Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Please answer a quick Morning ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

What time do you get up?   

(For extra credit: how many hours of sleep would you say you get?)

Thank you so much, friends, for taking a moment to answer my inquiry!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Ouch.. this one cuts to the bone for me. I get up anywhere from 7 to 9:30am. Depends on the week, how much insomnia I have, if dh is on nightshift, etc.

Not good... I do need 7-8 hours of sleep or I'm a grump.

If dh is on nightshift for several days, I tend to stay up late and can't sleep.

JoAnna, who almost *never* gets to bed before 11:30

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Nina,

My schedule has been pretty erratic lately. I'm a night owl by nature and my dh works 2nd shift, which means he doesn't get home until about 11:30pm. We often stay up late talking. I started the school year getting up between 7 and 7:30, but then I gradually shifted into getting up between 9 and 10 b/c dh and I were regularly up until about 1am. The kids go to bed late, too, between 10 and 11pm, so they will sleep that late, too. So, I'm still getting about 8 hours of sleep, it's just at a different time than people on a 1st shift schedule.

I'm trying to shift back into an earlier wake time...I think 8am would be a happy medium...just means I have to be in bed by midnight!

Dawn

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I've been getting up around 6:30 am. I probably get 6-7 hrs of sleep at night. Sometimes I'll get a half hour nap too.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Anytime between 5 and 9 am ~ really, it's that erractic, depends on the previous night, the kids, the baby the husband... Most of the time it's 7 though. I go to bed around midnight.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

My alarm goes off at 5:30 and I usually get up at about 6:00. I get about 6 hours not counting getting up with the twins.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I get up around 5:30. I don't mean to/want to and would rather sleep 'til 8 because I'm a night owl, but hubby wakes up around this time and when he kisses me goodbye to go downstairs and eat breakfast, I *have* to get up and chat with him for a bit before he leaves. Then I can rarely go back to sleep. So I have my Bible reading and prayer time right after he leaves. If I get a headache by 8:00 though I sleep 'til 9. but again the kids are usually up by then and it's hard to sleep when they're up and about. So I try to nap around 4 or 5 before I prepare dinner. LOL. I get 6 hours of sleep or so, I guess. I think I just TMI'd you.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote amyable

I wind up waking when the baby (toddler!) wakes. Typically, it is about 5-5:30, sometimes as late as 6:30. I'd prefer to go to bed earlier at night, but dh needs my company (and I his) so I stay up until 10:30 - 11 or so. The toddler still nurses at night (feels like ALL night , I only half-sleep through it ) so I probably get 6-7 interrupted hours.

With lots of chocolate, I'm fine with this.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

My youngest rises anywhere from 4:00 to 5/5:30 every day. Generally we both get up (meaning dh and I) - he makes coffee and goes back to bed. I stay up with the little guy and drink lots and lots of coffee.    Typically bedtime comes between 9:30 and 10. So that makes, roughly, about 7 hours a sleep a night. I could probably do with more, but that's where the coffee comes in.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Okay, you guys.

How DO you survive? How do you get through? Esp. those of you who are pregnant, what do you do (DAWN!?).   Do you drink coffee? Throughout the day? (Because I have insomnia and am waking all night and can't get BACK to sleep.)

Do some of you consider that your biology/temperament has made you so you need less sleep? I read in a Temperament book that Cholerics actually need less sleep and are of a heartier constitution and that Melancholics tend to need the most and are a weaker, more "high-need" constitution.

Awaiting your comments eagerly.

Oh, and thanks to all who responded!

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I get up at 7 or before. I try to get 8 hours of (interrupted) sleep a night. My husband knows that because I am pregnant, I usually take advantage of him when he is home. I take a nap on Saturday, Sunday, and every other Monday. Without these naps, I would not be able to function. Other days, I try to force myself to get through the day. I am finding that exercising is giving me a little more energy.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Oh, I am so glad you posted, Christine. I had forgotten about you being pregnant...prayers coming your way!   

and 2 yet-to-be-met

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

right now between 7 and 7:30.. I can occationally get up before then (did this morning) but consistently being up before 7 makes me tired no matter how much sleep I get. I try for 8-9 hours of sleep while pregnant and/or nursing since that means I'm waking up at least once at night.. I can function for days on 7-8 hours but then need more sleep to "catch up".

So going to bed around 11-11:30 and I'm just squeeking out my 8 hours of sleep.. dh is taking some vacation time next week and I will likely sleep extra on a few days at least.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I get up between 8 & 9; and lately I've been going to bed around 8 or 9 (but I'm 8 weeks pregnant). Usually I'd go to bed around 11 - midnight, but now I'm going to bed with my boys.

I need a minimum of 8 hours regularly to make me a sane person - preferably 8.5 - 9. I am a champion napper and take every opportunity to nap that presents itself (especially right now). I'm lucky that my DH has always supported me in my need to sleep/nap, even though he survives on 5-6 hours with little trouble.

Melanie
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Nina,

I forgot that I also usually take an afternoon nap w/ the littles...so that means I get about 10 hours of sleep, total. That seems like a lot, but I really need it when I'm pregnant.

I drink 1/2 to 1 cup of coffee in the morning. I find that if I do physical work (like the weekly housework) or walking in the morning, I'm pretty wiped out in the afternoon and I need the nap even more.

I can survive on 6 or 7 hours of sleep for a day or two, but not consistently. After I have a baby and I'm awake a lot at night, I tend to take several short naps during the day. I have gated off the living room so that the littles can't get into anything they're not supposed to and I just doze off while I'm nursing. It's sort of like a huge playpen.   

Dawn

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

First of all, Mary Ellen I am tired for you!! You are surviving on so little sleep! How do you do it?? And this too shall pass...kiss those babies for all of us here on Real Learning!

Nina, I was wondering the same question...how do these ladies do it on 6 hours of sleep? I am not pregnant, and on the occasion that I only get 5-6 hours, I feel like I've been hit by a truck the next day. I have done it on so little sleep during the days of new babies, and for me, it feels very, very hard. However, God has used my weakness in the area of sleep deprivation to increase my faith and grow me up spiritually. Sometimes I think my flesh is very weak.

I usually get up 6AMish (which I hate), and to bed by 10PM. I could easily sleep 10 hrs./night. I do drink coffee.

I also wonder if there is something to the temperment question...my mother swears that I have always had a huge need for sleep, since birth. I was one of those babies (rumor has it that they do exist) who from birth slept 10-12 hours straight. As a child, I went to bed at 7:30PM and slept until someone finally woke me up in the morning. My mother prayed HARD for me when my first baby was born, as she knew it would be a significant sacrifice of my flesh!! Sometimes though, when I see other moms suffering even less sleep, I do wonder if it is equally difficult for everyone. Or, if I'm just still a big baby...crying because I am too tired??

Interesting question...thanks Nina!

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Nina,

I thought this was ironic for my life. I was thinking of posting (like Cheryl does on her blog) my new habit was to get up before ds each day. I sleep late sometimes until 9:30. I am spoiled rotten by hubby that works at home.

Marybeth

PS I am embrassed to say how much I get...Mary Ellen is my new hero...twins and a Christmas blog on such little sleep.
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Nina,

I'm a melancholic with a little phlegmatic.

I was getting rather ashamed of how much sleeping I was doing and started clocking it -- and found I wasn't sleeping QUITE as much as I thought.   I usually get up at 7:30 but recently have been trying to get up just a leetle earlier to have a quarter hour before the little ones wake up and get going.

I go to sleep at varying times but usually between ten and midnight.   Husband is a night owl so if I want to see him come to bed I need to stay up later.

Every couple of weeks I stay up as late as I want for a treat -- I love the quiet house and catch up on blog reading, thinking, writing etc.

I make up the difference with a nap in the afternoon    It turns out to be about 8 hours a day on average, but some days 7 and some days 9 or more.   

I sleep a lot more when I'm pregnant though and in the early days of nursing.   Then it's probably 10 hours and even then I would probably sleep more if I got the chance.   I always feel like I'm swimming through molasses my whole first trimester or so or like when you have one of those dreams where your eyes won't ever open all the way.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Nina,
Great question! I was just talking to my sil today about how frustrated I am at my inability to get up before the kids...We do the family bed and sneaking out can be difficult. I made a resolution a few weeks ago and told dh to wake me up right before he leaves for Mass (around 6:20). He tried, and I failed...

I do have my four year old alarm clock who makes sure I'm up and adam between 7 and 7:30 most mornings. I usually go to sleep between 10 and 11. So, I am getting 9-10 hours of sleep most nights. I am pregnant and do seem to need this much rest when I am pregnant and/or nursing which has been the status quo for the last 11+ years!

When I am sleep-deprived, I am not a pretty sight. God, in His mercy, does not see fit to send me that cross often. He knows it would not benefit my family, AT ALL!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

I vary widely but I have found that some info. I learned during a "wellness" course in college does seem to be true. The info was: an hour of sleep before midnight is worth two hours after.

Our current baby is the first who has actually slept in our bed and I have come to love nursing him to sleep and dozing right off with him. I've had many a night since his arrival that I've been asleep by 8:30 or 9....and then I'm able to be up between 4 and 5 a.m. Now, this doesn't happen every day...but I love it when I can. I get laundry folded and computer stuff done...and I enjoy the quiet!

I've always had trouble with early to mid afternoon sleepiness and the last 4 months or so have really been better. The only thing that I can attribute it to is the earlier bedtime (note: it's 8:45 now and I'm no where near going to sleep tonight!).

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version