Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Going natural Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 20 2006 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Karen T wrote:

I am presently researching filters to remove fluoride from the tap water (only RO does it, none of the fridge or sink type filters do) b/c I have found out that the type of fluoride added to water is not even one that has had ANY safety studies done on it (the early studies used a different form, and this is a by-product of the phosphate fertilizer industry! Fluoride applied by topical gels and toothpaste are much more effective in preventing tooth decay, and water fluoridation has been linked with a number of problems including autoimmune thyroid disease (which I have and prompted me to research it)
fluoride alert

Well, off my soapbox now but hopefully I at least gave Brenda a few ideas.

Karen

Karen, I have heard the same thing about the thyroid disease and within the last 2 years, Sacramento started fluoridating their water. In 1999, we had purchased a filter to filter our water, but the only thing it did not filter was the fluoride as it was not a reverse osmosis filter. Well, guess what, I started having thyroid problems.

Just some info, fwiw.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Karen T wrote:

Since a lot of these things (hormones or toxins) are worst for infants, it makes sense to breastfeed as long as possible, and limit cow's milk products the first couple years.

Karen

Good point on breastfeeding. In the past though I usually give my little ones lots of yogurt . Even Stonyfield would not be so ideal in this case.

Thanks also Karen for the info on plastics. I found it very helpful. Since you're such a good resource, can you recommend a good book or trusty website?

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

I want to thank everyone again for your thoughtful responses!

Maybe I should start a new thread, but it's kind of related (at least in my mind ). My dh is very supportive of the changes I'm making (this is HUGE!), and he said he understands that I might need better tools to cook the way I want to, such as a stand mixer, etc.

I've heard many of you talk about different bread machines and mixers but never paid much attention.

We have a Whisper Mill wheat grinder that I hardly ever use (mostly because there has always been a baby sleeping and the "whisper" is about as loud as a plane taking off in the next room , plus the extra store to go to to order wheat berries), and we have an average breadmaker (whose name I forget).

What do you recommend? What are the best mixers and breadmakers, and what is affordable? Does "high end" make a difference over something average? I'm also fine with using the oven if my bread doesn't come out like a brick.

Are there other appliances that I might find helpful? (We are also greatly lessening microwave use, although dh doesn't want to get rid of it altogether)

Not sure where I would KEEP any of this stuff...

Thanks in advance for any advice! I am very excited to be learning how to provide healthier food for my sensitive family.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Elizabeth wrote:
tea tree oil at TJ's very affordably. These are the basics (along with vinegar) for cleaning.

Pardon my ignorance , but the only tea tree oil I can find locally is in the form of foot powders, sprays, and masques. I'm obviously looking in the wrong places. Online I see lots of self-care (soaps, shampoos, deoderants, toothpaste) with tea tree oil in it, but Elizabeth, I don't know how or what to look for in a cleaner. What does it look like? I've been using Lysol if I don't use vinegar and water and frankly, I can't stand the smell of Lysol anymore.

By the way, we have a Good Earth Natural Food store relatively close to where I live. Are those recommended?

Thanks,

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

amyable wrote:
I've heard many of you talk about different bread machines and mixers but never paid much attention.

We have a Whisper Mill wheat grinder that I hardly ever use (mostly because there has always been a baby sleeping and the "whisper" is about as loud as a plane taking off in the next room , plus the extra store to go to to order wheat berries), and we have an average breadmaker (whose name I forget).

What do you recommend? What are the best mixers and breadmakers, and what is affordable? Does "high end" make a difference over something average? I'm also fine with using the oven if my bread doesn't come out like a brick.

Are there other appliances that I might find helpful? (We are also greatly lessening microwave use, although dh doesn't want to get rid of it altogether)

OK. I have a lot to say here, and it's probably all going to come out in one shot since I'm too far away to hear the kids. About mixers, I'm not as happy as I would've liked to have been with my Kitchenaid. It bounces all over the counter when I knead my breads ... I suppose it's because I have to make double what your average person would make at a time. Also, it gets really hot as it's kneading.

As far as breadmakers, I haven't really researched any recently since I'm happy as a clam to oven-bake my bread. I had one, but as we gained more children, the loaves fed only about 1/2 of us per meal and that just won't work when you have to leave the dough in the maker for several hours. Surprisingly enough, I sold it at a thrift shop for almost what we paid for it!

My favorite bread book is Martha Rose Schulman's Great Breads. Everything in it that I've tried works and you can make bagels, pita breads, Challa, crepes, breadsticks, Irish soda bread, scones, you name it. Also, the smell from the oven is heavenly. You can't get that with a breadmaker.

The problem with bread is that you can't really make 100% wheat flour bread or it will be better used as a doorstop. It is heavy and rock hard. We've worked wheat in, but if I get too much in it my husband gives me that *I-know-you;re-trying-to-be-healthy-but-this-is-over-the-top !* look. My kids, bless them, chew away. The best combination is 1/2 and 1/2 for health and lightness/taste. I only use unbleached white flour. Oat breads come out much better.

Other appliances? Hmmm... I take out my food processor nearly every day. I don't care for the way it slices, however. I guess I can't have it all.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether canned beans (ie: pinto, kidney, black, etc.) are worse for you than dried? I have to admit I like the convenience of canned and I'm getting mixed messages from all I read as to whether there's a difference.

Our microwave we use for defrosting peas for the goldfish (yes, they love them and they're healthy for their digestive systems and for vitamins) and for heating up a cup of water for tea or reheating coffee. That's about it.

Now, as to wheat grinders, I just discovered bulgur wheat in our commissary. I think I need it ground for a recipe which calls for finely ground bulgur. Any recommendations on a good grinder or where I can find already finely ground bulgur would be much appreciated.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Dawn wrote:
I have a magnet on my fridge from Wild Oats that lists the 12 most important fruits and vegetables to buy organic:

apples
bell peppers
celery
cherries
grapes (imported)
nectarines
peaches
pears
potatoes
red raspberries
spinach
strawberries
(Organic baby food, dairy and eggs are also noted as good choices on the list)

Yay, Dawn! We have grapes, peaches, pears raspberries, and apples growing in our yard. 'Course, it's nice to know that we can buy organic during less than peak season.

I visited an organic food store for the first time today. I felt like my kids must feel when we visit a toy store. We bought tea tree oil and Citra-solv because frankly, I'm just tired of the smell of Lysol.

God bless,

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Tina P. wrote:
The problem with bread is that you can't really make 100% wheat flour bread or it will be better used as a doorstop. It is heavy and rock hard. We've worked wheat in, but if I get too much in it my husband gives me that *I-know-you;re-trying-to-be-healthy-but-this-is-over-the-top !* look. My kids, bless them, chew away. The best combination is 1/2 and 1/2 for health and lightness/taste.

My sister makes the BEST bread and it's 100% whole wheat. She uses "white whole wheat" (versus the more common red grain) and it is very light.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

About farmer's markets...

Many farmers have not gone to the hassle of becoming certified organic because they aren't large enough, don't agree with USDA politics, or for other reasons, but many/most do grow their produce using sustainable methods. That means no spraying, no artificial fertilizers, use of compost, etc -- organic, basically. If you go to a farmer's market, you will not only be getting healthier produce, you will also be supporting small farmers, who are disappearing at an alarming rate. Farming is hard work and doesn't pay very well. So buy local whenever you can.

Also, if you live in a suburban area, at the farmer's market you will most likely be able to find someone who raises grass fed beef, free range chickens, sheep, goats,geese, turkeys, pork -- you name it. If you have a separate freezer, you can buy a side of beef (or an entire cow, if you want), which you pay for up front but saves you money (and is better for you!) in the long run. We're paying $3 a Lb for a side of beef, which runs about 200 lbs. That 200 lbs of beef includes steaks, ribs, roast, ground beef, stew meat, short ribs -- everything. If you bought grass fed beef in the store, you'd pay a lot more than that because of course your steaks would cost more than your hamburger... Since we aren't raising our own chickens, we're buying 10 or 20 for the freezer from this same farmer, who happens to live about 2 miles from here. When you know where your food comes from, you will never want to shop at a faceless place like WalMart again.

This approach *does* require some planning, though. We placed our "order" for the beef in the spring, when the farmer was deciding how many calves to raise. There shouldn't be any waste, because someone raising calves in this manner won't want to raise or slaughter them if the meat won't be bought by somebody, whereas the meat on a grocery store shelf may sit there until it spoils and then have to be thrown away. Chickens, however, only take a couple of months to raise for meat, so if you want to contact a farmer about a big chicken order, it's still probably ok to do so now. (It may still be possible to find a side or a quarter of beef somewhere, as this is the time of yearthat calves are slaughtered.) I*think* that pigs are butchered later on in the fall.

Also, many small organic growers have eggs.

Anyway, there's my plug for supporting your local small organic farmers.    Our own garden is not doing so well this year, but hopefully next year we'll be able to open our own little roadside veggie-table!

--Angela
Mom to 3+2
Three Plus Two
Wild Things
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I would love to do this, buy a side of beef and put it in the freezer. We have a big old upright freezer with plenty of room, but it was my parents' and it's now over 30 yrs old and I'm afraid it won't last much longer. We're moving in less than a year and don't want to buy a new one and have to move it, so i'm nursing it along but would hate to lose half a cow if it fails!

but once we move I will look into this!

My father grew up on a small farm and even though we lived in the city, every year he'd go to the farmer's market when various things were in season, like butterbeans (his favorite) and buy several bushels, which we would ALL sit around on the patio and shell for days on end while my mom blanched and froze them. I have good memories of that, though I hated it at the time (sore fingers). I should do that here, since our garen has never produced more than what we could eat at the time.

karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

BrendaPeter wrote:

Thanks also Karen for the info on plastics. I found it very helpful. Since you're such a good resource, can you recommend a good book or trusty website?

Thx!

I referenced the FDA above on the plastics stuff. Are you asking about plastic or fluoride? I have a lot more info on the fluoride from refereed journals, etc. I haven't looked farther on the plastics thing b/c I just avoid plastics in the microwave as much as possible. The FDA says plastics intended for microwaving are OK; maybe they are, but I think science doesn't have all the answers about longterm things. Back in the 60's they thought DDT was safe, right? And the pesticides found in vegetables, etc. may indeed be well below "safe" levels but they just don't know how each of these things interacts with other chemicals in our bodies, and how long they are there, and how much they accumulate over time.
Karen

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Karen T wrote:
BrendaPeter wrote:

Thx!

I referenced the FDA above on the plastics stuff. Are you asking about plastic or fluoride?

Hi Karen,

I'd love a good book on the entire topic of "going natural".

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I can't think of a book or website that I really trust to be unbiased. many books I've read are so reactionary and full of partial truths are flat-out lies, unfortunately.
I think most of my ideas and thoughts on organic, etc. have come from many years of reading Organic Gardening (years ago someone gave me about 5 yrs of back issues that got me started - I passed on the favor by giving my saved issues to someone on freecyle last year ;)

Even with OG you have to careful and follow up on some things (and ignore a lot of the ads) and I don't like the newer magazine as much as the ones in the 80's and early 90's.

I also read a lot about the Feingold diet several years ago about artificial colors and other additives, and have looked further into that feingold I don't buy into all of it, but it is still interesting to read.

Karen T

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Karen T wrote:
I can't think of a book or website that I really trust to be unbiased. many books I've read are so reactionary and full of partial truths are flat-out lies, unfortunately.

My experience has been exactly the same as yours, which is why I asked. I understand that much of the info out there is relatively new & there is probably not much in the way of long-term studies, however, the reactionary tone, etc. that you mentioned makes the whole thing so confusing.

I thought it was interesting that both my husband & vet friend had the same response when I mentioned the hormones in milk to them. The both asked "what about the hormones that moms pass on to babies" & "maybe pasteurization kills the hormones". Any thoughts?

Brenda (mom to 6)

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Dawn wrote:
I've been itching to get to this thread and I know I won't have enough time right now to say all the things I want, but first let me recommend a book I have found enormously helpful re organic living: The Green Kitchen Handbook.

Hi Dawn,

I wanted to tell you that I got "The Green Kitchen Handbook" out of the library & I'm really enjoying it. Although it's written from a pretty liberal perspective (could someone out there PLEASE write a Catholic book on keeping the earth green?!!!), it makes alot of sense. I do wish the author had used footnotes to add to her credibility but she does stay away from all the "anecdotes" that authors of these types of books usually resort to, so I'm thankful for that. Much of what she writes jives with alot of what we've all read on reducing your trash, growing your own veggies, omega-fats, etc.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Brenda (mom to 6)

orchdork
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote orchdork

Elizabeth wrote:
Dear Amy,...
I go to Aveda for makeup (like once a year).

Thank you for the heads up on Aveda!!
We have never used it. I’m trying their lip color and I like it allot.
What do you know about bare minerals?
What do you ladies use for a fragrance?
I love to wear perfume; but I hear it is bad?? Is it bad for me or the environment?
Thank you!!
Jacque
Back to Top View orchdork's Profile Search for other posts by orchdork

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version