Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Trim Healthy Mama Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Martha

I'd love to hear more of your story, what you have done!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Erin wrote:
Martha

I'd love to hear more of your story, what you have done!

I started blogging some of it back in May under the category of food. (Ugh. I hate reading my own blog. Oh the typos! So painful to behold.)

http://marthaamdg.wordpress.com/category/food/

Long story short:

Last Thanksgiving we had a family picture on the front lawn and I was horrified at my girth. I decided I'd get serious about losing it after the holidays. Day after Christmas the whole house got gosh awful sick for a week. We all lost some weight and I decided that was God's way of jump starting my diet. ;)

I did the No S thing that has always keep me in line before and I lost some weight with it but not as quickly or as much as after previous babies. I started keeping track of food intake with My Fitness Pal app and I could stay with recommended calorie ranges but I never felt full and it didn't seem to be helping me lose more weight. At that point I'd lost 20lbs but you couldn't really tell and no matter what I did I could not see to budge the scale.

So I did some research and decided to give Whole30 a try. I liked that I could eat as long as it was compliant and I didn't have to track points or calories.

It was rough the first couple weeks bc there's some withdrawal doing on, but it was worth it and the results were pretty stark for me. A lot of aches and pains were greatly reduced. Things I thought were just part of the getting old, were greatly reduced. I slept better, still not as much as most people, but a big improvement. I had more energy. And though I didn't lose a lot of weight (about 10 pounds that 30 days) I lost nearly 4 inches in my waist. I had to go shop for pants because they were falling off me. I lost more inches with one month of whole30 and 10 pounds than all the previous weight combined.

I saw a big enough improvement to continue with whole30 and since it's not a fad temporary fix, it's safe to do at any age, including pregnant or breastfeeding (which I have been doing all along).

I was swimming in the pool we installed, but it's closed for the winter, so I've committed to doing Walk Away the Pounds 5 days a week. Why? Because I want to strengthen myself to avoid injuries. Because the more active I am the more I can eat. And because at this point I still want to lose those stubborn last 20 pounds, but I also want to build some muscle.

Day before Christmas I was teetering at 200kbs and a size 18 jeans.
Now I'm at 148 and size 8 jeans. (Same brand bought at the same store as my size 18s were.)

I'm in my fourth round of whole 30, ending in time for me to start cooking the thanksgiving feast. ;) I hope to either be a lot more toned by valentines day and or lose another 15-20. Now that I'm not obese, just a little over weight, my concern is mostly being more fit. At this point, Whole 30 is becoming less and less a "round" and more just how I eat now.

My husband is trying to convince me to do one of those then and now pictures after thanksgiving, but last thanksgiving was an aberration bc I have always hated having my photo taken.   We'll see. There will be a lot of wine flowing around here during the holiday. Maybe that will help me loosen up some.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Yes, pictures, Martha! Congratulations!! Impressive! Please toss some of that self-discipline my way. :)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

myheaven1967
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote myheaven1967

I just want to jump in here and say I bought and tried the THM method.
I think it must be wonderful but has some BIG flaws. It is NOT for everyone.
I had already lost the weight and was just looking to keep it off. When I truly began following the Trim Healthy Mama regime, I started getting MASSIVE Charlie horses. It was AWFUL. I would just lay there and cry. I followed THM strictly for about 2 months and it only got worse. I scoured the board for information as to why it was happening. So many people kept saying take a magnesium pill, take this take that.
Finally I decided to go back to what I had been doing, within days the Charlie horses were gone. I have had one since then. One.
I like what Martha said. I have been loosely following a paleo diet, an off shoot I guess of the Whole 30.
I am just recently trying a different approach. I have been using a exercise program that is called Ballet Beautiful by a retired ballerina. She has some information about nutrition too. More a whole foods, whole grains approach. I am seeing if my system can adjust. But I DO NOT want that weight back.
AND I want to make it through one - any one - of the Ballet Beautiful workouts without crying!
Jill

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That is awesome, Martha! Woohoo! The size drop is tremendous!

I was thinking about the big buzz Trim Health Mama has. Is it something about women that they want to be on some bandwagon and be following the "it" thing? I'm just not one for buzz or hip things, and I have never followed diets with the complicated recipes. I go for few basic ingredients and whole foods. If I've gotta make my PB from scratch, well then, I won't eat PB!

Maybe I don't get it because I've never been a groupie?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That is an interesting experience, Jill. What is the big difference between paleo and THM? Do you think it was because of the grains? dairy?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was looking at the Whole30 and it looks similar to this Total Body Modification Sugar Control Diet. A lot of people in my family have lost lots of weight and felt so much better doing this.

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

JennGM wrote:
I was looking at the Whole30 and it looks similar to this Total Body Modification Sugar Control Diet. A lot of people in my family have lost lots of weight and felt so much better doing this.

I think the Whole30 is much more rigorous, no dairy, no bread, no sugar at all. I also thought that they allow tea and coffee. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but the diet you linked to looks similar to the Perfect Health Diet.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We checked the book out, too.

My BIL was working with a chiropractor, who made this even more strict. He had no sugar of any kind, and no dairy for the first 3 weeks, then only butter or yogurt. And no coffee or tea at all, even decaf, because she is convinced decaf still contained caffeine. So while reading it sounds fine, it was very strenuous like Whole30. This print out is a little better. Perfect health allows white rice.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I have no idea about those other diets.

Whole does allow plain unsweetened tea and coffee.

It's none of these and no substitutes for these:

Legumes (including peanuts)
Dairy (including butter, but you can have ghee)
No grains (including rice, corn and all glutens)
No sugar (no honey, no molasses, no stevia, no sweets!)
No potatoes except for sweet potatoes
Very limited fruit (only real fruit w/o sweeteners or other stuff and only with meals)
No processed/chemically enhanced foods (no hotdogs for example)
No snack except for breast feeding and post work outs.
High protein and nutrient dense veggies and the foundation of every meal.
I feel like I'm missing something.

I haven't been perfect with it, but each round I've made improvement. I never in a millions years would have thought I'd ever stomach black coffee a year ago. Now I do. :)

I like it bc it doesn't focus on what I'm avoiding or numbers. It focuses on what I can eat and eating plenty of it. And it's healthy enough to bc a way of life instead of a stop gap. And when I've stopped, I didn't gain anything back. I didn't keep losing between rounds, but I did not gain either.

I don't really reintro foods like W30 suggests. I just decide in advance during non w30 times that some occasions don't have to be 100% compliant and try to use moderation on that occasion. And I try to be sure not to bring stuff in the house that will tempt me to excess or indulgence.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

myheaven1967
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 16 2013 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote myheaven1967

Yes dairy played a major role and so did all the artificial sweeteners. I think that was the biggest culprit. They spout that they are safe, but like a diet soda, once you drink it you want more, i found that with the other sweeteners as well. The only one that I still use is stevia and I had been using that all along.
I read a post a day or so ago that talked about how the woman finally jumped off the THM bandwagon because she was losing her hair!
I think simple and natural is really our best option.
Just my opinion though.

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I had mentioned before that I did the DASH diet to lower my BP and it definitely did that..but they did have a lot of fake sugars, etc. I just can’t do those, I feel horrible when I do. So...I have really taken a lot of wheat out, I actually probable eat more at times than I used to, but it isn’t the constant carb fest that I indulged in. Carbs.....they really mess me up, and I LOVE them so much!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version