Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Anyone have a SET Baking Day? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

You know like on Saturday like Ma in LHP?? I was just thinking what a nice thing to begin here in the Fall to start filling the freezer and larder with yummy homemade things!!

Would love to hear how anyone approaches baking in their house, especially with your dc!

Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Meredith, I make biscuits each Friday for lunch so Friday is our baking day, although in the summer I do not bake much. The other three seasons, we make the biscuits, three loaves of bread and a dessert (like cookies, muffins or quick bread). I freeze two of the loaves for a couple of days while we eat the biscuits and first loaf of bread. We eat the dessert item for teatime on Friday as well as on the weekend as a treat. For Friday dinners usually have make you own pizza night or soup and salad so sometimes I make pizza dough as well. (We are on a three week dinner rotation.)

The kids and I start early in the am to make the bread which rises while we do our lessons. Then we make the lunch biscuits and other items. We do not have a bread machine so the kneading and mixing takes up a bit of space. They all like to be involved but I have a small kitchen so usually one will help with bread, one with the lunch biscuits and another with the other baking items at different times of the day.

Anyhow, HTH and have fun baking!   

God Bless,

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

I was just reading one of my daughter's My First Little House books and was thinking of this myself. I liked Ma's simple, systematic approach to household chores. I, too, especially like the idea of setting aside a special "baking" idea.

I may try this. Although, we have a bread machine and I'm not sure I would give up making loaves of bread through out the week - it smells so yummy.

The rest of the baking, though...

And Rebecca - how about sharing that biscuit recipe?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Funny, I was just thinking about the Ma Ingals one task a day concept myself! I just think it would be easier for me to set aside a day for a task (between schooling, etc) rather than trying to do a little of each thing each day. Like today was all about making batches of spaghetti sauce to put up in the freezer. What if I dedicated every thursday (or whatever day)to putting up something for the freezer? I could get alot done!
And yesterday I did about 10 loads of laundry because I had fallen behind. Surprisingly, it wasn't too bad as I just got into a groove and did it all day long. That might work for me as I always forget to do a load a day.
I would love to have a baking day once it cools down a bit.
So, who can tell me the order of Ma's list? Which day was for what?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Okay - I haven't read the real ones in a while, but this is from My First Little House "Winter Days in the Big Woods"

Wash on Monday
Iron on Tuesday
Mend on Wednesday
Churn on Thursday
Clean on Friday
Bake on Saturday
Rest on Sunday

Hmnnn... Iron? Churn? Clean (okay kidding on that one)!

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Yes, we do bread on Monday. But, with the bread machine helping-most Mondays it just does the dough and we get 2 loaves baking in the oven while we do schoolwork. I want to start to do a desert that day to but it hasn't happened yet and I am sure my waistline is thankful. We did make cookies to take to church for the people going to the soup kitchen to serve last week-that was fun but a little dangerous for me-they were sooo good oh, and we got no schoolwork done.
The kids were amazed we made cookies-it has been a looong time. Poor deprived things, I need to get better about that.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Cici wrote:
And Rebecca - how about sharing that biscuit recipe?

Sure, Cici! It is from the 1981 version of Whole Foods for the Whole Family by La Leche League.

Quick Biscuits:
2 c. flour (I use whole wheat pastry or 1 c. white/1 c. whole wheat when I am out of ww. pastry)
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/4 to 1/2 c. butter (or oil though I have never used oil)
2/3 c. milk

Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk until dough forms into a ball. Knead gently 5 to 10 times, do not overwork. Roll or pat out on a floured surface about 1/2 inch thick. (For flakier biscuits, fold dough into thirds toward the center and roll out again, repeat two or three times). Cut into squares or rounds with a floured glass or biscuit cutter. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Serve hot.

We have made these biscuits almost every Friday for the past ten years or so. We serve them on the table with honey, cheese or tuna salad along with a cut veggie tray. The kids love them and they are easy to make.

God Bless,
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 3:46am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Graet thread, Meredith! And Rebecca, thank you for sharing that recipe! My kids loooove biscuits! We like to have "scramblers" on Saturday mornings, but too often end up grabbing one while we're out running errands.

Friday used to be our set baking day - when I would bake something simple with the kids. Usually just muffins, cookies or quick bread. I would also make pizza dough for Friday night supper. (Friday night is pizza night whether its picked up or homemade. )

We have a bread machine now, but I would like to get back to baking more from scratch. I just got the latest Bakers Catalog in the mail -- LOTS of inspiration in there!

I may have to rethink Friday as baking day as our coop meets here Friday afternoons. The mornings might be too tight and I'm always scrambling around getting things ready. But maybe I'll make Saturday afternoon a set baking time and rotate one of the boys helping me each week.

How do you all keep baked goods fresh - how do you wrap them for freezing for instance? I haven't had good success with freezing things - the texture is always ruined.

Oh, won't it be nice to get back to the fall and cooler days? I always get the baking bug at this time of year!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Meredith, what do you plan to bake on your baking day??

Dawn and Anne, does your bread machine make more than one loaf? I have one but the capacity is small. I don't like to bake in the machine...I just use it to make the dough. I know there was a lot of discussion on an earlier thread about machines...but I was confused whether folks were talking about an actual bread machine or a mixer. What do you use?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am thinking tuesdays would be a good baking day here, so we would have something fresh and hot for tuesday tea!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

OK, thanks to you ladies' inspiration, I think I have mine worked out. Here goes:

Monday: Clean kitchen and baths. I like to start off the week with a clean house.And I cannot bake in a messy kitchen.
Tuesday: Baking. For tuesday tea and more. Although in the summer it will not be baking so much as putting up fresh fruits and veggies in season.
Wednesday: Washing colors
Thursday: Washing whites (including all bedding and towels).
Friday:pick-up, straighten, dust. Although we do this daily, this will be an extra thorough job, in preparation for
Saturday: vacuum whole house. Plan meals for upcoming week.
Sunday: Mass, rest, shopping. I love to shop for groceries on Sunday cause I don't have to bring the kids along! I always clean the fridge on grocery day by habit, so that goes along with this as well. I also try to have something in the crockpot sunday morning before mass so my afternoon is free to relax with family.

Of course this is in addition to the daily pick-up, sweep, dishes, etc type chores. But I think the focus on one major task a day will help me to accomplish more. I never do well with a little here and there type schedules, so I will give this a shot.

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

One of the items that used to help with baking day and quantity bread making for the freezer is my hand crank manual dough mixer. Mine is vintage, $20 at a "junktique" store. The metal bucket, which clamps to the table, can hold ~20 cups of flour. and the crank kneads the dough. It is a great way to get lots of dough made. I has been a while but I used to fill the oven with regualar bread, then make cinnamon bread and rolls with the rest.
Anyone use one of these?
This thread has inspired me to drag it out, although I have a shortage of freezer space now that we do our own meat. Although I do not need to use the entire 20 cups, and I never did see cinnamon bread last too long either.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Shawna

I'm not Anne or Dawn, but I do have a bread machine I use regularly. I have the Zojirushi - however its spelled. I do bake the bread in the machine as it's easier and comes out square. It works for us as we're still a small family, per se, and dh doesn't really eat bread. Also, the Zo has three crust settings - I set it to light and then take it out immediately. It makes just one loaf at a time.

That said, I do make my own hamburger buns (I can never shape hotdog buns correctly), and pizza dough, and several variations of rolls - none of which, obviously, are cooked in the machine.

Rebecca - you know I have that cookbook, tried and few of the recipes and they just tasted too "healthy"     for our family. I think I'll have to break it out and retry.

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote Katie

I used to bake on Mondays. I baked other days, but Monday was the day I tried to stock the freezer and pantry a bit. Depending on what was needed, I'd make - bread and bread dough for the freezer, bread crumbs from old bread for the freezer, granola, six-week muffin mix for the fridge, wholewheat pasta, wholewheat tortillas, pastry for the freezer. I think that's it!

I have been saying that I need to start this again. I used to clean the kitchen after the weekend and bake with the kids, and it really didn't take too long. I didn't do everything every week, just what needed stocking up.

HTH!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 5:01am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

ShawnaB wrote:
Dawn and Anne, does your bread machine make more than one loaf?

Shawna, I have the Zojirushi too (spelling!?) and it makes one loaf, a good sized one. It is sitting underneath a cabinet right now which means we don't use it. But this thread has renewed my resolve!

We buy Vermont Bread Company soft whole wheat bread. Youngest can tolerate it and it makes a good size sandwich. We also like Matthew's but it makes very small sandwiches. We must go through 2-3 loaves a week. This was the first thing that prompted me to ask for a bread machine (it was a Christmas gift from dh ). I also had slowed down on making homemade pizza dough because of the time thing and ended up buying packages of dough from the store. That's just silly.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

ShawnaB wrote:
Meredith, what do you plan to bake on your baking day??

Mainly bread and things like muffins to freeze, pies, tea-time things like scones and biscotti, super yummy when dipped partially in chocolate!!

Theresa, I love your weekly list it looks alot like mine!!   Except I have to do a load or two of laundry daily, especially a diaper load
Mine looks like this most weeks:
M-Dust, sweep and mop downstairs
T-Kitchen Day: Remove clutter from all surfaces, clean stove and everyone has to organize or tidy one drawer/shelf. Meal plan for the next week, clean fridge!
W-Vacuum upstairs, Library and Grocery Day!
Th-Bathroom day, switch weekly towels, garbage, sinks & counter tops, toilets
F-Declutter school room and other surfaces
S-Baking Day?? Outdoor clean-up
S-Mass & Rest/Play!

Thanks for sharing all your ideas ladies and Rebecca, the biscuit recipe looks heavenly, we LOVE biscuits with everything!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Meredith,

We do Monday afternoons is our cooking afternoon.

The dc complained that we never did the fun things like cooking, craft etc so I 'killed two birds with one stone' So we fill or containers for morning tea and I can call it education Ds11 makes fantastic chocolate muffins, they are a must!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Shawna,
I have the Breadman Ultimate and it makes up to 2 lb loaves. So I make 2-1lb loaves. They are a little "short" but work for us.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Erin wrote:
Ds11 makes fantastic chocolate muffins, they are a must!

Erin,
Would you mind sharing the recipe??

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Katie wrote:
... six-week muffin mix for the fridge, wholewheat pasta, wholewheat tortillas, pastry for the freezer. HTH!

I REALLY want to get away from cold cereal for breakfast and I think that the six-week muffin mix could help me meet my goal -- would you mind sharing the recipe??

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version