Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: my nephew has meningitis Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 03 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Praying for Isaac, Mary Alice.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2006 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Thanks so much for the update, Mary Alice. We will continue to pray for Isaac's recovery.
Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 05 2006 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

My nephew Isaac is still extremely ill, and the doctors are not willing to say that he will definitely survive meningitis. His fevers are still spiking, but since the shunt was put in to drain fluid from his skull, there have been no seizures. The doctors decided that since he was still having fevers, they wouldn't try to wean him off the ventilator yet. He remains heavily sedated. It will be a while before the extent of any damage to his brain can be assessed. And this is all from a tick bite!!!!!

Thank you for your continued prayers, and please keep praying. It is so comforting to his family to know that so many people are praying for Isaac.
Mary Alice
Back to Top View wamegomom's Profile Search for other posts by wamegomom

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2006 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Mary Alice, We will continue to pray for Isaac and his family. I am sorry he is suffering so. How scary.

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2006 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

We'll be praying for Isaac

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2006 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Praying here for Isaac

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 06 2006 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! I just got this email from Isaac's mom, Cathy, and it is so wonderful I had to post it. Praise God and keep praying for a complete recovery!!! Thank you all so, so very much for praying. Look at this!!!! WOW!
Mary Alice

Good morning everyone, and I mean good morning! Things are just moving so quickly now and in a positive light! Yesterday afternoon they started to wean Isaac off some things. They had taken him off most of his IV's and started giving his medicine through his feeding tube. They also started weaning him off the ventilator. They put it on minimal help in that he would do most of the breathing on his own and if he got below a certain level the ventilator would kick in just to help out a bit. I talked to the Respiratory Therapists each time they came in and they said he was breathing well on his own. Every once in a while the alarm would go off, but that was just when he would take a BIG breath (sign of relief more like it).   They started around 6:00 last evening to wean him off the Versed (which is the sedative) his cranial pressure did very well with the first decrease. About 10:30ish last night he was quite awake and showing signs of understanding what was going on. The nurse had to calm him down quite a bit because he was beginning to realize he had all this equipment on and wanted to pull some of the cord out! They keep him uncovered most of the time to help keep his temp down, but the nurse had noticed that he was beginning to shiver a bit. She was talking to him and he was looking at her as if he was understanding...so she asked him if he was cold...He shook his head "yes" (what a big step!). So she said she would go get him a warm blanket and she did. When she came back he was acting a little aggitated, so she was trying to calm him down. She then asked him if she went and got a movie if that would help, he again shook his head "yes", so she started to ask him what movie and suggested "Lion King" but of course got no response, and she asked him again and he gave her this look of "NO". So then she asked him, Okay if not "Lion King", how about "Shark Tails" and he shook his head "yes" to that! Wow...she was so excited! This nurse the last couple of nights has been really good! Then looking at the time she said..."Oh...Isaac, you know it is getting pretty late, how bout we just get some sleep. Let's close our eyes and see if we can sleep." And he closed his eyes and started to relax (you can usually tell by the monitors).

She was telling me what was going to happen...they were going to decrease his Versed again at Midnight, which after that he really was beginning to wake up and getting very aggitated with all the equipment, she said that he was moving great on both sides. She said he even crossed his legs during the night as he was sleeping. Which is something Isaac always does, when I wake him up in the morning it would be unusual if I don't find him with his knees bent and his legs crossed. I took this as a wonderful sign!!! Then at 6:00 this morning they totally took him off his sedative. He is really waking up... The next thing that they will do this morning is extubate him (meaning that they will take his breathing tube out) and see how that goes! They said they will watch him for a couple of hours to make sure everything is going well and at that time, once they make sure he will not need to be reintubate (put back on the breathing help) they will remove his feeding tube! WOW!!! Talk about moving fast...I know the doctors said in 5 - 7 days that we would see significant improvement, but WOW!!! The nurse last night thought that if everything went well, he should be moved to the PEDS floor as early as Monday!!! She said that she would probably miss him when she came back on Monday (since she had the rest of the week off)! But, would definitely have to make her way over to see him! He has grasped the hearts of so many nurses...

So that is what we have for today!! Just wonderful news and I'm am happy but shocked that everything is moving so fast!!! Will keep everyone up to date on how it went.
I know Mary is over there with him right now, she sent Joe home!!! We will definitely let everyone know when he is up to more visitors!!! We love you all and thank you all for the support you have been giving us...it is greatly appreciated!!!

Keep him in your prayers so that everything goes well and we can get him to the PEDS floor to recover the rest of the way!

Love ya,
Cathy

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

thanks so much for the beautiful update, mary alice (and cathy). praise God indeed!!! so happy to hear isaac's on the road to recovery.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Yeah, God!!

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

YAY GOD!! is exactly right!

I just heard from my sister in law, Cathy, and Isaac continues to improve. He's still in the ICU, but even though he had some raspy breathing episodes last night that required suctioning, he is breathing on his own and is not on the ventilator. The shunt is still in, but Cathy says there has been no intracranial fluid draining today and his intracranial pressures are in the normal range. He was sedated last night, and as that is wearing off he can get a bit restless and want to pull out tubes, but Mom and the nurses are nearby. Cathy said it was such a relief to walk into the room and be able to see his face without the ventilator. It sounds like his body is responding to the antibiotics, thank God!!

Thanks for the prayers, and please continue them.
Much love,
Mary Alice

Wendy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2006 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Wendy

I hadn't been able to post but have been praying. I'm so happy to hear Isaac is improving. We'll continue to pray for him and his family.

Momma to Grace, Sam, Ben, Maggie, Mary Cate, and Jamie
Back to Top View Wendy's Profile Search for other posts by Wendy

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2006 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Praise God!! We are still praying here!
Many prayers going up for he and his family!!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 07 2006 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Deo Gratias! I'm so happy to hear things are progressing. Be assured of continued prayers.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2006 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

Here's Cathy's latest note about Isaac. PRAISE YOU, JESUS!!!!!!! Oh, and all of us mothers will appreciate Cathy's joy that for the last two nights, the nurse lets Cathy sleep in the bed with Isaac, and he snuggles all around her. What a comfort for them both. Thanks so much for all the prayers. There are terrific prayer warriors on this forum!!!
Gratefully,
Mary Alice
p.s. if anyone else feels led to, we are invoking the intercession of Cardinal Kung, whose cause is under investigation by the Vatican. He was the Bishop of Shanghai and was imprisoned by the Communists and tortured in solitary for over 30 years. With 4 Chinese children, the Cardinal is a big heavenly friend in our house!

Just a short note and then I am going to get sleep...last night was kind of a bear!!!

Lots of things are happening today...they will be taking Isaac totally off the sedative today. That means he will be waking up and knowing more of his surrounding. The doctor said that this will mean talking more and being more coherent. He made it since 5:00 am Sunday morning without having to have any pressure drained off his brain...so they will be thinking about removing the pressure release valve in his head. This will be wonderful since that will take care of another cord that he could pull!

He was moving constantly on his right side yesterday and took advantage of Dad not watching very closely and pulled his feeding tube out!! They tried to get it back to the spot it originally was in the small intestine, but was unable to do that. By 9:00 which was medicine time they had gotten it as far as the lower end of his stomach so they thought they would go ahead and try to see if it would work. He was able to keep everything down so far...which to me is good because it gets him ready to accept liquid foods through his mouth!!!

He was becoming more aware of things last evening and by 3:00 this morning his eyes were wide open...this is the first time I have seen his eyes since we went in. The nurse had asked me when his birthday was, just to see if she could use that for conversation with him. I told her it was May 15th and that we went to Hutch to the indoor water park. She asked him if he had fun on the slides for his birthday and he shook his head yes. She showed him how to say "yes" with sign language and asked him to show her and he did. Alice said that she asked him to stick out his tongue yesterday to help them suction out the back of his throat and he did that for her also. So he is responding to commands which is excellent!!! They think he will do really well coming out of it today!

I guess they have him on an IV medication for the meningitis that will need to be taking for 3 weeks...so today they will also be putting a stent back in so that they can intravenously give that medicine to him and so we can do that at home also. So that must mean that they think we will be getting out of here before 3 weeks!!! Gives us some light at the end of the tunnel anyway!

Well, right now I am so tired that is all I can think of...sounds like today is going to be a busy day. I'm looking forward to see what improvement he makes today!

Love you all,
Cathy

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2006 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

So glad to hear this good news. Prayers for Isaac.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Mary Alice,
Do you have any further updates on Isaac? He remains in our prayers.
Blessings,
Jen

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version