Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: twaddle-free time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

threesilosfarm wrote:
For the record we do not watch movies on a regular basis, which is probably why I'm feeling so guilty. We will watch a movie sometimes on a Friday during the regular school year, but most times you'll find us reading or outside.

Please don't worry, Maddie. I don't think any of us thought you were the type to sit your kids in front of the TV all the time. Actually, I don't think any of us here seem like that type.   

threesilosfarm wrote:
I am in the middle of sorting every single article of clothing for every season and size for 9 people. Every other hour or so I entertain the idea of just donating it all to Goodwill and buy new (well, consignment shop new that is) every year. That's not in the budget so I MUST organize this as all closets and dressers in this house depend upon its organization. I can't take the piles of clothes everywhere !!!!

Ugh! I really, really dislike the job of changing over/organizing our clothes. I had been so tired with this pregnancy that the winter/summer switch ended up taking over a month to complete for all of us in the end. That was working on days when I had the energy and could summon up the will to attack the job. I have to applaud you for having the will to do it all at once, working at it for long hours.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

ALmom wrote:
Maddie:

I should say that TV doesn't work for us - so it isn't because of any greatness on my part. It just seems to make all mine crankier and more in need - so less would definitely get done! The only time it helps is for a brief winddown.

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to shoot your idea down, it was an excellent one, I'm just SO overwhelmed by this project.

You are totally right, children do become crankier and more needy when watching the tube all day, my goal is to be TV free 95% of the time. (allowing for school related videos and an occasional fun video) But first the clothes.

What has worked thus far is the children do chores, watch a few videos and then I take them on a long walk after dinner. We walked a total of three miles today!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2006 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote Erin

threesilosfarm wrote:
I am in the middle of sorting every single article of clothing for every season and size for 9 people. Every other hour or so I entertain the idea of just donating it all to Goodwill and buy new (well, consignment shop new that is) every year. That's not in the budget so I MUST organize this as all closets and dressers in this house depend upon its organization. I can't take the piles of clothes everywhere !!!!

Maddie,

I do this too. What are you storing out of size/season clothes in? I have found the vacumn bags good, they take lots less space than plastic bins.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

threesilosfarm wrote:
I am in the middle of sorting every single article of clothing for every season and size for 9 people.

Oh, this is my least favorite seasonal project... And I only have to sort through clothes for 3 people!

I'll share my favorite thought when working on a large project: "You CAN eat an elephant, you just have to do it one bite at a time!"   

Dawn

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I am using plastic bins, I hadn't thought of the vacuum bags. Do they stack well? We built a large closet (about 12'x12') with floor to ceiling shelves on 3 walls and several long clothes rods on the remaining wall. I did something a little radical (for me anyway) and combined clothing into classes. I put each of the following (all sizes)together in their own bin:
Jeans
Long sleeved girl shirts
Short sleeved girls shirts
Dresses
Boys dress pants
Boys dress shirts
and so on...

I thought by putting them all together like this it would be easier (I hope) to find the clothes I need. So many times a child wearing size 5 pants doesn't wear a size 5 shirt so I have to look in other bins for the right size. Then brands can vary on sizes, a 5 in Wrangler boys jeans may be different than x-brand. Worse of all, my children sometimes cut out itchy tags so then I have NO idea which bin it belongs in when it gets mixed up with other clothes.

Anyway, this way I can take a child into the closet and pull out what he needs. They can even try clothes on in the closet!

Has anyone else ever done this? I hope I don't regret it.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Dawnie wrote:

I'll share my favorite thought when working on a large project: "You CAN eat an elephant, you just have to do it one bite at a time!"   

Dawn

It's an elephant alright!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Maddie:

You are brave! I haven't tackled this yet - everything is in piles at the moment in my closet in black garbage bags and who knows what is in them. I'm sure we'll have to finally tackle this monster when we get to the bedroom in our elegant simplicity search - mostly in my case, de-clutter! But thank you, thank you in advance for the great idea of how to divide them up. I have a bunch of kids who will not tolerate tags, so there a tons of clothes I don't even know what size they are!!! Your way of putting girls shirts, boys shirts, etc. together seems very, very practical.

One thing that might work - I sort and change out drawers at the same time sometimes and my boys run as soon as I start having them try on all those pants, etc. They are on a campaign to stay outside of my radar so lots of peace and quiet to sort . Glad you found a solution that works for you!!!!

And don't worry - I was not offended in any way. I'd love to hear less messy ways to keep mine entertained. Mine just don't sit still! With 4 boys in a row it can get pretty roughhouse and questionable safety wise! They'd never last a minute in front of Little House and any more war and stuff means even more mess. The last war movie (an inoffensive documentary about Korea except for the fighting) meant that my boys have now figured out how to make grenades out of duplos - pull some sort of pin and then throw them and watch the individual duplo blocks shoot off in every direction! My statues are in danger as are their heads!! .

We do have a lock on video game - basically flying simulator for various military aircraft and all the boys are addicted to it, so that could be a last ditch, desperation move. I just know that with vision problems the computer is likely to slow down our therapy progress! But I like your idea of interspersing work, the video/TV time being short and then a long walk! I'll have to remember that!!!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2006 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

threesilosfarm wrote:
I am using plastic bins, I hadn't thought of the vacuum bags. Do they stack well? We built a large closet (about 12'x12') with floor to ceiling shelves on 3 walls and several long clothes rods on the remaining wall.

Maddie,
The vacumn bags sit well on top of each other. Dh built our closet with shelves floor to ceiling also. I can fit about 2 to 3 bags on top of each other depending on how full I stuff the bags. That is one problem with the bags, if I overstuff and I have been known too I bust the seam at the top. Also they can spring a leak. Many of our bags now sport plumbing tape. Still I find if a far more economical use of space compared to the bins. although a draw back is it is difficult to pop those stray clothes you missed in, or to take out just that one item you need. But I still wouldn't go back to the bins.

threesilosfarm wrote:
I did something a little radical (for me anyway) and combined clothing into classes. I put each of the following (all sizes)together in their own bin:
Jeans
Long sleeved girl shirts
Short sleeved girls shirts
Dresses
Boys dress pants
Boys dress shirts
and so on...

What a fantastic idea! I can see this really working. I like it

Actually I ended up doing something similar with our shoe storage. I used to sort by size and it was forever being disturbed. In the end I have a bag for sneakers, boots, slippers etc. Works far better.

I actually enjoy the clothes sorting I know I'm crazy, but it just appeals to me    I've just gone through children's cupboards writing down what they need for their summer wardrobe. The season's clothes are already coming out in the shops and the children will need new clothes for our Catholic Homeschool camp by the beach in only 6 weeks

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Erin wrote:

Actually I ended up doing something similar with our shoe storage. I used to sort by size and it was forever being disturbed. In the end I have a bag for sneakers, boots, slippers etc. Works far better.

Same! After so many wears you can't read the size labels anyway.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 12:30am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Erin wrote:

I actually enjoy the clothes sorting I know I'm crazy, but it just appeals to me

Too bad we're an ocean apart, I'd indulge you!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2006 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Shout me the tickets and I'll come.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 20 2006 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Maddie,
Your system is the one I use and it does make more sense from a practical perspective. It's still a lot of clothes and a lot of work and it IS overwhelming. Keep at it!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

threesilosfarm wrote:
I did something a little radical (for me anyway) and combined clothing into classes. I put each of the following (all sizes)together in their own bin:

Another neat thing about this system is that the kids COULD help you sort and organize since it's simple!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Thank you for all the encouragement! I'll be done, please God, tomorrrow!

As a way to celebrate, I promised the children a picnic at the lake. Daddy has the day off to be with us, and that's the biggest treat of all.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I meant in my last post, IF it pleases God that I finish. While lying in bed tonight the thought crossed my mind that it may have sounded irreverant. That was not my intention.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version