Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Cost cutting recipes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2006 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

I hate to admit this but I have not been as conscientious as I should be as far as groceries and cooking in a money saving manner. I am trying now to rectify this with not using so many convenience foods and by cooking from scratch more. We too have a house on the market that is starting to really squeeze us financially (if you would add us to your prayers to St. Joseph, that would be super! We are also praying for everyone's house sales)

Do you find that it is *truly* more economical to cook from scratch or make your own mixes? Which ones are the most cost saving? What are your favorite recipes?   

I have been so used to cooking with mixes and pre packaged foods that I don't know many recipes for those things. Today for lunch I ventured into generic Velveeta, milk and rotini and I have tried out a recipe for homemade pancake mix which the kids really liked (which I was completely surprised by because they seem to love Bisquick pancakes.) I even think my homemade recipe may be a bit healthier.

Here is my recipe for pancake mix. I got it from the FIAR board a while ago but forgot to credit the gal who posted it!

Pancake mix

4 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup powdered milk
3 TB baking powder
2 TB cinnamon
5 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

In a large bowl, combine mix ingredients. Store in an airtight container. Yield 8 cups (4 batches of pancakes)

To make pancakes:
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
2 cups pancakes mix
1 cup water
Mix well and pour by 1/4 cupfuls on a lightly greased hot griddle. Yield: 10 pancakes per batch

I'm also trying to shop better. I used to not pay much attention to ads but now I have been stocking up on whatever is on sale. Like today at Kroger, they had 10 jars of Kroger spaghetti sauce on sale for $10. So we bought 10. I used to just buy whatever was on my grocery list. Think this will help in the long run?

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hollee, this sounds yummy and a great idea!! WE are trying to bring our grocery bill down also and making more of our own mixes for things as well as baking our own bread, etc.

I find that if I can go to the store alone I spend MUCH less, and definately do not send my dh as he just buys anything and everything that sounds good at the moment

I'm sure you'll get some more great ideas!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Well, for us, our big downfall is eating out. So, if I make something at home and use a prepared mix, I'm still coming out way ahead. I'm not sure I'll ever get to the point where I'm making my own mixes. I consider it a good day when we eat all 3 meals at home

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Meredith-
My dh doesn't send ME to the grocery! He usually goes so we stay within our budget!!

I keep trying to make bread in our machine but it just does not taste as good as the loaf of French you can buy in the store. I just love those! Any tried and true bread recipes that your family loves that you'd be willing to share?

Noreen-
Eating out used to be our big downfall too. It was just too easy and all of us really LIKE eating out. We all have our favorite restaurants too and seemed to rotate. Mine is Outback and I can't believe how easily we dropped money there! It's amazing how expensive eating out is, isn't it?!

Now I am trying to cut back even farther and I am stumped! My dh works in the real estate industry and as the *boom* is leveling out and business isn't abundant, I am sooo trying to help out by cutting back wherever I can.

Back to Top View rm4mrfrus's Profile Search for other posts by rm4mrfrus

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2006 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

A few things I try to do:

I cut out meat a few times a week (which makes me very happy and they don't even notice usually)

When we eat out we split an entree between the 3 of us (usually works, but dd is hungry lately)

I used to have a bread machine and hated how it tasted until I started using it to mix and raise and then took it out of the machine, and baked it rustic style on a stone with cornmeal. Made a huge difference in taste.

My big savings comes from keeping sides onboard and buying the main meat, mushrooms, whatever for a few days. If I don't go to the store everyday I save tons of money.

I have toyed with the idea of trying SHARE which is a not-for-profit organization that rewards volunteerism with discounted groceries. Haven't decided how much food I can easily store that they would deliver. (we have itty bitty fridge, no freezer but lots of dry storage on the boat) You might see if your state has a similar program or if you are in Florida, you are in luck - join SHARE!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2006 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I will look for any suggestions in this arena.
Desperately trying to cut expenses, just wish I'd had the foresight and willpower to do it last year, (or before!) and not this summer as my oldest ds prepares to leave for college!

We got into a bad habit of eating out when my mum was ill. Weeks spent in FL, at the hospital and side trips to the beach between visiting hours, none of which was close to my parents' home,.. so we quickly memorized every fast food menu. Dinners were usually out, also. After that year, spent mostly in a fog, I continued those bad habits (at least the lunchtime drivethrough one,) at home.

I am working on breaking that. Trying to come up with inexpensive lunch menus that will satisfy the big boys, and that appeal to most.
I would love to hear lunch plans!

Dinners are easier for me to plan.
I would like to cut down on the morning poptart routine, and the expensive cereals. Pancakes and french toast are usually our weekend meals. Are they economical enough for weekdays? I need to get out paper and pen and do some calculating.

As far as shopping sales, I try. Do most of you use coupons, too? What about Costco, Sam's Club, or places like that? I also know a few hs mom's who belong to food coops. Are they economical?

Thanks, Hollee, for bringing this up.

I will be staying tuned.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2006 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Jennifer-
I'll have to try just using the dough cycle on the bread machine and baking it in the oven. Any advice on how long and what temp to cook it in the oven?

We try to keep Fridays meatless which must be helping. Maybe I can throw in a few other meatless meals during the week. We do sandwiches several times, esp. after getting home after noon Mass.

Stacy-
Our eating out habit got really bad while I was pg this last time. I had gestational diabetes and an odd thing was that my numbers were always REALLY good after eating at the Outback (I would get Alice Springs chicken, a side salad, 2 orders of the steamed veggies and a piece of bread....that ended up being almost exactly how many carbs I was supposed to have and it was enough chicken to have 2 more meals here at home! We ended up getting that at least once a week for a while there!

We eat oatmeal a lot in the mornings. (not the quick packaged kind- the old fashioned kind.) I discovered that if I put brown sugar on it, my kids loved it. I put some peanut butter in sometimes too for the protein. We also do eggs often. My kids also like bagels with cream cheese, but I don't know how economical that is. I do pancakes pretty often too. I told my crew this morning that next time I made the homemade pancake mix I would leave out the cinnamon because I thought that it would taste weird but they all really liked it and told me to keep it in. Now I am not sure how to figure out if making that mix was cheaper than buying Bisquick at Sam's? I think it was more filling with all the oatmeal.

We do belong to Sam's but it is 45 minutes away so have not been going very often to avoid the cost of all that gas. They are building one closer but I am not all that sure if it really is cheaper to shop there? I have not found any food co ops here to join...seems like they would be cheaper.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We discovered that SAMs sells a lot of meat in bulk for a discount - so we bought 80 lb of hamburger. Next time we may get 15 doz. eggs.

We're in the trying to save mode in groceries too. We've noticed that cheese is more expensive than meat so are trying to cut back some here. I do make my own Mac and Cheese using elbow macaroni, butter, milk and velveeta cheese. I basically cut the cheese in slices, stick the butter in the bottom of the pan, mix in the hot noodles, stir around and add the milk just before baking for just a short time in the oven at 350 - stir and serve.

If I could somehow grow my own veggies, I think we'd save but we don't have any sun to speak of. Making lots of sides, cuts down on meat. Also I've had yummy bean soup, etc. from others but have never managed any bean dishes that tasted like anything on my own. Any bean recipes?

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2006 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Here's what we do to keep the grocery bill low...

Breakfast
Oatmeal and orange juice just about every morning. We sometimes have pancakes and bacon or even doughnuts. I think oatmeal is probably the cheapest breakfast food out there. My kids actually prefer it over dry cereal. I have also made my own granola cereal. I like it a lot and it supplies more protein than oatmeal by itself. Can't find my recipe right now...I'll post it later if I come across it.

Dinner
I frequently stew a whole chicken and then chop up all the meat. This is really easy when the chicken is stewed b/c the meat practically falls off the bone and you can just shred it up w/ your fingers. I divide it up into 2-cup portions and freeze it. Then it's all ready for casseroles, chicken pot pies, chicken tacos, or whatever else calls for chopped chicken. We also do this with ham. We buy a big ham when they're on sale, cook it and have sliced ham for dinner for a few nights. Then we chop up the rest and freeze it in 2-cup portions. I use it in ham & broccoli quiche, potato soup, fried rice, red beans & rice, and casseroles.

Someone asked about bean recipes. I really like lentils. They cook fast and they taste kind of like beef. Here are two recipes for lentil soup:

Lentil-Rice Stew
Saute in large pan:
1/4 c. oil or butter
3/4 c. chopped celery
3/4 c. chopped onion

Add:
6 c. water
3/4 c. lentils

Cook 20 min. Add:
1 qt. canned tomatoes
3/4 c. brown rice (or barley)
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. rosemary
1/2 t. garlic salt

Simmer 45-60 min. (More with Less Cookbook, p. 107)

Basic Lentil Soup
Combine 1/2 lb. lentils and 6 C. water in kettle. Cook 30 min. or until lentils are tender.

Add:
2 carrots, chopped or sliced
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 clove crushed garlic
1 1/2 c. tomato juice
1/2 c. minced parsley (use half as much dried parsley)
1 T. butter
1 1/2 t. salt
dash pepper
1/2 t. dried oregano

Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer just until carrots are tender. Check seasonings and serve. (More-with-Less Cookbook, p. 212)

Here's another bean recipe, but it has meat in it. It's still really economical and lasts quite a long time.

Red Beans & Rice
1 lb. small red beans
1 C. chopped onion
2-3 cloves crushed garlic
1 t. salt
1/4 t. (or more) red pepper (If you like spicy food, add more)
Ham bone or a pork hock
2 C. chopped ham or sausage
Brown rice

Soak beans overnight or use quick soak method. (Quick soaking: Cover beans w/ water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 min., then remove from heat and cover. Let stand for 1 hr.) Pour off soaking water and add 6 C. of fresh water. Bring beans to boil and add onion, garlic, spices, and ham bone. Turn down heat and simmer until beans are tender. (1-2 hours?) Remove ham bone, chop up meat left on the bone. Add meat from ham bone & chopped ham to beans. Simmer until a thick gravy forms. Check seasonings. Add water as neccessary to keep beans from burning. Serve over rice.

Dawn      

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote marcie

This is a yummy recipe and it freezes really well.

Mexican Tortilla Soup

1 small onion, chopped
red pepper flakes, adjust to your liking.
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds stewing beef, tenderized and cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (16 oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 (10 oz) can tomatoes with green chilies
1 (10 1/2 oz) can beef bouillion
1 (14 1/2 0z) can chicken broth
1 (10 1/2 oz) can tomato soup
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

saute onion, pepper flakes, garlic and beef in oil in heavy sauce pan or dutch oven, cooking until beef is browned. Add tomatoes, tomatoes with chilies, beef bouillon, chicken broth, tomato soup,water and chili powder. Simmer, covered for 1 hour. Serve topped with grated cheese and flour tortillas.

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote marcie

Chocolate chip pie

3/4 plus 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 unbaked 9 inch pastry shell

combine margarine, sugar, brown sugar and flour, mixing well. add eggs and beat well. stir in pecans and chocolate. pour filling into pastry shell. bake at 325 for 50 minutes. serve warm!

This recipe is from a restaurant in Natchitoches, Louisiana.

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Marcie,
Thanks for these recipes! They look delicious and I think I am on a cooking spree so will try them out for this weekend!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

shopping the sales and keeping a stocked pantry saves TONS of money.. because once you get into it.. you're buying very little that isn't on sale (that will actually go on sale, some things don't)

I never have liked making mixes and then having to store those to use... I don't really see it saving a great deal of time.. for instance.. the direction to use the pancake mix above say

Quote:
To make pancakes:
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
2 cups pancakes mix
1 cup water

my pancake recipe is only

1 1/4 c flour
2 T sugar
2 t baking pwd
3/4 t salt
3 T oil
1 1/3 c milk
1 egg

so the only real time savings using a mix involves is the time for measuring out

2 T sugar
2 t baking pwd
3/4 t salt

I can do that in under a minute.. so I don't want the mess and hassle of storing mixes.

On the other hand.. dinner's especially I like having some easy to prepare items.. if I've got the stuff to make quick bean burritos we're much less likely to wind up calling for pizza.

I don't like the cooking ahead things.. but like when I get hamburger, I portion it out.. make "balls" (plain hamburger) in the size we use (to save money try reducing the amount you use by 1/4 - you may not even notice it gone), but I also make hamburger patties, meatballs (generic seasoning) and meatloaf to freeze raw.. then I can just grab them to cook.. and can even cook them from frozen. - freeze the meatballs on a cookie sheet then after they're frozen put them in a ziplock.

when I cook up a pot of dried beans.. I cook enough for 3-4 meals.. and put 2-3 meals worth in the freezer.. then I can heat and mash them in a skillet for refried beans, or put them in soup, make chili, whatever.

If you don't like using leftovers right away.. get it sorta ready (like debone chicken) and then freeze it so that next week you can use it.. and then you don't have to have lots of simliar meals in a row (unless you want to)

I grew up spending a lot of time with my Grammy, who was a young teen during the depression.. so she did a lot of this stuff.. plus grew a garden and so I learned to use a pantry system and even though I buy food instead of garden.. it still makes sense to fill my pantry with cheaper food. And with my dh's work schedule.. he's a firefighter.. he makes most of his money during the summer and very little in the winter.. and this system is perfect for that. So I've been doing it a long time.

I've recently added grinding our own wheat.. buy it in bulk and while I can't get the cost down to the cheapest I can get all purpose flour on sale.. I can get it down to the regular price of all purpose flour and the nutrition is soooo much better.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Erin

rm4mrfrus wrote:
Do you find that it is *truly* more economical to cook from scratch or make your own mixes?

It is most definetly alot cheaper to cook from scratch. And not only that but the less processed your shopping cart is the less you pay. On an culture interest note Australians mostly cook from scratch.

Another hint to get your grocery bill down is to plan your menu before hand and only shop to the menu. This reduces greatly. Although I do agree that also grabbing those specials is beneficial. I have also found that shopping for a few weeks at a time is cheaper than one week at a time.

rm4mrfrus wrote:
Which ones are the most cost saving? What are your favorite recipes?

What recipes are you after? Snacks or meals?
rm4mrfrus wrote:
I even think my homemade recipe may be a bit healthier.

It is definetly healthier to cook your own, non of the nasty adititives.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

We have finally found our breakfast groove. Oatmeal, farina (cream of wheat) or homemade granola with fruit are the staples and occasionally I will make pancakes, bagels, or waffles. What works here is to make a huge batch, whatever the recipe and I multiply it x 6, or whatever, then we have pancakes, waffles, or granola on hand for a few weeks.

This is my granola recipe, I'd love to see Dawn's too.

4 cups oatmeal
1/4 c dry milk
1/2 c wheat germ (this sometime gives my toddler a rash-can be omitted)
1-2 TBLS cinnamon
2-3 TBLS brown sugar
(You can also add 1 cup of coconut if your children like it, mine don't)
Mix all dry ingredigents together.
Combine:
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup- can add more if you like
1 TBLS vanilla
Heat on stove top until warm, pour over dry ingredients, mix until all is coated. Spread in large pan ( I use a rooster) Bake at 250 for an hour turning from time to time or 300 for half an hour. The bigger the batch the more time required. We like our a little crunchy, so I like to see it brown up a bit.

I have given this as a Christmas gift to family in decorative jars, we sometimes add chocolate chips to it on festive occasions.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

In this same vein, are there any cookbooks you'd recommend for filling, nutritious, good-tasting (and looking) meals for less? Dawn already mentioned More with Less Cookbook from the Mennonites that looks good. Any other suggestions?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Maddie wrote:
Spread in large pan ( I use a rooster)

Oooohh....Maddie, I'd love to see that pan! (My apologies to Maddie.)

Mary G wrote:
Any other suggestions?

I love the

Make A Mix Cookbook, even though I haven't used it much lately. I go through spurts when I use it more often for baked goods and meals. Yesterday I made a batch of Hot Cocoa--most definitely cheaper than a store mix!
HOT CHOCOLATE MIX from the Make A Mix Cookbook
10-2/3 c. powdered milk
1-6oz. jar of powdered creamer
4 c. powdered sugar
2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix Well. Put in a large airtight container. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool dry place. To make Hot Chocolate, mix 3 TBLS. Hot Chocolate Mix with 1 cup hot water.

This is the alternate version if you don't want to buy sweetened cocoa powder that is added to milk.

THere are many dry mixes like Brownie Mix, Cornbread Mix, and one of my favorite: Cake Mix. There are meat mixes and sauce mixes and the 2nd half of the book is all recipes. You can look at mine if you want Mary. I also have the More with Less, which is jammed with simple whole food recipes.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

momwise wrote:
Maddie wrote:
Spread in large pan ( I use a rooster)

Oooohh....Maddie, I'd love to see that pan! (My apologies to Maddie.)

One time use only!

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Oh gosh, thanks for all the additional tips and recipes!! I have also gotten some off Magnum Opus and tonight I made a batch of cinnamon rolls (to practice before I make them for a bake sale) and 8 balls of pizza dough to freeze.

Jodie,
I'd love to hear more about a pantry system...I seem to always run out of everything at the same time. What are staples that you always keep on hand in your pantry?   I think I need to improve that aspect of my cooking.

Erin, I need snack and meal recipes! I am really enjoying cooking from scratch lately. It does not all turn out as good as processed stuff, but I think I am improving. Although one snack the kids have about every night is popcorn. We have switched from microwave popcorn in the last few months to stovetop kind (don't have an air popper) That was a big savings and now I think we will take that next step and buy the huge bag from Sam's and freeze it in Ziploc bags to save even more $. (We were buying a 2 lb bag of popcorn at Walmart for $0.88 and learned that the big 50 lb bag at Sam's is only $11 so that is about half the price.)

Maddie, copying your granola recipe for this weekend. I love granola! It just might be our Christmas gift this year as well!   I'd love Dawn's recipe too!

Gwen, is it cheaper to make your own hot chocolate? Our family goes through gobs of it...copying that recipe too!

Dawn, I have a bag of lentils in the pantry right now...I am going to make one of your soups also. We have really begun to like soups this year. Before none of the kids or dh would eat soup. Now we love it. I will have to find my recipe for cabbage soup that is one of our new very favorites. It is the only recipe I have that calls for cabbage. I never used it before. Now we buy cabbage all the time for this recipe!

Maddie-sure would hate to clean THAT pan! LOL

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Dawnie wrote:

Lentil-Rice Stew
Saute in large pan:
1/4 c. oil or butter
3/4 c. chopped celery
3/4 c. chopped onion

Add:
6 c. water
3/4 c. lentils

Cook 20 min. Add:
1 qt. canned tomatoes
3/4 c. brown rice (or barley)
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. rosemary
1/2 t. garlic salt

Simmer 45-60 min. (More with Less Cookbook, p. 107)

Dawn      

I made this tonight -- just changing the recipe to use minced garlic with the sauted vegetables and leaving out the garlic salt. It was great! Also, made homemade corn tortilla chips and those were a big hit too! A little salad and dinner was served.

Thanks Dawn for the recipe!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version