Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: VBAC success stories Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Before my last delivery, I had had six unmedicated births following about 18 hours of labor when I total all babies together. I never labore dmore than five hours. I never had stitch or a tear. I pretty much liked labor and delivery . I taught Bradley classes for years. And I was pretty confident. Then, I had an emergency C-section. It hurt when I left the hospital. It hurt a week later. And it still hurt a year after that.

Now, I am "all systems go" for a VBAC as long as this little girl will stay head down when it really counts.

I am not confident at all. Actually, I'm rather nervous about the whole thing. I've never been afraid of birth before and now I'm afraid of being afraid (as in I know that fear is not your friend in labor). So...tell me all your VABC success stories. Heck, if you had a repeat section when you wanted a VBAC and everything turned out way better than the first section, tell me that too. Tell me anything, just make it positive!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I had Annika after two C/S. No problem...easiest birth in history .

You know there were problems with Paul's delivery, but he was huge, so I discount it. Go for the VBAC.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm just thrilled for you that "all systems are go!"

I had a c-section in 1999 with our twins because our dd (baby A) was frank breach. The ob tried to flip her but no luck. I had such a difficult time recovering from the loss of blood and ended up with an infected incision on top of it. Add all that up with nursing twins! Yeesh!

When I was expecting our 5th, I was under the care of a midwife. I brought her a copy of the c-section surgical report & she assured me that a VBAC would be no problem.   I had an epidural with our 1st 2 dc (twins were #3 & 4) but decided no meds with #5 (thinking she might be our last).

My water broke and we headed to the hospital shortly after as there was a blizzard predicted that day (I kid you not!). After I was admitted, the on-call ob informed us that the new protocol is once a c-section, always a c-section (this was in 2003). I was quite surprised, considering that I had not heard a peep of this from the midwife the past 9 months!

Now for the good (positive!) news - the ob let me "try" - nothing else was going on with a blizzard raging outside - & TA DA! VBAC, no meds! And it gets better - repeat performance with #6!

And no, unlike you, I do NOT "like" labor & delivery ...

With all the prayers from the ladies here, you'll do great!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Well, I'm just a one-time VBAC veteran. My son was double footling breech, emergency C (at 10 cm!!!), 8 doctors, the whole thing. My daughter was born in 6 relatively easy hours of labor. No one ever suggested that I do anything but VBAC. (I understand that's not the case these days, so that may be adding to your anxiety. I think it's a liability issue rather than a success issue.)

With my VBAC, I never had any pain near the incision area. No one even asked me about it! We're all fine (and still in one piece) over 8 years later.

I consider us a true success story.

Hang in there!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

My first child, Jack was a 40hour labour and emergency C/S, I have had four planned homebirths since (one of the planned homebirths(no4) was in hospital due to waters breaking and 36 hours later still not in labour, so off to hospital to be induced).

I had wanted my last baby at a birthing centre it was the cheaper option at the time and money was a concern but they wouldn't have me! - a c/s history I'm afraid, and all those other natural births counted for nothing.

When I had Joseph(no4) in hospital, they had all sorts of straps and monitors and restrictions put on me due to the c/s history and I felt that it would hinder my need for freedom of movement and control in labour, it turned out to be a very scary labour at the end, but not due to the restrictions from c/s history, and so I thank God that I was where I needed to be to ensure my baby's wellbeing.

I can understand your fear though, Elizabeth or lack of confidence. When I had my last baby, Michael(no5)which was the next homebirth after the frightening experience in hospital I think I had that fear and panic 'etched' in my recent memory of birthing and I felt a great deal of panic as the homebirth labour started. In my mind I was retracing the last birth in my head. I remember trying to give those fears to Our Lady and trusting in that, my husband rang a particular lady for prayers at that moment and she happened to be in front of the Blessed Sacrament in adoration (mobile phone) and I trusted in her intecessory prayers as well, that helped me immensely and at that moment I chose to turn my mind down the path of my best birth to date and that birth topped it - best birth ever! (11pounder too!)

It would be wise to check at your hospital how they plan to handle you - so that you know before hand if there will be any difference in the way they assist you in the birth from your previous ones, will they give you a 'trial of labour'?(less time to give birth basically) - you should feel free to express to them you do not want too much restriction on your time considering your good history, though if you have them in 5 hours that shouldn't be a big concern. Are you someone who really needs complete freedom and less monitoring? Some women prefer all that extra stuff and feel safe with it, I happen to be the opposite - we are all different. If you are used to it to some degree, then this should not worry you at all. If it is a concern try to talk to the hospital now to sort out a suitable compromise that you know you will be happy with.

Of course, Australian hospitals might have a different protocol than U.S hospitals but I think we tend to follow the American model.

The truth is a VBAC is safer than a repeat c/s, as the mortality risks (which are small) with c/s are greater than the mortality risk on rupture of scar.

So yes - births after c/s ARE a big success , and please do not allow anyone to tell you that this one mightn't be, as those 'odds' have not really changed from before you had the c/s(depending on the reason you had the c/s it might). As Brenda said, you will have tremendous prayer support and that is a great comfort!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 2:55am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Elizabeth:

No personal VBAC histories here, but we were convinced of the safety of homebirth mostly due to all the VBAC moms in MI having homebirths. There must have been 30 couples in the room, of those most had had VBACs already and many had already had VBACs at home. It was at an informational meeting when we were looking into various options for our 2nd child.

Also know my sis's first child was c-sec due to position of the baby and prolonged labor. All 9 of her other dc have been VBACs and no problems from previous c-section. Only difference is that doc didn't want her to have an epidural with a VBAC - but then I don't think she wanted an epidural anyways and it meant less folks pushing drugs on her!

The other VBAC I know about personally was a mom who was diagnosed with CPD with first pregnancy and had a C-section. She went out of state for a VBAC with her second child - an 11 pounder that was delivered totally naturally, without even a tear! She was the VBAC mom that told us about the birth center we went to for our first.

By the way, VBAC moms are the best sources of information about natural birth, where to find a non-paranoid doctor, etc.!!!

Also, Elizabeth, are you heading for the homestretch with this pregnancy? Are you sure the worrying isn't partially the normal homestretch panic - and the c-sec just happens to be what your mind has grabbed on. I'm not wanting to be insensitive since I have no personal experience - and I'm not asking the questions to pry, just a thought to throw out. I do know my homestretch panic is related to being or feeling out of control and whatever I do to take charge, always helps. So finding out how doc and hospital might respond to VBAC ahead of time might help by putting you in the drivers seat so to speak and allowing you a chance to formulate plans.
I know I always called the hospital anonymously to find out the on-call doc around my due date(we were homebirthing in a state with no medical back-up). I always felt better doing this - though there wasn't much I could do to change who the on-call doc was. Just knowing was better.

Janet

Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Elizabeth,

I have never had a C-section and I can't tell from your post if you are worried that you won't be able to have a V-Back or if you are afraid the baby would be breech again and would have to have a section. I know some people/dr say that once you have a breech baby that very likely the rest will be. (which is false)   I wanted to tell you my experience with a breech baby. My 5th was a planned homebirth but during delivery, we discovered she was breech. (frank) Called the hospital (because we live 20 minutes from anything) and they said they would do a section. We left, prepared for a section. Right before we got there, I had the urge to push. When I arrived, I was 10 cm and she was born, naturally, 10 minutes later. No section--no problems. I have gone on to have 2 more children and neither were breech. Did your breech baby happen to have the cord around the neck and do you know if your placenta was high? My midwife said that the majority of breeches she sees had the cord around the neck several times. She has a theory that they may need to be born that way because they would be choked if they came out head first and the placenta was high. Just a theory-- was interesting to me. It makes sense. Anyways, just sharing about my breech.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 19 2006 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

She was a footling breech. The placenta was fine. I don't think her cord was wrapped. She flipped back and forth from breech to vertex four times in the last two weeks. But when she stuck her foot in the birth canal, and I was four centimeters dilated, they feared cord prolapse and they said she could not possibly turn. So...we sectioned.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Elizabeth,
My 3rd baby was c-section due to breach position.
I've had 5 vbac deliveries since with no complications from it.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote mary

elizabeth, having just delivered a frank breech vaginally, i can imagine how tough that section was emotionally. i don't have any vbac experience and i wish you peace with however this baby's birth turns out.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2006 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Alice R

Hi Elizabeth!
Baby #1 and #2 were vaginal deliveries. But, during the delivery, an arm broke due to the enormous size of these babies.   

I requested a C-section for baby #3 and the OB agreed that with the size she was showing us, it was probably safer.
Baby #3 was a smooth C-section.

Baby #4 appeared smaller. We discussed a C-section. We discussed a VBAC. I thought it over and over. I decided to go with a C-section even though she was sonograming to be less than 10 pounds. I just had this unexplainable fear of my uterus rupturing. I begged the OB to take her early and he took her at 37 weeks. He never does anything early-he likes the babies fully cooked but he agreed...I was shocked.

During the C-section, he told me "Oh, we did the right thing! Your incision is stretched to the max and if we went the full term, I think the baby would've ruptured the uterus with the weight and size of her" He kept saying "Thank God" and then said "you just had that feeling, right Alice? You kept worrying about that uterus the whole time" He told me labor would've ripped the whole thing open. I'm sick just thinking about it.

So, the point is...the repeat C-section was a life saving thing. People fear the (repeat) C-section and dread the (repeat) C-section but it can save lives. I am an example of that now.

My repeat C-section was MUCH better and far less painful than the first. Emotionally it was much much easier. I knew what to expect and was prepared both emotionally and physically.

I am 4 months post-C section and it hurts but I feel like i'm healing up quicker and better than the first one.

My bad news (which is totally unrelated to your question and your specific situation) is that if I have another baby, I will be on bedrest for the entire pregnancy and the baby will be taken at 35 weeks to ensure that the size does not rupture my uterus.    Ok, well that is a whole 'nother thread.   

Blessings,
Alice   

Back to Top View Alice R's Profile Search for other posts by Alice R Visit Alice R's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Baby #2 was C-section because of breech position and other things.....very fast, very traumatic....I had to be put all the way under and dh wasn't even allowed in (I guess because they didn't take the time to prep him??). After all that drama and trauma, I did some reading and had baby #3 natural(pitocin, but no meds). All babies since have been vbac.

Reading Bradley and Sears was very helpful and empowering to me, Elizabeth. Do you still have your Bradely books? If "all systems are go", I say go for it!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Donna

Elizabeth wrote:
Heck, if you had a repeat section when you wanted a VBAC and everything turned out way better than the first section, tell me that too. Tell me anything, just make it positive!

Elizabeth,
Even if it turns out that you need a C-Section...everything will be alright. I know the last one was not a pleasant experience for you...but it may not be that way the next time. I've had 7 C-Sections and they were all different. The last one I had was the easiest with really very little pain and very quick physical healing (which I am sure was all God's grace.)

I'll be praying for your peace of mind...not to be anxious about the delivery.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Donna wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Heck, if you had a repeat section when you wanted a VBAC and everything turned out way better than the first section, tell me that too. Tell me anything, just make it positive!

Elizabeth,
Even if it turns out that you need a C-Section...everything will be alright.

I'll second this. After 5 c-sections, I will say that recovery was easier each time because I knew my body better and knew what I needed to heal. My third was supposed to be a VBAC, but sweet Timmy didn't cooperate, BUT that was probably my favorite babymoon and one of the easiest recoveries. My prayers are for you for a successful VBAC, but moreso for peace regardless of how this little one enters the world.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth -- have no fears about VBAC. Joe, my 17 yos, was an emergency C (primarily because my doc wouldn't believe me when I said I knew when I conceived ) but all four of my next were VBAC -- the last, in Austria, was the only problematic one because my cervix wouldn't open beyond about 3 (think there may have been scar tissue left from a cold-knife procedure after Maggie was born)and in Austria, they prefer to only give homeopathic type drugs (they finally, grudgingly gave me a muscle relaxer and JP was born about 10 minutes later).

Don't worry -- be happy!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

I VBAC'd my daughter years after my son's emergency c-section. I consider it one of my body's personal (and very very few) success stories. Love that my body did it...no meds on the VBAC either.

Of course you are surrounded in prayer

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Kieron (#5) was a breech and therefore C-section.
Aidan and Patrick were both VBAC -- no problems whatsoever with the delivery for either of them.   In fact, DH delivered Aidan since the doctor didn't take us seriously about the baby's imminent arrival -- and Patrick was delivered by nurses for roughly the same reason

No meds either. Paddy was a painful though short delivery but that was because he was induced early because of the NH -- double pitocin dose

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2006 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Elizabeth,

Praying for your peace of mind.

No personal history, but a dear friend had #3 C-section due to breech position and has then gone on and had 7 babies VBAC.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2006 at 3:11am | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Hi Elizabeth,

My first, Johnathan, was born via c-section because he was too big. (9 lbs 1/2 oz.).

All 7 of the others were VBAC with 0 complications. With 6 of the 7 they used pitocin to either induce or speed things up. With 2 I had an epidural (#2 and #6), 2 I used only breathing methods (#3 and #7), and the others I used hypnosis (#4, #5, and #8). I would have to say hypnosis was the best (easiest, most painless).

All the doctors tried to *scare* me with horror stories about what *could* happen if I went VBAC - every time .

Too many hospitals and doctors try to tell you they *don't allow* VBAC's. Legally they cannot force you to have a c-section and they cannot refuse to allow you to labor and deliver at any hospital once labor is established. It is the law. You have the right to refuse a c-section (or any other treatment, including IV's and/ or hep-locks!) for any reason.

With my youngest, Jack, they required me to have a consult with the cheif OB because I had a previous c-section (even though it was 20 years ago and I had already delivered 6 other babies VBAC).    

He read my birth plan and said, "I dont' think you will be able to deliver at this hospital. You have too many unreasonable demands." I asked him to tell me which items he considered "unreasonable". He said that I would have to have an IV or a hep-lock and I couldn't eat while in labor. I started laughing,   thanked him for his time, and went on my way.

I still delivered at that hospital. I did not have a hep-lock or an IV, I was only monitored for 20 minutes at a time, and I ate and drank what I wanted while in labor. I got everything I wanted and had listed in my birth plan, including leaving in less than 24 hours. You just have to stick up for yourself and have others with you who will support your decisions/choices.

You are paying them. You are the boss unless there is a medical emergency. You can decide what treatment to allow and what to not allow.

Make sure when you pre-register or register at the hospital that you read the consent for treatment form and explicitly write "with informed written consent for each procedure" on it, otherwise you are giving them a blank check to do what they want.

Sorry, I ran off on that one! This subject is something I am very passionate about.

You will do fine Elizabeth. Trust in God and in your own body - they both know what to do.

YsiC,
Krisann
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2006 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Just wanted to add some encouragement! You can do it!

My first was a surprise c-section (short cord) after 36 hours of labor. Then, before I had #2, I read everything I could about VBAC, to help me know that I could do it. #2 and #3 were both VBACS and went very smoothly and were much shorter! You can do it! Safely!

You and baby are in my prayers.
Jen
Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version