Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: book recommendations for non-Catholic.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote kristina

Dear Christina,

Just reading your posts is so inspiring to me. This message board is a beautiful place to be online and you have asked some terrific questions. Some of your same questions were the same ones I had.

I became Catholic almost ten years ago and it has fostered the gift of faith, and given me true hope for eternity. Becoming catholic made me feel HOME. I wish I could clarify that better, but my prayer for you is that you will have such peace and joy one day and can recognize that all of your experiences thus far are part of God's plan for you.    

God bless your search for truth and what is right for your family. I echo all of the wonderful advice you have received... especially the advice to spend time with our Lord in church. He is in our hearts, but He is substantially present in the tabernacle of every Catholic Church.

Catholicity offers free recordings that they will send to you (donations optional). They have Scott Hahn's story as well as Fr. John Corapi's (my husband's favorite).

Another choice to gather information is listening to programs online. EWTN's Website offers many of their series to listen to in audio format. Just type Scott Hahn (or any other catholic speaker) in the search box to hear the programs.

Christina, You will be in my prayers.

God Bless you and your dear ones,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

ChristinaK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote ChristinaK

I have another question. I am seeing a lot of mention of the RCIA classes in the materials I've been looking at. I looked up the classes on the website for our local church and see that they are weekly for 2 hours on a Tuesday night from late August through Easter. I can't attend a weekly class for that long. My DH is a firefighter and works an insane number of hours with a crazy schedule. He is rarely available to watch the boys in the evenings so I would not have any one to watch them every week. Is class attendance the only way to convert if that is what I decide to do? This would be a huge obstacle to me at this point.
Back to Top View ChristinaK's Profile Search for other posts by ChristinaK Visit ChristinaK's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

ChristinaK wrote:
Is class attendance the only way to convert if that is what I decide to do? This would be a huge obstacle to me at this point.

Not necessarily. You would have to speak to the pastor and explain your situation but in most cases things can be worked out. It really depends on how much instruction you need because it can vary greatly from person to person.

That being said, classes done well can really be a benefit to you. At our parish we do offer childcare for our RCIA group so check with the parish first because they may offer that as well.

For our group it's not just babysitting but we do things (songs, games stories etc.) to start familiarizing the children with Catholicism as well. If your children are over the age of eight and you want them to join the church as well they will need to go through a children's version of RCIA - again depending on how the parish does things.

I'm sorry if this isn't a helpful answer - it really does depend on the parish and the person.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Christina,
     Welcome to the boards here! You are most welcome here.

This is a series I'm using with our children this year. This site is the Catholic Answers website, but the book series is the *Beginnings Apologetics 9 book series*, and is an excellent resource to explain the Catholic faith! Beginnings Apologetics series

Another good resource is Bible Christian Society John Martignoni offers *free (well you pay for shipping) CDs/tapes that are very helpful in explaining the Catholic faith.

On the Catholic Answers website, you can listen to the show Catholic Answers Live, which is a program where they answer many people's questions, including non-Catholics. Here is that show:
Catholic Answers Live Radio show You can even call the show when it's on live (3 pm Pacific time, and 4 pm Pacific time).

You can click on any show (on the day), and they have them recorded, so if you download (or have) Realplayer (free download), you can listen to any past show. You can also listen to them live every day for two, one hour shows. My particular favorite is Tim Staples. He is fantastic in explaining the faith. Patrick Madrid is also excellent. They're all wonderful!

I just LOVE The Journey Home show! It's wonderful. There was an excellent man on this week. I learned a lot from him. I'm always learning more, our faith is so rich! There may be an encore presentation on sometime this week. You can probably see online at EWTN's website, or in your paper. But the encore presentation is usually on really late. I sometimes tape it.

I am a re-vert to the Catholic faith. I was Catholic through 8th grade, and catechised through 8th grade. I then left the Church, and became Presbyterian. I was there for about 7 or 8 years, until God called me home again. My story is quite incredible (Praise be to God), but I'll save that for another day. I praise Him every single day that I'm home in the fullness of the truth of our precious Church. I will be lifting you in prayer. May God bless you in ways you can't even yet imagine!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

amethyst
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote amethyst

Hi Kristina

I am on my journey converting to the Catholic faith. My husband was raised Catholic, but when we met he was attending a Baptist church (where we married). Praise God we have been led *home* now and I have grown so much in my appreciation of those who over the centuries have stayed true to the Catholic Church so that we can now benefit.
A book that I found particularly helpful was "A Philadelphia Catholic in King James Court" by Martin de Porres Kennedy. It is a Catholic Apologetics novel and written in such a way that you learn the truth about many misconceptions that Protestants have about the Catholic faith. There is a study guide you can use with it that I recommend as well.
The Scott Hahn books are very good, and if you can take some time out to listen to the many teachings he has given that are available over the internet I think you will have many of your questions answered.
Here are some links to his talks -
Scott Hahn

Digging deep into the Catholic faith will bring you a depth of spiritual wealth you cannot imagine.
Back to Top View amethyst's Profile Search for other posts by amethyst Visit amethyst's Homepage

ChristinaK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote ChristinaK

I went to the library yesterday to see what books I could find. The library didn't have any of the books ya'll recommended so I'll be ordering some of those. I'll also be listening to some of the audio resources listed as soon as I get a chance.

I decided to start with the books I could find at the library. I picked up:

The Essential Catholic Handbook
An American Catholic Catechism
I Like Being Catholic: Treasured Traditions, Rituals, and Stories
What Makes Us Catholic: Eight Gifts for Life Thomas Groome
Let Me Tell You About My Savior Maria Von Trapp
The Saints Guide to Happiness Robert Ellsburg

I am starting with the handbook and the catechism.

No matter what the outcome of my search, I feel blessed by finding this site. The warm welcomes I have received along with all the helpful answers, prayers, and stories shared have blessed me. I really appreciate all your kindness.
Back to Top View ChristinaK's Profile Search for other posts by ChristinaK Visit ChristinaK's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

ChristinaK wrote:
I decided to start with the books I could find at the library. I picked up:

An American Catholic Catechism

Hmm.. I'm not sure what this is and might be wary of it.
There are some "so called "catechisms" that aren't accurate. Can you tell us who the author is?

This is the official universal catechism;
and available free online several places but my favorite being here
It's also available in a mass market paperback and looks like this:

This is the compendium of the catechism:

Also available to read online for free here

And this is the brand new United States Catholic Catechism for Adults
which is also very good.

Personally I would stick to these catechisms.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

ChristinaK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote ChristinaK

http://www.amazon.com/American-Catholic-Catechism-George-Dye r/dp/0866839542/sr=8-1/qid=1157037122/ref=sr_1_1/102-6036560 -1378500?ie=UTF8

Here's a link to it on Amazon. It's not very informative though.

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Tracy, thank you so much for that link. I had no idea you could listen to their radio show through the internet. Dh and i listened to a few shows before going to bed last night. They're wonderful!! Thank you again!
Back to Top View graciefaith's Profile Search for other posts by graciefaith

ChristinaK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 01 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote ChristinaK

I checked into the RCIA classes and they have childcare so I was all set to start next week. Last night I talked to DH about it and he said he didn't think I should go. He doesn't think it is what I am looking for and that we just need to work on creating our own traditions.

I could push the issue and go but I have found over the years that it is not good for our relationship for me to do that. Submission is a tough issue for me but I know in my heart that I shouldn't go if he doesn't think I should.

I'm not sure where I am going from here but I guess I'll figure something out.

I'll be lurking around the boards because you ladies have some really wonderful ideas about educating your children.

Thank you again for all the warm welcomes, suggestions and prayers. I really do appreciate them.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2006 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

God may be protecting you through your dh (he does that for me often, even when it seems funny and long before my dh was even Christian). I don't know the area you are in, but our experience has been that you need to be very, very careful with RCIA. My dh went to 7 before the CCC came out and the CCC along with a good sponsor was lots better than any local RCIA. He was given plenty of goofy information at the RCIAs he attended which, imo, slowed down the whole process. So I guess my caution is that if and when you are really wanting to pursue entry into the Catholic church, ask around and make sure you get a solid RCIA.

I know several people here locally who simply studied -looking for information to answer Biblical or tradition questions and basically educated themselves to the point of conviction. At that point they approached the pastor and basically were given the option of private sessions rather than the RCIA without even asking for this.

If you just want to study traditions to try and incorporate those into your own family, there are plenty of books that just describe some of the celebrations of the liturgical year and a bunch of moms on this board generally post ideas for major feasts. There are idea books at Seton, CHC, and often in local parish bookstores, especially for things like Advent, lent, etc.

Another source of simply getting information is to read the Church Fathers from the early church.

And, welcome to these boards. It is a great group of folks spread all over.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version