Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Easy slow cooker (crock pot) recipes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

This is from FlyLady and so, so good (but a bit spicy, FYI):

One 3lb-ish beef roast
1 lg jar of pepperoncini peppers
2 cloves of garlic, sliced

Put everything in togther, cook on low for 8hrs and serve wrapped in warm pita bread.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay Gibson wrote:
I'm making Jenn's "Beef Braised in Coffee" for the first time. It's in the slow cooker and my house has a lovely aroma.

Thanks, Jenn.

What was the vote? I usually have that recipe on a two week rotation, but having that smell in my house does not sound appealing.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:

What was the vote?

Is it an Italian dish? I'm unsure.

My children are use to thick Cajun dishes. Slap on the Tony's and Worcheshire and just pluck it in the slow cooker.

They loved the meat but said the gravy "smelt funny". You would think Cajun children would like gravy made of coffee.

My dh and I loved it though.

Hint: it tastes even better after sitting (in the frig) in the gravy overnight.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Philothea wrote:
Easiest ever:

BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches

2 lbs. chicken tenderloin strips
1 bottle of BBQ sauce (your choice, I like Texas Heat or my own homemade sauce if I have a few extra minutes)

Layer chicken strips in crock. Pour sauce over them and stir/fold to coat. Cook on low for about 8 hours.

To serve, shred chicken in crock, then use tongs or slotted spoon to transfer meat to serving dish. Scoop some of the leftover sauce from the crock into a seperate dish for pouring, then make sandwiches on Kaiser rolls with the shredded meat and a bit of extra sauce (to taste). Serve with salad.

I rediscovered this thread yesterday and made this recipe tonight...YUMMY! And it made enough for some leftovers plus another's night's worth in the freezer!

DH wasn't home to try it but my Dad came over for some and he really liked it!

Thanks, Philothea!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

For the record, cheap cuts of meat THRIVE in slow cookers. They "perform" much better than the spendier stuff.

My easiest recipe is to just throw a whole chicken in the pot with potatoes, carrots, onion and about 10 garlic cloves (garlic mellows A LOT when cooking for a long period)

It's an easy meal 8 hours later and I'm all about one dish meals. (Well, I do serve cottage cheese with this on the side so the kids mix it in with the veggies).

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2007 at 4:17am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

I have been surfing through the Fireside chat and saw this post. My MIL recently gave me a slow cooker and even though it is and looks quite old it has been kept in lovely condition.

I have only made two dishes so far as I'm not spending to much time in the kitchen and I have to cook early otherwise by the afternoon I'm not to good for much other than feeling like I've been out to sea in the middle of a cyclone, with my head in a bucket (morning sickness).

I have tried a very basic chicken and vegetable soup, it turned out yummy and very soothing. The other morning I tossed in some bacon bones and a bacon hock with onions, garlic, potatoes and some green dried split peas and made Pea and Ham soup. Just before tea time I took out the meat which was falling deliciously off the bone took any fatty bits off and quickly shredded the meat, popped the meat back in gave it all another ½ hour and it was ready – to easy. It was a great dish and even I could eat it.

Yum-Yum

C

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 02 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

I'm using my crock today with a recipe I got from my son in law!

Russell's beef stew:

2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato soup
2 pounds frozen mixed veggies(today I used a pound of mixed and a pound of corn)
1 pound of stew meat(cut small)
5 large potatoes, diced(I used red because I was too lazy to peel)
2 packets of Lipton soup mix

Dump everything but the soups into the crock, then in a bowl mix up the tomato and onion soup, pour over contents, stir.

Russell cooks his on low for 8 hours, but I won't have time for that today so I will do one or two hours on high then the rest on low. This fills a large oval crockpot.

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 02 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

after reading through all these posts I think I may have figured out why my meals get over cooked. LOL I just need to cook shorter.

I love my crockpot for ease, but over dried out food..yuck! lol though dh has been nice about it.

and I love the smell of it cooking all day, YUMMY.

so now I am off to try a couple of these...maybe even tonight....

thanks!

PS this one is also very good...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Island-Kielbasa-in-a-Slow-Cooke r/Detail.aspx

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2007 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Thanks for the link Jamie, I found the recipe and it looks yummy. Here's a clickable link to it

Island Kielbasa

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2007 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

doris wrote:
Background: I borrowed my in-laws' slow cooker, as a trial run before buying one of my own. It is ancient and has no instructions so I was working blind. I looked up a recipe on the internet and bunged it all in.

Eight hours later ... raw chicken, hard carrots, and lots and lots of what looks like dishwater! Is it the machine, or the recipe, or me, or all of the above?!

Advice and suggestions most welcome!

Elizabeth

My grandmother gave me her old crockpot and I had the exact same problem - 3 times in a row (sometimes I am a SLOW learner). I finally called her and the first thing she asked me was "did you turn it on 'high' for an hour first?" Apparently, hers (and maybe others?) need that hour on high to heat up, then the heat can be maintained at low the rest of the cooking time. Just starting on low, the outside was warm, the contents were a degree above room temp but the food was NOT cooked after 15+ hours.

Does anyone else's require this 'pre-heating'?
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

cathochick
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 02 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote cathochick

I have two crockpots. One is a smaller, old one from my MIL. It makes perfect overnight oatmeal. Great for those mornings when you want or need to skip cooking breakfast. The other one is now eight years old (wedding present) and I mostly cook Schoolhouse Chili in it once a week or so.
Back to Top View cathochick's Profile Search for other posts by cathochick Visit cathochick's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version