Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Blog Writing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I glad you brought this up, Bridget! Blogging is so much fun, isn't it? But you are so right, sometimes something happens that will paralyze you for some reason. I've been extra concerned about grammar/spelling stuff after I posted Yet another reason to homeschool, and received an anonymous comment on it. I've left it up because I've actually gotten more IRL comments on that one anonymous comment but I'm just beginning to unfreeze a bit.

As far as blogging goes, I try to post things that are unique to us as well as common to all, liveaboards are people too, even if we are floaty! And my husband and daughter post sometimes too, which is a whole 'nother bag of worms, talk about control issues!

I like to read blogs that seem to have a unique voice, pretty soon it's like I can recognize that writing - oh, Theresa wrote that, or Dawn, or Cay...or you! and I think that comes about by being true to yourself.    

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

marihalojen wrote:

As far as blogging goes, I try to post things that are unique to us as well as common to all, liveaboards are people too, even if we are floaty! And my husband and daughter post sometimes too, which is a whole 'nother bag of worms, talk about control issues!     

I loved your contribution to the kitchen fair. Wish we'd seen a bedroom one ...My dh really enjoys your blog (he sent links to the "reason to homeschool" to a dozen or so people). I think one of the reasons he enjoys it so much is that it IS different and he'd really like to live on a boat...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Elizabeth wrote:
...My dh really enjoys your blog (he sent links to the "reason to homeschool" to a dozen or so people). I think one of the reasons he enjoys it so much is that it IS different and he'd really like to live on a boat...

I think your family would look great on a catamaran!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

marihalojen wrote:
I glad you brought this up, Bridget! Blogging is so much fun, isn't it? But you are so right, sometimes something happens that will paralyze you for some reason. I've been extra concerned about grammar/spelling stuff after I posted Yet another reason to homeschool, and received an anonymous comment on it. I've left it up because I've actually gotten more IRL comments on that one anonymous comment but I'm just beginning to unfreeze a bit.

Oh, that commenter just needs to lighten up! That sign was fall-outta-the-chair funny and deserved every ounce of ridicule it got!! I wouldn't give them a second thought.
My whole family LOVES your blog (especially my little sailor wannabe)!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

lapazfarm wrote:
I have the same question! I often wonder about that because sometimes a post I write that I think won't get much feedback actually gets alot, and those that I think will get feedback actually don't! LOL!

Theresa,
You are not alone. In fact, you're in good company.

Read what author Shannon Hale (author of Princess Academy, Goose Girl )writes on her blog.

"river secrets now has THREE starred reviews, one from Kirkus, Booklist, and Publisher's Weekly. (princess academy received two starred reviews, and goose girl one, not that I'm keeping track.) This is very cool. It truly is amazing to me how I absolutely cannot anticipate how people will react to each new book. I thought enna burning would rock everyone's world. (I thought princess academy would flop.) "

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Bridget wrote:
I'm thinkin' this blogging thing is really fun, better than scrapbooking!

My intention for my blog is to just be sort of a journal.

That's it Bridget!!!You are the last straw!! I have caved in, I've finally signed up for a blog. I have been thinking for a while that I don't keep records of our schooling very well, nor do I always record those cute sayings that I may forget. Really it can't be more time-consuming than writing all the boring things in my school journal can it?

I told dh that I was going to set it up, and as he wasn't so enthusiastic I would only tell family at first and see how I go. Well I fgure you are family, my sisters in Christ

lapazfarm wrote:

Mostly for me, I am looking for humor, great ideas I might steal on homeschooling or homemaking, resources, or just general inspiration.

Theresa,
I read your blog often and dont' post comments Just wanted to let you know I like your layout so much I have decided to use your provider you recommended in another thread. It is SO easy. That's one thing that put me off, I thought it would be hard to do. It's not.

BTW Bridget, I'm enjoying your blog.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Erin, I think you'll be happy with HSJ. I think it is the best free provider out there.
Glad you like the new layout. I tend to change themes with the seasons!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Theresa, I do that too I love the homeschooljournal format.

Bridget, your blog is really nice. Don't be embarrassed!

When I get writer's block about my blog, it's usually because I'm comparing it to someone else's (why do I do that!). So then, I try to think of what I will be glad I wrote in 10 or 20 years. That gets me back to what my blog is really supposed to be.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version