Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Anyone have a SET Baking Day? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 3:47am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I have two kitchen days. One for baking and one for meat prep for the freezer.

On the baking day we always do bread and pizza dough for the freezer. Then we add muffins, quick breads... whatever we feel like that week.

The meat prep day I cook and chop chicken for the freezer and make broth. I will brown ground beef and season some for tacos and make spaghetti sauce.

(I would love to see that 6 week muffins mix too!)

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

For those of you who make and freeze pizza dough- a few questions.
At what stage is the proper one to freeze it? Do you let it rise once and pound it down before freezing, or do you freeze it right away after kneading it?
And do you coat it with oil before freezing?
Do you freeze it in ziplocks?
When you thaw it out, how does it affect rising? Do you thaw it in the fridge or in a warm place?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I don't know what the 'proper' stage would be. I just freeze it in a freezer bag as soon as I am done kneading it. I don't oil it.

The day I want to make pizza I take two out and let them thaw till dinner. They rise a little after they thaw.

The dough for one loaf of bread is the right size for one jelly roll pan pizza.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 1:40am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Sorry ladies, we were in the mountains escaping the heat and I didn't see all your requests for 6-week muffins. Here's the recipe as it was given to me, and I'll add at the end the modifications I've tried. (I bake like I homeschool )

Six Week Muffins

1 15oz box raisin bran
1 cup oil
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 Qt buttermilk
5 cups flour
5 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
2 tsp allspice or cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla

Mix the dry ingredients and add the wet. Do not overmix. Store up to 6 weeks in airtight container in fridge. Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes.

Modifications (for a healthier muffin).

I have used straight bran flakes and added my own (unsweetened) raisins. I have successfully halved the oil and used half applesauce instead. I have also reduced the sugar quite a bit and they still taste good to us. Sometimes I use some brown and some white sugar. I can't get buttermilk here, so sour regular milk with vinegar and that works fine. I usually use all wholewheat pastry flour and that works fine, or I use half regular wholewheat and half white flour.

Enjoy!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 4:52am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jen L. wrote:
Erin wrote:
Ds11 makes fantastic chocolate muffins, they are a must!

Erin,
Would you mind sharing the recipe??

Jen,

Here is the receipe:

Dominic's Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

4 cups of SR Flour
2 cups of sugar
4 eggs
1 cup of milk (may need to add a little more)
6 heaped tablespoons of cocoa
1 packet of choc chips.
250g of butter
2 teaspoons of baking powder.

Mix sugar and butter, beat eggs and milk, then add dry ingredients.

This is VERY rich Makes a generous 4 dozen large muffins.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Katie, thanks for the 6 week mix, now a question, do you portion out a certain amount each time you bake, like a twelve muffin tin?? I know, a bit of a dumb question, I just want to be clear ! Thanks so much!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I am also planning to start baking, and need to figure out how to store bread! I will probably only bake one loaf at a time, but with our small family that will last several days. Do you store in a plastic bag? Tupperware? Would a paper bag work? I'd like to avoid plastic... and something reusable would be great! Any ideas?

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 01 2006 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Meredith wrote:
Katie, thanks for the 6 week mix, now a question, do you portion out a certain amount each time you bake, like a twelve muffin tin?? I know, a bit of a dumb question, I just want to be clear ! Thanks so much!

Meredith,

I store the (uncooked) mixture in a large tupperware type container in the fridge. I have two 12 cup muffin tins, and when I bake these for breakfast (or for emergency company ) I just spoon mixture into muffin tins and bake. The beauty is I can make 6 or 60 (though usually I make about 18). I just put the leftover mixture back in the fridge to use another day. When it gets low I go ahead and finish it off - muffins always get eaten around here!

I should rename it three-week muffins! It never lasts six weeks, though the flavour gets really good after a week or so in the fridge. I have doubled the recipe, and with four kids it doesn't last six weeks either!

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 01 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

Thought I'd chime in on the pizza dough! Here's the recipe I use - no need for rising/punching down. After you make the dough, you could freeze the uncooked dough in a freezer bag as is OR you could roll it out, poke a few fork holes in it, bake it for 10 minutes or so, let it cool and wrap it up and put it in the freezer. If you do this then you could take it out of the freezer, throw on your toppings and bake it just like you would a frozen pizza.

Pizza Crust
1 c. very warm water
1 TBLS. oil
1 TBLS. yeast
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 c. flour (white or @least 1/2 white works best)
1 tsp. honey

*Dissolve yeast and honey in water in large bowl.
*Add remaining ingredients and mix until dough pulls away from sides (NOW you can freeze this if you want - use floured hands and surface to form into a ball)
*Roll or spread out onto a 15" pizza pan or rectangular pan sprinkled with cornmeal
*Poke holes with a fork all over the crust. Bake @ 450 degrees for 10 minutes. (NOW you could cool and freeze this) Otherwise, remove from oven, add toppings and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until toppings are done to your liking.

Honestly, it doesn't take long to make the entire pizza from scratch, so I don't freeze much dough anyway! And yes, this recipe can be easily doubled/tripled. It makes what I'd call a "hand tossed" thickness of crust. Enjoy!

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Wendy,
OK, I'm not much of a baker, so this may be a silly question, but...what is the purpose of the yeast if you never let the dough rise?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Theresa,

I'm not Wendy, but the pizza dough will rise a little just in the first few minutes in the oven, and will have a lighter texture for having yeast in it. Without the yeast, it would be more like cardboard.

Letting dough rise gives it a better texture - important for a loaf of bread, less so for a pizza crust that will be devoured in an instant out of the oven!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version