Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Wal*Mart and the ethics of shopping Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I have a problem with a lot of the stuff that is being made now. Our computers are designed to last a certain amount of time - and it is cheaper to purchase a new printer than a new cartridge. When we bought our first house, the hot water heater was still going strong after 20 + years (perhaps due to our large family that never let water just sit). But now hot water heaters are designed on purpose to last for 10 years (maybe 15 if you are lucky). What about refrigerators, clothing,cars that falls apart (chain stores are notoriuos for this as are all those made in China). These used to be intentionally designed to last as long as possible - my dad could still reliably drive his 1960 barracuda even a year or two ago - it would still be going strong if he hadn't gotten totalled - but because it was made well, my nephew was not even scratched. I can tell you a bit about phones as that was my dh specialty (acoustics) and he loved designing phones, seeing them built in the US in a factory - now the design and manufacture is shipped out - mostly to China. Now they are left with trying to catch Red China slip stuff by) while we end up giving them all our technological know-how. And China is our most likely adversary in the coming years - despite all the middle eastern chaos. There is no more design work in the U.S. - and the phones are cheap by all the different manufacturers - and most if not all have some component made in China. Oh and engineers are hired by China to come work (leaving wives and children behind for years at a time just to make ends meet)Why do these Philipino engineers willingly go to China - could Most Favored Nation Status for China have impacted the economics of the whole region. I would go for not buying anything made in China but by the time we realized it, there was hardly anything not made in China. I cannot spend days hunting - again buy as much as possible used seems to be a message against consumerism and greed.

I am like the other mom who said at some point they just got overwhelmed with all the issues. I'm beginning to think the real answer is to buy less from all sources and make it last until someone starts making something of quality to worth my time. I do have to budget and cannot afford many of the Ideals - but I can always shop at a thrift store, a friend of the library book sale (all these places have better quality and better prices and usually better material - less of the sleeze). Of course I do have to shop for food, staples - but a string strung on the back porch does as well as a cheap plastic clothes line. And yes, I do shop at Wal-Mart, but the service stinks, they never have a teller to help, etc. I went to SAMS but they don't always have variety. I shop at a local 7venth Day Adventist Grocery of Farmers market (the farmers market doesn't let me buy in bulk and it is a major pain)and the other is great for produce but I'm not paying mega bucks for soy hotdogs. I do like to know if there is a real issue - sometimes I begin to wonder how much is crying wolf - so I like to see the source. We had people here all upset about the orchestra - and gossip and there was the perenial circulation of the store with the Satanic emblem. It's hard to know what to take seriously. I'd like a phone company that simply does their job - doesn't make donations just gives a good price for their service and treats their employees well. I'd like the same thing from whatever store I shop at - let individuals decide where to donate and companies simply do the job they are supposed to do. And yes, I would love not to be acousted on entering the supermarket - but I cannot afford to pay the Publix price for that. I can "purchase" eggs or barter with local farmers for some things.

Well, there's my rant - no ill will meant. I am frustrated wanting to do something, but realistically having to accept the best I can do. I love seeing the discussion as it reminds me to pull my worn out self together and evaluate anew!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

I live in a very spread out community of about 400,000 people. There are not a lot of mom & pop shops around here. The one that come to mind are approximately 30 - 40 miles away and on a street that is nicknamed Blood Alley which I avoid at all costs. The cities have tried to entice local business and large business to open in certain areas. There is only a handful of stores that want to take the chance, Wal-Mart is one of them. 4 years ago, they opened a store on the East side of town and now other business have popped up in that area. A year after that store, they again opened up a store in an area that had nothing. Both areas are now sporting new stores and many people are shopping these stores.

I am not saying that I advocate the big box stores, but sometimes they are the only ones willing to take a chance. Before they opened these stores, the first two Wal-Marts and the two Targets were always so crowded you would think twice or thrice before venturing. There are no other options here. We have a local hardware store, but they really only sell hardware, it is a very small store, they have nuts & bolts, paint, sprinklers and wood. It great if we want to build something, but we couldn't buy a laundry basket.

One thing we do have is quite a few local restraunts.

God Bless
Robynn in Lancaster, CA
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2006 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Christine wrote:

My husband and I are looking for a 12 seater van. We will not be purchasing from Ford because Focus on the Family is asking that people boycott them for the same reasons as we are being asked to boycott Walmart. I believe that both of these boycotts are worthwhile organized boycotts.

After you buy your new van, please send Ford Motor Co. a letter and tell them that you avoided this major purchase from them and why.
Ford is in such dire straits at this time (my dad is a retiree, and we have friends who have been laid off for some time, and another, anxious as to what will happen to his job.) They need to hear that their position on this issue is greatly costing them business. They certainly can't afford to keep up practices that will drive business away. And they need to know why. Otherwise, analysts will point to any number of different reasons.

Quality and price are issues for us. I went to an appliance store this week and had a long conversation with the manager. She said that most appliances made today are made with all the same basic parts. Brands don't matter much, as far a quality, she said. Most are plastic.    Most won't last 10 years, and heaven help you if you actually use the appliance with any regularity. Most people don't cook all their meals at home or run the dishwasher or do laundry for more than a few, etc. They just aren't made to last. She said you really have to go high end to get any that will last longer. What a shame!

We have been pretty much big-boxed in, in our corner of the world. Our local hardware store folded in the spring. I couldn't even begin to tell you where there might be a small bookstore (besides Catholic ) in the area. Clothing stores, etc, have all been replaced by the dept. store, Targets, Home depots, etc. Even the movie theater is now 20 or 30 shows. The little theaters are nearly gone (although we are fortunate to have two- one shows end-of-run movies, and the other shows
old movies (My Fair Lady will be on in November!)

A friend echoed many of the same sentiments here in a discussion we had - you get to the point where you don't know what to buy or where to buy it. As in, where does the store stand on this or that, where did they get this or that item, where did the manufacturer get this or that cloth or thread, and so on. It can really make your head spin!

And I am babbling along, now, so I will bid you all a good night, and say a pray for you all, dear ladies , before I hit the hay.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

stacykay wrote:

She said that most appliances made today are made with all the same basic parts. Brands don't matter much, as far a quality, she said. Most are plastic.    Most won't last 10 years, and heaven help you if you actually use the appliance with any regularity.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

I have to agree on the appliances. I had a Kitchen Aid dishwasher that lasted 10 years of heavy use. Last fall we replaced it with a GE. It has never worked right, and now I just wash by hand and use it as a dish drainer. It doesn't even do a good job at that, as the wheels keep falling off the lower rack.

It's a good thing I am trying to simplify my life, because I am tired of paying for things that break almost immediately. Now to get my dh to quit calling me the Luddite

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version