Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Barbie Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Stef, I had/have a Sunshine family doll set. I have had them since I was probably 7 or 8. :-) Of course, as carefully as I saved them, my kids have lost some limbs and clothes around here...

Back to Barbies, when my oldest dd was little, I made it clear to family and friends, in a humorous way, that we didn't "do" Barbies. I'd rather stick to babies that looked like babies or kids. A few years and daughters later, a few were given as b-day gifts but by that time my daughters knew to thank them nicely and we had a deal to go trade them for something else (i.e. Kelly is allowed to go with our Fisher Price doll house). So we have a couple of Kelly dolls around here but they aren't played with very much. This usually worked out great.

We prepped them before holidays to always be kind and courteous at the gifts, even if they didn't like them or it was something our family didn't allow. There were also inappropriate boy gifts from time to time that we didn't open. Some of these Barbies, etc. were re-gifted either to someone who did like those items or Marine toy collections for Christmas.

Hey, they need those talks before they get ugly sweaters (when they're older) at Christmas, too.

And back when I first started our no Barbie household, the newer, less offensive Barbies weren't out yet. They still all had the classic shape. I have seen a few of the collector Barbies that are quite pretty, like the fairy and ballerina. I have an old ballerina Barbie from my youth, also, saved away far from little hands. Hopefully she'll be worth something one day? (not likely)

God bless!
JoAnna

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

MicheleQ wrote:

Yeah I find them naked sometimes but I just make a joke of it "oh my gosh - Barbie's going to freeze get her dressed!" and don't worry much about it.

Mind if I borrow that?    I usually don't say anything because they don't get what the problem is, but that's a good way not to put anything in their head.

Very momma-like, without hinting to why I was asking, I asked Olivia who she liked to play with more...Barbie or Polly Pocket. She said PP because of all the "stuff" she comes with. (I didn't tell her Barbie has "stuff", too.) She also told me it's hard to dress Barbie...so that answers why I usually see Barbie without clothes on. She can get the clothes off, but struggles to get some clothes on. She doesn't play boyfriend/girlfriend with GI Joe in a bad way. More like daddy is in the army going off to work & mommy stays home watching polly.
(sounds familiar since DH was in the army 20 years & I stay with the kiddoes.    ) Usually, I see Barbie stuffed into a tank or something like that. LOL

No, I don't have a problem with Barbie however if there were comments about her body or I saw se*ual play then adjustments would be made. That would be with any doll though AND I'd be very concerned where my 6yo got s*x play ideas! Honestly, I haven't seen her really play with Barbie lately. I see Barbie being carried around by our puppy that has a fascination with chewing up Barbie's feet. Olivia seems to prefer to play with Polly 90% of the time, but Barbie seems to be a great big sister.   

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

My dd hsa Barbie but we are slowly trying to transition to the Only Hearts dolls. I am a bit worried about their durability because the bodies are fabric (only the heads and hands are plastic).

The Barbie thing does bother me -- especially the couture collector Barbies they sell. I just don't get who feels the need to buy Barbies in lingerie.
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Bridget wrote:
We don't have Barbies. I have enough trouble keeping clothes on my children, much less Barbies.

I think that is how it is at our house some days....

We don't have barbies - I made this decision when the girls were babies, I just don't think I like what Barbie represents to little girls. Not that I would have a serious problem with my girls joining in occasionally with another girl's set if we were visiting their family.

I remember visiting a friend's place many years ago that cemented my decision for my girls for when they got older was the little girl of this lady was playing to the side and I overheard use the word, "s@xy" (this little girl went to school - I am sure that may have been an added factor.)

I was very much a tomboy growing up and so my girls are a bit like that but they do love their baby dolls, my oldest in particular is very motherly, if it is not a baby doll at home it is some of the newborn babies she is getting off to sleep or just cuddling with at our weekly homeschooling get togethers.

I other dolls they have and like are the Faith dolls (the little, sleeping baby on the homepage is my youngest, Michael.) - Anna and Sandra the mums who are the creators of these dolls, created them to combat Bratz Dolls and what they believe to be their harmful effects on children.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

My problem with Barbie is that she is not age appropriate for girls of an age to be playing with her. As others have said, she has the wardrobe, etc. of someone not engaging life in a way that I want my dd to focus on. At one point my oldest dd had 1 or 2 she had gotten as gifts from other people. They *disappeared*. When ds was a toddler, I remember him holding Barbie by the feet and using her head to bat a teacup(being used as a ball) around the house. That made me laugh because several people had been *concerned* about our adding a boy to the mix after 3 girls. Just goes to show that he could adapt the *girl toys* to his own *boy* ways of playing.

I must have stopped even looking at Barbies a while back, because I didn't know they had different bodies from one another or that there was a pregnant mommy Barbie!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I am no fan of Barbie, but I found early on that most hsed girls had barbies. Not a great reason to reconsider, but since there are soooooooo many things we "don't" do, I like to find ways to make some things work when we can.

We only have princess Barbie dolls with modest dresses. My dd's have always played with them like they are ballerinas, not as s*x objects. Oh, and sometimes the kids make movies with the camcorder and Barbies and other action figures often show up in them. We don't do any of the stuff that goes along with her and I steer very clear from the Barbie aisle in toy stores so my girls don't really know about all the other stuff.

I have thought about the Mommy Barbie before. Maybe I'll take a closer look at it for Christmas.

Our big investment in doll play is still Bittie Baby and American Girl (dolls and clothes, not the stuff) and they get waaaaaaaaaaaay more play time than Barbie.

I can't stand Polly Pockets...they always end up in my baby's and toddler's mouths.

Bratz are out of the question.   

The other dolls I like are the plastic madeline dolls. They are sturdy and the girls almost always are in cute but modest dresses. A bonus...a "sister" doll in Miss Clavel!   

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Barbie did enter into our lives for a while...long story, no time now.

A few years ago, Annika told us that she had outgrown Barbie, and when she opened a present and found what she thought was Barbie, she was very upset (unusually so)...until she read the box, and discovered that it was a talking Ann Coulter doll.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

No, Gwen, not a bad memory at all, don't worry. I IV'd all my dolls, Barbie was the hard one, so I loved my soft dolls more. And I agree about it being hard to dress Barbie. The soft ones are more player-friendly.

Isn't it weird that some of us here would prefer the pregnant mommy Barbie and see that as "more normal", and others see it as a potential problem because of the explaining they'd have to do? At least one Amazon reviewer (of the Catwoman Barbie) thinks so. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

momwise wrote:
   She bought my little sisters and I the Sunshine Family, similar in size to Barbie, different body shape and came with husband and kids. Anybody else ever have the Sunshine Family?

I LOVED the Sunshine family. I've often thought of them and wish you could still buy them.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

MacBeth wrote:
she was very upset (unusually so)...until she read the box, and discovered that it was a talking Ann Coulter doll.

Hahahaha!! Now that isn't a doll I would have thought of! What does she say?!?

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Once upon a time my dd's were NEVER going to have Barbie, I objected to those silicone breasts, ugh. then they were given some as gifts, and I decided along the way (after a few children) that it really wasn't that big a deal. Now I haven't stooped as low as to buy any myself but now I ask myself "will this affect them in getting to Heaven?" and I decided Barbie on a mild scale wasn't an issue. Just my opinion. You have to form your own.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote momwise

MacBeth wrote:
found what she thought was Barbie, she was very upset (unusually so)...until she read the box, and discovered that it was a talking Ann Coulter doll.

Oh no...I had just picked myself up off the floor over this thread and here I am ROTFLOL again....

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

almamater wrote:
MacBeth wrote:
she was very upset (unusually so)...until she read the box, and discovered that it was a talking Ann Coulter doll.

She quotes from one of her books (without any profanity). Also..."What are liberals afraid of? Let me talk" that sort of thing. It's totally amusing, and she is still available on Amazon (link to Ann doll).   

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

No
Our daughters do not play with Barbies either.
Other than all the reasons Dawnie expressed in her post on the 1st page.(Which I can 100% relate to) I just find them UGLY!

Even babydolls get pitched out if they are ugly. Ugly in the sense of not 'liebevoll'...hmmmm???? I mean, some toys just lead to chaos, imo, because of an ugliness. hmmmmm?
In spite of all the 'pitching out' we still have plenty of dolls in our home.

Stephanie in Germany
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Erin wrote:
Once upon a time my dd's were NEVER going to have Barbie, I objected to those silicone breasts, ugh. then they were given some as gifts, and I decided along the way (after a few children) that it really wasn't that big a deal. Now I haven't stooped as low as to buy any myself but now I ask myself "will this affect them in getting to Heaven?" and I decided Barbie on a mild scale wasn't an issue. Just my opinion. You have to form your own.

Erin: I'm with you. That's how we were *introduced* to Barbie, even after I told relatives that we did not want Barbies. When my dd looked at me with her can-I-please-have-this? eyes, how could I say no? We had quite a few in England that were given to us. Now we still have a bunch (we got rid of several), but they are tucked away in a big Rubbermaid bucket in the storage room. My daughters play with babies or AG dolls more. I'm just biding my time, waiting until all the girls have well outgrown them. I'm not buying any. That's for sure.

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Erin wrote:
Once upon a time my dd's were NEVER going to have Barbie, ... and I decided along the way (after a few children) that it really wasn't that big a deal. Now I haven't stooped as low as to buy any myself but now I ask myself "will this affect them in getting to Heaven?" and I decided Barbie on a mild scale wasn't an issue. Just my opinion. You have to form your own.

This was us, too.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

MacBeth wrote:
almamater wrote:
MacBeth wrote:

She quotes from one of her books (without any profanity). Also..."What are liberals afraid of? Let me talk" that sort of thing. It's totally amusing, and she is still available on Amazon (link to Ann doll).   

I learn something new every day . More from Talking Presidents.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version