Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Eat Well, Live Well Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 31 2006 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I'm in. I posted a "Wanted" on our local Freecycle list after I read this and had a pedometer within hours. Forgot it today until quite recently. Too bad because today was the day of my weekly walk with a friend and I also got another short exercise walk during the day. Of the perhaps 30 or so steps I've taken since putting on the pedometer, it's recorded none.

So how often and in what format will people be reporting their stats here? I have been participating in a similar challenge on a forum for diet-and-exercise logging software I use, and catch up every few days reporting certain information for each day (weight, calories, a sort of nutrition score and exercise.) I really enjoy keeping statistics for some reason, and exercise and vegetables are both things I need more of (fruit not so much thanks to frequent homemade smoothies.)
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 31 2006 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Sounds like we might need a new standard for measuring exercise. Suggestions???

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2006 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Taffy wrote:
I'd like to be in but I simply cannot get a pedometer to accurately measure my steps....
Any help/suggestions for me?

Taffy, I have an unwieldly amount of weight to lose, but I haven't had a problem with our "Dollar Tree" pedometers. Are you wearing it on the side of your waist? Maybe it is too far in front? I wear mine right over my hip bone, where it probably jars the pedometer the most with the strike of the foot on the ground traveling up the leg to the hip?   

I would love to walk first thing in the am, but my dh usually leaves by 5 or 6, at the latest. I may try "walking" in front of the tv, while watching the morning news. Back in high school, when I was very thin, I used to jog in place every night, while watching some show up in my bedroom. My parents must have loved that "thud, thud, thud,..." while they were downstairs!
Evening walks are fun, but they do tend to the moseying along pace, rather than a more determined gait. I am seeing the need to get my boys into a regular routine for exercise (even though they run around all afternoon.) I am thinking each am, after about an hour and half or so of reading, we will take a walk. I want them to see, earlier than I did, that fitness is a forever effort/commitment, not just for high school or college days.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 31 2006 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Elizabeth,
I think one of my girls bought a pedometer from the dollar section of our Target recently. I've never tested hers, so I can't say if it seems to work or not.
If they work like the ones Rebecca got from Dollar Tree, you could get them for the whole family.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Sounds like we might need a new standard for measuring exercise. Suggestions???

I've never even seen a pedometer much less used one, so I've no advice/opinions/suggestions there, but what I use (every year for 3 years with my sis) is the SELF Challenge site. Once you log in you record your stats and then log each workout - time and type and it calculates the calories burned. Can also log a food diary (I use Calorie King to find food info) and here is the real point for us - they have Buddy Forums. We could have a 4 Real Learning Buddy Forum over there perhaps, I wonder if it could be linked here...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

I changed the position of my pedometer and managed to log 2,957 steps between my 6:23 p.m. post and a (rather late -- 1-ish) bedtime. This pedometer doesn't look like an expensive one, but I got it from a Freecycler. It's a Sportline Electronic Pedometer SDC.

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

I've tried using a pedometer in every location possible and, for whatever reason, I've had very little success. I've tried several different kinds with similar results. Maybe I tread too softly?

I did look at some online yesterday. This one looked promising Latest Model Omron HJ112 Digital Premium Pedometer but I'm leery of buying a new one only to have the same frustrating result.

The Self Challenge that Jennifer posted about looks fabulous though. I like the food plan and the exercise goals are certainly doable. I think I'll be using that. Anyone care to join me? It would be GREAT if we could have a group of us here making up a buddy forum there. I've been on other fitness forums and have felt uncomfortable from some of the posts. I'm sure I wouldn't have that problem if there was a Real Learning forum there.

Or maybe we could have a fitness/wellness thread here to keep ourselves accountable?

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2006 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

So has anyone been doing this challenge? I've been using the pedometer and was already logging exercise and what I eat and drink with software.

Theresa

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2006 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Can this be right? I went to Dollar Tree and bought pedometers for the kids and myself. The first day I used it, I put it on when I got dressed in the morning, and by 1:00, I was up to 9,000 steps. Then my 2 year-old reset it    That wasn't even with me going for a walk...just going about my regular routine. Seems like I should be about a size 8 rather than a 14 if I'm walking that much!!

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2006 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I either keep forgetting to put on the pedometer, or it falls off, and I lose the step count. So, I counted my steps around our block , which is just shy of 1/2 mile. I came up with 925 steps.
I figure, to reach the 10,000 steps needed, I should be walking about 5 miles a day. I do not have time to do this in one fell swoop, so I am trying to get out before breakfast, mid-morning, after lunch, and after dinner for 1-3 laps around the block. (I know our neighbors wonder what in the world that wacky homeschool mom is up to now! )
My vegetable and fruit additions have been easier to add!

God Bless,
Stacy in beautiful MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

We walked 1.8 miles to and from the grocery store today...

YEAH!!!! Can I our efforts? - I'm just excited we did it!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 05 2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I got sick the day we were supposed to start. I've done no measureable exercise. I've eaten nearly nothing and I've lost two pounds. But I wasn't supposed to be losing...

Best laid plans..

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version