Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Fast labor? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Do any of you have fast labors?

Our last 2 babies were born at home...our 1st homebirth was unplanned...I just didn't think it was time to go to the hospital until it was too late! Anna was born after about 8 min. of pushing. Our 2nd homebirth was planned and attended by a midwife...Lucia was born after 2 1/2 hours of labor and 5 min. of pushing. We are planning a hospital birth for this baby for financial reasons, and it is a sacrifice for me. Anyway, I am concerned about making it to the hospital in time. I plan on being ready to deliver the baby at home, and in the car. I'm planning on putting together a birth kit w/ towels and blankets, something to tie the cord off with, scissors to cut the cord, and a bulb syringe for suctioning out the baby's airway...any other suggestions?

And for those of you who deliver fast, how do you know when it's time to go to the hospital? We have about a 15 min. drive. I'd like to get there in enough time before the baby is born so that we have a little time to settle in...I don't want to deliver in the lobby or anything! But I also don't want to get there too soon. For those of you familiar w/ the Bradley Method, I'm thinking that the perfect time to leave would be when I'm sure I'm in the serious emotional signpost of labor...once I get into the self-doubt signpost I know that pushing is very close...and if I start pushing, I know that we just need to stay put and call 911.

You'd think I'd have this all figured out, since this is my 4th baby...

Thanks for your input!
Dawn    

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I've only got three, but FWIW my labours were 18 hours, 2 hours, then 4 hours -- so your 4th won't necessarily be shorter than the last time. What *did* speed up for me was the 2nd stage (2 hrs, 30 mn and 5mn!).

Given how quick number 2 was, I went straight in to hospital as soon as I went into labour with number 3. Could you do that?

Elizabeth
Back to Top View doris's Profile Search for other posts by doris

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dawn,
I've had three labors under two hours. With the exception of this last time, I've never pushed more than twice. The first time I feel a real contraction or if my water breaks, we go. With Nicholas, I delivered fifteen minutes after we got there.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

My old OB (we've since moved) told me if I was to have another child and my water broke at home to stay at home and call 911 because the baby would be coming.

When my daughter was born the OB broke my water when I was still at 2cm. The reason he did that is a long story, but in any event, my daughter was born 66 minutes later. That was one rockin' labor.

Twelve hours with the first, 66 minutes with the second. He really doesn't *know what would happen, of course. It would be really interesting to find out!

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

With my 2nd child I wouldn't have known that I was in labor, if I had not had a doctor's appointment that day (my 1st was posterior, so the sensations that I was feeling didn't seem like anything to me). My 4th and 5th labors and deliveries were under 45 minutes. I never thought about the possibility of delivering before we arrive at the hospital (it is about 10 minutes away).    I will make a mental note of the recommendations made here. Thank you, Dawn.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Dawnie wrote:
For those of you familiar w/ the Bradley Method, I'm thinking that the perfect time to leave would be when I'm sure I'm in the serious emotional signpost of labor...

That sounds like a good idea...though I might just be cautious and head to the hospital like Elizabeth said, at the first sign of a "serious" contraction. My 5th delivery began at 4:30 am and I delivered at 6:28...we barely made it to the hospital on time and my labor was labeled "precipitous" by my OB and all the hospital staff! They all warned me of the need to induce the next time around to avoid such a labor! (Are they nuts or what?!) So, this time around if I am "allowed" to go the distance (can you tell Dallas is not a birth-friendly envt.),in other words if I can remain strong in my desire NOT to be induced, I will probably head off to the hospital once my labor pains hurt. Prayers for you, Dawn!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Kristi
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Kristi

Dawn,
I was in a similar position with my fourth. My first was born 40 min after we arrived at the hospital after about 4 hours of labor at home. My second was about 2 hours at home and 25 min at the hospital. For my third I thought we were leaving in plenty of time. I chose to walk in to the hospital from the parking lot b/c I thought we were coming so early. Well,as we walked into the maternity area I felt like I had to push. My midwife whisked us into the first room, my water broke as I got up on the bed and John Paul arrived a couple minutes later. So with my fourth, my husband and midwife were having nightmares about me delivering along the side of the highway. At the first twitching of a contraction my husband panicked. We called my midwife and headed to the hospital (about 20 min away) where she decided I should stay, then spent the next 19 hours waiting for something to happen . I wanted to go back home but everyone made me feel like I was making a huge mistake so I finally agreed to let them break my water and 25 hours after our arrival Thomas arrived .
After watching my labor, my midwife decided I would have been fine waiting at home We joke that he didn't want to share a March 6 birthday with three of his cousins and instead opted for the old Feast day of St. Thomas Aquinas!
As Elizabeth said, I think leaving when you feel the first serious contraction would be a good time. That's what we should have done, and will do if we are blessed with another. It's tricky b/c we of course don't know exactly how fast our bodies will work, but if you are ready to go as soon as you feel the first serious contraction will hopefully give you the time you need without to much waiting around.
Hope I didn't ramble on too long. You will be in our prayers for a safe and timelydelivery .

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I can't go by the signposts--I usually dilate to 3 or 4 before I'm really in labor. so, when labor truly begins, we're already to "serious." This time, the self-doubt stage was ridiculously long. But...I wouldn't have wanted to be in the car for it.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

My history has been almost identical to what Elizabeth wrote above. First 5 totally natural, I think being in the water sped them up; last 3 epidurals, actually slowed down the progress, I think, but I felt nothing. I don't have a pushing phase (I've been told I could fit three easily in this mega-pelvis ) except for crowning. When that baby is there, watch out...the doc better be. Brendan had to "catch" Matthew as no one was in the room.

Praying for you....

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I have very fast labors, I will pray for you, it can really be energy consuming worrying about making it. I also always have over due babies, so with the last one I went in 1 week early for induction, or so I had planned instead woke up in labor, during an ice storm, could'nt make it to the birth center, made it to a hospital I dreaded and God took over, had a wonderful women Ob on call, I was in and out of that hosptal in less than 12 hrs. My point is plan and then relax God will provide, and take care of all the unforseen situations. Easier said than done I realize, I will pray for you.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I had the same concerns with James because my labors had been about 2 hours and the hospital was 30 min. away. My contactions aren't uncomfortable until an hour or so before delivery, so they don't help. I asked a nurse (non practising midwife) at our hosptital what to do if the baby showed up suddenly.

She said put the baby up on your chest above your heart but do not cut the cord (She said we would only need to do this if it 911 couldn't come for a long time), rub the baby vigorously and suction nose and mouth to be sure to get a healthy cry.

The bold above is *not* because I think that is the right answer. It is because it seems like it might be prudent to ask your doctor or another medical professional to get the real scoop. I would think that you don't want to do more than is really necessary in that situation.

Last, I'll just say relax. The anxiety surrounding a unplanned homebirth so consumed me at the end of James' pregnancy that I was overly cautious and didn't have an optimal birth experience, although I did get a healthy baby for which I am very grateful.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

My first was almost pretty much born in the ambulance. They did make it into one of the ER rooms, just barely. Labor lasted for a total of 2 hours, 55 mins.

Second one - went into labor at about 8pm or so, he was born at 12:15. But he only took that long because he was sideways. They had to re-do all the paperwork, as they were sure he'd be here sooner.

Third -- went into labor about 1 in the morning. She was here at 4:13am.

I have pretty "easy" labors (well, short, anyway), and I always felt God was letting me off easy for having such horrible pregnancies. My doctor wants me to the hospital right away, first sign I have (which has always been my water breaking.). She said she would rather send me home than have me not make it. She doesn't care if it takes a long time, so I don't have to worry that if I don't "progress" that they will start to "help". I can walk around the hospital, I don't have to have an IV, etc.   
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Alcat
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Alcat

Hi Dawn,
I feel your unease! I too wanted to have a homebirth this time around so I wouldn't have to stress over making it to a hospital. Due to $$ we couldn't manage it

With my other dc's births my labor was sooo fast. I thought it would be the same for #4 but God is in control. It was a long night, 2am we get to the hospital and 12hours later she finally showed up- slightly underdone, I might add .

You just never know. I think you will set you mind at ease by having your homebirth things on hand, and like Molly said God will provide

I'll be praying for you as we both approch these births!

God Bless,
Alison

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Alcat wrote:
I too wanted to have a homebirth this time around so I wouldn't have to stress over making it to a hospital. Due to $$ we couldn't manage it

Just a quick question, I've seen the cost of a homebirth mentioned twice here as being the deciding factor between home/hospital. I am planning a homebirth (our first) for our next baby and assumed it was cheaper than the hospital. What is the ballpark figure for a homebirth?

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Homebirths in my area run from $300-$1000 including all the pre- and postnatal care, newborn assessment at birth and one week, PKU test, birth certs, etc.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2006 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Maddie,

Homebirths here in Wichita cost about $1500 for everything Rebecca mentioned above.

My dh got a new job since our last baby, and his healthcare insurance covers maternity care 100%--as long as you go to the hospital. So, we pay nothing for a hospital birth, but $1500 for a homebirth. Kinda stinks, doesn't it?

Elizabeth wrote:
I can't go by the signposts--I usually dilate to 3 or 4 before I'm really in labor. so, when labor truly begins, we're already to "serious." This time, the self-doubt stage was ridiculously long. But...I wouldn't have wanted to be in the car for it.

Yes, that's exactly one of things I'm concerned about. I definately don't want to be in the car during the self-doubt phase...or trying to walk across a parking lot into the hospital.

Homebirth is so much easier...I just called the midwife when my contractions started and she came over...no trying to figure out when the "right" time to go was...

Thanks for all the suggestions and especially for the prayers, everyone! I am not really worried about delivering at home, or even in the car...it's just something that I want to be prepared for. I did talk to my doctor about delivering at home, and she gave me a mini crash course in what to do. She said that I only needed to cut the cord if the baby wasn't pinking up right away, so I plan on just leaving it alone as long as baby is okay. There is an ambulance post right down the street from us and I know the response time would be super-fast.

I am really trying to make the best out of having to go to the hospital. I made up a very specific birth plan, which my doctor signed off on , so hopefully I won't have any problems getting what I want at the hospital. I had been hoping to labor at home for a little while, but maybe it would be best, considering my history, to go ahead and go to the hospital as soon as I'm sure that I'm in labor.

Again, thank you, thank you for the prayers...I still have A LOT to do before this baby comes!

Dawn

P.S. I hope this post is coherent...I really need to get to bed

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2006 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I've actually always done better to go to the hospital, where I know that whatever happens, it's just fine, under control, etc. I know nobody wants too much of the *hospital's control* over their labor, and that's the reason for trying to stay home as long as possible. For me, though, I have a history of hemmorhage, and almost died (not being dramatic, just a fact) with my first (born in hospital; if I hadn't been there I would have died). Like I lost 7 units of blood in half an hour. That is not being shared to scare anybody who wants a homebirth, but I felt strongly after that that I WANTED to be in hospital where I felt safer. The instructions I received were to "come on down" when I'd had 2 contractions. I was generally there for 1-1 1/2 hours before delivering. Recognizing labor, doing last minute things, getting the other kids where they needed to be, etc., and then driving 30-45 minutes to the hospital took up enough time, so that I never got there way too early, but once there I felt I could relax and stop worrying.

FWIW.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Alcat
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Alcat

Hey Maddie,
In my area of NC the homebirth quotes I got were from $1500 for an apprentice to $2500 for an accomplished midwife. My insurance will cover so much of a regular doc/hospital birth- I pay like $800 out of pocket- but not all at once as with a midwife.
All the midwives assured me that my insurance would pick up some of the cost probably only 50%- %70 but I would have to pay upfront. We aren't poor, but we do live paycheck to paycheck.... so maybe for the next baby we can have a homebirth.
I'm ok with it all now because it is all in God's hands and He knows best just like with Nancy's experience, you just never know what is going to happen in childbirth.
My secret desire is to *oops* have the baby at home my ob said he would come over to my house and deliver if I couldn't make it (he's really a midwife trapped in a doc's body )

God Bless,
Alison

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Alcat wrote:
   My secret desire is to *oops* have the baby at home my ob said he would come over to my house and deliver if I couldn't make it (he's really a midwife trapped in a doc's body )

God Bless,
Alison

Alison,
Hey, I have that secret desire, too! That's exactly how our first homebirth happened! I wanted to have a homebirth, but didn't have the guts to switch providers mid-pregnancy. When I went into labor, it was very different from my first labor...I kept thinking, "oh, it's not time to go yet, this isn't as hard as it was the first time yet." Then, when I finally decided it was time to go to the hospital, I suddenly had the urge to push and Anna was born 8 min. later! It was really a great experience, but I wouldn't plan an unassisted homebirth. I don't mind if it just happens, though.   

Dawn

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

I'm working on putting together my just-in-case birth-at-home-or-in-the-car kit, and I'm wondering about sterilization...I know I probably won't need to cut the cord, but many of the instructions I've seen online suggest sterilizing scissors and shoelaces (to tie the cord off with) in boiling water before use. If we have this baby at home (or in the car) there may not be time for that. Is there a way to sterilize that stuff before hand so that it is ready to use if we need it?

Dawn

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version