Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What do you watch on TV? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 28 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Lissa wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Lissa wrote:

And The Office! Cracks. Me. Up.

Ditto Lissa! Michael Scott is so out-of-line hilarious...I actually worked with someone just like him IRL before becoming a SAHM. And the rest of them! Did you see the finale with Pam and Jim!?!

I cried like a baby. And then I couldn't stop replaying the scene in my mind all the next day. I am totally caught up in it!

Have you watched the British version? Equally funny. We got the whole run from Netflix.

I tivo'd the episodes on Season Pass and rewound the finale show a number of times because, like you, I just couldn't get enough of it.

I watched the British version twice but then could not find anymore episodes. Now I know where to find them!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

I think the British version only ran one season, or was it two? In any case, make sure you get the two-hour special that aired after the regular season ended. It's a "one year later" (or two? can't recall) reunion. You won't want to miss it.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

We cancelled our cable in Feb. My boys are missing espn with the basketball finals! But otherwise, I have been surprised at their nonchalance over dropping from 50 or so stations to 8.
I used to like watching old movies on TCM, or we would watch History channel or animal shows. I liked one cooking show mentioned, Good Eats. I just don't seem to have much free time to watch (usually would watch when nursing late in the evenings to stay awake, but ds is weaned now .)
Once in a while I will catch ER. I started watching it way back when to check the accuracy of the show (the nurse in me!-when I was in nursing school, we had a letter-writing protest over a show called "Nightengales" back in early '80's-had nothing to do with Florence!) I might see two or three episodes a season now, of ER.
We are now saving to buy our favorite movies (renting twice a month.) Cutting the $48 a month for the "basic" cable, we are saving most of the $, and buy a movie every other month.
The boys will watch "Arthur" if we have free time.
God Bless,
Stacy in MI

p.s. I am a fan of older shows. I would watch "I Love Lucy" every day of the week, if I could.

Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Alice R

I am loving Shalom in the Home on TLC channel. A rabbi from NJ travels around the country helping families have some "shalom (peace) in the home" Religion is not discussed-only basic values that I'm sure we all embrace. It's an uplifting show.

Blessings,
Alice R

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

We love The Office too!!!! Pam and Jim are the best!

My must see shows are...Grey's Anatomy, The Office, Law and Order SVU, 4400, Dead Zone, House, Veronica Mars (I love a teenage detective!), American Idol, What Not To Wear and Cold Case.
My shows I watch which are totally inappropiate on every level are Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me on FX.
My nephew just gave my season one of Lost and 24 yesterday. I can't believe if I watch them how much time I will waste this summer on tv. I think I will have to pick one over the other!!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Marybeth wrote:
My shows I watch which are totally inappropiate on every level are Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me on FX.

Marybeth, I've been curious about Rescue Me. Can you tell me more about it? In what ways it is inappropriate?

Dh and I watched Lost all year (we have Season 1 on DVD which we will re-watch this summer) and we are looking for something else to watch together. I can't abide by The Sopranos so we are looking for something else!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

stacykay wrote:

I used to like watching old movies on TCM, or we would watch History channel or animal shows. I liked one cooking show mentioned, Good Eats.

Ditto to all that. Lots of science on Good Eats.

Also, I just finished an insect unit study with dd (Great Science Adventures: Insects and Arachnids by Dinah Zike). Repeatedly dd interjected facts about insects and sure enough these facts were the next ones to be presented in the unit study. She really knew a great deal and I have to credit Animal Planet. It's her favorite channel.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 28 2006 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Kathryn UK wrote:
Doctor Who (our weekly highlight, though too scary for our 7yo - last night's episode had people being zapped by their TV sets

My kids are loving Dr. Who. We rented the original 1963 series, and are hoping to go through all the Doctors. Also...we can't wait for the US to catch up, so we are getting the current series from the UK. Fun!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2006 at 3:56am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

MacBeth wrote:
...we can't wait for the US to catch up, so we are getting the current series from the UK. Fun!

Are you getting the first revived series with Christopher Eccleston, or the first episodes of the current one with David Tennant? I would suggest the Christopher Eccleston series first as a better jumping in point - there is some overlap of characters and plot between the two series. Also you need the first series to catch up with the daleks . One small caution - there is a double episode (The Empty Child and its sequel) which has some stuff about dubious s*xual orientation in it. Way over my dd's head, and nothing you can't skip past, but best to preview. I can't remember anything else dodgy, and we thought they did a great job with the revival - caught the essence of the original Doctor Who, with clever plots and special effects they couldn't have dreamt of back in the sink-plunger-dalek days of the 1960s. (Amazing how scary those sink plungers were, though!)

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 29 2006 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Kathryn UK wrote:
MacBeth wrote:
...we can't wait for the US to catch up, so we are getting the current series from the UK. Fun!

Are you getting the first revived series with Christopher Eccleston, or the first episodes of the current one with David Tennant?

We have seen both up to date (UK date). The US is still airing series one of the revived show.

As an old DW fan, I expected a new doctor...the kids were disappointed with the change, but then they liked David Tennant even more. We edited out the bits the were problematic, but Paul still had a nightmare about "The Empty child". Mind you, he loved the episode...it just disagreed with his subconscious. They all loved the Madame Pompadour episode, though (as did I). The new series is nicely done. After watching the originals, it was also fun to see the Daleks revived, in full color!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

MacBeth wrote:
We edited out the bits the were problematic, but Paul still had a nightmare about "The Empty child". Mind you, he loved the episode...it just disagreed with his subconscious. They all loved the Madame Pompadour episode, though (as did I).

Hannah's subconscious had the same problem with "The Empty Child" , as did the 9yo next door. Madame de Pompadour was the final straw and she has now edited herself out of Doctor Who.

Dh and I both think Christopher Eccleston was the all time best doctor - though we are enjoying David Tennant - narrowly beating our favourite "old" doctor, Tom Baker (number four) into second place. Both had the perfect level of quirkiness for Doctor Who.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Okay, so I missed The Office finale. (I was having a baby or something ) WHAT happened???    

I did tune in last week, and it was all to out of line funny that I laughed til I woke both little ones in my bed!!!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: June 01 2006 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Dh and I have one show we watch together each week -- 24. I totally love it and am addicted!    We originally saw season 2 on dvd a few summers ago. We were hooked and went back to rent season 1 and have watched each season since then. Yes, it calls for a willing suspension of disbelief -- some seasons more than others. But it keeps me on the edge of my seat and gets my adrenaline going like nothing else!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

teachingmom wrote:
Dh and I have one show we watch together each week -- 24.

I keep wondering when these people sleep! Will we see 8 episodes where they all just snooze? 24 makes me tired!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MacBeth wrote:
teachingmom wrote:
Dh and I have one show we watch together each week -- 24.

I keep wondering when these people sleep! Will we see 8 episodes where they all just snooze? 24 makes me tired!

They have 7 months to sleep. The new season doesn't start until January 2007!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, we don't get TV at all, just DVDs from Netflix, But I have a confession to make. It is the ONLY show we watch, but dh and I are absolutely mad about "The Sopranos"! Yikes! I know it is completely inappropriate, but it is absolutely addictive! We rented the first 5 seasons and watched them all over last summer. We couldn't wait for this season to come out on DVD so had my brother-in-law tape it for us and are waiting patiently for it to arrive in the mail any day now! Honestly, the characters remind me so much of my Italian-American family (except for the killing part, of course...) its just too funny.
So now you know the sordid truth. The shame...

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Christine

lapazfarm wrote:
Well, we don't get TV at all

Ditto, we chose not to get cable when we moved into our house, knowing that it would eliminate the possibility of watching TV programs. We det DVDs and videos from the library or blockbuster and we have a fairly large collection of Catholic DVDs (and some videos that are not yet available on DVD) and a few other movies that fit into the excellent category in our humble opinions. We have Friday Night Family Video Night, if the main parts of the house are clean. If they aren't clean, then we spend our time cleaning instead. My husband and I will occasionally watch a move together on a Saturday night, after the children are in bed.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2006 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I am so glad to see that others watch things like Dr. Who, and it isn't just us. My dd 16 will often walk in when we are watching something like that, and say, "you know, you are the only Catholic homeschoolers who watch this, right?" She is not a big sci-fi fan.....

I like Dr. Who, and I also loved Monarch of the Glenn when we had dish network. We have cable now and we don't get BBC America anymore    I also loved Farscape, but it isn't on anymore I also miss West Wing.

We just started watching "Lost" this week -- we rented it and are having fun with it.

We watch a LOT of food tv, as dd wants to be a pastry chef.

And right now - baseball.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

We put our TV away when I realized that I needed that space for school stuff.    It's in a cabinet in our basement storage room now and only gets pulled out when we REALLY want to watch something. Like the election of the Pope! It has to be something really good, otherwise it's not worth the trouble of setting the darn thing up.

I used to watch ER and the Law and Order shows. I love medical dramas and who-dun-its.

We've been (mostly) TV-free for over a year now, and I hardly miss it at all. I was just wondering the other day how in the world I got my chores and other stuff done before, b/c it seems like there's barely enough time now! I probably just spend the same amount of time on the computer.

Dawn    

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version