

And I also love the idea for the Loveliness of Special Needs.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2006 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Scanning through the list, these are some of my favorites so far!

backyard shrines
baby names (and why)
picnics
Carnival/Mardi Gras/Pre-Lent
Lenten Sacrifices
St. Joseph altars
letter writing and/or journaling

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version