Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: The Crocodile Hunter - RIP Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 04 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Sarah wrote:
My boys, like yours will be crushed. Today is my snake hunter's b-day. My son will be sad that Steve died on his b-day.

My little Joseph turned four yesterday when this happened (we are 3/4 of a day ahead of time) too, so we will never forget his anniversary date.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 04 2006 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

We are so sad about this... My heart just aches for his family. He and they are in our prayers.

Marie and family
Back to Top View MarieA's Profile Search for other posts by MarieA

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 2:49am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

When one of my sons was in Africa a few years ago, word got out over there that the Crocodile Hunter had died, then it turned out to be a hoax. Now my dc are mourning him all over again. He brought a lot of joy-and learning!-to a lot of people. We'll keep him in our prayers.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I've been just so almost paralyzed/stunned with sadness since yesterday over the death of Steve Irwin. My heart is breaking.

My kids are sad to hear of his death, they grew up watching him. But they're not sad like a little child is sad, they're teens and a tween, so they're handling it in their own way.

I feel almost sorta alone in my grief (though I know they're sad too, just not like I am). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels such sadness.

I found a place to email the Australian Zoo, so sent an email from our family to the *Australian Zoo Family*, because they were truly a family from watching them on *Crock Diaries*. My heart is breaking for all of them, particularly of course for Terri and the kids.

I honestly feel like I've lost a friend. I feel like we've all lost a real friend who really cared so much about God's creation, and about all those he met. He just lived his life with abundant joy, and exploded love for so many around him, including the creatures he loved so much too. But he also respected people so much too, and so because of that, his message was so well received by so many.

There are times I just start tearing up thinking about the fact that he's no longer here. I had been told he died before too, only to find thankfully that it was a rumor/hoax. I knew if it wasn't on the news, it couldn't have been true, because he's so beloved.

This time, it's so real, and we know it to be real, but still can't believe it, even though deep down, we know it's real. He just lived life so much to the fullest, that it's hard to believe he's not invincible. He was just so savvy with wildlife, that I just didn't think something like this would ever happen. In fact, I'm still in the disbelief stage, I suppose, even though I know it to be true.

When I think about this man, and his legacy, I am so thankful that God put him here to teach us the so many wonderful lessons we learned, and to watch him live life to the fullest. To have affected people in such a way really says so much about the legacy he has left.

We too are lifting him, his family, and his zoo family in prayer. May God bring peace to them through this difficult time, and comfort them with His love as only He can.       

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Here is a cartoon published in the The Australian newspaper:

I think heaven is asking why he hadn't gotten there sooner considering he lived life on the edge!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

The children and I just watched a tribute to Steve Irwin on Australia's Channel 9 with Ray Martin and John Stainton (Steve's manager) - I really hope they show it over there - it was wonderful!!

They interviewed so many who had known him, worked with him, had their lives changed by him - some incredible and always hilarious footage (featuring some with the Wiggles, Jay Leno etc.)

They were discussing a funny story of when Steve would fly to the States. As he was about to hop off the plane, knowing he would be inundated and wanting a little privacy, he would pop in his enormous, fake, splayed, buck teeth, google-like spectacles, army hat and John said that as they walked down the airport aisle and people would be deliberately diverting their eyes from him in embarrassment, he was that ugly!! Incognito was never so much fun!     

I've said it before, but more than ever I realise what a good, decent, honest and very special bloke he was.

I feel like crying again

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Anne,
I hope you're doing better. I loved the cartoon! I was thinking, *Steve would be laughing right now if he read it!*

Thanks for the laugh as we get through this sad time.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank you for your posts. Although I can't say that we're big fans just because we don't watch much tv, when I heard the news, I felt so uneasy and disturbed. Reading your posts has helped me to feel better.

Thank you, especially, Anne.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I drove up the coast to do my usual fortnight organic shopping and we drove past, of course that was the morning of the big televised memorial, so it was incredibly chaotic to say the least! We couldn't just pull over and take a photo on the side of the road, so we drove in and walked down to the park to look at all the tributes to Steve. Here are some photos to share with you all.

It is not very personal, I know, but I put a little note on behalf of the families who would want to be remembered on the books at his zoo.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Oh, this was so thoughtful of you, Anne.
Thank you.

We were watching the tribute last night. What a gift this man was.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thank you Anne. This will mean alot to my boy.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 3:33am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thought you would all be interested to know that Bindi Irwin, Steve's daughter is homeschooled But then when you think about it its hardly surprising. A very confident and self- assured young girl.

Here is a mention of it. Also links to the memorial.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 4:44am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Here is a Croc Hunter Lapbook available, I don't really know anything about it, but someone passed this info onto me and I thought I would post it here, in case it would be of interest to some.

Erin wrote:
Thought you would all be interested to know that Bindi Irwin, Steve's daughter is homeschooled But then when you think about it its hardly surprising. A very confident and self- assured young girl

She DID speak very well, didn't she? So very confident too! I have meet many other similar homeschooling children like this, so it does add up in many respects.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Thank you, Anne. That is SO sweet of you! It helps me to know our love was put in that book tangibly. I've been praying so much for their family this week as they go through the memorial service, etc.

I am not at ALL surprised that Bindi is homeschooled. I'm sure they taught her so many things as they traveled, and it would be the best education for their family's situation.

God bless you, Anne!

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

That was beautiful, Anne.

Thank you for doing this on our behalf.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Erin wrote:
Thought you would all be interested to know that Bindi Irwin, Steve's daughter is homeschooled But then when you think about it its hardly surprising. A very confident and self- assured young girl.

Here is a mention of it. Also links to the memorial.

I wondered about that and combed the crocodile hunter's website for mention of it but found nothing.

I also searched around for Steve's educational profile. Like...did he go to college??? I came up with zilch.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Thanks Anne. This is so very sad. We appreciate your sharing.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

Cay,
I found a site that said that he was "college educated", but didn't say where he went to school. I won't send you a link though because it was an atheist site.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Patty LeVasseur wrote:
Cay,
I found a site that said that he was "college educated",

I sure hope someone can answer my question and identify the school. I'm having a really hard time visually Steve Irwin sitting in a college classroom...in any classroom PERIOD.

mom to 5

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 21 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Cay Gibson wrote:
I sure hope someone can answer my question and identify the school. I'm having a really hard time visually Steve Irwin sitting in a college classroom...in any classroom PERIOD.

On the official web site of the Australia Zoo it is listed as a "Frequently Asked Question." Here is a link to the response which indicates he studied part time at the Darling Downs Institute of Advanced Education. That is still vague as too how much he studied there and when.

And I also am not surprised to hear Bindi is homeschooled. When I heard her speak at the memorial I was amazed at her poise and knowledge. I wondered then if she was.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version