Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Who Owns an Island? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Cay,
When I saw this thread I said, "Not me." Then I opened it up and realized I do have an island.

It's 11 ft wide and about 40 in deep. It's a bit deeper in front of the sink because it juts out there. There is an overhang of about 13 inches. It's not split level. I do have a sink and a dishwasher built into it. I didn't want a stove because I was afraid of the dc getting burned more easily and I imagined the cooking grease splattering all over the place. I was also concerned about dc turning on the switch to the garbage disposal, so we got a batch feed disposal that has no switch. It turns on when the cap is fitted into it a certain way.

It's a built-in island. No overhanging rack. Underneath there are six 36" wide drawers and a cabinet under the sink. No open shelving. 4 pendant lights above it. I will post pictures of it for Meredith's Carnival on Monday. I haven't found out yet how to post it and then unpublish it. Does anyone know? Or do you just post it anytime and leave it there? This will be my first carnival, so I don't know how it works.

Cay I really liked the look of the butcher block counter top too. Unfortunately, the cabinet store we had to work with didn't do those. We went with Corian I have to say that it's really great to be able to brush crumbs, etc across the counter and into the sink without running into the lip of a drop-in sink. Just one more thing to consider.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 15 2006 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I have a large permanent island in the middle of my kitchen. It is about 6 ft. long, 3 ft. deep, and 3 ft. high (same height as my regular kitchen counters). It is simply a counter top -- no cooktop or sink in it. There is an 11 inch overhang so the children can sit at the counter on stools to eat, do projects, etc. On the other side, I have 4 drawers and two large cabinets with double doors.

I love my island. That said, it is almost always cluttered.      It's a big weakness of mine to allow mail, school papers, and other stuff to collect on the island. When it is cleared, it looks great though, and I'm sure many others wouldn't have this same problem. I use it for all cutting and chopping, sandwich making, mixing and stirring. We have a double electrical outlet at each end, so I often use the island for the electric mixer or my rice cooker. They are also the outlets that are easiest to access for plugging in the vacuum for the adjacent family room carpet.

One of the biggest benefits is the added seating space. When we have dinner here with another family or two, the island gives us the added space to have seating for up to 12 children in the kitchen and 6-8 adults in the dining room. I sometimes bring up the plastic toddler table from the basement to add even more space for younger children.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Okay, I begged and pleaded with my dh ( not really) to wait on the kitchen/living room remodeling until after the Christmas holidays. I just can't stand the thought of having my house torn apart during this beautiful time of year. Especially when it involves tearing a whole wall out.

So I still have time to plan. I really appreciated all the feedback above but a couple more questions:

1) can-lighting or fluorescent? does can lighting contibute much to a room? (I like a well-lit room)

2) gas fireplace vs. wood burning?

3) tile or granite countertops?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Good thinking Cay... my island is marble topped so I think I would go with the granite, tile is harder to clean.
Wood defiantly wood! Why I don;t know I just love the smell, earthy feel etc!! Gas is probably easier however there is just something about natural wood!
As for lighting the first thing I did to this house was to get rid of fluoresent lighting. It is so hard to see accurately under that stuff. Again I love the natural light, that you can't get with fluoresent bulbs. My husband argues for fluoresent because of the cost, but beauty always wins over here. As an artist I need good lighting and BTW cooking is an art. How fun to plan, I look forward to others reasoning.
Funny you reopened this thread just this AM I was in the kitchen thinking about it. I'm still figuring out this new kitchen and dh is installing my wood burning cookstove this weekend. I just love bread coming out of that oven, and soup simmering on the top during the fall and winter months. Again I think I'm Tasha Tudor
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Cay Gibson wrote:
2) gas fireplace vs. wood burning?

In Houston, we had a wood fireplace with a gas started, and we loved it. It was wonderful to have the real experience of the crackling wood, the smell, etc. I may have felt differently if I were the one responsible for cleaning it , but dh didn't mind.
In Dallas, we had a gas fireplace with ceramic logs. The fireplace was definitely NOT designed for real wood burning, as it had a white hearth. It was ok. At the time, we thought it was perfect, till we had the "real" fireplace in Houston and we were converted. The big advantage is there's no mess, no supplies to keep on hand, no start time, and no leftover embers to worry about.

Cay Gibson wrote:

I'm a fan of tile. I think it has more character (just MHO). Granite is beautiful, but I understand it's not very practical and is a bit high maintanance. If cost is no issue (is it ever not an issue?), it really depends on what style you're going for.
It's nice you'll have this extra time to think over all the options. What fun!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Fluorescent reminds me of my working days . I want warm and inviting for the kitchen, track lighting is nice as you can direct it where you need it.

I hope you'll post pics when it's all done.

molly wrote:
I'm still figuring out this new kitchen and dh is installing my wood burning cookstove this weekend. I just love bread coming out of that oven, and soup simmering on the top during the fall and winter months. Again I think I'm Tasha Tudor

I love my woodcookstove. I have a Pioneer Maid and use all winter. Hope you enjoy yours.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

kingvozzo wrote:
Cay Gibson wrote:

I'm a fan of tile. I think it has more character (just MHO). Granite is beautiful, but I understand it's not very practical and is a bit high maintanance. If cost is no issue (is it ever not an issue?), it really depends on what style you're going for.

Cost? Who's counting pennies?!?!

If I asked for marble, my dh would look at me as though I had two heads and say, "We still have to eat, you know."

I was all for granite...I didn't know it was high maintanance. How so?

I've always had fromica and have been wanting granite but this weekend we went to my b-i-l/s-i-l's new house which has a new tiled countertop. It's beautiful. Dark blue with some white vegetable-imaged tiles thrown here and there for design. I loved it on the spot.

My s-i-l is definitely queen of cooking in our family. If she's not working, she's home cooking. She makes all kinds of Cajun and Parisian dishes so I know her countertop will not just sit clean and unused. I'm sure the countertop was done with a lot of thought.

But I know tile can be hard to keep up. What's a good cleaner for tile? and is it good as a splashboard?

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Maddie wrote:
   track lighting is nice as you can direct it where you need it...

Track lighting...that's it!
I can't seem to remember the term so I just call it can-lighting.   

molly wrote:
I'm still figuring out this new kitchen and dh is installing my wood burning cookstove this weekend. I just love bread coming out of that oven, and soup simmering on the top during the fall and winter months. Again I think I'm Tasha Tudor

Maddie wrote:
I love my woodcookstove. I have a Pioneer Maid and use all winter. Hope you enjoy yours.

I tried talking my dh into putting a woodstove into our new addition but he vetoed the idea.    Speaking of wood and fireplaces though...

Does anyone have a 3-sided fireplace? Something like this. That's what my dh wants to put between the livinig room and kitchen. I originally wanted a nice big old-fashion brick two-sided fireplace opening to the living area and the kitchen but my dh sold me on this one.

mom to 5

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Wow! That is gorgeous, Cay!

I think can lighting is inserted into the ceiling and track is just mounted to it. What a project your undertaking! Make sure to have plenty of meals frozen before you begin.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I was just thinking though...

...as much as I love the look, if we got with a 3-sided fireplace, I won't have a mantlepiece.      I can hardly bear the thought.

We do we have to have so many choices these days?

mom to 5

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Cay,

We had a fireplace like that in WV. It was more modern-looking, though. I like your photo better. Ours was mostly glass with all black trim and every single person who came into our house said it looked like an aquarium. Setting a more traditional-looking fireplace off with tile, as in your photo, should prevent that problem. We also thought it was a bit strange turning the fireplace on with a normal-looking light switch.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

That is one thing I miss about my old house is the mantle. We have a beautiful wood cookstove and I couldn't do without as it provides 1/2 of our heat in the winter, as well as saves $$ on cooking without electricity, but! I miss the mantle where I always displayed out nativity set and other family treasures.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

So many wonderful choices!
Cay is there another place you could install a fireplace or woodstove so as to have your mantle? We have one in the basement(aka the snake den ) the livingroom and then my cookstove...just another thought, to keep you spinning. BTW that picture was beautiful, the surrounding tile made it feel so homey!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I've never heard of high-maintenance granite (maybe if it's not polished?). As for the tile, to me, it is a pain to have on a counter surface -- it's bumpy (because of the grout and sometimes because of the tile shape) and the grout stains. I love the look of tile, so I'd use tile for a backsplash if I could (except behind the stove).

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version