Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Blog Writing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I'm thinkin' this blogging thing is really fun, better than scrapbooking!

My intention for my blog is to just be sort of a journal. I figured the only people that would read it would be a few online friends. Wrong. A slew of relatives, many non-Catholic, my SIL's whole department of co-workers, teachers whom my dh trained using my blog as a sample ... are reading it.

Now I'm nervous. Now, for the first time, I wish I had college courses, at least in writing.

Sometimes I think I just sound like a bad imitation of whoever’s blog I read last. I wake up at night wondering if my grammar was correct. Or if what I wrote made any sense. Or if I was a good witness to the faith.   This is crazy, does anyone else do this to themselves?

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

LOLOL. Bridget, don't worry. You're not alone. I've been doing it to myself for two years. Every month I go through "I'm not good enough to be doing this. How dare I inflict my opinions and bad writing on other people? Maybe I should cancel my hosting. Maybe I should turn off the comments, so I can be left alone with my unworthy thoughts. Maybe I should move to a different domain name so no one can find me and I can start fresh."   

But then it's also therapeutic. And I think good training for those of us who want to learn to write better. And blogging I can handle. Scrapbooking -- yikes! I have the supplies downstairs, where they've been sitting in boxes for four years. Still waiting for the basement to get REALLY organized (it's not doing it by itself even though I've told it many many times!).

I'm glad you posted this. I wish sometimes we could have a private peer review thing -- I really could use help with my writing, but don't know if I'll ever have the time for journalism classes, or at least not for a couple of years.    What I'm trying to do right now is read as much as I can, books on reading, writing, (The Writer's Jungle is helping me out a lot even though I got it to help my kids!), etc. (But maybe there will be takers out there? For peer reviewing, I mean?)

Right now I'm just writing on stuff I know and love -- food and books. I don't have the courage to share what I write about my faith -- it's in a blog, but not a lot of people know about it -- I'm afraid I'll confuse or mislead them instead of inspire them .

There *is* something I read somewhere: the unfortunate thing about blogging is that people write and then just leave it out there (sorry, can't remember the source, may have been TWJ also). They don't re-read, edit, rewrite, etc. So I try to do those things every once in a while.    And I ask my blogging kids to review and re-edit their posts once in a while. And I keep looking for online classes, workshops, short classes at the community college that maybe can help when I'm ready for those.

hth,

ps, oh, and bridget, just for the record, i *love* your blog! it certainly helps me!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I think it's easy to feel a responsibility to present ourselves...stay-at-home moms, homeschoolers...

But what opportunities!

So, yes, I want to make sure my grammar and spelling are first-rate....

Maybe your olders can edit for you? (not that you need it - you have a lovely blog - but just an idea to help you feel more relaxed?)... Hmmmm....I'm thinking...that might be fun to do together....and practical!

I wonder if I'm not another voice in the crowd, but I really did my blog as a way to chronicle at least a part of our lives. That was the motivation. I can print out the entries and then we have a diary for the day...it's only a snippet....but it's more than I'd have if I were doing it by hand!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bridget,

I have that kind of thinking. I originally set up my blog for a few reasons, one to keep a kind of journal, because the writing kind wasn't happening, nor were the pictures getting into albums or on display. Secondly, I have a long term goal of getting a book done on the liturgical year, so I wanted to keep my creative juices flowing on ideas to implement (and practice with my own family) and practice writing.

But my writing is terrible. I change tense, struggle to find good phrases. But somemtimes I want to get the post up...I take too long to put it together. In all my writing I've had to do many rough drafts and edits. But I like to give myself goals and time frames, so when time's up, it's not perfect...but life must go on, and that's the important goal.

I go back and check and reread and edit and polish. And in the middle of the night I think of a better way to turn a phrase, or something I forgot.

Karen E. and Elizabeth are professional writers and do such a lovely job. My words don't flow as easily as theirs. I try to get inspired by them, but not compare. I'm in a different league, and I'm keeping my eyes on my own work.

In the end, it's an exercise for me...but it's also an exercise in humility. I am revealing myself -- weaknesses, flaws, even if it's just how I write.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Funny, I didn't even think about it as long as I thought just my lovely, kind friends from here and MO were reading it.

Now I'm trying not to feel as if I have to produce something. I don't want to have an agenda based on who I think might be reading. I just want it to be an outgrowth of my mothering... with improved writing.

Men don't agonize over this kind of thing.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

JennGM wrote:

Karen E. and Elizabeth are professional writers and do such a lovely job. My words don't flow as easily as theirs. I try to get inspired by them, but not compare. I'm in a different league, and I'm keeping my eyes on my own work.

In the end, it's an exercise for me...but it's also an exercise in humility. I am revealing myself -- weaknesses, flaws, even if it's just how I write.

There ya go! Thats my problem. i can't keep my eyes on my own work, and could use more humility as well.

The funny thing is my parents are writers. They're brilliant. But my education was so poor, that I haven't just 'picked it up' from them.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I go back and edit constantly and it's still not perfect. But, since I'm not perfect, I try not to take it personally.

I worry more about people getting lots of link notices on the same post because I edit so many times. Many times the changes are due to moving a photo around or adding a link.

What I've had on my mind lately is:
What are people coming to my blog looking for?

That's what I'd really like to know so I could have an avenue to follow.

Does anyone have a mission statement for their blog?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Bridget wrote:
[QUOTE=JennGM]
The funny thing is my parents are writers. They're brilliant. But my education was so poor, that I haven't just 'picked it up' from them.

Bridget,
You are perfect just the way you are. I Love your blog.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Cay Gibson wrote:

I have the same question! I often wonder about that because sometimes a post I write that I think won't get much feedback actually gets alot, and those that I think will get feedback actually don't! LOL! Apparently I have no idea what others look for in my blog or in blogs in general.
Mostly for me, I am looking for humor, great ideas I might steal on homeschooling or homemaking, resources, or just general inspiration.
And I really don't care about the grammar and spelling. I figure if folks don't care for my writing style they just won't bother to come back to my blog. Which may actually be happening as I have not had many comments lately. But I attribute that mainly to school starting up and folks being busier. At least I hope so.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay Gibson wrote:

No mission statement over here.

I'm coming to your blog to visit you in cyberworld. It's the closest I can get to coming over and sharing a cup of coffee in the kitchen. I'm coming over to get inspiration similar to Theresa's list. My interest is more narrow than others, as I have a preschooler.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

JennGM wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:

No mission statement over here.

I'm coming to your blog to visit you in cyberworld. It's the closest I can get to coming over and sharing a cup of coffee in the kitchen.

I am very new to blogging (and posting) - just since late July - but I have been happily visiting you all in the cyberworld for much longer. Why do I visit a given blog? Because it is an open door to share in and learn from your experiences. Sometimes I find a wonderful resource for schooling, your thoughtful or wry comments on a family happening, a delicious recipe, or a reflection on faith. I visit because, like JennGM said, it is like spending time with someone you are fond of even though they may be far away physically.   

Do I have a mission statement? No, but whether it is for myself or for any readers that might stop by, I want to focus on the goodness and joy in my simple corner of the world, in motherhood, in my faith, in homeschooling, in creativity etc. Not in a Pollyanaish way, but one that is true and grateful for all the little blessings in life. I think of my little blog Lettres de mon Moulin (Letters from my Windmill) as being off in a quiet corner of the net, in the oaks and sweet gums, so I don't worry too much about punctuation or spelling. If someone hikes all the way up the cyber hill, they will see that like the owner, it is a bit rustic with few bells and whistles. It's not the Ritz Carlton, but that's OK.

-- Marjorie
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I usually write about whatever I'm thinking about (it's my thoughtful spot, you know) or taking pictures of...very much like scrapbooking or journaling. I don't worry about it. If people don't like it, they don't have to read it, right?

Now you have me thinking...what if I knew my family and real life friends were reading my blog? I went and checked out my blog. Is there anything they shouldn't be reading? Why haven't I given anyone who knows me well my address? Interesting...

Bridget, I don't think you're crazy. I think I may have some fears myself. You may have motivated me to REALLY go public with this blogging thing.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Bridget, I don't have a blog but I just wanted you to know that I love yours.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I know my family members read my blog and my standard is simple; be who I say I am and don't write anything I wouldn't say in front of someone else (whoever it may be).

I do try to check grammar and spelling but I know I miss things and that's OK because it proves I'm not perfect. I write whatever strikes me, whenever I am in the mood and have the time.

I change my blog theme frequently because I am weird like that. "Redecorating" my blog is fun for me and much easier and less expensive than constantly redecorating my house.

My one sister always tells me how she loves my blog. She's very lonely (single, divorced, boyfriend of 8 years died suddenly 2 years ago) and it's a way we stay connected because she doesn't live near me.

FWIW Bridget I think your blog is lovely.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I haven't told anyone I know in real life about my blog... but then again, I have a problem with people I know reading my stories, too. I have a lot of writer friends, and we all seem to have that problem of worrying about what other people will think of *us* after they read what we write. It's not what people will think about the writing itself... because at a certain point I think that an author becomes the writing --any kind of writing, really, but especially personal writing, such as that in a blog or a story -- so that it can be really hard to push that writing out into the world and *not* worry about it.

So, for instance, I worry that...

If I make a typo, then people will think I can't spell, that I'm not all that smart, and why should they listen to anything I say anyway...

People I know in real life won't want to have anything to do with me after they read what I write because they'll discover that I'm really a loon...

(The list goes on, but I won't inflict it on you.)

Anyway, at some point I just have to click the publish button. Sometimes it feels as much like jumping off a cliff as submitting a story to an editor does.

Personally, I like it when people are just themselves in blogs. I like blogs that chronicle daily happenings. I like blogs that talk about being Catholic, because I am a revert trying to figure out all the stuff I missed growing up. I like blogs that are serious and blogs that are funny. I like blogs with pictures and blogs without them. I like to read people's schedules and plans. I like to read the little essays that some people write. I like to read blogs in which people don't write little essays.

Mostly I like blogs because it lets me get to know people, and to feel less alone. I like blogs because they're like letter writing used to be. I am also learning a lot from the blogs I read -- probably more than I have learned in most of the homeschooling books I've read.

Anyway, all this is to say that I believe "if you write it, they will come."

And maybe I ought to actually take the plunge and tell my mother that I have a website.

--Angela
Mom to 3+2
Three Plus Two
Wild Things
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Noooo, Angela. Don't tell your mother!!!

Just kidding. It really depends on how your relationship is with yours.

My mom and I have an awesome relationship -- since I got married it just keeps getting better and better. There's more mutual respect now, etc.

However!!! She has somehow decided that when I say things in my blog, it is personally addressed TO HER. e.g., when I said in my blog that I try to avoid plastic now in the house and don't buy disposables and when we have a party I use "real plates", the next time I came to visit them she made sure we weren't eating on disposables, because "I remember you don't like these anymore". yikes! another time I worried about my teen and something that happened while she was with them (but not their fault) and I still haven't heard the end of it... she does the same thing with my brothers' blogs -- reads them and then calls us to "respond". I don't mean to make it sound like she's a terrible person, she's my lifeline, my dearest best friend and I love her to death, but sometimes she doesn't get that blogs are just my way of "thinking aloud" or that not everything I write is directed at her or her life choices.

Bridget, another note: I have several blogger friends IRL and often we go back and forth with this blogging for yourself vs. blogging for an audience question. We've pretty much decided that blogging for yourself, for your reasons, needs to be #1 (unless you're getting paid to do it, which is a different matter altogether). The audience will be there whether you like it or not (it is a public journal after all) and there will be critics and naysayers, but there will also be lots of friendship, acceptance, commonality, love, to keep it fun and motivating for you.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I came to blogging after 14 years of writing a family life column--different medium, same basic principle. and I have found over the years that pretty much everyone thinks at one time or another that something I write is pointed to him or her. And it rarely is. The thing is that we write about things that are universal. We think they're unique but they are usually shared. So, if we are introspective and share discoveries about ourselves, people wonder how you know that about them! And if we are just kicking back observing suburbia in general and comment on a prevalent trait (particularly one that could be sinful) everyone who lives around you and reads your stuff and has that trait figures you are writing about her specifically. Can be tricky sometimes. But I do it. Because it's that or not write at all and I happen to be a compuslive writer. I think in narrative. I lie awake at night turning phrases in my head. All of life is a story. With blogging, I can finally add pictures to the story !

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

You all were very encouraging and sensible and I relaxed about it all. Then I found out that a priest friend of ours read it and now I'm paralyzed again!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Bridget, your blog is just lovely! I know what you mean, though - and what many have said here - about wondering what people might think. About the content and style. Early on when I started blogging (all of 6 months ago, LOL ) I sweated over every little detail. And that was back when not many people were reading. Word of mouth is an incredible thing. You'll be amazed at how many people are reading! I too have friends, relatives - relatives' friends, friends' relatives - reading! I try to just be myself and hope that someone reading my blog - even if they are not homeschooling, or Catholic, or interested in my topics - at least they get a sense of who we are as a family and find it a nice place to be even if just for a few minutes. I try not to think about it too much, but it is disconcerting sometimes when I go back and read a post and then think "Now what did Aunt so-and-so think about THAT?"

As far as a mission statement, I do not have one. Like Cay and Theresa, I do wonder sometimes what people are looking for, but I pretty much just write what comes up in my life.

As far as writing, well, at one point I wrote for a living, but it has been y-e-a-r-s. I am very rusty, but like Jenn, I often just like to get the post out there. I try to re-read it once it's up, check the links and all, to be sure it's at least coherent!

I just love everyone's blogs. I love being able to visit with you all, when I know we can't do that in person.

Sorry I've rambled - see that's my problem! Over-saying things.

God bless!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Bridget wrote:
You all were very encouraging and sensible and I relaxed about it all. Then I found out that a priest friend of ours read it and now I'm paralyzed again!

A retired priest in our parish approached my mother with something he had read by Danielle Bean and Sr. so-in-so about Catholic Mosaic and was I the Cay Gibson they were talking about???    My mother assured him I was the one and there was a mini-surge of interest.

Embarrassing to say the least and, since I'm easily embarrassed, it doesn't help living in a town where I was born and raised. People "know" me, and they know I'm not at all holy and my family is not at all perfect, though some might think we are and are watching for us to fall on our face.

Knowing who reads my blog, I try to be honest. Sometimes it isn't the prettiest picture that I paint but I would never want someone to say, "You aren't that funny (or) You aren't that perfect." I try to keep it real while still making it a pleasant place to visit.

I never advertise my blog but I have reason to believe that some of the area hsers read it but they seldom comment. People seem to be quite shy about putting things into print and aren't as big a computer geek as I am . I know someone by the name of Heidi who knows us both and reads our posts here, Bridget, but I can't talk her into posting here.

I know my mother and best friend read my blog and my aunt/godmother takes great pleasure in letting long-lost cousins know where they can read about my life. And my dh takes even greater pride in telling people (when they ask about my writing) to go "google" my name. I stand there wishing the earth would swallow me whole.

But, like Elizabeth remarked, there is little that compulsive writers can do...except write about it.

mom to 5

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version